Author Topic: Today (4/4/16) Current Talk Montage  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Today (4/4/16) Current Talk Montage
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »
'Page 15' (page??), "Joe says.........."

Who is this specific Joe? 90? 04? What's his real name and why do I know him?

Again, why PAGE (not ep)?

Actually, right now, waiting for the 2-min rule, on side montage, I see Barbara Steele (Julia, 90, right?), right underneath him is a man, who I'm 'ass-u-ming' is a Prof Stokes; is it?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Today (4/4/16) Current Talk Montage
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:49:46 AM »
It's page 15 because that slideshow is showcasing the '04 DS pilot's script (and for some odd reason the scenes aren't numbered in it, so we had to go with page numbers).

But when it comes to the April background for the '91 DS, I'm not sure which capture you're referring to. But whichever it is, the character isn't Prof. Stokes because 1) there is no Prof. Stokes in the '91 series because they sort of merged the characters of Stokes and Dr. Woodard into a character named Prof. Woodard, but 2) even he isn't in the April background. So could you please be a bit more specific as to which capture you're referring to? And then I'll be very happy to tell you who it is.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:20 AM »
He's right above Ben Cross/Barn.

But, again, what about the hottie on top montage/Main Page?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »
It's page 15 because that slideshow is showcasing the '04 DS pilot's script (and for some odd reason the scenes aren't numbered in it, so we had to go with page numbers).

I sounds like maybe what you have is the screenplay, not a shooting script, for the pilot?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »
Perhaps it is a screenplay - the term script and screenplay as so interchangeable these days. But save for numbering the scenes, everything else that we see in say, both original DS films' shooting scripts, is there - plus the addition of acts and commercial breaks. Who knows?  [idontknow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »

That would be Sheriff Patterson.  [ghost_smiley]

Oops, sorry about that. Yes, that's the Joe from the '04 pilot. His real name is Jason Shaw. You might have seen him on Charmed where he had a recurring role as Piper's fireman boyfriend. Or you might know him simply for having dated Paris Hilton back in the days when one couldn't avoid seeing coverage of her everywhere (like the Kardashians today  ::)).

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
the term script and screenplay as so interchangeable these days.

As I understand it, a preproduction screenplay or a screenplay written "on spec" (spec script) is not broken down into numbered shots.  It's only broken down to the "scene" level, and the scenes are not numbered.  Generally a scene is what takes place in one location at one point in time; if you change place or change time, such as go from the foyer to the drawing room, or stay in the tower room but go from 1971 to 1810, then it's a new scene.

And these versions would generally not include camera directions.  (And a spec script should not include camera directions--that point seems to be hammered quite a bit in screenwriting textbooks and classes.)  It's at the point when the director and cinematographer are working out the details of how the film will be shot that the shooting script with numbered shots would be developed.

Probably more info than you were really wanting...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »

Oops, sorry about that. Yes, that's the Joe from the '04 pilot. His real name is Jason Shaw. You might have seen him on Charmed where he had a recurring role as Piper's fireman boyfriend. Or you might know him simply for having dated Paris Hilton back in the days when one couldn't avoid seeing coverage of her everywhere (like the Kardashians today  ::)).

Ah, the two Michaels.  The sexiest men on 1991 DS!   [love7] [love7]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »
Probably more info than you were really wanting...

Actually, while I was aware of all that in the back of my mind, thanks for spelling it all out again because it reminded me that in addition to lacking scene numbers, there aren't any camera directions (like truck, pan, high angle, low angle, flash cut, close-up, etc.) in what I have for the '04 pilot, so it may indeed be the screenplay. Though when it comes to various DS shooting scripts, it's fascinating that even when those things are there, at least half the time DC never paid attention to them when he directed hoDS, NoDS, and even the pilot for the '91 series. Just look at how often I've had to point out that in the finished product things are often shot very differently...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:32:11 AM »
Piper's fireman/boycandy!

That's the ticket!

Thanks to all!

Patti

(Thought the story arc of 'Chris' coming back in time was probably the best on "Charmed".)
What a Woman!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »

OK, wait, I'm totally confused here after rereading my previous post and seeing more clearly what MB wrote.  (I guess I didn't get past "Joe" because I saw 1991 Joe right under Julia, and across the page from Barnabas/Vicki who are right under Sheriff Patterson.)  But where are there any pictures of the 2004 pilot in the montage(s)?  All I'm getting on any page are HODS, 1991, and 2012.  And the montage on any given page (along with the "Dark Shadows Forums" banner) will be different if I click on the banner, or go somewhere and come back, etc.  I think I'm ready for Windcliff...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
The slideshow for the '04 pilot is atop this board. Unfortunately though, there aren't many publicity stills or video clips available from the pilot, and there are quite a few instances when lines/scenes that were in the script didn't make it to the pilot, so not every quote for the slideshow has an actual still/capture in the graphic. And from time to time I cheated a bit and used an available photo/capture from right around the same time that the pilot was shot, which was the case with the photo of Jason Shaw that Patti referred to:

Page 15 - Joe: 'Easy! We haven't fogged up the windows
since High School.'

As I mentioned in the topic for the '04 slideshow:

And BTW, just as with the '91 DS, San Pedro's Ports O'Call stands in for Collinsport and its harbor. And while it's not an official photo connected to the pilot, the background photo used for the graphics for this scene is a actual shot of the location.

And before we get to the interior scene, I need to explain that because there aren't any publicly available photos of Jason Shaw as Joe (though let's not forget the forum's fantasy poster -
WB DS Ad Campaign?
- featuring Shaw), I chose to use a shot of him from a guest appearance on the WB's Charmed because it was shot not all that long before Shaw was cast in the DS pilot. And as a reminder, you will always know when a photo is not an official photo related to the pilot if you see it presented as an oval in a graphic.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
Jason Shaw seems to have been a very talented young man.

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 01:23:25 AM »
Okay, I thought "montage" referred to the pictures surrounding the forums, and "slideshow" referred to the slideshow...