Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Makeup
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2002, 12:21:04 AM »

As far as the beauty mark/patch goes, the fact that it moved was actually historically accurate, albeit a bit out of date for 1795.  It was fashionable for ladies to wear patches of different shapes.  The shape and location of the patch meant different things.

Maybe she took matters into her own hands and started doing her own?

I have this theory that there were two sets of makeup people.  The ones who used the trowel approach and who were probably nearsighted and the ones who knew what they were doing  ;D

Luciaphil

I had read that the moving beauty mark was accurate. . i'm curious now to what they might've meant and whether the makeup people or GH herself played with that?  I also think you're right. . .she must've said. . "give me that makeup case, I'm tired of looking like I dip my face in a vat of black eyeliner and mascara!!"
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2002, 12:36:34 AM »

Tekkwryter (sp)....you'd know...is this correct??
Any more info on this?
Thanks
Patti

Patti,

Beauty marks were the rage in 18th Century France especially among aristocrats. If you did not have one, you would draw one. The mark was "strategecally" placed to hide blemishes (small pox) or highlight certain features (best assets) of an individual. One woman was known to wear 15 at one time. Even men wore marks to hide blemishes.

Does this answer your question? VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2002, 01:56:12 AM »
I personally don't know how anyone stays awake with the real heavy false eyelashes.  My girlfriend and I tried some for fun many years ago.  Really felt heavy.  It was a real riot putting those on.  Would have made a wonderful Funny Home Video.

Cocoa
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.