Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1007  (Read 875 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1007
« on: November 06, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
Robservations #1007

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1007

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »
Grayson VO; welcome back (again) Hoffman.  Nice Q-ECS scene.  I didn't follow this from Q: "Edward(s) would still be dead."  PT/RT Room... Why didn't the Julias Hoffman see each other?

Bigger letters in closing credits.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
Great scene with Horace and Cyrus! Cyrus tries to bluff his way out of the fix he’s in. But Horace says, I know that the compound can be used to perfect a restructuring of the chromosomes. That’s not its main use, Cyrus protests, but Horace insists: That is what you are using it for. To give you a chance to be something that you are not. To be filled with a lust for life, to finally discover pleasures that you won't encounter in this laboratory: excitement, love, adventure! I’ve found all these things right here in my laboratory, Cyrus insists. Where is John Yaeger tonight? Horace asks. I don’t have the faintest idea, Cyrus answers. You know very well, Horace says relentlessly, and I have proof. Pulling out a small notebook, he reads off his jottings: The day after I first delivered the compound, you called me about eliminating the amnesia. The night before, John Yaeger had appeared in Collinsport for the first time. The following Tuesday, you left on a mysterious trip, and John Yaeger miraculously appeared. I confirmed the dates with Miss Stuart, Horace says, leaving Cyrus shocked and angry. Horace goes on: The night after the disturbance at the Eagle, Yaeger appeared with a check signed by Cyrus. At last Horace plays his ace: the landscape painting in Buffie's room. So you have been to see her too? Cyrus asks. You’ve trapped yourself now, Horace chortles. Why would Dr. Longworth care whether I saw Buffie or not? Yaeger won’t like your interfering, Cyrus warns. I’ve written everything down, Horace replies. Yaeger hasn’t done anything wrong, Cyrus insists (unless you count several incidents of assault and battery and perhaps one rape). Who would be upset if they knew you could turn yourself into someone else? Horace wonders. Sabrina, Miss Harrington, Quentin Collins, your friends at Collinwood. Seething with repressed anger, Cyrus walks away from him, and we can see that the animal cages are now empty. You don’t have to admit anything if you don’t want to, Horace says. I will be happy to go along. You want something, Cyrus says flatly. Almost weary and even a little troubled by the hard part that’s coming, Horace says, You can't imagine the difficulty I have with your compound. I am woefully underpaid, and it takes up more and more of my time. For instance, the delivery tonight--that compound isn't nearly ready yet. Now if you want another, I will try to-- How much do you want? Cyrus shouts, cutting to the chase. Ten thousand dollars! Horace shouts back. You’re mad! Cyrus shouts in astonishment. Why should I pay that? Horace replies, It’s a small price to pay for the existence of John Yaeger--and that is what you are paying for. Without the compound, John Yaeger will never walk the streets again. Horace adds, You don’t have to make up your mind right away--Friday will be soon enough. But if you don’t pay, someone near and dear to you will find out all about your double life. This isn’t your first attempt at blackmail, is it? Cyrus comments bitterly as Horace prepares to leave. Why do you think my number was in Angelique Collins’s phone book? Horace answers smoothly. She has led many lives--and each person only gets one. Good night.

So the Master of Collinwood didn't know about the secret alcove--? "Alexis" is still harping on who murdered Angelique.

Welcome back, GH and JB! Elizabeth is miffed that Quentin didn't have someone waiting for her at the train station. Elizabeth says, If I had Quentin’s money, I’d close the house and move to the city. I find the house depressing. Hoffman is displeased at any implied slight to her idol’s taste in decor, but has to swallow it when Elizabeth asks her to fix a brandy.

Angelique tells her aunt that Quentin fell for their deceit, hook, line, and sinker. Hoffman stares at her but the truth hasn't yet dawned on her.

Elizabeth tries to get Quentin to ask Maggie to return. Maggie assumes Alexis is still here, Elizabeth tells him. She knows how stubborn you are. (Meanwhile, Angelique is listening, delighted, at the door.) That has nothing to do with it, Quentin says stubbornly. It’s making you both unhappy, Elizabeth insists. I don’t need you to decide my state of happiness, Quentin says. I don’t expect you to understand about Maggie. Because you don’t understand her yourself! Elizabeth retorts. I understand one thing, Quentin says. I don't want a child for a wife. Only a child runs away and sulks. If you are in touch with her you tell her that. He stomps out of the room to run away and sulk, not noticing Angelique smiling on the landing.

Once again Quentin asks his dear friend Cyrus to help him dispose of a body. When he sees Damian's skeleton, Cyrus hypothesizes, Damian didn't die instantly of the bullet lodged between his ribs--he bled to death. (How Cyrus decides this from purely skeletal evidence remains unexplained. And the bullet would have fallen to the floor by now anyway.) Quentin decides not to have Bruno arrested because he doesn't want to relive the past and doesn't want Daniel too either.

Later, in Angelique's room later, we hear the Ode to Angelique in spooky mode as Hoffman tells the oversize portrait, I was so sure you would be here when I returned to Collinwood. Not knowing that Angelique has come into the room behind her, Hoffman continues, Perhaps I’ve come back to make things ready for you, as I always did when you were away. That is what I must believe. Hoffman turns around with sudden surprise on seeing "Alexis." Angelique has heard enough to assure herself of Hoffman's loyalty, so she says, I want your help in finding Angelique's murderer. "Alexis" tells her about the séance where Angelique died--I supposed Hoffman wasn't invited, being merely the housekeeper.

Cyrus and Quentin return from burying the skeleton. (And very fastidious gravediggers they are, too, with not a hair out of place or a smudge on their clothes.) Quentin comments, Another thing to feel guilty about--first Maggie, then Sabrina at the séance saying that Angelique was murdered, and now Alexis accusing me of indifference. He confides, I feel overwhelmed by all I’ve been through recently. He asks Cyrus, Have you ever heard of Barnabas Collins? Somehow Cyrus already knows about Will’s new book. But now Quentin tells him about how Amy went into a trance at the sight of Barnabas’s portrait. He even tells Cyrus about seeing the empty room in place of Angelique's, and seeing a different “Daniel” and Amy, in different clothes, talking about Barnabas Collins. You should leave Collinwood, at least for a while, Cyrus advises. You believe in all of this. He reminds Quentin that everyone has returned. Quentin is reluctant but then realizes, With everyone else back in the house, I can afford to go away. Cyrus urges him to talk to everyone tonight.

Quentin goes upstairs to speak to "Alexis," but when he opens the door, he sees our Julia Hoffman (in a lovely dark blue raw-silk dress) showing the room to our Elizabeth. I didn’t believe Roger when he tried to explain, Elizabeth confesses. I don’t even like being in the room. Considering how Barnabas disappeared, I think the room should be closed off. Quentin calls to Elizabeth, but the two women continue their conversation. Julia says, This room is Barnabas’s only way of coming back. Elizabeth tries to get her to leave, but Julia says, I feel closer to Barnabas here. Quentin tries to find a way through the invisible but impenetrable barrier. Julia declares, I would stay there forever if I thought I could join him. Eventually Elizabeth leaves (through parallel Angelique’s bedroom alcove). Hopelessly Julia calls to Barnabas. Is he in that other time watching me? she wonders. Or has his terrible curse been discovered? Quentin repeatedly calls to "Hoffman," finally shouting her name. Our Julia neither sees nor hears him, but Hoffman startles him by speaking from behind him....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:20:03 AM »
I think I see Gladstone as an amalgamation of his evil half that dominates, with the good buried inside, where his real desires come from.  The blackmail demand seems to blow my theory about HG being the result of a Cyrus-y chemist fooling with his "evil" chemicals, but maybe not.  I'd thought HG was hanging around for information to use to undo the damage he did to himself long ago.  If he's just a blackmailing sleaze, then it's not true.  He'd have wanted the chemical secret, not money.

We may have been seeing HG switching back and forth between his evil and less evil parts.  He may have meant it, when he said he was underpaid and working very hard, and in need of more money to get by.  His sudden, violent shift in demeanor, when he yelled his demand for $10K, may have been the evil side seizing control, and suddenly shifting the honest need for extra funds to a greedy demand for all Cyrus has got, for greed's sake.

He seemed fairly "mousy" at Buffie's apartment.  We may be seeing a struggle between HG's two parts... not halves, not equal parts, but a very dominant evil side, smothering a small better part.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »
That is really cool, MT. I honestly never thought of that. But even after HG gave up his experiments, some of the separation lingered on. Maybe part of him was hoping that Cyrus would find a cure, but then his blackmailing half took over.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:13:07 AM »
Thanks, DL.  Gladstone is the one element in PT that makes me think more in depth about what might be going on, behind what we see.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Indeed, Horace and the law firm of Collins and Chase.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »
Cyrus and Quentin are getting quite adept at disposing of dead bodies. At least they didn't have to burn this one.

Horace Gladstone has managed to put two and two together very quickly. Since he's not played by a core actor, that information is probably going to get him into major trouble. I wonder why his name was in Angelique's phone book. I don't think that we ever do find out.

Hoffman and Elizabeth have returned. Elizabeth tries to get Quentin to reach out to his estranged wife but Quentin isn't having any of it. Hoffman has a premonition about Angelique's presence but does not yet realize how close Angelique really is.

Quentin gets another glimpse of the RT Collinwood as Elizabeth tries to talk sense to Julia. Good luck with that! Their conversation revolves around the missing Barnabas, which gets Quentin's attention. Julia thoughtfully waits for Elizabeth to leave the room before droning on about Barnabas and his curse. Just one more thing to freak out Quentin.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:27:07 AM »
Pt Elizabeth hates Collinwood and likes to travel. Nice reversal.  Is Carolyn her daughter in PT? 
Wow 10,000 to keep Yaeger alive. Even today that's a chunk. Cyrus has been letting Yaeger spend money like crazy so he must be quite wealthy.  Yet Sabrina gets a cheap ring.
Q has another double sighting of Hoffman's.  Rt Hoffman has Pt's hair.  Fast growth. I've noticed certain PT elements have been reused in Night of Dark Shadows.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:54:43 AM »
Nice contrast in the two Elizabeths indeed--good call! And yes, Carolyn is her daughter as in our time.

Some NoDS elements will appear in future PT episodes too.