Author Topic: DS Weekend 2004  (Read 3137 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS Weekend 2004
« on: August 19, 2004, 11:55:27 PM »
Friday the 13th--not the best day to begin a Festival weekend.  My bad luck actually began on Thursday when my flight to NY was delayed by an hour and our baggage was held up for half an hour upon landing at JFK.  However, on Friday morning I was awake fairly early and went downstairs to meet and greet my friends and fellow DS fans.

Friday was the day trip to Lyndhurst.  I had expected a single bus to take people to and from the estate, but actually a series of shuttle left throughout the morning, so people could trickle out at their leisure.  I thought that this system was very efficient. However, the shuttle drivers all went on their lunch breaks from 1-3 (not so efficient) leaving fans either stranded at Lyndhurst or at the hotel.  I had visited the estate back in October of 2002 during Ed Lambese's Halloweenathon. The grounds of Lyndhurst are beautiful, but I felt that the house was too small to accommodate the large DS tour groups, so I chose to stay behind at the hotel to avoid the crush this time.  I was glad that I had remained behind, for it rained heavily on Friday afternoon (actually it rained off and on throughout the weekend) and I don't think it would have been pleasant to explore the grounds in the wet and the mud.  The people that I spoke to all seemed to have enjoyed their trip, rain or no rain, although I know that some people who went searching for the remains of the Spratt House (used as the Old House on DS the series, which burned down in 1969) found only bug bites for their troubles.

The registration line was not as bad as it has been in previous years.  The line actually split alphabetically; there was a window for people whose surnames began with A-G and another window for H-Z.  In addition to our programs, we were all given free 1999 DS calendars.  All of the pictures in the calendar were from one of the DS movies; I'm guessing they were given to us because this year's location was in the movie's territory.

Opening ceremonies were delayed until everyone in the registration line had been helped, but in spite of this I still missed them because my friends and I were in one of the hotel's two restaurants waiting for our food.  However, I do know that the Collinsport Players did not open the Festival with a skit, despite what was listed in the program, so those of you who told me that you missed the first skit on Friday can relax.  Both of the shows, "My Fair Julia" and "Scooby-Doo and Barnabas Too" took place on Saturday.  The Players holed up in a room in back of the main ballroom to conduct rehearsals after hours on Friday night and for much of Saturday.  Because I was rehearsing with them and didn't see everything that went on, my coverage of this year's events is going to be brief.

By the time I finally made it to the ballroom, I was able to catch the tail-end of the Q&A with Marie Wallace and Denise Nickerson.  Someone asked how far in advance of taping did they get the scripts.  Denise thought they'd only been given the scripts the day before, but Marie disagreed.  "I can remember carrying my script around with me for about a week before we taped."  "But," Denise pointed out, "they always made changes in the scripts right at the last minute, so we didn't know what we were really supposed to do until the night before."  The actors and actresses would also come to the studio the day before the taping to do a read through of the script.  webby asked for memories of Joel Crothers.  Both ladies praised his talent and mentioned how nice he was.  Marie had actually known Joel before acting on DS with him.  "It was a little TV production about two girls who were roommates and their boyfriends.  Joel didn't play my boyfriend, but he was the boyfriend of the other girl.  So that was where we met for the first time.  I don't think anybody knew about it except the two of us.  And then he was on Somerset later at the same time that I was."  The actresses were also asked if they had been approached to participate in the new DS that the WB was planning.  "In my case, that's a big no," said Denise.  Marie's response was more in-depth and it seemed to me that she was a bit hostile to the idea of a new DS.  "I don't see why they have to remake and recast DS at all.  I don't think the executives get it.  Part of the reason why DS was so successful was because of the people who were involved, people like Jonathan Frid, and the stories they told.  I know they made a new DS in the early ¢â‚¬Ëœ90's, and it may have been pretty slick--in fact it was too slick.  That was one of the problems.  What they made was nice, but it wasn't Dark Shadows."  Emcee Richard Halpern added to this topic by asking the audience how many would like to see a next generation continuation of the show versus a revival of DS.  There was enthusiasm for both (personally, I vote for a continuation) as well as for a feature film.

Marie and Denise left then and we were treated to what I call the KLS and Karlen comedy half-hour.  Kathryn Leigh and John took their places amidst applause.  Then she turned to Johnny, who was wearing a T-shirt and shorts, and asked, "What happened to the rest of your pants?"  "They're in your room, sweetheart," he replied.  The rest of the Q&A session was like that--friendly joking and bantering back and forth.  John addressed the line of people that was already forming at the microphone.  "This year, I want you to ask us personal questions, real deep, dark questions.  Instead of asking about some dumb music box like we hear every year, why don't you ask about the good stuff?"  I knew he was waiting for a specific question.  Earlier in the dealer's room, Johnny had pointed to the MPI vendor's table where the five DS bobbleheads (Josette, the werewolf, Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique) were on display.  "Where is the Willie Loomis bobblehead?  That's what I want to know.  When I go onstage, I want you all to ask, ¢â‚¬ËœWhere is Willie Loomis's bobblehead?'"  Now that he was onstage, he ordered the audience to shout the question at the count of three.  After we'd finished demanding a Willie bobblehead, the personal questions began. 

The first question, addressed to John Karlen, was, "What's your dress size?"  "I don't know," he replied, "but whatever it is, I'm growing out of it."  Next, Gothick asked several in-depth questions about the Daughters of Darkness film.  Karlen mentioned that the movie will be screened at the Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles (I believe he said it would be on August 27.)  They discussed a scene in the film where John and the two lead actresses recall the crimes of Countess Elizabeth Bathory.  "That movie really did have some great dialogue," Johnny said.  "I'm glad you noticed it."  Johnny seemed to have had a lot of fun making the film and traveling to and from Paris with the lead actress, Delphine Seyrig.  "Don't knock the French," Karlen pleaded.  "They have much better cooking than we do.  Much better cooking!"  Gothick also asked Karlen why he punched the director, Harry Kumel, an event that Karlen apparently discussed on the DVD of the film. "He started it," John asserted.  "He slapped one of the actresses, Daniele.  I thought that was awful and I ran down the stairs, yelling at him.  Then he turned around and hit me.  I knew that was going to happen as soon as I got involved, but I went ahead anyway.  So then I punched him¢â‚¬¦Man, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to get really mad again.  Now I don't think I want to go to the screening after all.  I might want to hit Harry again; I hate that guy."  "It could be a 34th Anniversary punch," Kathryn teased.  Another question was, "Did any of the cast members have affairs with each other?"  "No," Johnny answered, "I never had an affair with any of the actor-esses."  However, he did joke about having a thing for Lela (Swift).  "Since you want us to get personal, how much money did you make on the show?" asked a fan.  "Nothing.  Not a cent.  Dan Curtis made all the money," Johnny replied.  Someone else wanted to know why Karlen was hired to replace the original Willie Loomis (James Hall).  "I have no idea," he said.  "They were in the middle of a story and they just put me to work."

"I can answer that," Kathryn said. (Meanwhile, Karlen pretended to snore.)  "He (James) was a former classmate of mine from acting school, a very nice guy.  But he had a bit of a drinking problem.  It was clear that he was pretty nervous while he was on the set.  One day, we were in the middle of shooting an episode, and it became obvious that he just could not go on.  It was a shame, but the producers were very nice to him.  Then they hired John Karlen."

"There's no shame in being an alcoholic," Karlen insisted.  "In fact, Lee Strasburg taught that, when you feel nervous, just take a drink and it will help you relax."

"Lee Strasburg said that?!" Kathryn asked incredulously.

"Yes, he did."

"That's silly," she scoffed.  "We lost some wonderful actors (from the show) because they were too ¢â‚¬Ëœrelaxed'."

Johnny began a list.  "John Barrymore, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable--they were all alcoholics."

"And look what happened to them!" Kathryn shot back.

"Yeah, they had the greatest careers of anybody in Hollywood," Johnny returned.  "It's OK to be an alcoholic."

Rolling her eyes, Kathryn addressed the audience.  "Don't listen to him."

Johnny was asked whether he preferred working with Dennis Patrick or Jonathan Frid (while he answered, Kathryn pretended to snore.)  "You want me to say I liked one more than the other?  Well, how about if I say I liked them both equally?"  John Karlen obviously has great respect for Jon Frid and stressed that they were good friends (I guess all the canings were forgiven.)  He also spoke about his first meeting with Dennis Patrick.  "We were taking a walk on my first day--we hadn't even shot our first scene together yet--but he started opening up to me about the divorce he was going through at the time.  From then on, we became good friends."  Kathryn was asked to share her memories of Joel Crothers and she told of a time she took a last minute trip to Italy to visit her then-boyfriend, Ben Martin.  She'd mentioned her plans to Joel, and he showed up at her apartment later that day with a packed suitcase and his own All'Italia ticket.  "In the airport, all the stewardesses were watching us and whispering, wondering if Joe and Maggie were running away together."  A fan remarked that John Karlen's DS characters, in particular Willie Loomis and Carl Collins, had very nervous mannerisms.  "Was that the way you played them, or were you really nervous in those scenes?"  Johnny answered that the nervousness was how he interpreted the characters.   "The characters on DS were so great!  I had a chance to play such wonderful parts, and then they gave me the dumb Emmy for "Cagney and Lacey"!  All I ever did on that show was make pasta."  Kathryn remarked that she thought John Karlen was the most talented actor on DS.   John himself went on to praise Jonathan Frid's work.  "I just had to go on, do a silly scene and leave, but Jon (Frid) had to stay on camera the entire time and deliver these long speeches."  Karlen was asked what he had been doing while he was not on the show.  "I was probably in plays," he explained.  "I didn't have a contract. I just showed up here and there, and Dan would let me be on the show."  Lastly, someone made a joke about one of Johnny's earlier comments.  "I believe you when you say you didn't have affairs with any of the actresses, because I heard a rumor that you had an affair with Jonathan Frid."  "Honey, I'm going to set the record straight on that--it's not a rumor," Karlen joked.  "He's going to call me later tonight. He calls me all the time from Canada."

Next, Lara Parker came onstage.  She shared recent news, such as the marriage of her youngest son and the fact that her daughter had recently started college.  The usual questions--how did you audition for DS, what was your favorite blooper--were asked, and Lara told of how, during her audition, Jonathan Frid had whispered that the role was that of a witch. Learning this, Lara had glared into the camera with her best witchy look, and she believed that was what got her hired.  But she wasn't entirely happy with the part at first, for she'd wanted to play a heroine.  "Jonathan had to keep reminding me, ¢â‚¬ËœYou're the heavy, you've got the best part.  Stop crying and be mean!'"  As for a memorable blooper, she cited the time during the 1795 storyline when a prop man had doused her house of cards with too much lighter fluid, and it burned to ashes before she could finish her incantation.  Fans also wanted to know about Lara's books; what was the new book about, when would it be available, and would Angelique's Descent ever be back in print.  "If the new book sells well, Tor may re-release Angelique's Descent.  I recently got back the rights to the book, so we can do that now," Lara explained.  The new book should be available in either summer or fall of 2005.  In this novel, Lara touches on the history between Judah Zachery and Miranda DuVal, the first Angelique, who really was a witch in Salem.  Also, Barnabas is cured of his vampirism, but he's not entirely happy with his new life as an aging, powerless mortal--particularly when a new vampire comes to town and Barnabas has no way to fight it.  Lastly, a group of hippies living on the Old House property plays a part in the unfolding of events.  LdyAnne also asked Lara about her recent online short story, "Her Robert Blake" and how much of it was inspired by Lara's actual guest stint on "Barretta".  At this, Lara laughed and laughed.  Not her famous Angelique chuckle--she was asked to do that later--but bemused, embarrassed laughter.  "Oh, boy¢â‚¬¦I didn't know anybody had read that¢â‚¬¦I made it up, none of it really happened.  It's called ¢â‚¬Ëœfiction'."  Lara was asked to share her memories of making the film Race with the Devil.  Specifically, she recalled a scene where her character discovered a rattle snake in her trailer.  A live snake was used for this.  "We had six-foot tall Teamsters who wouldn't come near it.  Loretta Swit gave me all her lines from that scene." In fact, the rattler was harmless.  "Before filming, a handler milked the snake.  He put the fangs over the edge of a jar and squeezed down on the venom glands.  All the poison came out and went into the jar.  My character was supposed to find the snake, pick it up and start screaming.  Meanwhile the director was calling to me, ¢â‚¬ËœHold it up.  Let's get a shot of you showing both the fangs and the rattle.'  He wanted me to throw the snake down, but I didn't want to hurt it, so I just--" she mimed placing the snake down carefully.  "The director was getting frustrated with me.  He said, ¢â‚¬ËœJust throw the f****er down.'"  Another fan wanted Lara to share her memories of Humbert Allen Astredo.  "He was a very nice man, and a method actor," she recalled.  "He tried to teach me how to act.  For example, if someone held up a cross and I screamed, he would ask me, ¢â‚¬ËœWhat are you screaming at?' A cross isn't really scary, so I would have to think about something else that would make me scream."  It was evident that Lara thought highly of Humbert.  One man brought up the issue of religion.  "I don't know what all of the actors' backgrounds in faith are, but in scenes where you had to perform black magic or call up the devil, did you ever feel guilty?"  "Well," Lara admitted, "when I'd go home after taping a scene like that I'd think, ¢â‚¬ËœOh, please, don't let that really work!'"

Lara ended her Q&A by reading the first chapter of her new book in which Barnabas and Willie visit the reconstructed Old House, now owned by an Angelique lookalike named Antoinette.  In Angelique's Descent, the Old House burned to the ground (a point that evidently upset many fans and readers,) but Antoinette purchased the property and proceeded to rebuild the estate, presumably using old blueprints that she had discovered.  However, the details of the new Old House are so similar to the original, right down to the furniture and the aged look of the paneling, that both Barnabas and Willie are disturbed.  Their fear increases when they descend into the basement and discover evidence that a vampire has been there¢â‚¬¦

From here, I left the ballroom for a night of skit rehearsals, but I understand that the night ended with a screening of both House of DS and Night of DS.

ProfStokes

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Weekend 2004
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 03:59:33 AM »
This is great.  I LOVE reading your accounts - they're so interesting, detailed and well-written.  My favorite info is the Karlen/Scott appearance and their banter back and forth.  I wish there were more "personal, deep", whatever, questions.  Some of the cast are uncomfortable with it but John obviously isn't.

I'm really looking forward to your next account.  I missed quite a bit of stuff on Sat. and Sun. in particular.

Wonderful job, ProfStokes!

love
CLC

PS  By the way, I've been curious as to what the play on Sunday was like and how it went.  I haven't seen any posts about it.  ALSO, the program listed David Selby after it as a special guest or something.  Was curious as to what he did, what went on, etc.

If anybody could post a thread about Sunday afternoon, I'd be really interested in peoples' opinions, impressions, etc.

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 06:59:17 AM »
Professor Stokes,

As always, your account of events makes me feel as if I were there!  (And hopefully one of these years I'll actually be able to attend another festival -- I mean "weekend").  Need to print this out to read at greater leisure ... And thank you, dear professor, for the advance scoop on "The House," which you so thoughfully remembered I had so wanted to see ... and which I'm sure you'll be posting here in the near future.

Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:09:28 AM »
P.S.  Fascinating to learn these details about LP's upcoming DS novel.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 08:14:05 AM »
What a fantastic fest report ProfStokes!!  I love reading your accounts of the weekend.  With all of the rushing around and trying to see everything there still was some parts that I missed, so this is really great to read.

Thank you!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Saturday, August 14
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:19:26 AM »
Saturday, August 14:

I woke up fairly early on Saturday morning (considering that I'd been up late visiting with friends the night before.)  I quickly got ready and went downstairs to see who else I could find to chat with.  While walking through the lobby, a man stopped me and asked if there was a Dark Shadows meeting going on at the hotel (he must have seen people walking around with their programs, badges, and T-shirts.)  I told him a little bit about the Festival--how the actors were available for autographs and Q&A's--and he became very excited.  He introduced himself as Orville and said he was from the Caribbean--and that he used to watch DS on TV in the 1980's.  "I know it was on in the ¢â‚¬Ëœ70's--we get everything much later than you get it in the US--but I used to watch it all the time.  It's very big in the Caribbean. Everyone watches Dark Shadows."  Now, I've always heard that DS was broadcast internationally, but this was the first time I'd ever met anyone from abroad (other than England) who knew the show and I was excited to learn just how internationally famous DS really is.  Orville described some of the characters and I showed him my program. He recognized Barnabas and Angelique and I told him that Lara Parker was at the Festival and that he could get a day's admission if he wanted to attend the events.  He seemed very eager to do just that but I didn't see him for the rest of the day.  Did anyone else meet Orville from the Caribbean?  I hope he got to check out some of the events. 

Saturday's events kicked off with a screening of various videos--TV interviews with the DS cast, a "King of Queens" episode where one of the characters wanted to go to a DS Fest, fan videos such as Baby Dark Shadows and (for the first time in many years) the brilliant Cheep Productions (full length parody episodes of DS, complete with recreated sets and bloopers.)  While the videos played, the Collinsport Players rehearsed for the day's two skits.

This was only my second time working with the Players.  I'd always admired their work from the audience, but observing them in rehearsals was a real blast too.  These are very talented and dedicated people and I'm not sure why they hired me because they are light-years ahead of me in terms of craft and ingenuity.  I just wish I had the time and the room to detail all of the ad-libbing and brainstorming that went into shaping the skits.  I've worked backstage on a couple of community theater productions before, and I enjoy watching the rehearsal process--the genesis of the play--more than I enjoy seeing the finished product.  So it was with these skits.  I had received my scripts about a month before the Fest, but I didn't know who was playing which parts, so to finally have everyone assembled and working together was great fun.  We worked for about two hours, reading and blocking the first skit and then we were able to take a break when the ¢â‚¬Ëœlive' events began, so I got to see the last part of KLS's talk and the beginning of Jamison Selby's.

Kathryn Leigh Scott was discussing her DS Memories book-on-CD when I sat down.   "I have a new CD out.  It feels strange to say that.  Pop stars say ¢â‚¬ËœI just released a new CD.'  This is my first, but here it is!"  Next someone inquired about her book The Bunny Years, so she told us what inspired her to undertake that project.  Kathryn had worked alongside Gloria Steinem as a bunny at the Playboy Club.  Later, in her feminist literature, Steinem said some disparaging things about the club and the women who worked there.  "I felt offended by her remarks," Kathryn explained.  "I felt like she was putting us all down--she didn't get what being a bunny was really all about.  So, with fire in my belly, I sat down to write my own book as a rebuttal to her."  Kathryn also discussed her work on Star Trek: The Next Generation in the episode "Who Watches the Watchers."  "I was walking around the set with all this green make-up on my face, but people recognized my voice.  They remembered me from DS.  The people on the set would ask, ¢â‚¬ËœAren't you--Didn't you used to be¢â‚¬¦Were you ever on a show called¢â‚¬¦.Dark Shadows?"  Someone asked why Kathryn had originally worn a short blonde wig while playing Maggie.  "I had first tried out for the part of Victoria Winters," she explained.  "With my long, dark hair, the producers were afraid people might confuse me with Alexandra Moltke, who also had long, dark hair, so they made me wear the wig. I wore it for the first few weeks even during rehearsals, and then one day Dan Curtis saw me rehearsing without it.  He wanted to know, ¢â‚¬ËœWhy are you wearing a wig?' He thought my natural hair looked good, so he said I should leave it as it was.  Lela Swift was in a panic.  She said, ¢â‚¬ËœDan, we can't let her go on camera with dark hair when she was blonde the day before.'  Dan replied, ¢â‚¬ËœOh, the audience will never notice.'"  We all had a good laugh about that.

Jamison Selby came onstage next to discuss the Return to Collinwood play that he wrote last year.  (The CD is now available for $20.  A limited number of bound scripts were also for sale at the Fest for $15, but I understand that those sold out.)  The first question was, "How has DS affected your life and what are your earliest memories of the show?"  "Well, obviously my name came from the show.  My dad said he always liked the name "Jamie" so he chose the name Jamison.  Teachers always asked me why I spelled Jamison with an ¢â‚¬ËœI' instead of an ¢â‚¬ËœE'.  I didn't want to have to go through the whole explanation of how my dad used to work on this show about vampires.  Now, my earliest memories¢â‚¬¦I can remember people from the show coming over to our apartment. I didn't know who they were at the time.  I didn't know that they were from DS.  I guess my earliest memory is of John Karlen walking around shouting."  The next fan wanted to know what Dan Curtis's reaction was to the radio drama.  "I don't know.  We sent him a copy of the CD, but I don't think he's heard it yet.  Jim (Pierson) and I have listened to it over and over, making sure it sounds all right¢â‚¬¦"  Another fan asked if the recording on the CD was the same production that was seen at the Fest last year and the same as the text in the script or if any additional scenes had been added.  "There might be some small adjustments--we combined a couple of lines and deleted a couple of other lines to make it flow more smoothly, but essentially it's the same as the script and what was performed onstage."  Jamison was asked if there would be a sequel to the play.  "That depends on all of you.  If this CD sells well, there may be a sequel.  How many people want a sequel?"  I think every hand went up.  Someone asked whether future radio dramas would include voice artists playing Julia, Roger, or some of the other characters whose actors are no longer with us.   "No," Jamison answered.  "We wanted to do a play that would show where the characters would really be now and what they would actually be doing today.  It wasn't possible to use the Mrs. Johnson character, for instance, but DS needed a creepy housekeeper, so we created a role for Donna Wandrey."  He added that it had been Donna's own idea to play the part with a British accent.  "We all loved it and thought it was great."  Jamison started to answer another question about how much research he'd had to do prior to writing the radio play (watching the episodes, studying the characters, etc.) but at that point I left the room to get into costume for our first skit so I missed his full response.  (I gather that Jim Pierson provided a lot of background information--maybe somebody else heard the rest of the Q&A and can chime in?)

According to the schedule in the program, the charity auction was supposed to start at 2:00 after Jamison Selby's Q&A, but instead the Collinsport Players presented their first skit, "My Fair Julia."  In this play, Carolyn pretties up Julia to impress Barnabas and takes her to the Blue Whale for a wild girls' night out.  Unfortunately, Julia drinks too much, gets too wild, and embarrasses herself in front of Barnabas.  Touched that she went to such great lengths for him, Barnabas romances Julia and they go off to the Old House together for some¢â‚¬¦recreation; also, Carolyn rides off with Buzz Hackett and Roger and Mrs. Johnson pair up.  2004 marks the 20th Anniversary of the Collinsport Players.  Commemorative programs featuring biographies of this year's cast were distributed prior to the performance.  Jim Pierson and Richard Halpern even made announcements prior to the skit honoring the anniversary.  Clearly this show was a big deal as it continued the long tradition of skits. Unfortunately, it was marred by a series of technical difficulties.  The highlight of the skit was to be a musical number ("Popular" from Wicked) that Carolyn (Peter Mac) sings to Julia (John Schaefer) and Mrs. Johnson (Eileen Lynch-Farrar) while giving them make-overs.  However, when it came time to play the music, nothing happened.  We were told that the tape was blank!  (A ridiculous statement, since we had been playing the tape during rehearsals.)  I couldn't believe what was happening at the time and I felt terribly for Peter and John, knowing how diligently they had rehearsed for the show over the last day and a half.  It was a terribly tense few moments--silence onstage, restlessness in the audience--while we waited for the sound to come back.  I know that if I had been the one onstage when all of these problems were occurring, I would have felt so awkward and tongue tied, but they handled the whole business very professionally, joking and ad-libbing ("Carolyn, did my husband write this episode?"  "I don't know, but I think Alexandra is running the sound booth.") while they waited for the music to start.  When we all realized that the tape was not going to play (we later learned that it had had jammed in the tape deck) I hoped that Peter would sing a capella, but instead he chose to skip the musical number and the play resumed with a scene between Barnabas (Walter Down) and Roger (Jay Keaveny) at the Blue Whale.  There was a lot of scrambling--some lines were dropped, entrances and exits rearranged--but we finished the show to the best of our ability.  The audience seemed to like it and they were very understanding about the technical difficulties (now I know exactly what the DS actors had to deal with!)  I think that the show we performed was good, but the show for which we rehearsed would have been better.  I feel frustrated and disappointed that the audience was not able to see the skit in its entirety and as originally conceived.

Once the first skit was behind us, I decided to get something to eat.  Because I went out for food, I missed the first of the charity auctions (hosted by Denise Nickerson.)  Maybe somebody else can fill in what items were available for bidding.  I had a salad-to-go in the lobby and talked with LorraineAAB and mscbryk before the Night of DS lost footage presentation began (I wanted to make sure to get a seat for that, since I missed it the last time it ran in Anaheim.)

Darren first made the exciting announcement that a longer print of House of DS was released in Japan and that he was focusing his efforts on getting it.  Everyone applauded to learn of this new development.  Next, Darren explained that the footage he was about to show us was in black and white and had no sound, but that he would preface each piece of footage with a description of what was taking place and where in the movie the scene belonged.  He had brought about 25 minutes of lost footage with him.  A total of 40 minutes was deleted from the movie shortly before its release in an attempt to meet MGM's demands for a shorter film.  This left the plot of Night of DS relatively incomprehensible and muddied the continuity.  As an example, Darren cited a notorious blooper where Quentin falls asleep wearing one pair of pajamas, has a nightmare, and awakens in a different set of PJs.  In fact, this happened because two separate scenes from two separate dreams on two separate nights were edited together in the final cut.  He began to play the lost footage with Bob Cobert's soundtrack playing in the background in lieu of dialogue.  The scenes included some gorgeous, establishing shots of Quentin riding a horse on the Lyndhurst estate, Tracy comforting Quentin after one of his nightmares, Quentin discovering a sketch that Charles had made of Angelique, Quentin and Alex walking and talking about the recent bizarre events, Claire cowering in a corner after Gerard had harassed her and Tracy, and (one of the longest and most important blocks of footage) a flashback of Angelique and Charles flirting at the piano while Charles's wife Laura looks on.  Some of these scenes were so integral to the meaning of the film that I have to wonder what the studio executives were smoking when they ordered the footage to be deleted.

To my chagrin, Jim Pierson popped in and informed Darren that Nancy Barrett was scheduled to perform at a certain time and that the NoDS presentation needed to be sped up.  Darren suspended showing the extra footage and went directly into the Q&A with Diana Millay, Lara Parker, John Karlen, and David Selby.  Johnny demanded to know where Nancy Barrett was and was told that she was still rehearsing for her cabaret.  The actors then briefly commented on their memories of Lyndhurst.  Diana mentioned that she had spent a night in the tower room and had a frightening experience that she would discuss with us the next day.  Lara also commented on the small size of the tower room.  "Can you imagine trying to cram David Selby, me, and a bunch of movie cameras into that little space?"  She also joked about being hanged in the tree in back of the house.  "I think that scene of you hanging was the best one in the whole movie," David said.  Lara glared at him and he quickly elaborated.  "I mean, cinematically, it was a great scene.  It was filmed very well. It should have been made into a poster."  John remarked that he had visited Lyndhurst just a couple of days earlier and he didn't even recognize the place.  "I didn't know where I was," he said.  However, he did share his favorite memory of making the film.  "I like to watch the movie so I can see myself riding a bicycle.  I never knew how to ride a bicycle before.  I had to learn for the movie, and if you watch real closely, you can tell that I'm not very good at it.  I haven't ridden a bike since, but I just like to see myself riding in the movie.  Then I know it really happened."

Next, people from the audience were invited to ask questions.  Someone asked if an alternate ending had been filmed for the movie; the answer was no.  Another fan commented on the language in the movie.  "There's a scene where John Karlen's character Alex refers to Gerard Stiles as an SOB. That really shocked me.  I think that was the first time I'd ever heard that phrase used in a movie.  Is that how it was written in the script?"  "I think so.  They were just writing that script as they went along," Karlen confided.  "I don't think they knew what they were doing.  It was a really bad script." (Editorial: I've read the full script in KLS's DS Movie Book, and I don't think it's bad at all.  As it reads in its entirety, Night of DS is very suspenseful and well-paced.  It wouldn't have won an Oscar, but it's not Ed Wood or Roger Corman.)  "This movie was doomed from the start," Karlen claimed, "because it didn't have Jonathan Frid.  He was supposed to be in the sequel.  They'd written a script for the second movie, but then he didn't want to be in it, so they had to throw together this ghost story at the last minute."  Someone else wanted to know if Angelique in the film really had some sort of powers, or if she was just a ghost.  "No, I played a totally different Angelique in the movie than the one on the show.  I was not a witch, I was a ghost," Lara explained.  She added that Night of DS was supposed to be her vehicle--Dan was going to make it up to her for not putting her in House of DS by making her the star of this movie--but her role was diminished, especially by the editing.  Lara was asked if she could describe how the overlapping scenes of her ghost floating over the other cast members were filmed, but she couldn't remember.  Another person asked about the Carlotta character.  "Grayson Hall's character in the present is the same as the little girl in the 1810 flashback, right?  Wouldn't that make her over 100 years old?"  Lara explained that Carlotta was a reincarnation of the child in the past.  "Have you found someone yet to dub Grayson Hall's voice?" a fan asked.  Darren admitted that nobody has been selected yet.  "That's going to be so hard to do," Selby remarked.  You just can't replace these people.  You'll never be able to find another Thayer David (my thoughts exactly, David) or Grayson Hall."  Another fan mentioned how eager he was to see the (restored) movies on DVD.  "I know that you've said Warner Bros. isn't interested in putting the movies on DVD anytime soon, but is it possible that we could pre-order them?  Maybe if they see how much interest there is in these movies, it will motivate the studio to release them on DVD."  Darren said he would inquire into this possibility. Another fan had a question about a picture in the movie calendars that we'd been given.  "Did you have any mules in the movie in addition to the horses?  There's a picture of Kate Jackson on a mule." (November)  "There were no mules on the set," Lara said.  "But this animal in the picture has long ears like a mule," the fan insisted.  "They're too long to belong to a horse."  "Well, our budget was so low when we made that film, maybe it really was a mule and they dressed it up as a horse," David joked.  "I've never had very good luck riding horses," he admitted.  While filming another production that required him to ride a horse, the horse had gotten away from him and stepped on his foot.  "It smashed my big toe," Selby explained.  "To this day, my toe is flat."  John Karlen tried to persuade Selby to take off his shoe and show us, but he refused.  The actors mentioned various mishaps on the movie set.  Diana Millay recalled the live electrical wires that jumped and crackled in the water at the pool house, and John Karlen remembered how perilous the greenhouse was.  David Selby remembered the scene in which Gerard falls from a railroad trestle.  "We had a stuntman to do the actual fall, but the rope holding him was the wrong length and when he fell off the trestle, he hit his head against the side."  John Karlen told us how another of the movie's stuntmen, Alex Stevens, (who also played the werewolf on DS) actually crashed a car into a tree while Curtis was filming a car chase.  "Alex broke both his legs in that crash, but Dan told the cameramen to keep rolling, to film everything.  Finally, we got Alex to a hospital; he was in a lot of pain.  I think it was right after that he started taking morphine.  I saw him years later; he was a broken man, an addict.  If you ever want to see some of his best work, see his movies before Night of DS."   

The Q&A session concluded and the actors left the stage, but various clips of the film (including the famous and fantastic seance) continued to run while the stage crew set up the lighting and sound for Nancy's cabaret show. Then, the doors were closed; those who wanted to see the show had to come inside and stay inside.  I had never seen her perform before, so I was very excited about it.  Nancy started out talking about her childhood ambition to be an actress (singing "In My Little Corner" from Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella,) the glamorous but intimidating NYC, and the discouraging pattern of auditions and rejections she endured until finally striking gold with Dark Shadows.  She performed a parody of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" with lyrics that fit Carolyn Stoddard's life that was very funny.  She also sang a medley of songs in character as Millicent Collins, Charity Trask, Pansy Faye, and her 1995 alter-ego Carolyn Fredericks.  I didn't recognize all of the tunes, so I can't say which they were or what shows they came from.  I know that Charity's song was "Follow the Fold" from Guys and Dolls, aged Carolyn's song was about vodka, and Millicent's was about getting married.  Undoubtedly, the highlight of the act was when Nancy tapped and sang to "Razzle Dazzle" from Chicago.  I thought she did a wonderful job of easing from character to character and I enjoyed her show very much.

Immediately after Nancy's cabaret act, the Collinsport Players rushed to the rehearsal room to practice for the night skit, "Scooby-Doo and Barnabas Too," set to go on in just a couple of hours.  This was the most elaborate of the skits in terms of dialogue, blocking, music cues, and costumes, so it needed a lot of preparation.  As it happened, there wasn't enough time for several thorough rehearsals so we ended up doing a "staged reading" of the play, meaning that although we would be using costumes, props, and blocking, we would also be using our scripts.

In "Scooby-Doo and Barnabas Too" the Mystery, Inc. van crashes outside of the great estate on the hill and the gang gets Elizabeth's permission to stay at Collinwood for the night.  It won't be a quiet stay though, for some recent mysterious happenings--the discovery of an empty coffin in the Collins mausoleum, attacks on several young girls after dark--indicate that the legendary Barnabas Collins, an alleged vampire, has returned from the grave to find his lost Josette and the Collins family jewels.  Scooby and co. investigate, discover various clues, and ultimately reveal the vampire to be Jason Maguire.  A former employee of the Collins cannery, Jason seeks revenge against the family for firing him as well as the chance to rejuvenate his bankrupt brewery with the Collins fortune.  This skit seemed to be particularly popular with the audience.  Walter Down and Richard Halpern perfectly imitated the voices and mannerisms of Shaggy and Scooby.  The only snag was that someone neglected to turn off the blue screen projector before we went onstage, so in the video footage of the skit, I'm afraid we look more like the Smurfs than the Scooby gang. :P   

After we took a few cast photos, I had to make a quick costume change and get back into line for the costume gala.  We had a small, but innovative group of participants this year.  I was surprised not to see any Josettes or Pansy Fayes.  A little girl playing Sarah recited her riddle about the hidden room; Angelique had an amusing exchange with the ghost of Jeremiah; David Block acted out a scene between Gabriel and Daniel Collins; Charles Ellis played Charnak the Great, a take-off of Johnny Carson's Great Karnak character, and psychically discerned various jokes about the DS characters; a man dressed as the Creature (Adam) sang a poignant song about the unfairness of the world; a woman portraying Angelique did a little dance; Toni/Quentin'sGal and Diane/deckert/adamsgirl acted out an original scene where Maggie confronts vampire Angelique about Joe; an e-mail buddy of mine shared her top 14 list of signs that you're a DS addict; I sang a song parody about Vicki to the tune of Toni Basil's "Mickey"; Michael Culhane's Nicholas Blair warned that first-time attendees would need to return again and again and that the Collinsport Players would need to play on for 20 more years in order to avoid his curse; Eileen Lynch-Farrar of the Collinsport Players performed a song parody of "Camelot" about life in Collinsport; several newcomers who had thought they were going to a costume party where everyone would be dressed up apologized for not having a skit prepared, and showed off their outfits; and finally, Peter Mac and John Schaefer of the Collinsport Players announced that they had discovered lost footage from the afternoon's skit and were able to perform the musical number "Popular" that had been skipped earlier.  I was glad that the audience was finally able to see this act, knowing how hard the actors had prepared for it.

For the rest of the night, I socialized with various friends right through the early hours of the morning before finally retiring in preparation for the final day of events.

(To be continued)

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 07:33:28 AM »
Oh, ProfStokes - you're amazing, as always!!  I can never get over your detailed accounts.  How do you remember everything?!!  And the time it must take you to put it in writing.

There were lots of fascinating bits of information here, too many to comment on.

One little detail that seemed odd, though, was your mentioning of the alphabetized registration.  Unless they knew there were a lot of A-Gs, that seemed a rather strange way of dividing it!!
Josette

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 12:41:43 PM »
Hi ProfStokes thank-you so very much for telling us
all about the DS FEST.  You're notes were excellent
as always.   ( Hope to meet you someday soon at
the next one)       Love Anne
:-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 11:18:44 PM »
Next, Lara Parker came onstage. <snip>  LdyAnne also asked Lara about her recent online short story, "Her Robert Blake" and how much of it was inspired by Lara's actual guest stint on "Barretta".  At this, Lara laughed and laughed.  Not her famous Angelique chuckle--she was asked to do that later--but bemused, embarrassed laughter.  "Oh, boy¢â‚¬¦I didn't know anybody had read that¢â‚¬¦I made it up, none of it really happened.  It's called ¢â‚¬Ëœfiction'." 

Thanks ProfStokes for mentioning me in your report. May I say what a pleasure it was to meet you after spending so much time chatting with you. To all who missed the fest or the good Prof's performance let me just say it was one of the highlights. Her "Vickie" sung to Mickey was inspired and funny. It is the true reason the fest are so much fun for me. That we love the show but don't take it too seriously.

A bit of back gound to this question is that I tried to get the friend I was sitting with to ask this question because I really didn't want to get up in front of everyone.

Later that day I was in line at Lara's table to get a printout of the story signed. While in line I felt she was pointing at me  8)(paranoid?) and talking to the gentleman who was sitting with her at the table. When I arived at the table and presented the article she said "so you were the one." She showed it to the man and pointed out one part, assuming it was one of the more graphic sections, the man said he was going to keep it to read later. He was joking and she graciously signed the article and a picture I had of Lara and myself taken at last years Fest. I told her how much I am looking forward to her next book.  :D

LdyAnne

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 06:56:54 AM »
LdyAnne i thought it was a great ? as i wanted to know if it was true after i read it.
after all she did write about a real person(who is in a bit of trouble now!)
and was on his show i'm glad she signed it for you what a treat!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 07:06:38 PM »
The author strikes a stunning pose.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »
Great reporting, Prof Stokes!  It's very unusual for a Professor to have such sklll in transcribing conference proceedings *smile*

I look forward to your account of the actors presentation of "The House."  I have seen very little about it.

You look diVOON in your ensemble!  I can just hear Carson on "Queer Eye" raving about your glamorous self!

best, G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 10:31:20 PM »
Very pretty Gown ProStokes you goregous!
            Love Anne :-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 12:27:57 AM »
Sunday morning started with more videos, specifically "Save Our Cemetery" by Cheep Productions.  In my opinion, this is the funniest and most elaborate of the CP videos.  Barnabas and Julia (both played by Darryl Schaffer) summon the deceased Jeremiah Collins, Dave Woodard, and Sam Evans to defeat a ruthless construction company from demolishing Eagle Hill Cemetery (maybe in order to build the Wal-Mart that Devlin was talking about.)  Ultimately, the ghost of Sarah, played by an adult Sharon Smyth (Lentz), saves the day--er, night.  At this time, I was also pleased to meet CastleBee, who was volunteering.  I stepped out for a while to talk to some friends and when I came back, Marie Wallace was onstage.

Marie's big news is that she is writing her memoirs, On Stage and in the Shadows, to be released in 2005.  A fan asked her to tell us the story of how she auditioned for DS.  "There were three women--a blonde, a brunette, and me with my red hair.  The other two both had long, straight hair; they looked like they could play vampires or ghosts.  None of us had a very clear idea of what the show was looking for.  I tried to think of a way to make myself stand out.  When we all got called back, I decided to stand back and let the other two go first so I could watch them and decide how to play my audition.  The blonde girl went up first.  I think she was taken aback by the sort of directions she was given; she wasn't prepared.  Then the next girl was called forward.  Meanwhile, I had stepped off to the side to tease up my hair--not like crazy Jenny, just enough to make it real big and full.  By the time I had to go on camera, I had figured out exactly what to do."  She described how she had put on her sexiest airs for the camera.  "I've been told that Dan Curtis was in the sound booth, watching.  When he saw me he threw his script up in the air and yelled, ¢â‚¬ËœHire her!'" Another fan asked her about working with Joel Crothers and she repeated the story she had told on Friday of working with him both before (in a teleplay) and after DS (on Somerset).   Marie talked about her role on Somerset.  "I played India Delaney--you can tell she was a bad girl just by the name.  Nice, sweet girls, the ingenues, have names like Mary-Jane, but an India is a different story.  I was so bad that I even testified against my own husband (on the show) at his murder trial.  Later on, my character became a bit nicer.  That's a bad sign.  When the villains go soft, it means they're getting ready to replace you."  Someone requested that Marie tell us about working with Gwen Verdon on stage.  "Gwen was very personable.  She'd gotten her start as a chorus girl and so she took a personal interest in our lives and how we were doing."  She went on to describe some of the elaborate musical numbers of the show.  "There was one large number where all of the girls were supposed to form a Christmas tree.  We wore strategically cut costumes so that when we were all assembled, we would look like ornaments on the tree.  Money became tight, and several such scenes needed to be cut."  Marie also did seamstress work behind the scenes.  "One day, Gwen went into the city to find a dress for her costume.  She didn't find anything she liked, and when she came back, she asked if I would design a dress for her.  Gwen offered to pay me for making the dress but I told her not to bother, I was glad to do it.  One of the producers took me aside and told me, ¢â‚¬ËœGwen is a major shareholder in this production.  If she wants to pay you, let her.'  So I made the costume and later, when there was a revival of the production in London, I was pleased to see that they had copied my costume, not the original design."  Marie also remarked on how warm it was in the ballroom.  "Is anyone else hotter than I am?" she asked, cooling herself with a red fan.  "Marie," Richard Halpern told the lovely actress, "nobody is hotter than you are."

Toward the conclusion of Marie's talk, John Karlen approached the stage and started pounding away at the piano.  Marie laughed and pointed out that he had always liked to ad-lib.  As he came onstage to replace her, he climbed onto a chair located at the back of the stage--and tumbled off the stage!  I didn't actually see him fall; I was just aware that one moment he was onstage and the next minute he wasn't.  At first, I thought he was just clowning around.  After all, Marie had just reminded us all what a kidder he was.  But this was serious.  Everyone was stunned.  Poor Marie sat frozen in a half-turned pose.  Because Johnny had been behind her when he fell, I don't think she quite knew what had happened, even less so than we did.  This was one of the most harrowing moments I'd ever experienced at a Festival, rivaled only by the time in 2002 when an angry (and under-the-influence) fan went up to KLS while she was onstage and started shouting at her.  I had no idea what had happened; I was sitting at the other end of the stage.  I didn't know why Johnny had fallen or how badly he was hurt.  Several fans gathered around him.  Karlen's voice boomed out: "Who the *#$! put the ^$#%*(! chair too close to the ^$#%*(! edge?"  I was told by someone close enough to see him that he picked himself up without any help, and when he began walking around the stage, we all applauded.  It appeared that he was OK.  He did say that his leg hurt, but otherwise he seemed not to be injured.  He even faintly joked about his fall.  "There was one moment while I was falling when everything was OK.  Then I landed and it hurt."  Pointing in the audience to webby, who had taken a nasty spill the night before and was now in a splint and a wheelchair, John said, "See--I tried to join the club."  He did want to know who had left the chair by the edge.  "I'm not out to get anybody. I just want them to know what happened, so they don't let it happen again.  Someone could get hurt."  At this time, Marie, who must have been feeling pretty awkward after such a scene, made a break from the stage and left Johnny to do his Q&A.

Long-time Karlen fan MaineGirl was the first at the microphone.  After some light bantering with Johnny, she asked him to talk about his experiences at the AADA (American Academy of Dramatic Arts.)  That led to a lengthy and intriguing story.  "I was eloping with this girl, Judy.  She was Jewish and her parents didn't want her marrying a goyim like me, so we ran off.  Soon after we left, it occurred to me that I wasn't ready for marriage. I didn't have a job.  Also, I wanted to study to become an actor."  Judy was very understanding.  "She gave me the money to attend the Academy of Dramatic Arts.  Judy was a wonderful girl," he added warmly.  "She was the best."  "Did you ever pay her back?" joked someone in the audience.  "No, the money was a gift," Karlen insisted.  "That's the problem with the world today; everything is about money.  This set him off on a semi-political tirade.  "Greed.  Everyone is so greedy.  This war that's going on now--it's not about people dying in a third world country--it's about money, greed!  That's the way it's always been.  When people see a bum lying on the street, they don't help him.  He's still lying in the street.  They treat bums in India better than they do here in America.  Here, they're professional bums."  Moving on, another fan asked Johnny to tell the story of the time he met Muhammad Ali.  (Ah, so that's where Johnny learned to punch his director. ;) )  "I was walking down the street when I saw Muhammad Ali on the other side of the street with his body guards.  He spotted me and pointed at me.  This was about 1968, 1969, when DS was still on the air, so he must have recognized me as Willie Loomis.  I came over to him, and his bodyguards made a little circle around us.  Then Muhammad Ali shook my hand.  You can't imagine what a wonderful thing it was to meet a young and handsome Muhammad Ali in 1969 when he was in his prime."  Then Karlen started raving about how Ali had defeated Joe Frazier.  He even got into a friendly dispute with another fan over who was a better boxer for defeating Frazier--George Foreman or Muhammad Ali.  "Frazier was on his way down by the time George Foreman got to him," Johnny argued.  "Muhammad Ali had a much harder time trying to beat him because Frazier was still pretty strong when they fought."  Another fan asked Johnny to tell us about working with Basil Rathbone in a Kraft Theater TV production.  "Oh, man!  That was the highlight of my career-- just six months after starting at the acting academy, to have top billing over Basil Rathbone!  Everything from then on was downhill.  Basil was a great guy.  He told me all about working with Errol Flynn.  They were great friends and made six movies together."  "Tell us about your guest star appearance on All in the Family," one fan requested.  "What was Carrol O'Connor like?"  Karlen's memories were not happy ones.  "It was just a small part at the beginning of an episode, but I was disgusted with myself for being on that show.  After it was over, I took my lunch and went out to Long Beach where the oil rigs are.  As for Carrol O'Connor--he wasn't a very nice man.  He didn't have a whole lot to say to me.  Later, when he knew who I was, after I'd won the Emmy, he was nice to me."  Karlen was also asked again about Daughters of Darkness, and reminisced about that.  He praised his co-star Delphine Seyrig and shared a particularly interesting tidbit about the cast's accommodations: "We stayed at a fancy hotel in Germany that used to be Nazi headquarters."  Karlen was also asked to describe his experiences with the new DS, for he had visited the set of the WBDS pilot while it was in production.  "I met the people who were working on it. They were all so short!  The kid playing Willie was a real sweetheart.  What can I say?"  He trailed off. "They were all very nice, but¢â‚¬¦but they were¢â‚¬¦short."  Like Marie, he seemed less than enthusiastic about the production.

Denise Nickerson was scheduled for a Q&A next, but she failed to show up, so we watched a video interview with Chris Pennock instead.  He described how he came to be on DS.  "I first auditioned for the Chris Bernau part, Philip Todd, but Dan Curtis saw me and said, ¢â‚¬ËœLet's save him for the thing in the box!'  I didn't want to be a thing in a box; I wanted to act!  But the thing in the box turned out to be a very hammy Jeb Hawkes." This was a part that Chris was able to have fun with, in spite of how nerve-wracking it was to make a show like DS.  "When I started out, I was a cocky young actor.  I'd look at Jonathan Frid and think, ¢â‚¬ËœHa ha, he doesn't know his lines.'  But soon I realized just how difficult it really was.  I was so nervous on the set.  This was live taping.  You couldn't make a mistake because if they had to stop the cameras, it would cost five billion dollars and you'd get fired.  So even if you nearly sliced off Elizabeth Eis's head because the prop guy gave you the real sword instead of the fake one, (referring to a near-mishap that occurred when he was playing John Yeager in 1970 parallel time) you had to keep going.  Eventually, I got to be pretty good at using the teleprompters.  Years later, when I was working on Guiding Light, everything was so different.  I looked around and asked, ¢â‚¬ËœWhere are the teleprompters?!'  They told me, ¢â‚¬ËœWe don't use teleprompters anymore.  If you make a mistake, we'll just tape the scene again.'"  Chris also talked about his deceased co-stars.  "Michael Stroka was my best friend--" looking up "--Mike, I miss you so much.  He taught me the ropes of acting.  We'd go out to the Brittany for drinks after the show and he'd point out which girls were available." About Thayer David: "He was a brilliant actor, very talented, but he was so humble.  After taping a scene, he'd look at the director and ask, ¢â‚¬ËœWas that OK?'  I got to work with him on the film Savages, with Sam Waterson.  Thayer played Otto Nurder.  He was great in that, but he wasn't in good health.  He was diabetic, but everyday he'd bring two six-packs of soda to the set to drink."  Pennock had a unique memory of Grayson Hall.  "I was in make-up one day and she came up behind me and said, ¢â‚¬ËœHis eyes are too close together.  They should be spread farther apart for the camera.'  That really bothered me!  I don't know why, I mean, there was nothing I could do about it.  But I still remember that to this day."  As for his living co-stars, Pennock said he had the most fun working with Nancy Barrett.  "We were always giggling together about what was going on in the show."

Chris's video interview was followed by an interview with Geoffrey Scott (Sky Rumson) at which point I lost interest and stepped out.  I didn't think I had been gone very long, but by the time I came back, Diana Millay was already well into her Q&A session.  If she told her Lyndhurst ghost story, I missed it.  A fan asked Diana what she had thought of all the kids who lurked outside the studio doors for autographs.  "I was never a part of that," she replied.  "During my time on the show, I was always either pregnant or I had young children to take care of, so I was given permission to slip out a different exit.  I'd go out the side door and jump into a cab."  Diana spoke glowingly about being a mother.  "Raising children is more fulfilling than writing or acting.  If I could have, I would have devoted all my time to my children instead of working."  She also talked about her other passion: doing charity work in and around NYC.  "It's the most gratifying thing to be able to help other people and to give something back to the community.  Everybody should do it."

The charity auction began next and I left the room again.  (I understand that some of Michael Stroka's belongings were auctioned.  VAM acquired a bracelet of his.)  However, I did return in time for the suspenseful showdown over this year's top prize--Josette's music box from the 1991 series.  The bidding progressed at a normal rate until it reached about $500; then Nicky placed a bid.  A fan on the other side of the ballroom quickly topped this.  Nicky bid again and the other fan bid again.  The price of the music box rose to $600, $620, $650, $700.   "Let's see who loves Josette more," Jim teased.  As if anyone needed an extra incentive, he added, "I'll give Joanna Going's phone number to whoever wins.  I can't promise that it's her current number, but you can have it."  The bidding climbed higher and higher.  The final bid: $800.  "Going once, going twice, sold!" Jim announced.  The lucky buyer turned out to be Midnite (on whose behalf Nicky had been bidding.)  8)

After the excitement of the auction, Jim prepared to screen clips of the 2004 WBDS pilot.  I didn't care to see this, so I went outside and made some phone calls.  When I came back, Jim was speaking about the pilot.  According to him, this particular pilot is worthless.  Pierson cited PJ Hogan's directing as well as some casting choices that didn't work out, "and were not featured on this clip reel."  He also claimed that if the WBDS had been picked up, John Karlen would have played the recurring role of Sam Evans.  There may still be a chance of getting a new DS on TV sometime within the next few years.  Dan Curtis is still very interested in reviving DS in some form.  Now that Dracula has been made into a musical, he wants to try to get DS on Broadway too.  Jim also acknowledged Johnny Depp's remark that he would like to play Barnabas on film.  Jim wrapped up the pilot session and we prepared to watch the live dramatization of Art Wallace's Goodyear Theater teleplay The House, which had been billed all weekend as a pilot for the original DS.

The House was a real treat.  I thought it was well-written and well-acted. The plot is essentially a condensed version of the Jason-Liz blackmail storyline. Set in 1910, it begins with an aging sailor named Jeb Calloway (John Karlen) complaining to a former shipmate, Walt Cummings (Jamison Selby) that nobody will hire him to sail because they believe he's too old. Walt suggests that Jeb find someone to stake (sponsor) him, and Jeb recalls a wealthy woman in his hometown of Collinsville called Caroline¢â‚¬¦

The scene shifts to Caroline Barnes, (Marie Wallace) who is teaching piano to young Jane Stoddard (Denise Nickerson) while Jane's mother Martha (Lara Parker) looks on.  Caroline's daughter Elizabeth (KLS) is dating a nice young local boy, Larry, played by David Selby. (I believe I mistakenly referred to Selby's character as Frank elsewhere; I apologize for the confusion.) Larry wants to marry Liz, but she always puts him off with an excuse.  For one thing, she doesn't want to leave her reclusive mother alone in the big old house, and she knows that Caroline will never leave the house to move in with her and Larry.  In truth, Liz is reluctant to commit after seeing what marriage did to her mother. (This is the same problem that Carolyn experienced according to Wallace's Shadows on the Wall story bible.) Caroline's husband stole her jewelry 25 years ago, shortly after Liz was born, and left town. Since then, Caroline has never left the house; she is waiting for her husband to return. Jeb Calloway appears mysteriously, introducing himself as an old friend of Mr. Barnes (maybe his name was Frank.) Caroline is shocked and distraught to see him, but reluctantly agrees that Jeb can stay in her house while he is in town. Liz suspects that Jeb is really her father, returned under an alias.  Instead of feeling happy though, she is afraid. In truth, Jeb is Caroline's accomplice. We are told that 25 years ago, Caroline accidentally shot and killed her husband when she discovered that he was trying to run away with the family fortune. Jeb, who had been waiting outside the house for his friend, heard the shot, discovered the body, and offered to bury it in the basement.  Caroline gave him the jewels as payment with the understanding that she would never see Jeb again.  However, he has now returned. With plenty of charm and sarcastic humor, Jeb intimidates Caroline, even disrupting her piano lessons, and hints that he would like to live in the house permanently as her husband.  Caroline is anxious for Liz's sake. When Larry confronts her and accuses her of ruining Liz's life by living as a recluse and passing her own problems onto her commitment-shy daughter, (just as a drunken Joe did to Elizabeth on DS) Caroline makes a decision. She sends for the town constable (Jamison again) and tells him to dig in a particular area of the basement. She also tells Liz what really happened to her father.  The constable informs Caroline that he found nothing in the basement.  Jeb finally confesses that Caroline is no murderess; the bullet only grazed her husband and he soon regained consciousness.  Jeb conned Caroline out of the jewels, the two men split the loot, and Barnes later died at sea.  The constable is ready to press charges, but Caroline dissuades him.  Though she is angry at Jeb for condemning her to 25 years of a private hell, she is relieved to learn of her innocence and happy to be able to leave the house at last.

I felt that Karlen stole the show with an Irish brogue patterned after Dennis Patrick's.  Marie Wallace was also quite good as matriarch Caroline, and David Selby played Larry with an appealing boyishness.  Jim Pierson had a small part as a bartender. Richard Halpern played the narrator and read stage directions. Details of The House, from character names to plot points, are very similar to those found in Shadows on the Wall and those that eventually found their way onto DS.  It was a fun show and I was glad to have seen the genesis of DS. However, I did find it difficult to remember that in this story, Elizabeth is the daughter while Caroline is the mother.  On DS, the name roles were reversed.

After The House, Jim Pierson gave us instructions for the evening's banquet: tickets would be distributed at 5:00 and the banquet would begin at 7:00.  The actors would give autographs in the intervening hours.  Jim stepped down and David Selby gave a Q&A session.  He was asked about his audition process for the role of Quentin.  "I didn't really audition.  I went to Dan's office, picked up a few golf balls, and did a scene from Tennessee Williams' Summer and Smoke.  He gave me the part."  Another fan asked David whether he had felt frustrated waiting for his character to have a speaking part.  "Actually we were all nervous about what would happen when Quentin finally did speak.  It was like when Hollywood made the transition from silent pictures to talkies; some of the major actors couldn't cut it anymore."  Obviously, Quentin's popularity suffered no harm from David's voice.  Another fan stepped up to the microphone.  "On the series, you played four different characters named Quentin: which one was your favorite?"  Unhesitatingly, Selby replied, "The first one.  To me that character resembled Heathcliff very closely."  Selby praised Wuthering Heights and shared an anecdote told by an actress (IIRC, Joanne Woodward) who had attended the premiere of Gone With the Wind.  "Laurence Olivier had accompanied Vivien Leigh, and everyone else was calling to her, shouting, ¢â‚¬ËœScarlett!  Scarlett!'  But Joanne was calling, ¢â‚¬ËœHeathcliff, Heathcliff!'"  David was asked about what it was like to work on an escapist soap like DS in the middle of the socio-politically turbulent 1960's.  "The ¢â‚¬Ëœ60's were a strange and difficult time," David replied soberly.  "Not everyone made it through.  I can remember leaving the studio and seeing groups of protesters on the way home.  I suppose that DS did provide an escape from all of that."  Like his co-stars before him, David was asked about the WBDS and whether or not he was supposed to have been involved.  "At Dan Curtis's tribute I met Mark Verheiden.  He told me, ¢â‚¬ËœWe'd love to have you in a recurring role on our show!'  I said, ¢â‚¬ËœThat's nice.  Thank you.' One of the first rules of the business is never to turn down a potential role."  By the tone of his voice though, I didn't think that David was particularly excited about this potential role.  Pansity/Jeannie asked Selby what roles, on film or TV, he would have liked to play but didn't have the chance.  He cited the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter films.  "I really liked the wizard.  That would have been a fun part.  I would have liked to play Gandalf.  I prefer the Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter; I'm not sure why.  Although I did enjoy this latest Harry Potter film very much."  Selby was also asked about his recent commencement address to West Virginia University.  He had been a little apprehensive about what to write.  "I even researched some famous commencement addresses online before I started writing mine--but that only made me feel more self-conscious about it.  I did find some quotations that I liked, and was able to incorporate those."  The fan who had asked the question told Selby, "My sister read your speech when it was posted online and she loved it.  She said it was exactly what she had wanted to tell her son when he graduated, but she just didn't have the words to phrase it."  That cheered David.     

Periodically, I glanced at my watch, remembering the brutal banquet ticket lines of years past.  At 5:05, I ducked out of the ballroom and went to the ticket window.  I didn't see a line of people waiting; in fact I didn't see any kind of crowd, and my first thought was that the ticket distribution had been delayed.  I asked one of the Fest volunteers, "Is this where we pick up our banquet tickets?"  "Yes," he replied, "right here."  I was amazed and impressed; no line, no wait.  The entire process took about 30 seconds! :)  Quickly, I returned to the ballroom and told my friends that the window was open and the way was clear.  They went out and came back in about a minute!  Selby finished his talk and we all left the ballroom so that the hotel staff could clear it and set up the banquet tables.

The actual banquet line in no way resembled the nightmare queue of 2003.  A small loop of people stood off to the side door of the ballroom, waiting to be admitted.  We might have waited about half an hour, 40 minutes tops. :D  When the room was opened, nobody stampeded in search of a table; nobody had trouble finding a seat.  This year, I sat at table 26 instead of 59 (a much smaller crowd than last year attended this banquet).  For the first time, I knew everyone at the table. :D  Our souvenir was a silver bookmark with the DS logo stamped on it in blue (nice). 

Dinner started with a salad and a roll.  The main course was some form of breaded chicken (which I didn't finish,) rice, and vegetables.  I think dessert was ice cream.  Denise Nickerson raffled off door prizes (one of which was a DVD set 13 of DS--wow, pricey!)  From my table, CynD won a DS Resurrected book.  After the food had been cleared, we watched trailers of the various movies and commercials in which Dan Curtis or the DS actors had been involved: House of DS; Burnt Offerings; Come Spy with Me (Louis Edmonds); Tarzan and the Great River (Diana Millay); The Girl in Blue (David Selby); Father of the Bride (Joan Bennett); A Small Town in Texas (John Karlen); Night of DS; The Minx (Robert Rodan); Race with the Devil (Lara Parker); Daughters of Darkness (John Karlen); 1776 (Virginia Vestoff and David Ford); Zero to Sixty (Denise Nickerson); Up the Sandbox (David Selby); Up the Military (Chris Pennock); Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Denise Nickerson); War and Remembrance; Joe (Dennis Patrick). At my table, it became a kind of game to see who could spot the DS alumni first and figure out whose movie we were watching.  When the trailer clips ended, we were invited to pick up some old, surplus DS calendars on our way out.

From the banquet, we moved to one of the hotel bars where videographer Rich Blanco hooked his video camera to the bar's television set and played back footage from the weekend's events.  The first thing that everyone wanted to see was how John Karlen had fallen from the stage.  Looking at the video, we saw that Johnny had sat in the unlucky chair and tipped backward chair and all, finally landing on his back behind the stage.  Seeing it once was enough to satisfy my curiosity, but a number of people in the bar (you know who you are) insisted on seeing it again and again and again and again¢â‚¬¦  >:(  Failing to detect any amusement in repeatedly watching a 70-year-old man fall off a stage, I moved to another table out of sight of the TV and had a nice chat with LdyAnne instead.  Eventually, we were able to watch footage of the costume gala, the Collinsport Players' Scooby-Doo skit, and bits of Nancy Barrett's performance.  Those were all very enjoyable to see; the clarity of the picture was spectacular.  At last, at around 3:30AM when the last stragglers were leaving, I bid goodbye to Teresalita and DSFan1970, who were on their way to the airport for a red-eye flight, and retired for the night.

All in all the Festival/Weekend was a blast, a great opportunity to unwind and spend time with old friends.  I was also delighted to make some new friends and to finally meet face-to-face online friends like Gothick, dom, LdyAnne, CastleBee, Darren Gross, ClaudeNorth, Nancy, mscbryk, webby, deckert, Cassandra's mother, and CrazyJenny's fiance.  Plans for next year are up in the air.  At the banquet, KLS said that Jim is "open to doing something next year" and Jim himself invited us to give him suggestions for a location.  (From my table in the back, I was calling for California, but I'm afraid the Miami people might have drowned me out.  :- )  Festival 2006, which marks DS's 40th Anniversary, will be held in NY (meaning that I get to choose between going to this event or going to graduate school. :P )  Wherever they may be held, I'm thankful that the DS conventions are indeed continuing and I hope for many more years of Fests, friends, and fun. :)

ProfStokes

P.S.--Thanks for posting the photo, Midnite! 

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 05:15:17 AM »
What a great summation, Prof. Thanks for taking the time to put it all up there!

And those are great...shoes, by the way. ;)