Author Topic: DING DONG. Avon calling...  (Read 1425 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
DING DONG. Avon calling...
« on: September 11, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »
I was cleaning the house today and here comes a UPS truck.  I knew what it was.  My college daughter is the neighborhood Avon "lady".  Anyway, I was wondering....

Who sells Avon in Collinsport?  And...what do people buy?

Maggie is the "rep".  She also buys for herself.  Sugar Cane and Party Pink lipstiks, and Straight & Sleek shampoo and conditioner.  What a good girl should wear.

Carolyn, dear Carolyn.  Ice Pink nail color.  For her hair, True Blonde.  Lipstick, Pinktastic.  She likes to wear this at the Blue Whale, drives boys crazy...wink..wink....

Elizabeth.  Real Red nail color.  Midnight Blue Eye Liner.  She's the boss, and she wants everybody to know it.

Dr. Hoffman.  Romeo Lipcolor. Red Red Nail Enamel.  Smoky Mauve Eyeshadow.  Rumor has it that Josette wore these colors.

Mrs. Johnson.  Therapeutic Cracked Heel Foot Works.  From chasing David and Harry around.

Angelique.  Skin-so-soft bath oil. For Barnabas!
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: DING DONG. Avon calling...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »
Rumor has it that Josette wore these colors.

Wouldn't surprise me....I've heard that it was an Avon Lady who taught Cleopatra everything she knew about eye make-up.

;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:37:04 PM »
what if it was mrs.johnson herself who sold avon door-to-door in collinsport? imagine if elizabeth hadn't offered her the housekeeping position after mr. malloy died.well,a girl's got to make a living right? she might have had to hoof it to make ends meet.she's got the tenacity and work ethic to have made avon work for her.i think she would have done very well. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:07:04 PM »
With all due respect to the ever-faithful Mrs. Johnson....she doesn't LOOK the part of The Avon Lady.

Actually, I think the best candidate for the job would be Cassandra!  She's certainly beautiful enough to carry it off....and it probably would have been very convenient for her to have that make-upcase to conceal her various containers of newt's eyes, frog's toes, bat's wool.....well, you know... :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:09:14 PM »
whoever the avon lady was she always noticed that when she visited mr.collins at the old house he cleaned her out on under-eye concealer(those dark circle!),blush-on(so pale!) and avon's "jasmine" scented perfume. :P

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 01:45:21 PM »
Along those lines, I can see Mrs. Johnson getting sick and tired of her son, Harry, loafing off of everyone, including herself.  She gives him the ultimatum of finding a real job or else she will toss him out of Collinwood.  So now Collinsport has a very disgruntled Fuller Brush Man.

Gerard  (Who's Wondering Who Here Will Give Away Their Age And Admit They Remember What A Fuller Brush Man Is)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 01:58:31 PM »
Gerard  (Who's Wondering Who Here Will Give Away Their Age And Admit They Remember What A Fuller Brush Man Is)

ME!

;)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 06:48:16 PM »
ME!

;)

I do too. Funny, though - I don't remember one ever coming to the house, whereas I do recall my mom inviting the Avon ladies in.

As for Harry, why do I think he wouldn't even be able to make himself a success as an FBM?  ;)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 08:42:06 PM »
Me too!  I don't know if the men were Fuller Brush men, but she never invited them in.  But an Avon lady....well my mother invited them in and ofter them coffee and cookie and, she still buys Avon.  Everytime I smell "Occur", I'm taken back to where I was 7 years old and my mother looked and smelled fabulous. :)
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 01:23:50 AM »
I do too. Funny, though - I don't remember one ever coming to the house, whereas I do recall my mom inviting the Avon ladies in.

And I NEVER remember an Avon Lady showing up at our house... ???

Did you have a man who sharpened knives come around your neighborhood?  Actually HE would have been a useful fellow to have around a dangerous place like Collinwood!!  ;D
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 02:23:17 AM »
i could be totally wrong but i think that the fuller-brush man sold carpet-cleaning equipment and other household cleaning supplies.am i imagining that? when i was a kid in the 70's i vaguely remember my mom saying that the fuller-brush man was coming over.
b.t.w...my grandmother fern(alive and well-dressed)in florida at 87(house undamaged by recent huricanes) delivered singing telegrams in her youth but in later years sold a line of costume jewelry called "act 2".she had parties at her house along the lines of old avon or tupperware parties. :P

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 05:39:37 AM »
I find it easy to imagine Mrs. Johnson being invited to as well as having a Tupperware party of her own, although with her bad feet selling Avon would be out of the question.

Julia however would make a wonderful Avon Lady, with her perfect hair style and knowledge of make up and beauty, Julia would have every woman in Collinsport as a client, and quite a few of the men also...  :D lol.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)