Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0932  (Read 1194 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0932
« on: May 16, 2015, 03:52:11 AM »
Robservations #932

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0932

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
Emory Bass (Mr. Best) reads the opening voiceover, which concludes, "To save Amanda Harris from her meeting with death, Grant Douglas must regain his memory. And so two women take him an odd professor's workshop, in a last, desperate effort to break through his amnesia."

No wonder everyone reacts to the portrait with horror. Quentin's hard and selfish living have not marred his handsome face, but the portrait looks like at least 10,000 miles of bad road. He can't bring himself to do more than glance at the painting.

Outside the studio, Mr. Best comes for Amanda. She pleads for more time, but he checks his gold pocket watch.

Julia pushes the right button when she wonders if "Grant" is afraid. He finally takes a long, unflinching look--and remembers everything. But he's horrified when he realizes that Amanda saw the portrait too. He tells Julia he will always love Amanda, but when he goes outside the only trace of Amanda is the handkerchief she dropped while pleading with Mr. Best.

Mr. Best has brought Amanda back to the stopping-off place, which more than ever resembles an overfurnished hotel lobby, bathed in pink light. He tries to get her to see how pleasant it is. Like every hotel, it has a reception desk, complete with a ledger and a bell, which he rings before excusing himself. Amanda pleads with him not to leave her, but he has others to meet. Are you so afraid that you think even death a good companion? he asks. I am flattered. It has been so long since anyone asked me to stay. I must not give into human emotions. With a polite nod and a “Miss Harris,” he leaves by the door through which they came in. She runs to the door and pounds on it, screaming.

Amanda is still screaming when she hears someone laughing behind her. Every earthly hotel also has at least one bellboy, and Mr. Best’s stopping-off place is no different. A bellboy stands before Amanda now. He is dressed in a spotless white uniform with plenty of gleaming gold-braid trim and a white bellboy’s cap tilted to one side. (Played by Brian Sturdivant, he affects a Cockney accent, perhaps to complement Mr. Best’s “received” pronunciation.) He pranks her with a key, then suddenly remembers her from 70 or 80 years ago because she's one of the lucky ones whom Mr. Best let go. When she bursts into tears, he's actually a bit sympathetic, maybe because crying is one of those things he can't do anymore.

Quentin and Julia return to the hotel, but of course Amanda isn't there. Julia leaves after making Quentin angry. He picks up a letter opener, ready to slit his throat to join Amanda, when Mr. Best suddenly materializes behind him. Quentin demands to be with Amanda, and being Quentin, offers to make a bet on it. Mr. Best seems to know all about Count Petofi and everything else, so he's intrigued at the idea.

Mr. Best brings Quentin to his stopping-off place and once more fishes for compliments on the decor, but Quentin doesn't oblige him. You said you would bring Amanda to me so I can take her away, Quentin reminds him. Paying Quentin Collins the ultimate compliment, Mr. Best remarks, You don't think of yourself, do you? I like that. Look over there. Quentin looks, and at the other end of the lobby he sees a metal door remarkably like the I Ching door. He opens it, and we hear a sound as of rushing wind. A storm is brewing as Quentin looks beyond the door--into seeming emptiness. That is the way out, Mr. Best explains. It is seldom used, but my life is generally quite dull, and every now and then I like to amuse myself by giving someone who impresses me a chance to escape. It takes courage, but you have that. It also takes cunning--and that remains to be seen. Quentin wants to try. Mr. Best rings the bell, then lays out the rules: May I give you one ... one word of advice. If you touch her, or if she touches you, she is lost to you forever. If you, both of you, reach the outside world--and you can, though you may think not--but if you do, you will be together for eternity--whatever that means, he adds, then resumes his instructions: But if you touch her, she is lost, and if you lose your way, you will be too. I understand, Quentin says solemnly. Mr. Best gives him two lighted candles from the desk: Here are two candles. They are your only weapons. Sometimes I think I am too compassionate, he sighs. That is the way I am. Good luck, Mr. Collins. He leaves. (Unfortunately, this is Mr. Best’s last appearance.)

Quentin picks up the candles and returns to the metal door. As he gazes beyond it, he reminds  himself, We must not touch. He doesn’t realizes that Amanda has come up behind him. As she realizes who he is, she says his name, but he can’t hear her because of the thunder beyond the door. She moves nearer, her hand outstretched to touch him.......

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:02:56 AM »
Brian Sturdivant has only three acting credits listed on imdb (including four episodes on DS, this one and three upcoming ones as Claude North) all in 1970 and 1971. It's interesting how some careers take off and others never do. But it's kind of cool to at least have been on something that people are still watching almost a half century later - and still wondering whatever became of that person.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
Farewell, Grant Douglas!  Quentin sees his grotesque portrait and remembers, presumably from some connection with it, since no one there has ever seen it as it is now.  Amanda flees.  Q remembers, tries to find her, but Mr. Best has taken her.  (I'm not sure why "Grant" dressed up in a suit... to please the lady who gave it to him?)  Later, Best approaches Quentin.  "You live by courtesy of Count Petofi" he says, confirming some speculation here...  Near-LOL, DL, on Best fishing for compliments on the decor...

Back at the lobby to the afterlife, Amanda approaches Q at the door to limbo to touch him, end.

The bellboy was Claude North?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
Yup, MT, bellboy = Claude North.

Too bad about Brian Sturdivant. I thought he did a pretty good job with the one-note role of Claude North.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »
Was he the distressed mute ghost?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
No, dom. [spoiler]In 1970PT, Claude North thinks and talks about almost nothing except his ownership (what he thinks) of Roxanne.[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »
Thanx, DL. There probably even isn't a distressed mute (male) ghost, lol.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
Thanx, DL. There probably even isn't a distressed mute (male) ghost, lol.

Maybe that was the leisure-suited ghost Damian Edwards (?)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 04:38:01 AM »
You're probably right, Magnus! (Why, their names are almost identical, lol)