Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0957  (Read 1295 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0957
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
Robservations #957

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0957

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Jeb screams!  And runs.  We don't see who spooked him.  Suddenly, strange hairdo on Julia.  Why don't they make Carolyn one of them, now?  This ep is well written.  The reunion between Barnabas and Willie was emotional and energized.  "But it won't stop me" Barnabas says, about his revamping. 

Right at the end of Willie's speech before going out the door and back to Roxanne, Karlen stuck his lower lip out, in a way that looked like a ridiculous parody of sympathy or sadness.  He did it as if it was an afterthought, a moment or two after he was done talking, but the camera was lingering on him.  This made me wonder if the director wanted the actors to do things like this.  Shortly after Julia does it too. 

Jeb tries to strangle Julia, and is stopped by same ghost or whatever presumably.... end.  By Sam Hall.  When do V Welles' ghost-written scripts start?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
Once again the Leviathan Supreme Being changes back to Jeb Hawkes OUTSIDE the safety of his dedicated room. I guess the old fight-or-flight response kicked in.

Lovely scene with Willie and Barnabas, with heartfelt emotions.

Julia takes Maggie upstairs to rest--in Josette's room. But where is Angelique??!! Barnabas comes in, and Julia goes downstairs to see Willie. Maggie turns away from him in shame. I don’t hold you responsible for what happened, she says. I’m horrified at how close I came to losing you! he replies, still upset. But what Providence drove Jeb away? he asks. Why did he change into human form? Maggie wonders. How did he turn into his true form? Barnabas asks. Sarcastically he answers his own question: They must have “consecrated” another room--or rather, made another room incredibly evil, he adds, the corners of his mouth turned down with distaste. We must stop this quickly--I cannot have you in this danger!

Poor Willie wrings his hands twice in this episode. Maybe that was another instruction from the director. At least Willie finds a willing listener in Julia, who gives him a sweet, genuine smile as he talks about his Roxanne. Later, when he brings Maggie some tea, he asks her to look after Barnabas and even offers her a fairly profound and compassionate observation: I never knew how awful it is to be alone until I wasn't.

Jeb barges in to talk to Barnabas. Jeb boasts that Barnabas can't save himself or Maggie. He says, I admit it was a childish mistake to make you a vampire. Nicholas told you that, Barnabas replies, implying that Jeb didn’t come to the realization by himself. You made a lot of mistakes too, Jeb replies--like burning down the antique shop and making Maggie Evans a spy. Barnabas bridles when Jeb dares to utter Maggie’s name. (JF does these little bits so well!) Jeb doesn’t miss this and tells him, Part of your punishment will be to watch us get Willie Loomis too. And I want you to be in the room when I marry Carolyn. I am able to do anything! Jeb exults. I will get you before then! Barnabas rages. I’ll find your coffin! Jeb retorts. Barnabas says, I will see that you are finished before-- Before when? Jeb asks mockingly. Before morning? You may not have much more time than that. Get out! Barnabas shouts at him, but Jeb isn’t finished. I know you caused what happened to me in that hallway! he says, unable to hide his agitation. Barnabas is surprised, but Jeb is still too upset to notice. I know you did! Jeb shouts. I don't know how you did it, but you did! Now, you think that you can use my weaknesses against me? You aren't! I am going to get you, Barnabas! I am going to get you! He runs out of the house.

Barnabas thoughtfully considers the clues Jeb has given away: I caused what happened in the hallway? he muses. What did happen? What are Jeb's weaknesses? The werewolf--he is terrified of him. I know that. The werewolf and... ghosts? I don't know, he finishes aloud. I don't know! Willie has returned unnoticed. You’re talking to yourself, he comments. That’s not a good sign. Barnabas tries to send him away, but Willie decides that he has to stay and help.

At 4:00 a.m., Julia returns wearily to Collinwood. Maggie is safe, she thinks to herself, but what could have stopped Jeb? I can’t believe it’s a ghost, she thinks, despite all her time at Collinwood. Do we have an unknown ally? She decides to go to the Tower Room. After Julia goes upstairs, Jeb steps out of the servants’ door and follows her.

Julia walks toward the Tower Room slowly, carefully searching for any clue to what frightened Jeb. Jeb creeps up behind her and suddenly wraps his arm around her neck. Tell me where Barnabas’s coffin is! he says. No! she cries. I will kill you if you don’t! he says, wrapping his arm tighter. Suddenly Jeb looks up in terror. We hear strange, whistling Theremin music. Julia’s face is suffused with a blue light. Jeb lets go of Julia and shouts, No! You stay away from me! Stay away from me! The Theremin music only gets louder, and once again Jeb bolts back down the hall. Julia stands her ground, knowing that whoever--or whatever--saved her from Jeb must mean her no harm. She looks straight at whatever is approaching. Who are you? she asks. What do you want? Who are you?..........

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
In the midst of all the Leviathan nuttiness, we have some genuinely nice moments between Willie and Maggie, and Willie and Julia. It's moments like this that capture the characters so well, making them more special. To me, anyway.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
Me too, definitely!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »
Me three. I savor DS real life normalcy.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
Yes! Unrelated note: I think this is the first episode where a mysterious blue light, accompanied by spooky music, signifies the presence of a ghost or spirit. We'll get a lot more of this in at least one future story line.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
Me four! (Or five?)  Willie has always had an affinity for looking out for Maggie's well-being, going way way back to the first Barnabas storyline... Not that he's exactly setting the world on fire with his braveness here against this new unseen threat.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
A lot of this is lost as the series goes on. TPTB seem to forget or ignore that the audience is invested in the core characters and their relations to one another. The conversion of Elizabeth, David and Amy carries more meaning because we know and like these people. Same with Carolyn being the Leviathan dream girl. Sadly, we don't see Roger again after this storyline. Nor do we see the more evolved Angelique. And the show loses a lot, for me anyway.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
True, RQ, but that's part of his job. Somehow or other, he always gets the job done.

In the first Barn story line, Willie actually is pretty brave. He puts himself between Barn and Maggie when Barn is about to kill her. Later, he goes the mausoleum at the earliest break of day to get her out of the coffin (still scary to me).

P.S. I love your tag line!

Uncle Roger, we really don't see Roger much after this? Oh, dear. I just don't remember. I know he's in 1970PT, though.

No sooner do we get invested in these characters than TPTB write ’em off. *sigh*

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:14 AM »
Roger does appear fairly often during the Parallel Time story. But real time Roger never appears again after the fall of the Leviathans. Roger is supposed to be in Europe during the 1970 haunting.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
Thanks DarkLady!! [salute]

I know it was last episode, but I'm hoping someday to be able to call someone an "itinerant nobody"...
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:44:17 PM »
In a good way, I hope, Uncle Quentin!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:07 AM »
In a good way, I hope, Uncle Quentin!

chuckle...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
I love this shot of Julia just before she leaves the room after Jeb has made a snide remark to her:

You just know she'd like to strangle him!!  [strangle]