Author Topic: 1897!!!! YOU SEND ME!!  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1897!!!! YOU SEND ME!!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »
My grandmother also had the same number of children as your grandmother did with the same age difference between the oldest and the youngest.  Was your grandmother Italian and from the Bronx with a last name beginning with "P"?

This proves that Judith and Carl could be from the same mother as well as the difference in the ages of Barnabas and Sarah.

my greatgrandmother had 12 children and the oldest was 26 when the last one was born ick! the poor woman was always nursing!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 11:37:54 PM »
This proves that Judith and Carl could be from the same mother as well as the difference in the ages of Barnabas and Sarah.

Is the birth order of the 1897 siblings established in the DS Canon?  I thought Quentin ws the youngest, not Carl.  But I didn't think it was actually stated.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 12:34:52 AM »
When Petofi shows up things seriously slide

I couldn't disagree more. Petofi is one of the greatest, most erudite characters/villians DS ever created - and Thayer David plays him to perfection.  (IMG)
  I can't even begin to imagine 1897 without him.

Petofi is also my favorite in 1897.  My favorite performance from 1897 has to be David Henesy as Jameson, possessed by Petofi.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 12:54:32 AM »
Is the birth order of the 1897 siblings established in the DS Canon?  I thought Quentin ws the youngest, not Carl.  But I didn't think it was actually stated.

I don't think so either.  Quentin was 26 when the 1897 story began (born October 28, 1870), but I don't believe any clues were given that we could use to pinpoint the ages of his 3 siblings.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 01:22:58 AM »
I always thought the birth order was this:  Judith; Edward; Quentin, and Carl.  Judith I pegged as being mid-forties, Edward around 40-or-very-late-thirties, Quentin - of course - 26, and Carl maybe 23-or-so.  Between Edward and Quentin, Ma and Pa Collins weren't talking.  It had to do with a fight they had over who would be the best presidential candidate in 1856:  Buchanan or Fremont.  And you thought the Bush/Kerry civil disagreements were bad.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 01:33:46 AM »
Perhaps it's natural to presume Carl is the youngest because he's childish.

But it's my experience that the youngest child in a family is usually the most indulged and spoiled.  That would be Quentin, in my opinon.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'm the baby in my family.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 09:01:12 AM »
I don't recall if anything was said, but I was always under the impression that Carl was the youngest. 
Josette

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:55:19 AM »
Between Edward and Quentin, Ma and Pa Collins weren't talking.  It had to do with a fight they had over who would be the best presidential candidate in 1856:  Buchanan or Fremont.  And you thought the Bush/Kerry civil disagreements were bad.

LOL   ;D

Well, all I can say is....since the Bush/Kerry crap, husband and wife are barely talking around HERE !!!
I discovered that if I were running for president my own husband wouldn't even vote for me.  (that's gratitude for ya).  And all because I said I would take a couple of billion out of the Pentagon and put it toward funding for the arts!

:P

The hell with him.

PS  I agree with Raineypark.  I've always thought of Quentin as the youngest.   :-*
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2004, 04:07:58 AM »
I always thought the birth order was this:  Judith; Edward; Quentin, and Carl.  Judith I pegged as being mid-forties, Edward around 40-or-very-late-thirties, Quentin - of course - 26, and Carl maybe 23-or-so.  Between Edward and Quentin, Ma and Pa Collins weren't talking.  It had to do with a fight they had over who would be the best presidential candidate in 1856:  Buchanan or Fremont.  And you thought the Bush/Kerry civil disagreements were bad.

I always thought that Edward was the eldest since Grandmama Edith said he was... I believe she wanted to pass on something and said only the eldest could know, then of course Judith would be second and Carl third leaving Quentin to be the Baby.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 04:31:32 AM »
I guess since John Karlen is almost eight years older than David Selby, I assumed Carl was older than Quentin.  I guess they never really said and they do make Carl very child like so maybe he is the youngest.

Murph

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 03:11:57 AM »
I thought that Quentin was older than Karl because he was so much more experienced with women. ;D  Quentin had been around the block a few times by the time Karl returns with Pansy.  [spoiler]Also, Quentin had already been married and was the father of twins.  Young Karl on the otherhand, becomes engaged to a dance hall girl and brings her home to get the family approval because he wants to marry her.[/spoiler]From the way he acted, I would think he had at least been pretty much shielded from women and Pansy might have been his first love.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 05:13:27 AM »
At the risk of repeating myself......I don't think Carl's child-like behaviour is indicative of his place in the family birthdays.

The older siblings do not find Carl amusing....they think he's annoying and stupid.

If he was meant to be the youngest of the tribe, I think they would have been more indulgent of his 'quirks' and less likely to scold him, or threaten him with dire consequences for his pranks.

I think they treated him the way they did precisely because he was NOT the baby.
Dylan Thomas

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 08:13:44 AM »
Well, here's the thing.
Quentin and Carl are fairly close in age.  When Quentin was born he was immediately the favorite - the "good-looking" one, bright, precocious, etc.  Carl was jealous - resentful.  He was no longer the center of attention.  (Judith and Edward also resented Quentin 'cause he was able to get away with things.  They considered him spoiled).  Anyway, Carl's practical jokes were an attention-getting device.  He was pretty much thrown over and ignored in favor of his younger brother.  He never grew up.  Years later he was still in search of that attention.

As far as Quentin being more experienced with women, that has nothing to do with his age compared with Carl.  Carl was just never someone who women were particularly attracted to.  Quentin had learned from an early age that he was appealing to the opposite sex and learned how to cultivate that charm and use it to his advantage.  He also had quite a bit of confidence because he was always hearing from as far back as he could remember, how good-looking and handsome he was, etc.  All this stuff was very difficult for Carl to come to terms with and grow up around.

AND....there ya have it.  LOL

-CLC
Authority on Quentin  (in my own mind)   ::)

;D

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 01:15:13 AM »
I belong to the DVD club and have been watching the eps as often as I can. Given vacations, extended work days, etc. I have just started collection 12. I'm probably just behind Miss Winthop. Having seen the entire series several times, I'm trying to focus on performances and loose ends. I must agree with Josette that the 1795 story is my favorite. It doesn't depart from it's purpose; which is to explain Barnabas' early life and subsequent affliction. The age differences are glaring, but back in the "early days" many people looked older than their actual age; botox, etc. was pretty much unknown, and it wasn't unusual for a child to be as old or older than the stage parent. I also loved most of 1897; it became a little convoluted as it progressed. As Petofi, TD delivered his lines with artistic excellence----but to me, he became boring as a character. I began to wait and hope that the story would soon return to the present. I'm still mystified as to Adam's fate. One day he's there----then he's gone!! Regardless of my likes and dislikes, DS is the greatest show EVER!
                                                         Misty [8_2_74]
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 06:59:08 AM »
I love 1897! It's my favorite storyline as I've already said earlier.

I think that Quentin is the youngest. I even came up with a storyline about why he is so spoiled. His name means the fith born. (This was before the sloppy 1840 storyline when they had another Quentin and had the 1897 Quentin be his namesake.) Anyway back to my theory. Edward is the oldest, Judith is the second child, Carl is the third child, then their mother lost a child, so when their fifth child is born his parents dote on him not only becausehe's the youngest but because of the child they lost, and they name him Quentin,so everyone will always remember the child who is no longer with them.

I also remember when [spoiler]Quentin was in Petofi's body,[/spoiler]he told Judith that he could "see" things about people, and told her about Quentin hiding behind a chair and witnessing their nanny punishing her for something. This would imply that Judith isn't that much older than Quentin even though I thought she was until I saw this scene.

Misa