Author Topic: (Dirty Subject)  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: (Dirty Subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 02:35:35 PM »
What Count Dracula actually says in the movie is "I never drink.........wine".  Implying that if you see him with a glass to his lips, it's blood in that glass.  I don't recall that ever actually taking place in the original movie, but I'm certain that it's been used many times in other vampire productions.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 04:27:56 AM »
How could a vampire get drunk?

Is there some mention that there is no heart beat? (Which, of course if true, you couldn't get drunk, because the booze wouldn't flow to system.)

I would think that a Vampire must have something of a circulatory system albeit a rather slow one flowing though his vains, slow enough not to be detected by pulse or heartbeat... where would all the blood that he drinks go?
all the blood taken from his or her victim would just sit there in his or her stomach, giving poor vampie a tummy ache...  [santa_tongue]

How can a Vampire get drunk?...... perhaps that would depend on the richness of the blood..
no doubt a true a blue blood would intoxicate even Barnabas Collins  [santa_cheesy]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline jtfolden

• View Profile
    • Dark Shadows : Resurrected
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 07:11:10 AM »
What got me thinking about this, the other day on "Buffy", Spike (heretothough called 'Huba Huba') was wasted because Drew (heretothough called 'Skank') had left him.

Well, in the whole Buffy/Angel verse it's been established that there is no heart beat BUT that doesn't mean the circulatory system is inactive. Indeed, I've always imagined it to be a rather fast but "constant flow" system of some sort. This would explain how Spike (the BIG hubba hubba) could get drunk and, also, how vampire poisons might infect the whole body.

Btw, concerning coffins and dirt... I wonder if that wasn't mainly an idea that gained popularity with Dracula. If you read "Carmilla" which was, also, published in the late 1800's you'll find that she DID go out in daylight (with her parasol) and I do seem to recall that she could sleep in a normal bed.
http://www.darkshadows-resurrected.com/ - A Guide To The 1990's Revival Series
http://thebluewhale.darkshadows-resurrected.com - A brand new message board for the discussion of DS, Buffy / Angel, and more!
The Dream Is Alive

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »
Hi jtfolden,

I see you are still a llama. I finally took that off my profile.

I haven't read Carmilla or Dracula, but I plan to read them soon. I read a book called Tabitha Fffolkes, about vampires, where they could drink alcohol from their country of origin. It was a pretty good book, as I recall. I want to find another copy of it to re-read.

Can some of you who have read Dracula, and Camilla tell me if you enjoyed reading them?

Misa

PS
I was Tori at BarnabasUndead.com. Nice to see you over hear jtfolden.

Offline jtfolden

• View Profile
    • Dark Shadows : Resurrected
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2004, 05:49:13 AM »
Hi jtfolden,

I see you are still a llama. I finally took that off my profile.

Ha ha!  Would you believe I didn't notice that until now. I must be as blind as a vampire bat.

Can some of you who have read Dracula, and Camilla tell me if you enjoyed reading them?

I found Dracula to be a very good book. It's fairly richly written and I think it's actually sort of refreshing to go back and read the original text after decades of movies and copycat stories.

Carmilla is actually older than Dracula and, imo, a much more interesting read. The story itself is actually semi-short and is often found these days in books along with other vampire related short stories. As luck would have it, you can read this book online. I haven't checked it entirely to see if it's unabridged but I think that it is. It's not quite the same as having a nice hardback book to cuddle up in bed with but at least it's free! :)

The website is : http://www.sff.net/people/DoyleMacdonald/l_carmil.htm

I was Tori at BarnabasUndead.com. Nice to see you over hear jtfolden.

Nice to see you, as well!!

John
http://www.darkshadows-resurrected.com/ - A Guide To The 1990's Revival Series
http://thebluewhale.darkshadows-resurrected.com - A brand new message board for the discussion of DS, Buffy / Angel, and more!
The Dream Is Alive