Author Topic: Computer question re: Windows SP2  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Computer question re: Windows SP2
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 07:45:24 AM »
My disk arrived today - now I just have to decide whether or not to use it!!  :)
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 07:15:38 PM »
Be bold, be bold ... be not too bold!

(Spenser, Faerie Queene)

Seriously, Josette, please keep us posted.  I still haven't downloaded -- haven't wanted to take the time to deal with it.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 04:45:41 AM »
Thank you, Vlad!  A few of the WordPerfect people posted that they didn't have any problems.  They also have a link to the MS site with instructions to read before doing it (I think that came with the disk, too), and one person said there is a problem if one uses AdAware (an anti-spy program), but I didn't read that information yet.  I'll post the link here when I do.  I hope to be able to try it on Sunday.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2004, 04:46:43 AM »
I installed it!  I had some ZoneAlarm alerts come up asking for permission, but nothing from Windows.  I checked the Windows Firewall again, and it was NOT checked to be on - I know I checked it!!  So, I did it again.  I still haven't noticed anything from it.

My McAfee Anti-Virus came up with a box asking me to make it the default A-V or there could be conflicts with the Windows one.

Otherwise, I assume all's well!!
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »
Josette...a thing FINALLY came up for me to download a 'critical update from MS'. When I clicked on it, it appears to be for XP service pack; so I came back here to re-read.

Any problems or input from someone who has installed it?

Also, what would happen if I DIDN'T update??

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 05:21:22 AM »
Patti, so far I haven't noticed anything different!!  I suppose it's possible that there could be a problem with some program I haven't used yet, but it seems to doing well!   :)

Since the Win firewall isn't supposed to be as good as some of the commercial ones, it's still advised to use a firewall and anti-virus, etc.  So, I assume if one has those, one shouldn't need the Windows version, but I'm no expert in any of this, so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in!
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
AAAHHHH!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 02:48:51 PM »
Well, since my husband installed service pack, I have not been able to get online at home (I'm at work now).

On taskbar, there's an icon saying no internet connection; if I log on to verizon, says okie dokie.

Called Verizon, they can't see the problem.

First, after he installed, I had to tweek ALOT of stuff even to move (not online).

WAAAHHH!!! and this computer at work sucks.

Cool graphics MB.

Love,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 01:22:13 AM »
Vlad -- No, I didn't disable anything. Just downloaded and installed it and let it rip. :)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 08:02:40 AM »
There's already an urgent page to SP2!!!  My update thing yesterday said that SP2 might appear to be completely installed, but might not be, and the patch is needed to make sure things are right.  Unbelievable!!!!  (Well, maybe not!)
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »
Well, I was tricked into downloading SP2 tonight.

Every single time I've turned on my computer since SP2 came out, I've gotten a popup message saying I need to download it.  However, the documentation to understand it and preparations necessary prior to downloading it were too daunting and time-consuming to go through, so I have continued to ignore the messages.  I have dozens of pages printed out from MS's webpages detailing instructions of what to do before you even dare download the thing, just for example, backing up every file on your computer, disabling your antivirus protection, and disabling your firewall.

I simply haven't had time to deal with it, but now tonight I decided to click on the "urgent update message," and it listed 8 "hotfixes" that they said needed to be downloaded and that it was urgent.  None of them said anything about being SP2, and it said I could download them and continue to do other things on my computer.  It sounded like they were OK, so I just clicked "install," then continued to use the Internet, etc.

I was surprised that the downloading was going so slowly.  Usually these things take one or two minutes at the most, but this must have taken about an hour.  After that, I got continually messages pestering me about restarting my computer, which wasn't convenient as I was working on a couple of different files I had open.

Out of curiosity, just to "see" the 8 downloaded "hotfixes," I went to my control panel and clicked on the "Add/Remove" icon, then selected to order them by date used.  There were the 8 new hotfixes, and after each one, in parentheses, each one said ("SP2").

I think this was really a scary way to have downloaded this to my computer, and I'm really surprised at the underhanded tactics MS used.  I'm especially surprised that they had me download this without any preparations as their own information says must be done prior to downloading.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 08:54:51 AM »
Interesting to read all about this since just a few days ago I changed from IE to Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/

I've found that while using IE [I have XP] I had loads of adware, and spyware on my computer without my knowledge.  After getting a spybot and spywareblaster, I found all those unwanted files.  I'd remove them only to find them on my computer the next time I used IE.  After downloading and using Firefox, I haven't found any adware in 2-3 days!  I'm sold and it's free.

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 09:34:49 AM »
Not sure if it is clear to all that what I'm describing is supposed to be "good" for your computer -- "MS" = MicroSoft, SP2 = "ServicePack2".  But the way Microsoft tricked me into downloading it does seem to be a tactic worthy of the people who similarly trick unsuspecting people into downloading things that include unwanted programs, spyware, etc.!

Dsbarnabasfan, you'll find that Mozilla is often promoted here as a superior alternative to IE.   ;D

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »
Not sure if it is clear to all that what I'm describing is supposed to be "good" for your computer -- "MS" = MicroSoft, SP2 = "ServicePack2".  But the way Microsoft tricked me into downloading it does seem to be a tactic worthy of the people who similarly trick unsuspecting people into downloading things that include unwanted programs, spyware, etc.!

Dsbarnabasfan, you'll find that Mozilla is often promoted here as a superior alternative to IE.   ;D

I just find it strange that I upgraded my IE to SP2 and completed all the downloads and still get all that crap on my computer.  I've read that IE has many security code holes but I thought that SP2 corrected it...with all those downloads you'd thing they got it right.  Well, I haven't seen any improvement yet.  I hope it does happen though!
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 08:54:44 PM »
I just turned on my computer and got a message saying I need to download ServicePack2.

???

I hate to say "nevermind" regarding my earlier posts, but maybe those "hotfixes" I downloaded last night weren't SP2 itself.

::)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 10:53:34 PM »
I hate to say "nevermind" regarding my earlier posts, but maybe those "hotfixes" I downloaded last night weren't SP2 itself.

::)

When it comes to Microsoft, it's nearly impossible to second guess anything they're likely to do, so certainly *you're* not the one at fault.  ;)