Author Topic: Interesting DVD Set 13 Review  (Read 1136 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Interesting DVD Set 13 Review
« on: September 09, 2004, 08:00:47 AM »
This review of DS DVD Collection 13 popped onto the Internet radar just a few hours ago:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12214

Have to confess that I'm partial to the paragraph on David Selby's portrayal of Quentin, but I also was intrigued by the remarks about Lara Parker's commentary at the end of disc 2. While I think the reviewer might be a tad bit harsh, I do admit to staring at the screen and saying, "Umm . . . ok" while watching her interview.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting DVD Set 13 Review
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 07:36:22 PM »
What a wonderful review. And it's especially nice to finally see an article on the Web that states the reality: DS was already on the road to success BEFORE Barnabas appeared on the scene.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 08:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the link to that great review. It was extremely interesting. Of course, I am especially partial to the comments about Grayson and Thayer as "the smelly, thieving gypsies."  ;D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 04:17:50 AM »
That was an interesting review. . of course which part did i like dear?  This one of course ..

But perhaps the most juicy bit of recasting (if you have not already guessed, Shadows used existing company members for multiple roles to keep the constantly colliding planes of existence realistic and reliable within the show) was turning the cosmopolitan Grayson Hall and the robust Renaissance man Thayer David into a couple of smelly, thieving gypsies. As Magda and Sandor, they provide untold moments of mirth with their broad accents and even more amusing mannerisms. Each actor looks like they are having the time of their life in these "alternative" roles and their obvious energy spikes an already high bit of camp into psycho-surreal melodrama.   That just made me  ;D
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:51:06 AM »
Quoting the author, Bill Gibron:

Volume 13 introduces us to Carl Collins (John Karlen, who usually plays Barnabas's Renfield, Willie Loomis). A fey prankster who seems constantly on the verge of giggling, crying, and wetting his pants, all at the same time...

Now THAT'S funny!!.......... :D[/color]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »
Well after all the reviewer wrote, I hardly see how he/she can say DS wasn't a "great" show.

I did have to laugh at the catty comments about the interviews on the DVD.

G.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 06:28:40 AM »
I saw this article the other day as well.  I completely agree with him about the Lara Parker interview at the end of Disc 2.  She seemed unprepared on what she was saying, seemed to repeat herself from what she already said on other discs and had no further insight into her character or Dark Shadows.  I felt it was a rambling, piece of nothing and is my pet peeve of this set.

I just adore Magda and Sandor.  I just think these two are just so original for daytime drama (or any TV drama really).  Not only do they serve as the comic relief but also as key players in the drama.  Simple, yet not.