Author Topic: Rosemary's Baby and DS  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Rosemary's Baby and DS
« on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:55 PM »
For several years now, I've been meaning to rent and watch Rosemary's Baby.  The only time I ever saw the movie from start to finish was at a drive-in in 1968 with my folks.  I am sure they did not realize that the movie was not suitable for a 9 and 10 year old.  They probably expected us to just drop off to sleep but as a young DS fan I was, of course, riveted. For years afterwards, I had nightmares about the dream sequence in the movie.  It made a powerful impression upon me.

I finally got around to renting it this past weekend. There were a couple of bits that made me think of DS, notably the use of anagrams.  The most surprising resonance, however, was the due date for Rosemary's baby.  It was June 28, and the year was 1966.  Ring any bells?  btw, the baby wound up being born one day early.

I'm really NOT making this up, folks!

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Rosemary's Baby and DS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:28:49 PM »
Steve...I was about 10 the first time I saw Rosemary's Baby....brrr!!! I still cannot! watch the end of it!!

duh...is this June '66 date:
[spoiler]the date Barn first appears?[/spoiler]

Now, I don't see the spoiler tag up top...I don't know if the coding will work ???

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:57:42 PM »
Hey Patti, I was 10 too when I first saw RB.  believe it or not, this was my first viewing of the complete film since 1968.  I've seen bits of it on TV over the years, but never start to finish.

June 27, 1966 was, if memory serves, the date of the premiere of Dark Shadows.  I think it would have been sooo perfect if Patsy Kelly and Hope Summers had had lines about the new soap that's on starring Joan Bennett.  Ah well...

Steve

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 02:16:34 AM »
"rosemary's baby" is in the pantheon of my favorite three films ever, along with "who's afraid of virginia wolf" and "all about eve".
since you mention it, the film factored slightly in alexandra moltke's decision to leave the show.i found at the flea-market a book called the "dark shadows tribute" written by e.gross and j.van hise and published in 1990 by pioneer books inc.they interviewed ms.moltke for the book and when the subject of her departure was brought up she had this to say "....i was pregnant,and i had some very heavy things to do;...and i wasn't having an easy time with my pregnancy.so i had to get out,legally,from my contract,because they didn't seem to want to let me out.as a matter of fact, "rosemary's baby" had just come out at that time,and i was terrified that they'd want to keep me all the way through!" i'm sure she must have said that in jest, but the connections are there.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 02:43:16 AM »
Wasn't that a great movie!  The thing that was different too was that there wasn't a happy ending like what I had been used to and had always expected in a movie up to that point. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 05:09:01 AM »
"Rosemary's Baby" is one of the most sophisticated and artistic horror movies ever, if not the most.  IMO, it's the last GOOD horror movie.  At least, in my view, horror movies changed after that, going in for "Halloween" type slasher junk.  I'm sure there have been some other decent ones in recent years, maybe "The Sixth Sense" and "The Others," though I haven't seen them, but from what I've read they are derivative and not as original as "Rosemary's Baby," hence I wouldn't rank them on the same level ... "The Blair Witch Project" was certainly original, but I wouldn't care to see that one a second time, unlike "Rosemary's Baby," which continues to be interesting after multiple viewings.

Everything I've seen of Polanski's work is masterful and classic.

I guess "The Exorcist" and "The Omen" came out after Rosemary's Baby, but again, I don't find either one as good, althought the novel of "The Exorcist" is far superior to the shlocky written "Rosemary's Baby" -- RB being one instance where I think the film was better than the book.

As an aside, I was paging through the book "Big Lou" (when I finally received it shortly after placing a second order for it at amazon) and one of the first things to catch my eye was an error that surprised me.  The author names the charming British actor Maurice Evans (remember him from "Bewitched"?) as playing Roman, when of course he played Rosemary's older male friend and confidant.  I was rather surprised by the error.  Both actors gave superb performances in RB.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 07:16:28 AM »
I finally got around to renting it this past weekend. There were a couple of bits that made me think of DS, notably the use of anagrams.  The most surprising resonance, however, was the due date for Rosemary's baby.  It was June 28, and the year was 1966.  Ring any bells?  btw, the baby wound up being born one day early.

That's too freakin' EERIE...I love it!  LOL

You don't know how much I love that movie [[stifling a squeal]]. A definite favorite at our house.  ;)  I agree with what everyone's said -- it's one of the best Horror classics of all time. I first saw snippets of it when I was little (heck, I was a precocious kid...chuckle), but I didn't see the *uncut* version until much later...just a few years ago in fact (when we finally got TCM around these parts). Damn is that good... another film that gets better each time you see it.  ;)  Ruth Gordon is a RIOT in that (it's almost a running joke at my house--those herbally enhanced cakes and drinks she keeps making. I swear, it almost looks like a mixture of melted vanilla bean ice cream and ranch dressing. [sorry] LOL). And the DS parallels are neat to consider. I had to write a paper on a film recently, almost chose this one...ended up doing "Vertigo". Lotsa DS parallels there too... :)  :D  ;)

p.s. Great topics Gothick... :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 03:40:18 PM »
Vlad, have you seen Polanski's 90s Johnny Depp movie, The Ninth Gate?  Though not as good as RB, it was really quite fascinating and had a couple of scenes that were just as creative and witty as the work he did in the Sixties.

I completely agree with you about the decline of the horror film.  It's really quite tiresome to page through the IMDB reviews of RB and ponder the barely literate scrawlings of folks weaned on Michael Myers crap who just... don't ... get it.

Another one that is worth seeing is Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow.  I think it would have been much, much better if he had shown some restraint and cut some of the over-the-top Grand Guignol FX-ridden sequences involving the Headless Horseman, but, as a contemporary type movie with classic horror stylings, it's worth a look.  The ending really doesn't make sense though, the first time you watch, because of the manic pacing and the speeded-up exposition.

G.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 04:53:13 PM »
Vlad,

Although I can't guarantee that you will love it as much as I do, you should see "The Sixth Sense". I am not exactly an expert on the genre, but found SS to be very original and clever compared to many contemporary horror flicks, most of which I choose not to see once I realize that they are the same, tired and often sadistic slasher, mad killer type flicks that litter our movie houses.  "The Others" is also excellent, chilling and even had some philosophical depth to it. For instance, I read a rave review of this movie which rightly alludes to the many Catholic references in "The Others".  IMO these movies are really in the category of "thinking person's horror", which places them a cut above the rest of the gore fest.

Otherwise I agree with everyone else about the excellence of RB. Would you believe I saw it last year for the first time in its entirety?  I also have to admit to liking "The Omen" simply because it is genuinely frightening (the creepy score contributes much to this)...and it also stars the immortal Gregory Peck!

OT: I still have to see the rest of Salem's Lot. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 04:10:32 AM »
If "The Others" is what I think it is, both that and "Sixth Sense," while good throughout, have very interesting conclusions which caused me to rate the overall movie at a higher level than I might otherwise have.

It's been a long time since I saw "Rosemary" so I don't recall any details, but I remember an interview with Mia Farrow in which she said that a scene at the end (I think she was in a phone booth?) where she was quite hysterical, was the first thing she did in the film.  It does make one appreciate actors all the more when one thinks how it's necessary to just pull out the necessary emotion at the right moment without necessarily building up to it.

Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 06:48:40 AM »
I haven't heard of "The Ninth Gate" at all but will make a note of it ...

I should see "Sleepy Hollow", too; had mixed feelings about it from reading rather mixed reviews (I'm very selective in what movies I'll take the time to see in a theater) ... it does have a cool look though, and it would be fun to see Christopher Lee!

Happybat -- good to see you posting again!  I'll try to check out the two you refer to.  Too late, I forgot that "The Others" was airing on TNT tonight and missed it.  I had read that the surprise ending of "The Sixth Sense" has been done before, and that annoyed me a bit since it was being hailed as so original.  (Obviously I am very selective in what I'll see ...)  I wouldn't mind if the "borrowing" was acknowledged (but then again, what are they going to do, flash a notice on the screen that the ending was copied from some other movie?) ...

In case you missed it, there is a separate thread on "Salem's Lot" ... would be curious in hearing your comments.

Good point about the acting, Josette.

:)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »
The Ninth Gate didn't receive much favorable press, but I really liked it. Johnny Depp was typically excellent, and the mood is just right for those of us who find old and rare book interesting as hell. Frank Langella really hits the mark too. Give it a look.

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 03:36:56 AM »
Vlad, ...

Otherwise I agree with everyone else about the excellence of RB. Would you believe I saw it last year for the first time in its entirety?  I also have to admit to liking "The Omen" simply because it is genuinely frightening (the creepy score contributes much to this)...and it also stars the immortal Gregory Peck!

What more can be said about Rosemary's Baby. Visually it's one of the best of the best IMO. I know I'd be more cautious of my neighbors since seeing it.

I loved both Omen I and Omen II. Loved the storyline, the actors, the acting and they are truly frightening.  Omen III started out pretty good but I ended up disliking it immensely (and I'm a fan of Sam Neil's). I haven't even gotten interested enough to see Omen IV.

I agree with you that the Sixth Sense is one of the best to come out in a long time and I highly recommend it.  Bruce Willis was the surprise for me.  Who would've thought!  Of course the  boy, Haley Joel Osment was outstanding IMO.

The writers today can't write their way out of a paperbag.  The Ring was different and started out pretty good but as usual, I have a hard time liking the endings.  They lifted a few ideas from The Changeling (one of my all time favs) for The Ring.

I also like 'The Others' too with Nicole Kidman(sp) but not enough to see it again. I recently saw a movie that was recommended to me called 'The Other'.  It's from the 80s when the writing was still pretty good. The story involves two young boys in a small town that I believe in Indiana. What a shocker it is!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 05:32:02 AM »
I recently saw a movie that was recommended to me called 'The Other'.  It's from the 80s when the writing was still pretty good. The story involves two young boys in a small town that I believe in Indiana. What a shocker it is!

"The Other," from the novel by Tom Tryon, is excellent.  I don't know if it's available on VHS or DVD but don't think so.  It has aired a few times on AMC when they still showed movies without commercial interruption... is that where you saw it?  Sometimes they re-air fairly soon, in which case I would like to tape it again as I don't have mine with me here. Good performances by popular '70s actress Diana Mauldar (sp.) and the great acting teacher Uta Hagen.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 01:17:06 PM »
I've seen "The Other" twice...couldn't follow along.

(Actually, I had thought "The OtherS" was a re-make...guess I have to watch now!)

Thanks

Patti
What a Woman!