Author Topic: #0121/0122: Robservations 08/14/01: Matthew on the Brink  (Read 1221 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0121/0122: Robservations 08/14/01: Matthew on the Brink
« on: August 13, 2001, 06:52:29 PM »
Episode #121 - There is grave concern at Collinwood, for my whereabouts are still unknown. The searchers move farther and father away from where I'm hidden--but there is one who, unsuspecting, has come very close to finding me.

David stands by the shelf, listening to Vicki call him. Matthew, is that you? calls the boy--who's there, who is it? Matthew comes in and frowns malevolently at the child, whose ear is pressed against the shelf.

What are you doin' near that wall? demands Matthew. I was looking for you, says David, scared. I thought I told you to go, says Matthew. I did, says David. Why did you come back? Matthew asks him. I forgot something, says David. Did you? asks Matthew. Yes, I thought you might want a smoke, says David, handing him the cigarettes. That was very nice of you, Davy, says Matthew, his face softening, but it could have waited until next time, I don't want ya runnin' in and out of here. David hands him the packs and tells him they're Mrs. Johnson's. You didn't smoke a few, didja? asks Matthew. (Ironic, given the confession that Henesy and co-actor, Denise Nickerson, did some secret smoking on the set.) No, says David, smiling, I wouldn't. You can tell me what you were really doin' over near that wall, says Matthew, tucking a cigarette in his mouth. I thought I heard something, says David--I thought it was you--when I came in, I didn't see you and I started to call your name, then I could hear it. Hear what? asks Matthew. The sound, says David--it was like a voice coming from that wall. Come on, Davy! chides Matthew. No, says David, it was like someone was trying to say something, I don't know what. It could have been in your mind, suggests Matthew. No, it was very real, insists David. Matthew drags David over to the shelf. Do you hear it now? he demands. No, I don't hear it now, says David. You see, says Matthew. But I know I heard something, says David. Forget it, Davy, I'm tellin' ya, says Matthew, lighting the cigarette. I can't forget it, David says. I don't like the way you're talkin' says Matthew. Do you have something to do with the secret of this house? You're askin' too many questions, grumbles Matthew, you've been here too long already. It must be that! says David. Go home now, orders Matthew. What is it? asks David. That's enough, says Matthew. That's the secret! proclaims David. Trouble with you is, you don't know when to stop, says Matthew. Please, you don't have to keep the secret from me! says David. I told ya I'd tell ya the secret tomorrow or the next day! says Matthew, growing irritated. Why can't I know now? David asks resentfully. Because I say so! Matthew tells him. Maybe I have an idea of what it is, suggests David. Matthew, standing at the window, looks at him. You do? he asks. I'm figuring it out, says David--will you tell me if I'm right. Depends--what do you think ya heard? asks Matthew. I'm sure it was a human voice, but it didn't sound very human, says David--I mean, I couldn't make out words--but I almost did. Matthew goes to him--you got all your little clues together, what's in your mind? What I heard, says David, was a ghost! Matthew laughs. Davy, he says, sitting down, I'm laughing because you're a lot smarter than I thought you were. You mean I'm right? asks David. Yeah, you're right, sure, sure, says Matthew, cupping his arms, this old house is fulla ghosts, and ghosts to be! Inside the secret room, Vicki hears this and reacts with alarm. (Lucky David said what he did, or Matthew would have killed him and Vicki.)

Sarah brings a silver tray into the drawing room and asks Liz if it's all right if she clears away in here. Go right ahead, says Liz. That telephone's been pretty quiet, says Sarah. I guess there just isn't any news, says Liz, who is sitting on the sofa. Mm, says Sarah, all night long, I could hear them out there, calling her name--Vicki, Vicki--it gave me chills--they'll never find her alive, poor girl, not with that Matthew Morgan around somewhere. Would you feel safer if you lived in town? asks Liz. Who's safe anyway? asks Sarah--one place is as good as another--that Matthew Morgan is a crazy man. In all the years I've known him, he's never caused me trouble, says Liz. (Denial, Liz!) He worked for you, says Sarah, but you didn't really know him as I do--I used to wonder how you kept him on here. Liz stands. I thought I understood him, she says, I still feel sorry for him. Well, says Sarah, taking the loaded tray--he'll get what's due him--I'm just worried how many he'll take along with him. I wish you'd stop this morbid conversation, says Liz.
Sarah apologizes and says she feels death is around somewhere close, and while he's here, he might take more than one. Someone knocks. Sarah answers. It's Patterson, asking for Liz. Sarah invites him in and asks if she's found her yet. I'd like to see Mrs. Stoddard, insists George. You can tell me if you've found her, after all, I know the poor girl...says Sarah. If you don't mind, says Patterson. Oh, I see, you haven't found her, says Sarah--what a police department!--you could have a hundred clues and 50 eye witnesses and you still wouldn't solve the case. (LOL!) Have you finished? He patiently asks her. Oh, a murderer around here someplace, what kind of protection do we get? asks Sarah grumpily. It's Mrs. Stoddard I'd like to see, says Patterson. Liz appears in the drawing room doorway and calls to the sheriff, inviting him inside. They haven't found her yet, as you might expect, says Sarah disapprovingly. Come inside, says Liz, and orders Mts. Johnson to please shut the doors. She does so. I see you know her well enough not to pay any attention to her, says Liz humorously. I ought to deputize her, says Patterson--she gives a pretty mean interrogation. He sits beside Liz on the sofa--unfortunately, he says, she's right--I haven't a clue, not a trace. And Matthew? asks Liz. He could be anywhere or everywhere, says Patterson, I'm pretty sure he's not out of the state, though. I wish he were, says Liz, then I'd know he didn't have Vicki. We've gone over this area very carefully, says Patterson, and I'm convinced he's not around here. But you're not sure? says Liz. I'm reasonably certain, just not positive, says Patterson--I am going to leave my men here to go over places we've already looked. What about Vicki? asks Liz. Not a trace, he says, I've called the Bangor and state police--they're checking into all the hotels, hospitals, taxis, buses, railroad stations, everything--I've even got men back on the beaches and up on the cliffs. Liz rises and asks what the odds are that Matthew has her. I can't give you odds, he says. Then it's possible, she says. It is, he agrees. Do you think he'd harm her? asks Liz. To be realistic about it, says Patterson, yes, he might--but on the other hand, he might not, he's very unpredictable--you know the strain he's been under, and you know what he was like to begin with. I'm to blame if anything's happened to her, laments Liz. You mustn't feel that way, says Patterson, no one could have predicted this. So much has gone on here, says Liz, so much that's wrong--if only I could turn time back and make everything right. I think I know what you mean, he says. You only know part of what I mean, says Liz. (A clue to Vicki's parentage?) Do you have a photographs of Vicki? asks Patterson. Carolyn took some a little while ago, says Liz. I need one to give to the missing person's bureau, says Patterson, I'll return it as soon as I've had a copy made. Liz goes to get it. She turns and tells the sheriff to be brutally frank with her. It's easy to be that way with someone you don't care about, he says doubtfully. Please, she says, do you have much hope for Vicki? No, he admits.
Liz, looking stricken, goes upstairs to get the photo.

David returns home and takes off his coat. Sarah comes to greet him and tells him she's been looking all over for him. He picks up Patterson's hat from the foyer table. I see the sheriff's here, observes David--did he find Vicki? No, he did not, says Sarah. Does he have any clues? asks the boy. When the cannery whistle blows at noon, he knows it's lunch--that to him is a clue, says Sarah sourly--and accounts for the size of him. (LOL!) And he doesn't know anything about Matthew, either, says David. Well-said, Davy, she tells him. I'm sorry to hear that, he says. I want to ask you something, she says. But I've got to go, he protests. She takes his hand, detaining him. Can't it wait? he asks. No, it cannot, she says. What is it? he asks, resigned. This morning, she says, I remember lighting a cigarette when I was talking to you, and I put the pack on the table. Are you supposed to smoke while you're working? he asks. (LOL, smart-ass kid!) Don't talk to me like that, she says, I'm telling you I put a pack of cigarettes on the table in front of you while I was talking to you, and I haven't seen them since. What do you want with me? he asks. Do you know where they are? she asks. How would I know? he asks. I think you do, she says. I don't know where they are, he says, maybe you should look harder. I've looked very hard, she says, and it looks very suspicious to me. Maybe they walked off by themselves, he suggests. She takes his hand and checks his fingers. He's upset, asking her to let go of his hand. I guess not, she says. What did you do that for? he asks. I was looking to see if you have yellow fingers, if you've started smoking, she says. You thought I took your cigarettes to smoke? he asks. That's the idea, she says, you're the only one around here who would. Mrs. Johnson, says David, if I wanted cigarettes, I wouldn't steal them--I'd buy them--and he goes into the drawing room, where the sheriff is finishing up on the phone. They greet each other, and Patterson asks him if he's been breaking any laws lately. Like what? asks David. (Does harboring a fugitive count?) Oh, speeding on your bicycle, says Patterson. What does it mean when the cannery whistle blows? asks David. (There is a lot of wry humor in this ep!) Lunch? asks the sheriff. That's right, says David. Why did you ask? Patterson queries. Oh, no reason, says David, I was just wondering--have you found any clues about Matthew, or Vicki? Some, says Patterson, we have some footprints of Miss Winters and some of Morgan, some tire tracks, some old and some new, but unfortunately, nothing that leads us anyplace. He writes in his notebook. Where are you looking? asks David. All over, says Patterson, we've covered this area, now we're going to a new section--we're gonna leave some men behind, in case Matthew comes back. Where do you think he's hiding? asks David. I've tried all the places I can think of, says Patterson, there is one other possibility, though. What's that? asks David. Matthew isn't the kind of man many people would like, says Patterson. I like him! says David, then hastily adds, I DID like him. What I mean to say is, it's possible someone is hiding him, says Patterson. Oh, you think so? asks David. Anything is possible in a case like this, says Patterson. Who do you think would hide him? asks David. Whoever he is, I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes, says Patterson. David wanders behind the sofa. Why? he asks. He's a very dangerous, desperate man, isn't that reason enough? asks the sheriff. Do you think that Matthew would hurt anyone who tried to help him? asks David. You can't be sure, says Patterson, he's very unpredictable. I don't think he would, says David. At any rate, says Patterson, if the person who's hiding Matthew is lucky to come out of this with his skin, he'll have to face me. Why you? asks David. It's against the law to harbor a known criminal, says Patterson, he'd be an accessory after the fact. What if the man didn't know Matthew was wrong? asks David. He'd have to know that, says Patterson, it's been on the TV and in the newspapers. I see, says David, thinking hard. So, he'd be guilty, says Patterson. What would happen to him? asks David.
He'd have to go to jail, says Patterson. David gulps. (Don't all these questions make the sheriff suspicious?)

You mean the person who helps Matthew would go to jail? asks David. Absolutely, says Patterson. But even if he thought he was right? asks David. There's a difference between thinking you're right and being right, points out the sheriff. Liz returns with the snapshot of Vicki--she hands it to him and he thanks her--David, where have you been? she asks her nephew. Around, he says. Is there anything else I could do for you? asks Liz. No, he says, I just wish there was something more I could do for you. You're doing your best, she assures him. I'll return this as soon as I get a copy made, he says--don't bother to see me out--oh, I see Mrs. Johnson is waiting for that pleasure--goodbye, David! Bye, says David, and George leaves. Liz sits at the desk. David tells her that the sheriff told him that anyone who helps Matthew could end up in trouble, and go to jail. That's right, says Liz. But I thought it was good to help somebody, says David. Not if that person's done something wrong, says Liz, and Matthew has done something terribly wrong. Do you think Matthew has Vicki? he asks. I don't know, she says. Would be hurt her? asks David. Possibly, says Liz. Would he kill her? asks David. I'd rather not talk about it, she answers. Do you know all the secrets about the Old House? he asks--are there any secrets? Everybody knows the old ghost stories, she says. No, he says, I mean something more secret than that--is there a secret about the walls? Not that I know if, she says, why do you ask? No reason, he says hastily, I just wanted to know--I like the Old House, and I was just wondering. I wish that someday, you'd ask an important question, she sighs. Like about schoolwork? he asks. That would help, she agrees. Not me! he says, and skips to the door. Now where are you going? she asks. Out, around, all over, he replies. I want you back here before dark, she says. (He goes out to play in that crested suit?) Out in the foyer, David puts on his coat and Mrs. Johnson demands, "Where are they?" What? he asks. My cigarettes! she says. Quit bugging me! he insists, and runs out the door.
I think you know where they are! she calls out to him--I think you're up to something! He's gone, walking through the woods to the Old House.

David runs toward the Old House. Matthew exits the secret room, leaving the door open. He looks out the window, spies David and quickly closes the shelf, then opens the front door to let David in. You're back too soon, he says, I thought I told ya to stop coming here so much? I have to tell you something, says David--I was talking to the sheriff. Matthew, frightened, grabs him. What about? he asks. I didn't say anything, David assures him. You sure? roars Matthew. I wouldn't come back here after I'd said something, or told on you, would I? asks David. I know, says Matthew, what did the sheriff say to you? He said he's going to move and search another place, says David, and he's only going to leave a few men around here. Good, says Matthew, it will be easier for me to get away. But you said you were going to stay! protests David. I can't stay here, says Matthew, it's not safe--sooner or later, they'll have to come back here. They're not going to find you, says David, you promised you'd stay! Sure, Davy, I'm stayin', says Matthew, placating him. Anyway, they won't find you because you have a good hiding place, says David--where do you hide? None of your business, replies Matthew. I was just asking, says David. You do too much askin', says Matthew. But it is good? asks David. You bet, says Matthew. Did you smoke the cigarettes I brought you? asks David. I smoked some, says Matthew. Mrs. Johnson's mad, she thinks I took them, says David. He again grabs David's arms and warns him not to steal anything like that again--you hear me--don't take chances, just cut it out! I'm sorry, says David. If you want to help me, says Matthew more gently, you must never do anything that might hurt me, understand? The sheriff said something, says David--he said if somebody helped a wanted criminal, he might go to jail--is that true? No, Matthew assures him. Then why did he tell me? asks David. To scare ya, says Matthew. The sheriff said something else, says David--accessory after the fact--what does that mean? Lawyer talk! says Matthew, who ya gonna believe--him or me?
I've been believing you, says David. You're gonna go on believin' me, says Matthew, patting his shoulder, ain't ya? Sure I am, David assures him--if they ever catch up to you, you wouldn't tell on me, would you? No I wouldn't, Matthew assures him, what you askin' for? Because I don't want to go to jail, cries David, crouching on the floor.

NOTES: Poor David, he's so confused now, but he must know what he's doing is wrong. This script was written by Malcolm Marmorstein, and I so enjoyed it. Lots of wonderful comic touches. Sarah's sour reaction to the sheriff was hilarious, and when David asked him what the cannery whistle blowing means and he answered lunch, I nearly fell from my chair. I can't believe Matthew just let David go, but once he thought the boy figured ghosts made those sounds, he assumed he was safe--but was he? Does David know the truth, deep down? He assured Matthew he'd stay silent, as long as Matthew doesn't rat him out if caught.

I believe that if Matthew had truly wanted to kill Vicki, he'd have done so by now. He's a complicated guy.

David now knows there could be repercussions from hiding Matthew, but the old man still works on him and assures him he's doing the right thing. I got chills when Matthew mentioned "ghosts to be." Vicki and David are probably the soon to be ghosts he has in mind. Cold!

Mrs. Johnson sure is negative. She upset Liz by implying that Vicki might be dead, but then the sheriff corroborated his own feelings about that. Poor Liz. If Vicki is her daughter, how must she feel now?

Episode #122 - The sun is shining on Collinwood. It also shines on the Old House in which I'm a helpless prisoner. There are nothing but shadows in the secret room, behind a row of bookshelves which is my prison--and only one person guesses where I may be--it is an unpredictable, small boy, who might or might not tell what he knows.

You've got nothin' to worry about, Davy, says Matthew, not a thing. But jail is something to worry about, says David. You won't go to jail, Matthew assures him--the sheriff's filling your head with foolish notions. But what if they capture you--you won't tell them I helped you, would you? I told you I wouldn't, says Matthew, ya trust me, don't ya? Yes, says David. Get on home, says Matthew, they might start lookin' for ya. OK, agrees David, gazing backward at the bookshelf. What are you lookin' at? asks Matthew. Nothing, says David. Nothin' there, says Matthew, just some empty bookshelves and ghosts that make funny noises. I thought you didn't believe in ghosts, says David. I'm beginnin' to--there's no other explanation, so those noises must be made by ghosts--right? I guess there is no other explanation, says David after a long pause. Matthew smiles, pleased he convinced him. Vicki sits in the secret room, bound, gagged, helpless.

Go along, says Matthew, we don't want anyone to guess our secret, would we? If they did, it wouldn't be a secret anymore, says David seriously. That's right, says Matthew, don't come here unless you have to, it's too dangerous. I'm sorry I made you mad before, says David. I'm not mad, says Matthew, friends don't get mad at friends--you've been real good to an old man, I'll never forget ya as long as I live. Do you think you'll be leaving by tonight? asks David. I might, if the sheriff's men are gone by then, says Matthew. I'll let you know when they leave, says David, and I'll try to sneak you some more food, so you won't have to stop on the road. You're a fine lad, praises Matthew, the finest I've ever met--and I've met plenty. See you later then? asks David. That's right--see ya later, says Matthew, ushering him to the door. David leaves, bidding him "bye." Matthew waits a few moments, checks out the window to watch David retreat, then goes into the secret bookcase, punching one hand into another. He takes off Vicki's gag, accusing her of trying to attract the boy's attention. He wraps the scarf instead around her throat. I ought to break your neck! he threatens. Please, she begs. I warned you about that before, he says, told you not to try it again!--he removes the scarf and makes a fist, waving it close to her face--I'm warnin' ya here and now, he says, don't push me too far! He doesn't know I'm in here, she says, he thought he heard a ghost. Only because I made him swallow that story, he says--lucky for me he likes to believe them things--you still tried to get his attention! I didn't know that it was David out there, she babbles--I heard some strange noises and they frightened me, so I tried to scream, and that's what he heard. You didn't do it deliberate, so he'd know you were in here? demands Matthew. No, she says. I don't believe ya, he says, I don't trust you for a minute! Can you trust David? she asks him. What do you talkin' about? he asks. What if he suspects I'm in here? she asks, what if he tells somebody? He doesn't suspect, and even if he did, he wouldn't tell on me, insists Matthew. How can you be sure? she asks. I trust that boy more'n I trust anybody else, says Matthew, he's had lots of opportunities to tell on me, but he hasn't. You heard him just now, she says, he's frightened, afraid he's going to get into trouble--if you were smart, you'd clear out and just leave me here before he has an opportunity to tell what he knows. We can't clear out, says Matthew, you heard what the boy said, the sheriff's men are all over the grounds! Only a few of them, says Vicki. One is enough to put a bullet in my back, says Matthew, pacing--if I clear out, I'll have to do it after dark--I'll get away better in darkness. Is that what you're planning to do? asks Vicki. I don't know what I'm plannin' to do yet, I haven't made up my mind, he says. You haven't got much time, she warns him, you know David as well as I do, you know how unpredictable he can be.
After tonight, says Matthew, I don't have to trust him--till then, I haven't got much of a choice.

Collinwood - Carolyn stands before the fireplace, wearing a dark double-breasted suit with large buttons. She calls Burke at the Inn. Yes! he answers the phone brusquely. He's unshaven. That was certainly abrupt, she says. Carolyn? he asks. Am I calling at a bad time? she asks. Not if you have news about Vicki, he says. She makes a face and says they don't know anymore than they did--the sheriff was up there a little while ago. What did he say? asks Burke. He's convinced she's no where on the grounds, she says--he took most of his men and left. They're giving up? asks Burke. What else could they do? asks Carolyn--they made a thorough search and couldn't find Vicki. I have a feeling they're giving up too easily, he says, she could still be someplace on the property or nearby. They looked everyplace there is to look, she says--anyway, Burke, I didn't call you to talk about Vicki, I wanted to tell you what's going on up here--that is, if you have the time to listen. What's going on? he asks. I had the most terrific battle with Roger and Mother this afternoon, she explains--they keep saying the same thing over and over again--I can't see you again--I can't stand much more of it. I don't mean to sound abrupt, he says, but can we talk about this another time? If it isn't convenient for you to talk about it now, she says, not happy. I'm expecting another call, frankly, he says, and I'm beat--I haven't slept since the night before last. Yes, I know, she says, I'm sorry I bothered you. It's OK, he says, I'll talk to you later. Right, Burke, she says, and hangs up. Her face is angry. David comes into the drawing room, asking for Aunt Liz. She's upstairs resting, says Carolyn--and don't you bother her--she didn't get very much sleep last night. Where's my father? asks David. He's resting, too, says Carolyn--everyone around this house is exhausted, including me. She plops herself down on the sofa. David sits next to her. Do you think Matthew would hurt Vicki? he asks her plaintively. Let's not talk about it, she says. But I want to, he says, I'm worried about her, too--would he or could he hurt Miss Winters or anyone else. I don't know, says Carolyn, I never used to think so--he was always sort of gruff, but I never thought he could hurt a fly. What made you change your mind? he asks. Bill Malloy's death for one thing, says Carolyn, accident or no accident, Matthew was responsible. What if he wasn't, what if somebody else was? asks David. And somebody else tried to kill Vicki on at least three occasions, too, scoffs Carolyn, like the time the car tried to run her down. Well, my father was out in his car that night, wasn't he? asks David. Carolyn thinks about it. What are you getting at, she asks--if you still think Uncle Roger tried to kill Vicki, you must be out of your mind. Maybe, maybe not, he says. You really are a little monster, to think a thing like that about your own father! she says. Maybe I'm just smarter than everyone else, he suggests. If you're so smart, she says, suppose you explain to me how Uncle Roger managed to push that stone urn off the roof of the Old House--he was being held by the sheriff at the time? It could have been an accident, says David, Matthew wouldn't have pushed that thing off the roof--I know he wouldn't try to kill Miss Winters--I know he wouldn't--you only believe what you WANT to believe--you don't know anything. All right, says Carolyn, standing, have it your own way, Matthew is a saint, and Vicki hasn't disappeared--I wish you were right, I don't like to think of her lying dead in a ditch somewhere. David leaps at his cousin and orders her to stop talking like that. She takes hold of his arms and tells him he might as well face it
--if Matthew has gotten hold of Vicki, we're never going to see her again!--at least not alive. David stands there, upset, and Carolyn leaves the room.

Burke, wearing a robe, is on the phone in his hotel room, telling someone he's got to contact Blair--it's urgent. . .what do you mean, you don't know where he is--you work for him, don't you?--don't give me excuses!--find him and tell him to contact Burke Devlin and don't waste any time about it. He hangs up, pissed off, then goes to sit on the sofa with a grunt. He puts his feet on the coffee table and is annoyed when there's a knock at the door. It's David, and he makes a face before opening the door. This is a surprise, says Burke, what are you doing in town? I have to talk to you, says David. Couldn't it wait? Asks Burke, stopping him from coming in, I was just about to take a nap, while I was waiting for a phone call. It's very important, says David. Burke ruffles his hair and tells him to come in and have a seat. Thanks, says David, sitting on the sofa. Burke joins him and asks what's all this about? I'm all mixed up, says David, I have to get things straight in my mind. What about? asks Burke. My father, says David--you still think he killed that man, don't you? What? asks Burke. The accident 10 years ago, says David, you still think my father was responsible, don't you? What about it? asks Burke. If he killed once, he can kill again, points out David, and maybe he killed Mr. Malloy, no matter what anybody says, and maybe he tried to kill Miss Winters. I think you just should try to forget about death and Bill Malloy, advises Burke--right now we have other things that concern us. But I'm talking about right now, insists David, what if my father's guilty--what if Matthew is innocent? Big ifs, says Burke. You don't think it's possible? asks David. Sure, anything's possible, says Burke, what do you want me to say? I want you to tell me that Matthew's innocent, says David, I want you to tell me my father killed Mr. Malloy--I want you to tell me my father's responsible for everything that's happened. Burke wipes his face and says this isn't the time or place to go into ancient history--I've got other things on my mind. You won't listen, says David, I thought you were different--I thought I could tell you. Tell me what? asks Burke. Never mind, says David, it isn't important. Listen, says Burke, I don't mean to sound abrupt, but... The phone rings. Wait a minute, says Burke, and answers the phone--it's about time, Blair, where have you been?--all right, never mind about that?--have you heard the news about Vicki Winters?--I'm not satisfied by the way the local police are handling things up here--I want to hire private police, special detectives, anybody that might be able to find her--forget the expense, the sky's the limit--anybody who might be able to come up with something--get on it right away
--and keep in constant touch with me, you understand?--good, OK. He turns back to David, but the child has left, and the door is open. Burke calls into the hall for David, but receives no response. He sighs and closes the door, then sits down on the sofa, puts up his feet, and wipes his face with both hands.

Secret room - We see what appears to be a distorted version of Matthew's face. He's exhausted. I'm tired, he says, I've got to sleep--the minute I do, you'll try to get away. Vicki is still in the chair, bound but not gagged, and she looks as exhausted as he does. How can I? asks Vicki weakly, sounding as if she's got a cold. Someone might come in here, ya might try to attract attention like you did before. I'm too tired to try anything, she says. I've only got your word for that, says Matthew--go on, go to sleep--only I gotta put this gag over your mouth--you know what will happen to ya if ya make a sound--you know what I'll do to ya. She nods, barely able to keep her head upright. Remember it, he says, lying down on the mattress on the floor. He closes his eyes, grimacing. He hears a woman's voice calling his name: "Matthew! Matthew! Matthew!" Who's that? he asks the air--who's there? The female voice continues to call to him, over and over, echoing, and he screams out, "Who's there?" He stands, goes to Vicki, takes off her gag and demands to know where those voices are coming from. What voices? she asks, I didn't hear anything. Voices calling to me! cries Matthew--you heard 'em, you must have! I didn't hear a thing, she assures him. You're lyin' to me! he accuses, but she tells him she really didn't hear anything. T'wasn't just my imagination, he says, someone's out there, callin' to me!--you make a sound, I'll kill ya, ya understand? And he takes her throat in his huge hands to tell her he means business, scaring her. Matthew listens at the door. Out in the drawing room, the portrait of Josette begins to glow.

There's nobody out there, Vicki tells Matthew, it was just a bad dream. Maybe, he says--I've gotta take a look around. He exits the secret room and walks around the room. Matthew! calls the same woman's voice. Matthew! Matthew! Matthew! The voices seem to come at him from all corners of the room, and he dashes around like a pinball, demanding to know who's there. WHO'S THERE!--WHO'S CALLIN' MY NAME? he shouts. I'm calling you, Matthew, says one musical woman's voice, teasing him. Who are you? he asks. Josette, she replies, the portrait glowing behind him
--Josette Collins! No, he says, running toward the portrait--no!--no! He returns to Vicki, who anxiously asks him what's going on. Ya must have heard them this time! he insists, didn't ya?--didn't ya? All I heard was you shouting, she says. Voices and those lights comin' off the painting! he rants--the paintin' of Josette Collins. You're tired--you don't know what you're saying, Vicki tells him. I'll show you when I know what I'm saying, he warns, taking a knife from his pocket. No, she whimpers. He unties her bonds. Come on, he orders, come with me. He drags her out into the drawing room and points to the portrait--there was a light, he says, comin' out of that picture. There's no light there now, says Vicki. I didn't just imagine it, says Matthew, it was real, and so were the voices--you heard them? he asks her, shaking her, didn't ya? Yes, she says, I heard them. No, he says, you didn't, you think I imagined it all--you think I'm...goin' crazy.
No, says Vicki quickly, I don't think anything. I didn't imagine it! he wails, but when I saw and heard doesn't exist, I know that. He makes a helpless gesture with his hands. I tell you there is a very simple explanation, she says, you were half asleep while you were walking around and you dreamt it all. That's it, agrees Matthew, that's right--it was a dream, must have been--no man ever saw or heard such things!--no man in his right mind. They both look up at Josette's portrait.

NOTES: David tried to talk to his cousin and Burke about what's been going on in his life, but neither had the time for him. If they had listened, really listened, they might have learned that David heard what very well might have been Vicki at the Old House, being held prisoner by Matthew. The trouble is, David still despises his father so much, he'd rather think Matthew is his friend, and innocent of all wrongdoing. It's a sad situation, and here Burke is all set to spend mucho bucks on private detectives when, if he'd only given David a bit of compassion and time, he might have learned all about Vicki's plight.

Josette is definitely on Vicki's side! This is good news, and she might be Vicki's only salvation. I can't blame Vicki for first pretending to have heard the voices, then reassuring Matthew that he was only dreaming. She needs to keep her wits about her if she's to survive, and Matthew is very unpredictable in his moods. The man is at the end of his tether--he needs Prozac!

Carolyn must realize by now how unimportant she is to Burke. Vicki is a far more urgent matter to him. Carolyn is being a fool, as her mother and uncle say, and she's going to end up hurt.

This was an excellent episode, not as humorous as the previous one, but very well-written and engrossing. I remember wanting desperately for school to be over so I could come home and watch these shows. Matthew was scary, sympathetic and so multi-layered, thanks to Thayer David's wonderful performance.

Love, Robin