Author Topic: Questions: 2012 v. OS  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Questions: 2012 v. OS
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:08:40 AM »
Just watched 2012 DS.

I have a few questions.

First, and I believed I've asked this twice already; to me, one of the shots of the ocean waves crashing on the rocks looks EXACTLY like one on the OS. Does anyone know if Burton was allowed to borrow this?

Second, it was Michelle P as Liz while holding a shotgun.
I cannot even imagine Joan Bennett holding a shotgun, but, did she ever hold a pistol?

Eva/Ang telling Michelle/Liz, "Your pedigree lacked substance, so I sent the werewolf to bite Carolyn in her crib".

I realized, I can't remember how Quentin became a werewolf SPOILER....was it the Count, and, if so, why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A vampirical question, but I only thought of it during the movie. Barn goes into Ang's office (2nd time), she has a glass of blood for him.

Do vampires have to bite their victims? I think my first entre to this not being true would be Angel, nearing the end of his run on "Buffy" (she sees him at the butcher's shop).

Please, please, if you know either way about the above mentioned waves crashing, let me know....it (to me) REALLY looks like a shot from the OS.

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Online Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: 2012 v. OS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:37:34 AM »
Patti, I can't help with most of this, but Quentin became a werewolf because of Magda's curse.  When she learned that he had killed Jenny, she put the curse on him.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
Did Joan Bennett ever hold a pistol?  Man is that a "loaded" question... who shot whom in that love triangle, anyway?  There was Fritz Lang, and I forgot her husband's? name...

In films, after seeing Joan in Scarlet Street, I can imagine her doing anything.

Barnabas started out in 1967 drinking siphoned cow blood that Willie would go and get for him.  No cow bites necessary.  Blood gets old fast, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »
Walter Wanger, was the hubby. (Until someone pipes in with the correct answer, Lol).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
Yes, I believe he went on to direct "Cleopatra", at first anyway, and was very badly treated by the studio in that fiasco... I got that from the DVD extras.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
Joan wielded a pistol in an episode during the 1897 storyline, but she was in the role of Judith Collins at that point.

I'm far from an authority on the topic of the Burton/Depp film but I feel quite sure that Burton just included a shot of the waves that he chose (or perhaps deliberately manipulated with computer tech--I would actually be interested to read something about how the film was processed because a lot of the screenshots have such an extraordinarily painterly look to them--pity the content was so naff)--that was meant to mimic the famous opening credits sequence on the OS.

Vampires and blood--I have a memory of Julia supplying Barnabas at some point with medically obtained blood, but I realized that that may be a false memory--that may never have been explicitly stated.  In the Malcolm Marmorstein scripts in 1967, it was again implied that Willie was draining cattle of their blood to service Barnabas's needs.  Pretty gruesome stuff.  Some fans think that Barnabas himself was going out in the fields to nip the kine himself, but there's a scene where Barn grimly orders Willie out of the house with "You know what you must do."

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:58 AM »
It was Joan's agent, Jennings Lang who was shot by her husband Walter Wanger. Walter had the idea that Joan and Jennings were fooling around. He caught them together and shot Jennings. In the crotch. Top that, Kim Kardashian!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
I've always thought that once Barn agreed to let Julia treat him, she probably raided the Collinsport Hospital's blood supply--discreetly, of course, to avoid attracting any unwanted attention to him or to herself.

I wonder if Barn was a universal recipient or whether Julia had supply him with just one blood type.

JB's agent was really named JENNINGS LANG??!! Good grief.  [snow_shocked]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
Yes, indeed! Lang recovered and became a film producer. Some of his films were Earthquake, Airport 1975 and Play Misty For Me.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:44 PM »
I'm glad he recovered! That's quite a portfolio of later movies!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Thanks, Unc Rog.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:27:48 AM »
Gothick.....thank you!

I did say Liz, but, also Joan.

I was only referring to Elizabeth/and other incarnations. I was pretty sure her character(s) DID in fact hold a pistol. Are we sure Elizabeth Stoddard didn't hold a pistol on anyone?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, when you all mentioned Fritz Lang, I bought a few movies. I then watched & said that would be the last.

I re-watched them ('Secret Behind the Door' and 'Ministry of Fear'), really liked them.  [snow_shocked]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »
Patti, did you watch Fritz Lang's "M," with Peter Lorre? Grim but fantastic.

Actually, Elizabeth Stoddard did hold a gun on someone--well, almost. When she was a Leviathanite, Jeb told her to kill Julia. So in true Elizabeth Collins Stoddard style, she hid a gun in a gold lame bag. She took the gun out but couldn't bring herself to shoot Julia.