Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1062  (Read 704 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1062
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:04 AM »
Robservations #1062

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1062

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »
The opening slide is reversed again. Apparently the trees didn't grow up on the ocean side of the house.
Carolyn is just as reluctant to talk as Mrs. J.  She is also quite batty. She has changed her name to Frdericks somewhere along the line. I picture some fortune hunter marrying her for her money and she kills him and keeps him in the back room. Her age makeup is really good, the wrinkles move with her. It seems strange that Barnabas is staying in the mausoleum when he lived in the ruins of the Old house prior to this and moved Coffins as if by magic. Naomi is moved to the side and Joshua takes her place in the crypt.
The town clerk and Eliot are as closed mouthed an cryptic as Carolyn.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »
Nancy Barrett does some of her best work in these episodes.
Julia and Barnabas are pleasantly surprised that Carolyn is living in the shack but Carolyn is certainly not happy to see them. Its apparent that something terrible has happened to Carolyn. Is it connected to what destroyed the house? Most likely but Carolyn seems unable or unwilling to answer their questions.
Barnabas sends Julia off to the courthouse in search of records pertaining to the Collins family from 1970. Not surprisingly, she hits hostility and a dead end. Perhaps Julia should have headed to the library instead of the courthouse where she could have spent the day researching in private. Better still, Barnabas could simply have bitten someone and gotten the truth out of them.
Julia's reunion with Eliot is no less fruitful than her encounters with Mrs. Johnson and Carolyn. Eliot is looking quite elderly but seems to have his wits about him. He cautions Julia that she and Barnabas should MYOB or they will be forced to act. Eliot should know that she and Barnabas are incredibly nosy and unlikely to back off. So what's next?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
1995 Carolyn!  Hair no different, odd.  She and Mrs. Johnson establish that this is not a PT future, though no one on the show seems concerned about that possibility.  I always thought this house was on the estate, but Barnabas says it was Roxanne's family's house in PT.  In town?  If so, how'd they reach it so fast and easily?  How did they know to go there, amd not any other building in town?  Mrs. J must have said, and I missed it. 

I suppose Carolyn amd Julia are about the same age now.  Stokes with a hearing aid.  Collinsport was founded in 1698.  The big guy, who played his wife in his photo?  Looks like some movie star I've forgotten. 

Closing credits-- the only science fictiony touch they throw in for 1995, a weird lamp they probably got at Spencer Gifts.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor