Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1041  (Read 1152 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1041
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
Robservations #1041

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1041

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »
How will escaping help prove Q's innocence?  Did Ang make a case for this to Q offscreen?  He's rich.  He can employ people to act for him.  They could dig up any helpful evidence.  Q on the lam is less free to act in the world than Q in jail is.  He'll have to hide, not play detective.  I suppose "Alexis" just seems so trustworthy that if she says so, Q trusts her.  Maybe he's reeling from everything, and doesn't trust his own judgment.  As well he shouldn't.

Hamilton went down believably.  That seemed fairly real.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:28 PM »
Welcome, KARATE CHOP! We see our first one on the show in this episode. After all, it was 1970, and everyone was doing it.

"Alexis" seems to hint that Quentin could "solve" Angelique's and Bruno's murders if he's not in jail. Somehow that's enough to convince Quentin.  [snow_huh]

Inspector Hamilton finds Quentin standing over Bruno's body and Mirandizes Quentin right then and there, arresting him on suspicion of Bruno’s murder--pending results of the coroner’s report. Quentin makes free with Bruno’s ROTARY-DIAL phone to call his lawyer, who has a four-digit number. Inspector Hamilton doesn’t care about fingerprints any more than the rest of the Collinsport constabulary.

What lawyer could Quentin possibly call? Larry Chase is dead, and Chris Collins is missing in action.

Ange does her best to plant the idea in Maggie's head that Quentin killed Bruno by saying that surely he couldn't have.

Hamilton has allowed Quentin to pack a few things for jail. His leather suitcase looks like something you'd see only at some fancy luggage store. For some reason, Quentin opens a drawer in Maggie's dresser--to steal her hairbrush?  [snow_huh]  He promptly finds the mini Apollo Belvedere where Ange put it. He quickly shuts the drawer before the inspector sees it, but at this point I’d say it’s not for Maggie’s sake but only because he prefers being suspected of murder rather than of insanity for suspecting witchcraft. Finally he tells Hamilton, I have nothing more to say--and even if I did, I’m sure you wouldn’t believe a word of it!

As Quentin comes down the stairs to the foyer, Maggie asks him, What should I tell Daniel? Eyeing her coldly now on account of the “voodoo doll,” Quentin replies, You should say I was called away on business. Why are you looking at me that way? Maggie asks. Quentin replies, I’m wondering what you think about everything. I don’t know, Maggie replies. It happened so suddenly. I don’t think so, Quentin says. What do you mean? Maggie asks. Quentin watches her carefully as he answers, I don’t know. Aware that the inspector is watching and listening, Quentin says, I want you to think about a lot of things. I feel the same, Maggie replies. And without another word or a farewell embrace for his wife, just a long, silent look, the Master of Collinwood departs for the police station, unaware of Maggie’s surprised hurt and confusion. Just outside the door, however, Hamilton comments, Your wife seems to think you might be guilty. Why don’t you ask her about that, Quentin replies. That’s a good idea, the inspector says.

Anxious to help, Barn is Quentin's first visitor. Quentin tells him about finding the "voodoo doll" (as everyone calls it) in Maggie's dresser. Barn is outraged at the idea that Maggie is practicing witchcraft.

Back at the Great House, Julia bitterly regrets that she and Barnabas didn’t destroy the life force when they had the chance--she actually stamps her foot in frustration. If we had killed the woman, none of this would have happened, she insists. (She doesn’t say outright that she blames Barnabas, but she’d probably like to.) To his credit, Barnabas admits she’s probably right. Julia points out the irony of the situation: If we destroy the body now, we would destroy the actual murderer too. We can’t afford to let anything happen to Angelique, Barnabas agrees, or we would have no way of proving she was behind everything. Drawing close to Julia, he tells her, I know that it is a great risk for you, but I want you to stay with her as often as you can and keep me informed about her plans.

Ange baits Maggie some more about Quentin. I’m not sure I want Quentin to come back now, Maggie admits. Even Cyrus Longworth, his dearest friend, believed that Quentin killed Angelique and lied about it to protect him. “Alexis” instantly jumps to Quentin’s defense: Although he has a bad temper and is prone to jealousy, he couldn’t have killed Angelique, because if he had-- then she breaks off, but as Angelique intended, Maggie finishes the dreadful thought, wondering aloud just how many murders her husband has under his belt. Angelique declares, We must both have faith in Quentin, and we must be true to that faith!

At the police station at 4:25, Hamilton tells Quentin that bail has been revoked: The coroner’s report has come back, and things look pretty bleak for Quentin--there are hand marks on Bruno’s throat, so it’s no longer mere suspicion of murder. Under the circumstances, Hamilton is also going to order an autopsy on the first Mrs. Collins. The prospect fills Quentin with horror (remember, he and Cyrus burned the body of “Angelique”), and he tries to forbid it. The inspector says he can’t do a thing about it because they can just get a court order. Are you afraid of what we’ll find? he wonders.

Maggie hangs up the ROTARY-DIAL phone after talking with Quentin’s lawyers and tells Barnabas that things have gone from bad to worse. She also tells him that the police have Cyrus’s journal now. Both Cyrus and Angelique were trying to protect Quentin, Maggie says. I only wish I had that much faith in him. Barnabas tries to comfort her and assures her that Quentin is innocent. They can help him as long as he cooperates with the authorities and doesn’t panic. For the first time, Maggie looks unsure.

Quentin’s last visitor for the night (at 4:32) is “Alexis,” who acts upset when Quentin tells her bail was denied. He says that doesn’t bother him as much as what the authorities will do when they discover there’s no body to exhume. They’re going to ask him and her a lot of questions, Angelique realizes. Quentin thinks the situation is hopeless. She says only as long as he’s sitting around in jail. That leaves only one alternative, which even Quentin guesses. “Alexis” says she’s willing to do anything to help him solve Bruno’s and Angelique’s murders.

In his office, Inspector Hamilton is on the ROTARY-DIAL phone arranging for the exhumation and autopsy of the first Mrs. Collins when he hears a piercing scream from Quentin’s cell. He rushes in, Quentin knocks him out with a karate chop and runs out the door, and the closing credits roll over the ascot-wearing mini Apollo Belvedere....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
Quentin is arrested for murder. Bruno's body is gone, but nobody seems to notice. This fits in nicely with the plan to exhume A's body that no longer exists and wasn't really A anyway.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »
Any interesting history about the "Apollo Belvidere", DL?  Strange name for a figurine.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
Here is a pic of the original "Apollo Belvedere," at the Vatican Museum. I've never seen it in person, but I hope to--someday....

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
I think that there is a reference to there being other partners in the law firm besides Larry and Chris. Chris is technically still around, just not in camera.
So, in addition to Angelique watching Julia to watch every more than Barnabas makes, he now wants Julia to watch Angelique fu time. And she's supposed to be the housekeeper as well? And resurrect Roxanne at some point? Quite the multi gasket if she can do all that!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:25 AM »
Vampires work from sun(set) to sun(rise), but a woman's work is never done.  [snow_rolleyes]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:11:15 AM »
Here is a pic of the original "Apollo Belvedere," at the Vatican Museum. I've never seen it in person, but I hope to--someday....

Oops, "The page cannot be displayed".  I can Google, thanks... And good one DL... (woman's work etc)   

UR, "Quite the multi gasket if she can do all that!"?  Multi-tasker maybe?  If that was Autocorrect, everyone should stop using it immediately.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »
Yeah, Autocorrect makes me want to bust my multi gasket.  [bnghd] [bnghd] [bnghd]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »
The day I figured out how to turn off the AutoCorrect on my phone was one of the happiest days of my life.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 02:43:15 AM »
Okay, now I know not to blame people.  I didn't know AutoCorrect was dumped on one's phone without permission.  Typical that they'd even "save" people from making that decision.  I think we're being conditioned to lean more and more on new tech, while understanding it less and less, making the basics of our lives mysteries that only the corporations that provide the tech can sort out for us.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Very well said, MT!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 02:58:31 AM »
Thanks DL.  The discouraging stuff I have too many thoughts about.