Author Topic: OT-Dracula: Dead and Loving It  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT-Dracula: Dead and Loving It
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:44:18 AM »
Looking for something to watch on TV tonight, I noticed that one of my local stations was showing Dracula: Dead and Loving It, a Mel Brooks comedy from 1995 starring Leslie Nielsen, so I decided to check it out. One thing that I'd completely forgotten until the credits rolled was that it also stars Lysette Anthony (the '91 DS' Angelique) as the unfortunate Lucy Westenra:

Lysette had a few good moments, but not as many as some of the other actors. Lucy's staking was quite funny (and how often can you say a vampire's staking is funny? :D), but Lysette wasn't actually in the scene because Lucy's body was down inside the coffin where you couldn't see it.

Overall, the movie's gags ranged from stupid to hilarious - but then, isn't that true of all Mel Brooks' movies?  ;)  But definitely one of the most hilarious scenes had to be when Dracula was trying to summon Mina from her room and his telepathic signal was also picked up by the maid in the room. The way it was shot was very reminiscent of similar scenes from the '91 DS, and all I could think of was how hysterical it would have been had the same thing happened to Ben Cross' Barnabas. I was laughing so hard that tears were running down my face!  ;D  If you notice that the movie is also running your area, it's worth catching it just for that scene alone.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT-Dracula: Dead and Loving It
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 03:24:47 PM »
Oh, my gosh, MB, that scene where Count Leslie Nielson was trying to telepathically get Mina to come while the maid was also picking it up still causes me to roll on the floor every time I see it!  To me, that was one of the most hysterical scenes ever in a Mel Brooks film.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:35:28 PM »
It was so funny to have this show up on the TV set as my roommate and I were getting ready to run that evening's rental--the DVD of Taste the Blood of Dracula.  As fate would have it, when I had the movie on it was the scene where the Undead Lucy is trying to lure her fiance into her embrace.  It was obviously a send-up of several similar scenes from classic Hammer films.  Unfortunately I didn't bother continuing to watch, so I missed the actual staking (I find the pacing of Mel Brooks later work really uneven, in a distracting way--there was some gag or other he was dragging out unnecessarily in this sequence, which made it all too easy for me to switch to my movie).

G.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:30:45 PM »
at 10:44pm on Oct 16th i was watching the Red Sox and thinking of  staking myself....
i needed some "fun" at that moment wish i had changed the channel  :o

jennifer

i have hurt my foot and am taping my ankle to go to work tonight we're tough here in Boston!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the great screen grabs, MB!  I've never seen it, but now that you've brought it up I noticed that WGN Superstation or whatever it's called has it on its schedule, so set your VCRs before you head out to celebrate Halloween:

Sunday, October 24, 3:30 a.m. Eastern (12:30 a.m. Pacific), also
Sunday, October 31, 8:00 p.m. Eastern (11 p.m. Pacific)

i have hurt my foot and am taping my ankle to go to work tonight we're tough here in Boston!

No kidding!  ;)  Hope your ankle is feeling better, jennifer.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:30:55 PM »
Ooh, probably more accessible, it's also airing next Saturday (10/30) afternoon on (ugh) the WB.  Check your listings for the time in your area.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:04:10 PM »
Hope your ankle is feeling better, jennifer.

thanks midnite it is much better i should have added nurses are tough too! this is one of my favorite
weeks of the year because of all the horror movies!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV