Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1000  (Read 1172 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1000
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
Robservations #1000

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1000

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:41 AM »
The contents of the coffin is a perfectly preserved Angeligue.  Q wants to burn her, but Alexis says no and then later returns and needs. Another look before she decides to destroy her twin. She touches the corpse,and then,  as she babbles on Angelique begins to breathe and opens her eyes saying you will be destroyed. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Lacey VO.  Silly Alexis attitude-- Ang will never rest in peace if anyone looks at her remains, even for a few seconds?  Well, I guess it was true...  I now know that human remains always deteriorate in the coffin, and that preservation only lasts for as long as the funeral.  I only learned that recently. 

[candle_in_skull_2]

A sane person, seeing Ang totally intact after six months, would conclude that in some strange way, Ang must still be alive, and call for help.  Q and Cy say, this weirds us out, and leaves matters up in the air, so let's settle things by making SURE she's dead, by burning her.  Are they more afraid of her than they let on? 

[skull_winks]

Welcome, PT Angelique!  She reveals herself to Alexis, end.  This must be the big ep #1000 event.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:16 PM »
You must be right, MT. This ep. certainly ended with bang--presumably on a Friday too.

Angelique is wearing the same blue Grecian-style gown and long white gloves as in her portrait. Quentin apologizes humbly (for him) for doubting Alexis.

Trask tries to strong-arm Amy into telling him what she knows about Damian. Quentin arrives and rescues her, then gives his butler a dressing-down right in front of Alexis and Cyrus. Trask says that Amy came to Collinwood on her own. Alexis and Cyrus tell Trask about seeing Angelique in her coffin.

Cyrus tells Alexis that her sister had great knowledge of the supernatural--which as a scientist, he did not. He agrees with Quentin that the body must be destroyed.

Interesting little reminder that Barnabas is still in his coffin: Amy gives Quentin several reasons why she doesn't want to go back to Loomis House:

1. It's not that I’m alone a lot and don't have anyone to play with--I’m used to that. (Perhaps their lonely childhoods are what make the Collinses such a hard-drinking clan.)

2. The house feels "spooky," as if something is happening here. I feel more frightened than I’ve ever been, but I can’t explain it, and (in answer to Quentin’s question) I feel that way all the time.

3. Also, Carolyn is hardly ever home, and Will is always in his study. He says he’s writing a new book. I stood in the doorway once and watched him, but he didn’t even know I was there.

This last piece of news makes Quentin sit up, since it is a truth, universally acknowledged, that Will Loomis hasn't written a book in five years or so. Amy says she went into Will's room when he wasn't there and found some papers in the trash, which she hands over to Quentin. To his amazement, they are a draft of an introduction to a new book about Barnabas Collins:

In October 1965 [FIFTY YEARS AGO!!!] I wrote what I considered to be the definitive biography of Barnabas Collins. But certain facts of history have recently been brought to my attention; facts which have proved to me that the life of Barnabas Collins as I constructed and recorded it was pure fiction and nothing more. Providence has now afforded me a second chance. I shall endeavor in these pages to set the record straight and tell the true and shocking story of the life of Barnabas Collins.

Quentin remembers that Will researched Barnabas so thoroughly that he can't possibly have anything new to offer. He decides to ask Will about it, but that's all we hear about Barnabas--for now, anyway.

Trask comes up to Angelique’s parlor, apparently in answer to Alexis’s summons. (Cyrus has gone home in the meantime.) She asks if Quentin has retired for the evening; Trask says he is in his study. Alexis tells Trask, I want you to do something for me that I don’t want Quentin to know about. I want you to drive me back to the cemetery so that I can visit my sister’s tomb one more time. I will be ready to leave in ten minutes. Trask goes to get the car ready. Alexis takes one more long look at Angelique’s portrait.

As thunder rumbles and lightning flashes, Alexis sends the reluctant Trask back to the car to wait for her. Alexis enters to the mausoleum. She opens the casket and looks down at her sister’s uncorrupted body. She touches Angelique’s arm, wondering, Why does she still look as she did in life? It is wrong, she decides, it goes against the natural order of things. As she speaks the camera zooms in for a closeup of Angelique lying in her tomb so that we can see the pulse in her neck (though this was surely unintentional). I am reluctant, Alexis murmurs, but Quentin and Cyrus are right--the body must be destroyed. The next moment, she is paralyzed with shock when Angelique slowly opens her eyes. With a smile she tells her horrified sister, My dear Alexis, you were always so right. Someone must be destroyed--but it won't be me. It will be you....

[As Alexis touches Angelique in her coffin, Alexis is played by Arlene Sand. The next episode teaser is a rerun of the end of this episode.]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:28 AM »
Did Arlene Sand work on the show?  I thought D Selby overdid it when he reacted to the new Barnabas book.  It should have just been a curious bit of trivia to him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
According to my notes, Arlene Sand did just this one bit. Should I know who she is?  [hall_embarrassed]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
According to my notes, Arlene Sand did just this one bit. Should I know who she is?  [hall_embarrassed]

The DS FAQ, a compendium of show trivia that has been reproduced online and is a source for KLS' books, lists that Amber Brie was Angelique's stand-in in this instance.  Arlene Sand (nothing else about her is known) appeared in Lara Parker's place in 1795--when Jeremiah carried Angelique to his grave.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:51:51 PM »
From Robservations:
(Alexis -)your body must be destroyed.
The woman in the coffin opens her eyes and, with a slight smile, says, "My dear Alexis, you are always so right--someone must be destroyed--but it won't be me--it will be YOU."

One of my all-time favorite moments on DS. I remember that my jaw practically fell to the floor when it first aired - and on Monday my friends at school said they'd had the same reaction. Though given we were all faithful DS fans, you'd think we would have always been prepared for anything so it really shouldn't have been as surprising as it was - but it was. And the moment was also immortalized in a subsequent ABC promo for the show that I've made reference to in the past...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
You're right, MB--and thanks for the frame grabs! I was completely stunned when I saw first saw it. You'd think that I'd realize that there'd be one good twin and one evil one, but that was the last thing I was expecting. *sheepish*

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:14:11 AM »
This is one of my favorite episodes, along with the one that follows.
The episode is somewhat padded with Amy's account of the freaky atmosphere at Loomis House. I suppose it was necessary to remind viewers that Barnabas was still around, just not on screen.
Alexis undoubtedly means well but to return to the crypt was certainly not a wise move. Alexis is justifiably shocked when her dead sister opens her eyes and speaks.
I am extremely impressed with Lara Parker's work here. She managed to create a completely different persona as Alexis. Alexis was basically a good person, not insipid or vapid like other DS heroines could sometimes be. Alexis was one of my favorite characters on the original run and that holds true to this day. No other character death on DS ever touched me the same way. And, unlike a lot of other characters, death for Alexis was indeed final. Lara also does a fine job at making Angelique different than Mrs. Rumson. This Angelique seems [spoiler]even more evil than Angelique at her worst in real time. There are very few layers to this Angelique. She is much more a villain here.[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
Uncle Roger, I agree. I was really sad to see Alexis go, and I share your opinion of PT Angelique. Nice work by Lara Parker all around.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »
I really wish I had the crystal clear memories all of you have.  I'm afraid my head was too full of Star Trek at the time. 

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
Between the Beatles and ST, my brain was full! My only excuse is that I didn't watch the show till it was in syndication on the local public TV channel in the 1980s.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
My memories are largely from the original run. I have always had an extremely good memory where stuff like this is concerned. Not total recall but close. I can still recite the first and last names of the original Mouseketeers. It is somewhat of a selective thing; it never worked quite as well in school. [devil2] [8_1_209] [devil2]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
Yeah, funny how that works sometimes....