Author Topic: A darker designer makeover of Greystone  (Read 585 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A darker designer makeover of Greystone
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:26:12 AM »
Today's LA Times writeup with slideshow of 40 photos:

Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills gets a makeover that pays homage to its murderous history

Some beautiful pieces and a few bizarre ones.  I absolutely love the blue walls behind the living room arches (minus the art installations on each side).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A darker designer makeover of Greystone
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
First off, thanks so much for posting the link, Midnite!!  [easter_smiley]

And secondly, it's always great to see how different designers approach decorating Greystone, and it's especially fun whenever we get to see rooms that are barely if ever used for location shooting (like the solarium and the second floor kitchen).

But thirdly, I really dislike so much of what the designers have done this time around. And design is certainly a subjective thing, so my disliking what they've done doesn't mean much because I'm sure there are plenty of other people who love it. Some of it is just not my taste. But please! Sheep on wheels in the middle of a room?! That ceiling in the reception hall?! And even as a fan of wallpaper, I can't justify that hideous wallpaper in the second floor lounge, even if it coordinates with the sofa upholstery!! And in a totally different vein, what's up with an apparent beyond castrated eunuch on a wall? If you're going to go with a frontal male nude, it's a complete cop-out not to go full frontal and to pretend men don't have genitalia!!

Though lastly, I wouldn't have wanted to miss seeing what was done this year so, again, thanks for sharing the link, Midnite...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: A darker designer makeover of Greystone
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
in New York the top interior decorators take over a vacant townhouse every year, each room a different design firm, and do it up to showcase their design sensibilities. it's open to the public and admission goes to charity.

this seem like the same thing. it's essentially "striking a set". it's temporary. like filming a movie (or a television show). when it's over they clear it all out.  but it's fun to see.

some of this is rather odd. but it'll be over and out before you know it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.