Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0856  (Read 701 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0856
« on: January 06, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
Robservations #856

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0856

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:56:59 AM »
The bodyswap has happened.  This was a new idea for a lot of people in the '60s, and (like Sam Hall, I think someone said) maybe Thayer didn't really understand it, because even though he plays  a bewildered victim well, he does it with the Petofi voice/"accent".  He could at least have dropped the character voice.  The writers didn't help... there's none of the irony, sarcasm, or other characteristics we know Quentin for.  Q wouldn't be such as earnest, innocent victim.  Selby does a bit better.

It occurred to me that it would be interesting if Quentin's portrait now looked like Petofi...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
The portrait doesn't change--but how interesting if it had! It would have shown Petofi looking like a million miles of bad road.

During the reshot teaser, as Beth rushes into Collinwood, a giant among insects flies off at the left.

I don't remember about TD not changing his voice along with his character. Maybe he improved as he went along. DS is especially good when Quentin, who is used to apparently perfect eyesight, realizes that in Petofi's body he can't see without Petofi's bottle-bottom glasses. The two villains torment him pitilessly before PQuentin gives them back.

And now, of course, QPetofi is homeless, too.

This is our last sight of Magda--too bad!--although we will hear her voice one last time in ep. 887. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize that the switch is now complete.

QPetofi quite naturally goes to the only home he has, but stops short when he realizes it is home no longer. As the old man thinks to himself, we hear Quentin’s voice: I can't go into there now. I could never explain what has happened. No one would believe me! No one would believe me! He was right. They will all think that I am insane. I’ve got to go somewhere else. I must think this thing out.

Beth arrives at the cottage and turns on a light. She hears a sound, and QPetofi steps out, but when she sees only Petofi, she turns to run. I must speak to you, he insists. I don’t want any more to do with you, she says. I must tell you something, he pleads. You’ll find it hard to understand, but you must believe me--because it’s true. Nearly hysterical with fright, Beth cries, You came here to kill me! You found out I went to Quentin! I don’t want to harm you, QPetofi pleads. Just let me talk to you. I need you! Something terrible has happened! At that moment, PQuentin opens the door and Beth runs to his arms. I’m so glad you’re here! she sobs. When I came in, Petofi was waiting for me! Stay away from him, Beth! QPetofi warns. Take me away from here now, Beth begs PQuentin. He’s not Quentin, _I’m_ Quentin! PQuentin shouts desperately as Beth shrinks against PQuentin. He did something tonight! QPetofi cries. I don’t know what it was, but I know he did it because I know that I am Quentin! The mind in this body is the mind of Quentin Collins, just as the mind in that body is the mid of Petofi! I see and feel and think as Quentin Collins! You must believe me, Beth! _He_ is the one you should be afraid of, not me! You’re in danger with him! I don’t understand, Beth says, absolutely incredulous. I don’t either, PQuentin says, but I’m beginning to understand that the might Petofi has finally fallen victim to his own evil. He’s gone mad--he’s completely me deranged. Believe me, Beth, QPetofi pleads, I know what I’m saying! Do you believe him, Beth? PQuentin asks. It’s too fantastic, Bethe says. Of course, PQuentin says. He’s lost all of his powers. Now he is nothing but a harmless old man. With a cruel grin, he finishes, The Count Petofi we knew is gone as we once knew him. The “harmless old man” watches helplessly as PQuentin takes the woman he loves (at the moment, at least) away with what lascivious intent--and after a 150-year drought--poor QPetofi can imagine only too well. Don’t go with him, QPetofi pleads one last, desperate time. He is Petofi! I am Quentin! I am Quentin! he shouts, then groans softly, I am Quentin! Finally he bows his head in despair....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »
Magda exits the same way Natalie Dupres did in 1795, without any mention.

I meant that Sam Hall said that he, himself, didn't understand the body switch storyline.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:40:13 AM »
I meant that Sam Hall said that he, himself, didn't understand the body switch storyline.

I know.  Thayer didn't seem to either.  He never does drop the Petofi voice.  Part of it is Petofi's gravelly throat which will always be there, but he could have gone with a flat, even, plain old American accent as Thayer himself has.

Too bad about Magda.  We're down from having two Grayson characters to none.  I guess we never find out where she goes off to or why.

Q should be more cunning.  This is the sort of thing that can break a person down, though, and make him less than functional.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor