Author Topic: OT: Jessica Chastain  (Read 511 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Jessica Chastain
« on: November 12, 2015, 02:38:08 AM »
Fans, this afternoon (because our office is closed for Veteran's Day), I was finally able to attend a screening in Boston of the new Gullermo del Toro film CRIMSON PEAK.

I think fans of DEPP SHADOWS should definitely check this out.  It avoids the kind of humor that ruined the Burton film IMO but with an equally loving (and at times, frankly insane) attention to Gothic detail and Gothic texture that are very appealing to fans of DS.

Jessica Chastain really steals the film, and her performance here would be so very worthy of an update of DS.  I think in part the performance and the character were intended as an homage to Barbara Steele's 1960s Italian horror roles, so there's another DS echo there.

Another thing is that the costumes in the movie are simply stunning, for those who enjoy Victorian fashion.  The movie seems to be set around 1905 or so although some details are inconsistent.  hmmm, that's not something we're used to seeing much is it?  Inconsistency in costuming and design? LOL.

G.