Author Topic: This week's other "Frankenstein", with yet another 2004 DS cast member  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Zap2it called it "pastiche" [because it's inspired by Shelley's novel but based on characters created by Dean Koontz] ... (this link will take you to MB's post about the Hallmark version):
Alec Newman Trades Fangs for 'Frankenstein'
... but USA Network's upcoming adaptation of Frankenstein also boasts a DS cast member-- Ivana Milicevic in the role of Victor's wife Erika (Helios, he changed his name from Frankenstein-- the story takes place in the present day and the creator is now the monster).  It premieres Sunday, October 10 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, 8 p.m. CT, and will probably be repeated ad infinitum.

See http://www.usanetwork.com/movies/frankenstein/ for photos, bio and video clip of an interview with Ivana.

Also, her IMDb listing has several photos of her in the role.  Here's a sample:
Ivana Milicevic

This one isn't nearly as well reviewed as Hallmark's.  You've been warned.  ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: This week's other "Frankenstein", with yet another 2004 DS cast member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 07:38:37 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this, Midnite. I've read several things about USA's Frankenstein, but not one of them mentioned that Ivana was in it.

And above and beyond the DS connection, I also have to thank you because part of the code the IMDb uses on their site taught me a trick that I'd never thought of myself. It's very sneaky - so, of course, I love it!  ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 07:44:04 PM »
Quote from: Mysterious Benefactor
I also have to thank you because part of the code the IMDb uses on their site taught me a trick that I'd never thought of myself. It's very sneaky - so, of course, I love it!  ;D

Funny but fascinating.  :D

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
hey midnite wouldn't be funny if your dodgers played my red sox!
frank mccourt is from my hometown(and where i still live)!

jennifer
Let the games begin!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 04:01:07 PM »
I've been checking the boards for reviews from fans who watched the Newman Frankenfurter--thought it aired last week???

Was it so bad we've decided to just forget it ever aired???

G.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:18:58 AM »
I've been checking the boards for reviews from fans who watched the Newman Frankenfurter--thought it aired last week???

I finally finished watching my tape.

For me, what was most impressive was Luke Goss portrayal of the monster.  He even spoke with a slight French accent to my ear, the language the beast acquired from his "benefactors" at the cottage.  They also showed him with intelligence.  He even could read from Milton's "Paradise Lost."  I didn't like that they made him a bit too pretty.  However, it created a sympathetic character which is how I felt Mary Shelley depicted him in the first place.

Victor came off as more impetuous and selfish person which is also how I felt Mary Shelley wrote him.  Alec Newman did a very good job with this.  He shows he can show some deep emotions.  It only proves he would have made a really haunting Barnabas.  Those eyes he has.

Donald Sutherland is still a fox after all these years.  They made his part a bit larger then it was in the book.  I didn't mind too much here.  William Hurt was also good as Professor Waldman.  In many ways, they stole the show even away from Luke Goss.  I felt the Elizabeth was a bit whiny.  I didn't like the actress that played her.  She seemed a bit forced.  The Henry was also good.

I thought this telepic missed the boat on several points.  You did not get that Victor was a spoiled almost only child when he was little since there were no brothers until several years later.  The middle brother was omitted all together.  You got some background regarding Victor's parents and Justine but not much.  They mixed up the family in the cottage to the point where it didn't make much sense.  The monster learns from the cottage family what a loving family should be and then questions his own existence.  He sees that despite their poverty how they comfort one another.

While attempting to be true to the book even quoting it nearly verbatim at times, it fell short of its goal.  I think much of this was time constraints.  The amount of Hallmark Channel commercials were really annoying and they repeated ad nauseam.  It seems amazing to me that you pay for the cable service and then have more commercials then the usual network TV station in prime time.  It was a constant interruption of the story at dramatic points.  Blech.

They told this story in a linear fashion.  Sort of the what I called the dumbed down version lest we get lost.  With the visual aides of film, it really is not that difficult of a story to follow.  I thought it would have been better to hold off on the beast's story until Victor finally figures out the beast killed his brother.  The beast then tells him his story which is relayed to the Captain.  So, the telling of the telling if you will.  It would have created more suspense even if you knew who killed the young boy.

The direction was also really boring.  Much suspense could have been made here with the camera.  If I was watching this story for the first time, I would have known all the surprises.  I personally would have just shown the tail of a cloak or moved the branch a bit.  Turned the camera abruptly. Something to utilize the visual medium.  I also might have used fire (see following), the creation story, or done something to educate my audience on why this book takes the position that fooling around with the God given order of things is a bad thing.

Much of the stories' symbolism was denied.  For example, perhaps they lost the Prometheus references sprinkled throughout the book.  Prometheus was the son of one the Titans.  The myth Mary Shelley would have read has Prometheus creating man from clay.  Prometheus also gives mankind the gift of fire amongst other things to survive and thrive.  Fire both heats and cooks but also destroys.  The monster must harness fire to survive in the outdoors without freezing to death.  He struggled with it in his early existence.  He uses fire in a destructive manner to burn down the cottage where he lived underneath after they rejected him.  Finally, the closing moments of the book are where the monster takes the dead creator and them both.

Ok point being the subtitle of this story is "The Modern Prometheus".  I think the Hallmark production did not add anything new to the Frankenstein genre.  I am now convinced that the only real true way to film this book is to show it over several weeks on PBS on Masterpiece Theatre.

Aren't you glad you asked?  hee hee.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 03:58:46 PM »
Wow, Victoria, that was a fabulous review.  I've never read the novel, so I appreciated your references to that.

Literate storytelling really isn't in vogue, is it?  I have to admit that what you write of the cast makes me salivate.  I just watched the 1965 film, Dr. Terror's House of Horrors--Donald Sutherland was incredibly sharp (and gorgeous to look at) with very limited material in that.

G.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 07:27:54 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Gothick.  Ooo la la what about good old Donald Sutherland in the early 70s movie "Don't Look Now?"  The sex scene with Julie Christie is very famous.