Author Topic: How Hairlarious!  (Read 3144 times)

Nancy

Re: How Hairlarious!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2002, 09:01:38 AM »

Hmmm... Maybe that's why RD kept running his hands through his hair -- he was trying to coax the dialogue out of his brain because he'd never bothered to memorize it in the first place. ;) Or, it could have been a diversionary tactic, hoping that no one in the audience would notice that he didn't have any idea what his next line was supposed to be. [lghy] It would certainly explain why he did his hair bit so often!

Either that or RD thought someone had hidden their dialogue in his hair.  [vylnt]

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2002, 09:09:10 AM »
I guess we shouldn't be too hard on RD. ;)

Did you know that Marlon Brando had (has) a crappy memory, even when it came to doing three minute movie scenes.  During the filming of "The Godfather," Brando had his dialogue written out in large print and then taped to walls, taped to the front of other actors while the camera was on him.  When he did outdoor scenes, the dialogue was written on huge pieces of cardboard propped up so he could read it.

In later years, Brando graduated to wearing a hearing piece whereby an assistant could just give him the lines while he was doing the scene.

What do this have to do with DS? Dick Smith, who created the Old Barnabas makeup, also worked on The Godfather.  See, I knew I could make this relevant, somehow.

Nancy

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2002, 05:05:15 PM »

One of the actors on DS who worked with RD (the brief time this actor was on DS), would paste his dialogue around on the set.  RD, knowing this, said at festivals, he would deliberately put his hand over the dialogue/paper or sit on it when doing a scene with this actor.  This actor was only on during one storyline.  

I remembering reading an article years ago about one of the old soaps in its early days (Search for Tomorrow??, name of the show and the actors have gone into the ether, sorry).  The interviewee recalled coming upon two of her colleagues (a man and a woman) during lunch and seeing them cutting up their scripts.  Apparently, they had an extensive scene coming up on an outdoor set with trees and such.

The actor, being much taller than the actress would tape up his lines on the fake leaves that were higher up and the actress taped hers on the leaves of the lower tree limbs . . .

:D

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga