Author Topic: Somewhat quiet 50th Anniversary  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat quiet 50th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
I think it's all down to several things.  The surviving cast members who are interested or able to attend are really getting on in years.  I was thinking about this and realizing that if what I have read is correct, Lara will be 80 next year.  Sobering but then I myself will be 59.  and I was 10 when I started watching back in 1968. 

Thanks to WorldVision, the series isn't on the air apart from the same small packet of shows periodically run on Decades.  The cult shows that get the marketing are either prominently available such as TZ and Outer Limits, or have more active rebootings such as Trek and the Apes sagas. 

As Michael commented, the marketing angle for DS was always sub-par, at least as far as I am concerned.  The best products in terms of design and flair were the gum cards. What does that tell you?

Hadn't heard about the lunchbox--that could be fun.  Some "Blu Ray" products might have stimulated at least some interest, but home video in physical format is widely regarded as going the way of the dinosaur. I myself am going to hang onto my discs until they are pried from my dead fingers because I don't really trust the "streaming" sites to have the content I want in the way I want it.  but then, I'm antediluvian, at this point.

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »
what can one really say about the circa 1980 registration process (checks? SASES???)???

so it is shaping up to be a somewhat lackluster anniversary. the PTB in charge are not the most ambitious or imaginative bunch and never have been.

I think that's what blows my mind the most. I can't believe they are still using this method. They won't bring many new attendees in this way. Gosh, I doubt anybody under the age of 25 even knows what a SASE is. lol. I know the Fest is mostly volunteer-based, and I appreciate the hard work that goes into it, but I really feel that things need a bit of a refresh. That entire website should be redesigned. It just feels like, "Eh, we know the same people will come back every year so why change anything?" DCP and JP should be actively promoting the heck out of DS this year, in an official capacity.

Sadly though, I don't think it's just TBTB that aren't all that into it. I asked a local con promoter who does a big convention in this neck of the woods every year about having a DS 50th anniversary reunion. He is usually into anniversaries for shows and movies, but his reaction was lukewarm. He didn't say "no" but also didn't seem that enthusiastic.

I suppose it will take a successful new TV series or movie to really jumpstart things again, and I don't see that happening again for awhile. One never knows, however!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 03:53:06 AM »
true...

I am pleased with a return to the full, 2+ day, hotel bound traditional fest. I'm not looking for "innovation" in terms of format. and as a non-driver schlepping all over the place isn't an option. a "contained" setup is much easier for me.

there's plenty to like. but in other ways it's a bit underwhelming.

I get the impression that TPTB are hoping this will be the last Festival. I don't think they're interested in revamping, changing the website or registration procedures (as others commented), or attempting to make the event any bigger. I'm in agreement with you Michael, I'm going for old time's sake and not looking for a great deal of change.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
I think that's what blows my mind the most. I can't believe they are still using this method. They won't bring many new attendees in this way. Gosh, I doubt anybody under the age of 25 even knows what a SASE is. lol.

I'm 35, and I had to look up what a SASE was. Of course once I figure it out, I was like duh, but my mind was blow that this is a method use.

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 04:26:47 AM »
I agree with The Doctor and K9. There seems to be little, if any, interest in updating any of the past festival practices. Perhaps this is indeed the last hurrah (though we've been told that before), so let's try and make the best of it.
Penny also raised a interesting question about other conventions. Two other major cult tv shows, Batman and Lost in Space, also hit the 50 year mark. Chiller Theatre, the Hollywood Collectors Show and several other conventions promoted the appearances of those cast members to much success. It's almost April and I have yet to see any similar promotion for DS.  I'm sure that Lara and Kathryn will hit bookstores promoting their next projects but the show itself certainly deserves the attention that Batman and LIS have received.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
I haven't attended in several years and must have fallen off the mailing list...

when I decided to attend this year I had totally forgotten this ridiculous registration process. the SASAES and multilayered mailing process really blew my mind.  [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »
"The Galloping Gourmet"...omg, haven't thought of that in years!

A DS board game??? I want one!!!

And, wasn't it about 12ish years ago, when some of the characters had 'bobble-heads'? Which characters had them? Which didn't? (Wouldn't you LOVE a Roger bobble-head!?!)

Yes, to have David H there would be great, seeing it's the 50th. Did anyone really try to go after him?

Wasn't A. Moltke at a 'recentish' fest for one day?

I WANT A BOARD GAME...AND SOME BOBBLE-HEADS!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »
A DS board game??? I want one!!!

I had both games (the Milton Bradley skeleton game, and the Whitman board game) back when they came out--I was 11 or 12 years old.  Neither one was terribly exciting, and I didn't play them very often.  I think what would be wonderful would be a game along the lines of Talisman (formerly published by Games Workshop, now published by Fantasy Flight Games).  Back about 20-odd years ago I used to play Talisman with a group of friends, and I think one time we went halfway through the night.  With all of the storylines and characters in DS, I think there are many possibilities for creating a fun and exciting role-playing adventure board game.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »
From what I recall, Alexandra attended an event honoring Dan Curtis at the Museum of Television in LA about ten years ago (a very rough chronological estimate).

I do not recall her ever attending a DS festival type event.  On one of her video commentaries, she somewhat impishly suggested that one could be held via seance, sometime...

G.

Offline Claude North

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
The publicity machine most likely burnt out in 2012 with the Depp film.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »
I haven't attended in several years and must have fallen off the mailing list...

I have a friend who hasn't attended a Fest since '04, and he received a copy of the mailing - though he's attended more than one Fest, so that could be why he's still on the list.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
I had both games (the Milton Bradley skeleton game, and the Whitman board game) back when they came out--I was 11 or 12 years old.  Neither one was terribly exciting, and I didn't play them very often.

The Barnabas Collins game (the one with the skeletons) is pretty childish. It says ages 6 to 14, but I doubt any kid over ten would enjoy it. But on the other hand, I always enjoyed playing the Dark Shadows game. At least it's geared to ages 8 to Adult and requires a bit of skill. Though I haven't played it in years and years...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
Alexandra has never been to a festival as such. She had expressed an interest in attending the first one back in 1983. She had written a letter that was read to the attendees, citing a conflict with a trip to Europe.
The Museum of Broadcasting was the only DS related event attended by her, Kate Jackson and Dan Curtis.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »

As Michael commented, the marketing angle for DS was always sub-par, at least as far as I am concerned.  The best products in terms of design and flair were the gum cards.

The gum cards were cool, but my favorite piece of DS memorabilia is the Majestic 1795 Barnabas action figure. I'm not counting the actual DVDs of course. If you are only talking about stuff that came out while the show was still on, then the cards are probably my favorite, especially the green set.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:33 AM »

I have a friend who hasn't attended a Fest since '04, and he received a copy of the mailing - though he's attended more than one Fest, so that could be why he's still on the list.

I've been to at least 4 or 5. but I've moved a couple times and haven't attended since 2011. for whatever reason I stopped getting the mailing a few years ago.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.