Author Topic: Is There a Way to 1) see ... 2) delete ...  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Is There a Way to 1) see ... 2) delete ...
« on: May 31, 2004, 07:25:44 PM »
1) tell if a moderator is online?  It was always sort of comforting before to see anywhere from 1 to 3 moderators online.  And, in some cases, like when I was posting at 4 a.m., it was a relief to see that no one was there wondering what the heck I was doing posting at 4 a.m. ...  :D

2) how does one delete a post one has made -- e.g. I wasn't used to the way the new board works, and I thought my post hadn't been posted, so I re-posted it (with a couple of corrections)!  Maybe I should just ask Darren about this one ...  ;D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Is There a Way to 1) see ... 2) delete ...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 08:03:41 PM »
1) tell if a moderator is online?  It was always sort of comforting before to see anywhere from 1 to 3 moderators online.  And, in some cases, like when I was posting at 4 a.m., it was a relief to see that no one was there wondering what the heck I was doing posting at 4 a.m. ...  :D

For security reasons we remain hidden, but knowing that you find our presence somewhat comforting is much appreciated. :)  You can still see if there are hidden members under Users Online on the home page, same as before, and please rest assured that moderator visits are spread out to cover the forums as much as possible.

2) how does one delete a post one has made -- e.g. I wasn't used to the way the new board works, and I thought my post hadn't been posted, so I re-posted it (with a couple of corrections)!  Maybe I should just ask Darren about this one ...  ;D

LOL (ouch! ;)).  I completely understand that this version requires some time to get used to.  :D

Cousins have never have the ability to delete posts.  If you mean modify (edit) them, that works the same as before except that edits must be made within 90 seconds after a post is submitted.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 08:04:53 PM »
1) tell if a moderator is online?

Not at the moment. But rest assured that at least one of us is never gone for long. ;)

2) how does one delete a post one has made

One doesn't. It's always been a case that only admins/mods are allowed to delete posts.

I wasn't used to the way the new board works, and I thought my post hadn't been posted, so I re-posted it (with a couple of corrections)!

I forgot to mention that on this new system there's a time limit on edits. On YaBB SE people could go back to their posts hours or even days after making them and change them. However, this system has only a 90 second "courtesy edit" window of opportunity to make changes to a post. The 90 seconds is counted from the time you originally made the post or the time of your last edit. So, the best thing to do is organize your thoughts before writing, be sure to preview what you've written before posting it to hopefully catch any typos, syntax erros, etc., and be sure to reread what you've written after posting to catch anything you might want to change before the editing time limit expires. But if that happens simply make a new post to add any new thoughts to an already existing post.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 08:12:46 PM »
What a shock that we'd both be replying at the same time.  ;)

But a full minute apart? (12:03 and 12:04)... we're slipping.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 08:21:32 PM »
But a full minute apart? (12:03 and 12:04)... we're slipping.  ;)

That's only because my reply was slightly longer.  :D

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 04:10:34 AM »
Is there any chance that the 90 seconds for edits could be extended to 2 - 3 minutes?  I always check my posts immediately, and occasionally come up with a bad typo or grammatical error and correct it immediately.  But, depending on the size of the post, it might be more than 90 seconds!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 06:14:45 AM »
Is there any chance that the 90 seconds for edits could be extended to 2 - 3 minutes?

Well, as I said, from the admins/mods' perspective, this new system is a radical change from YaBB SE. In a lot of respects we're still deep in the learning process. But when I get the chance, I'll try to look into it...

But as I also said, the best thing to do is to read over your posts very carefully before posting them.  ;)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 08:06:47 AM »

But as I also said, the best thing to do is to read over your posts very carefully before posting them.  ;)

I always do, but I'm amazed, somehow things will still sometimes end up wrong when I re-read the actual post!! :)
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »
somehow things will still sometimes end up wrong when I re-read the actual post!! :)

One of the reasons I'm really bummed about the new system's spellcheck feature.  :(  But hopefully our host will install the missing PHP module - or I'll figure out how to get a different spellcheck feature...