Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0915  (Read 502 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0915
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
Robservations #915

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0915

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
Michael now wants Barnabas to kill Julia.  Later we find out he's telling this separately to everyone.  That's rather disorganized.  Form a committee.  Have a meeting.  Murder it seems is a boundary that human slaves have trouble crossing.  What good are humans to them, then?

Michael Maitland's more of a preppy Leviathan, like a kid from a rich family who would go out with friends after dark and kick homeless people.  Barnabas has his vampire dream.  Was there ever a mirror at the bottom of his stairs before?   Go to the docks, and the doxies will be there.  No credit for actress.  When she approached Barnabas, I guess they used sentimental love music because they had no lust music!  Really inappropriate.  She says "I'd love to see the inside of your house", then as he puts the bite on her, I pictured her screaming, "I said house, not mouth!!!"  The Green Hornet visual effect gets Barnabas safely home.  NewVamp loves her vampire daddy. 

I believe this new Leviathan priest went too far in this, his first threat.  After all this, Barnabas still refuses to kill Julia.  So robed one is forced to backpedal in an embarrassing, obvious way, claiming that following that order wasn't so important, just general obedience.  This backing down should have told Barnabas that he has power, that they need him too much to take rash steps against him.   Barnabas should have used this. 

What, Levi guy, Julia's not beautiful?  Just struck me strange the way he complimented Josette's beauty in a way that seemed at J's expense...

Barnabas should also have learned that he has power when the robed one awkwardly and hastily dropped a solid threat, and substituted for it an unproveable threat, that he just has to take their word about.  The priest probably just made it up on the spot.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »
My notes say: During the original run of Dark Shadows, fans were upset to see Barnabas under the power of the Leviathans and apparently reverting to his former evil ways. This episode was taped on Christmas Eve, only a few days before it was shown and two weeks later than the episodes before and after it, in an attempt to explain why Barnabas was forced to obey the Leviathans

MT, that's Audrey the Leviathan Vampire, played by none other than Marsha Mason! This makes her the second (and last) Oscar-nominated actress (after GH) to appear on the show.

Love your description of Michael, MT. I suspect they told him to just act naturally too. He complains that Julia's mind is always working--a compliment if only he knew it.

In the dream that Adlar induces, Barn is bitten again. After he throws Megan out, he sees that he has no reflection. Adlar banishes Audrey into the shadows near Willie's door. After he threatens Josette and Barnabas capitulates, he says snidely, Julia Hoffman will understand. She is a very understanding woman--and Josette is a very beautiful one.

Barnabas awakes, now wearing his cape. All the candles are lit again. [Marsha Mason is still lurking behind the curtain!] He stands up and moves toward the foyer as he says within himself, Forgive me, Julia--dear friend. As he moves toward the door, we can see his reflection in the mirror......