Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0907  (Read 620 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0907
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
Robservations #907

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0907

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:52:01 AM »
I'm glad we're seeing another appearance of the Collinsport train station.  Is it a steam train though?  I thought I heard steam...  Isn't it still safer to skip town with Carolyn, Paul, than to go "home" with Liz?  I mean, even if she had been normal? 

At hospital-- we see a reversal of the late 1897 scene, in which an evil not-really Quentin hovered threateningly over the bed of old Barnabas posing as a new human Barnabas (well he was human then, but you know what I mean).  It's much more parallel than I'd thought when I started typing this paragraph.  Barnabas has been highjacked by an evil force.  Quentin has a new identity as a normal human being, not who he looks like, even though he's forgotten.  Barnabas and Quentin both had about three layers to their identities, I think.

It's weird hearing Barnabas thinking as a Leviathan.  It's the first hint we see of regular Barnabas in there, thinking his own thoughts.  His two parts are combining priorities and motivations into one thing.  His real self actually comes out on top in this case, allowing Quentin this one chance at life (not strangling him when he was about to), and promising his other half that it will only be for this one time, then he kills.  (I suppose he could try to strangle him again the next minute, and claim that's the second time!)   He may be bargaining between his two selves, which must be very pressured, since neither half can keep any secrets from the other.

They're putting Paul into the Blue Room.  Quentin had the Green Room toward the end.  How many colors do they have?  In the Drawing Room scene, the camera gets into the shot. 

It comes out that Liz doesn't believe Paul.  It all reminds me of struggling to have my medical condition believed, and the awful humoring that saps one's dignity, and energy, as one tries to get it out into the open, in order to address it.  Paul's new at having knowledge no one will buy... he just blurts it all out, not listening to his own words, and how they sound, assuming that since right is on his side, others will be able to percieve it.  They're not mind readers though, and all we have to communicate with are mere words, and his are lousy....  They do nothing except to make him sound like a classic paranoid nut.

Julia almost gets the story out of Paul, but Barnabas smarmily appears, exit Julia, fuming.  We have nothing to say to each other, Julia says, bless 'er.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »
This may be the last time we see the train station.

The REAL Barnabas has a nice soliloquy while he's deciding whether to strangle Quentin, and JF does it very well: Quentin is still picturesquely asleep or unconscious in his hospital bed, still with a bandage around his forehead. Barnabas stands watching him with an evil glint in his eyes. He thinks to himself, To think that I drove that car, determined to kill the man who was meeting Carolyn--and that man was you, Quentin! I must kill you now! He starts to put his hands around Quentin’s throat, but then changes his mind: No. You saved me once, when dawn was coming. I owe you one chance at life, the same chance you gave me--but only one. After that, I will have paid my debt. Then I will do whatever I must.

Elizabeth "welcomes" her ex-husband back to Collinwood, where she can "help" him. Her calmness in the face of his increasing agitation is almost smothering--scary!

At the hospital, Barnabas is still watching over the patient. Gently he calls to Quentin, and the man in the bed moans and rolls weakly from side to side. He opens his eyes and looks first at a vase of red flowers, then at Barnabas. Barnabas says, Hello, Quentin. I knew we would see each other again, but I didn't expect that it would be here. Quentin stares at Barnabas blankly.

Carolyn and Julia arrive and greet "Grant Douglas," who stares at Carolyn blankly.

Julia stares at the patient and tries to assess the extent of his amnesia. You seem not to recognize any of us, she comments. I’m pretty confused, he replies. I wouldn’t even know where I am except for this gentleman (indicating Barnabas): Collinsport, Maine! What am I doing here? Stranger things have happened to me in my life. Julia pounces on this and asks what else. But “Grant” doesn’t have a clue. Do any of you know? he asks. Barnabas watches him intently, Julia watches him with concern. Carolyn reminds him, We met at the antique shop, and you asked me for a date. Grant Douglas is a genius, he declares in the genuine Quentin manner. Whoever he is, his heart is in the right place--and his mind and eyes. I think I like him, he concludes. Are you always like this? Carolyn asks. You tell me, he replies wryly.

Julia and Barnabas leave the room. Barnabas says flatly, You were stupid to ask if “Grant” recognized you--he might have given the whole thing away to Carolyn. Given what away? Julia asks, deliberately obtuse. The fact that he is Quentin Collins, Barnabas answers, and that he is nearly a hundred years old. You’ve taken away his memory! Julia says. Barnabas attributes the loss of memory to the car accident. I’m sure you had something to do with it, Julia snaps. She returns to the patient as Carolyn is filling him in on Julia’s detective work. Julia says he lived at 115 Elm Street, Portland, Maine--Apartment 3A. The landlady said he had no wife, and no immediate relatives. Quentin gets more upset. Can you bring the landlady here? he asks. I have to find out. The man who left here said I was someone named Quentin Collins--whoever he is. Carolyn looks at Julia in amazement and tells “Grant” that Quentin lived a hundred years ago. Grant laughs. I can’t very well be Quentin Collins, can I? he says.

Later at Collinwood, Julia tells Paul, I think there was something to your story. I want to hear more of it. You must tell me why Barnabas is behaving so peculiarly. You’re the answer! Paul says and laughs at his bad judgment of character: This Barnabas, he starts, he is connected with some group, some kind of organization, and they are going to-- He stops short, and Julia too whirls around to see Barnabas standing in the doorway. I’ve come to welcome you back to Collinwood, he says blandly. How nice it must be for you to be home again. Paul stares at him for a moment in silence, then walks past him and out of the room. You have quite an effect on him, Barnabas, Julia comments drily. Barnabas starts to speak to her, but she says with utter coldness, Do we really have anything to say to each other? She follows Paul upstairs.

Elizabeth comes out from the servants’ doorway and joins Barnabas. Something must be done, she tells him in her cult-zombie voice. Bringing him here was not the answer. He has been talking. Someone will listen and believe him. Something must be done. Barnabas replies, No. Paul Stoddard will be taken care of--by someone else. He smiles an evil, anticipatory smile......

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:46:24 AM »
I'm glad we're seeing another appearance of the Collinsport train station.  Is it a steam train though?  I thought I heard steam...  Isn't it still safer to skip town with Carolyn, Paul, than to go "home" with Liz?  I mean, even if she had been normal? 

At hospital-- we see a reversal of the late 1897 scene, in which an evil not-really Quentin hovered threateningly over the bed of old Barnabas posing as a new human Barnabas (well he was human then, but you know what I mean).  It's much more parallel than I'd thought when I started typing this paragraph.  Barnabas has been highjacked by an evil force.  Quentin has a new identity as a normal human being, not who he looks like, even though he's forgotten.  Barnabas and Quentin both had about three layers to their identities, I think.

It's weird hearing Barnabas thinking as a Leviathan.  It's the first hint we see of regular Barnabas in there, thinking his own thoughts.  His two parts are combining priorities and motivations into one thing.  His real self actually comes out on top in this case, allowing Quentin this one chance at life (not strangling him when he was about to), and promising his other half that it will only be for this one time, then he kills.  (I suppose he could try to strangle him again the next minute, and claim that's the second time!)   He may be bargaining between his two selves, which must be very pressured, since neither half can keep any secrets from the other.

They're putting Paul into the Blue Room.  Quentin had the Green Room toward the end.  How many colors do they have?  In the Drawing Room scene, the camera gets into the shot. 

It comes out that Liz doesn't believe Paul.  It all reminds me of struggling to have my medical condition believed, and the awful humoring that saps one's dignity, and energy, as one tries to get it out into the open, in order to address it.  Paul's new at having knowledge no one will buy... he just blurts it all out, not listening to his own words, and how they sound, assuming that since right is on his side, others will be able to percieve it.  They're not mind readers though, and all we have to communicate with are mere words, and his are lousy....  They do nothing except to make him sound like a classic paranoid nut.

Julia almost gets the story out of Paul, but Barnabas smarmily appears, exit Julia, fuming.  We have nothing to say to each other, Julia says, bless 'er.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:24:44 PM »
These screen caps from this ep are all priceless:

Some almost look like Julia is channeling Don Vito Corleone in The Godfather[snow_cheesy]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Really nice, all of them! Thanks, MB!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:46 AM »
Thanks from me too... I don't say that enough...