Author Topic: OT - Something Scary This Way Comes  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Something Scary This Way Comes
« on: October 18, 2004, 03:25:47 AM »
Since it's that time of year for spooks and goblins, and this is a place where we share our interest in things gothic, and we have witches and spectres scooting across our screen, I thought I'd share an experience I had back in August, hoping it's not too off-topic.

I was asked by some friends to housesit whilst they took a much needed vacation out west for two weeks.  My duties would also include doggie-sitting their pooch, which happens to be a pit-bull terrier.  Now, despite the reputation of these canines, he's a gentle little beast, actually shy, who is fearful of new people and will hide behind furniture.  I got him to welcome me into his heart the first times I went over to my friends' house by bribing him with a milk-bone.  After that, he would crawl into my lap and lick my face non-stop.  It's rather something having a pit-bull with that huge mawl with all those pounds-per-square-inch pressure lapping away at you.

For the two weeks I would be there, I would have the run of the place (including the use of a wonderful jacuzzi).  Although the house is not old (built in the sixties), it's large and spacious, spread out in wings, located in a wooded urban section of the town where it's situated.  It was not uncommon to have deer meander through the front and back yards.  The day my friends were leaving, one of them, as he carried luggage into their vehicle, said to me:  "You do know about our ghost, don't you?"  I thought he was just joshing, but he insisted that he was quite serious.  Now, although I love the whole thing of ghoulies and ghosties and log-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night (why else would I love DS?), I'm generally a skeptic and unbeliever.  I didn't take to heart what he said.

So, did anything happen while I was there?  Three things come to mind.

The first had to do with the dog.  It would happen - usually at night - that I would be in the TV family room, the pit-bull curled up on the couch next to me, when he would suddenly sit up, his ears at attention, staring at a wall, corner or doorway as if something were there.  Sometimes he would remain there; other times he would jump off and cautiously (acting as he does when he is before a stranger) move closer to whatever caught his attention, and then begin the low growl which would turn into a bark.  And then he'd take a couple steps backwards, never averting his eyes, and finally calm down, as if whatever he saw - but obviously invisible to me - left, taking one last look and returning to his position next to me on the couch.

The second happened while I was bathing (shades of Psycho here).  The dog was curled up on the bathmat - he rarely left my side when I was in the house.  Then, from somewhere seemingly inside the house, came a long, drawn-out moan that turned into a mournful sigh, echoing throughout.  Its source seemed to be from the first floor, but very obviously within the house.

And then there was the third.  At night, in the guest bedroom, the pit-bull would sleep with me, crawling under the covers, going way down to my feet, curling himself around them.  Throughout the entire night he never moved, and I wondered how he, especially a dog of that size, could breathe, but there he remained.  One night, I was sound asleep and something woke me, a sound.  When the fog cleared from my mind I was able to determine what it was.  Someone was walking back and forth over the hardwood floor in my room.  At first I though it was the dog (he's very muscular and heavy), but then I realized that:  a) he was still under the covers, curled around my feet, and b) the sound was definitely human, not the click-click-click of dog toenails on hardwood.  The footsteps continued their promenade around the room and then exited, me hearing a few creaks of the top steps of the staircase which then abruptly stopped.

So there you have it, your Halloween treat.  Was I scared at any time, even when experiencing that "phenomena?"  No.  First, like I said, I'm a skeptic, so I just figure that there is a rational explanation for it all.  Second, when you have a pit-bull at your side every minute, even a skittish one, you have a tendency of feeling secure.  I'm sure, if pressed, it could've turned any, ol' spook into lunch.

Boo!

Gerard

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Something Scary This Way Comes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 05:22:28 AM »
Thank You Gerard for this spooky trick or treat... no doubt your furry companion made it clear you were his friend to protect you so well... :D
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:08:56 AM »
Wow Gerard! Sounds like a real haunting to me.  I wonder who it could be though?  It would be interesting if your friends could find out the history of their house and who the occupants were before them.  Maybe one of them died in the house and doesn't want to leave.  Have they ever considered having a psychic investigation done in their house?

All in all I think you were pretty brave to stay in that house!  Even with a pit bull by my side I'd probably run out of there like a bat out of hell!   :o

(it's a good thing the ghost didn't follow you home)  ;)

Thanks for sharing this!  It was interesting!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:47:25 PM »
The spook doesn't bug my friends in the least, Cassandra.  One is a skeptic so shrugs it off and ignores it; the other is more of a believer, but is not bothered by it.  The pit-bull is more focused on chasing chipmunks and barking at deer.  I don't think they know much about the history of the house.  They got it for a song as it was re-"possessed" from the previous owner, not from ghosties but from something far more ghoulish:  the bank.  Right now, they are fixing it up.  What is truly horrifying is the old wallpaper.  They also have a new dishwasher, a marvel of technology.  It has two separate compartments, so one can do dishes in one and pots and pan in another, the whole thing computer operated.  With something like that, I don't begrudge some spectre from hanging around.  They probably have to do dishes by hand on the other side.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:40:04 PM »
They probably have to do dishes by hand on the other side.

If I still have to do freakin' dishes on the Other Side, by hand or otherwise, I'm NOT GOING!!!  >:(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:31:23 PM »
 :'(

I agree with Raineypark!  If that's the way it's going to be.... .... I'M NOT GOING!!!!!!
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:01:39 AM »
me too!!!!

jennifer

and Gerard i also would have ran from the house like shaggy and scooby doo!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:22:11 AM »
Wow!!!!!  When I saw this last night I didn't have much time, so skimmed it too quickly to get any of the details.  I figured I better wait until I'd have time to actually read it  :)

I'm a skeptic too, but some of those instances really sound like there's something to it.  But, how about your friend casually mentioning it to you as he's leaving?!!!  Supposing it would have really bothered you - you'd either be stuck or he'd be left without someone to watch the house!
Josette

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »
Hi Gerard, Thanks for the cool story!!!  Any-way
maybe it was " perhaps" ( as Dr Hoffman would
say)   Garth BlackWood!!!!!!
                  Love Anne :)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow