Author Topic: The meaning of MySQL  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The meaning of MySQL
« on: April 07, 2004, 04:43:44 AM »
By the way - what's the SQL file?  I keep seeing that!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The meaning of MySQL
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 05:08:16 AM »
An SQL file is one that contains instructions to manage and/or add/find entries in a MySQL or other type of SQL database. For instance, if I were to write one to add your post to the forum's messages database, it might look like this:

Code: [Select]
INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename, isHighlighted, description, possessedName)
VALUES (46810, 5326, 160, 'Re: Congrats To Us!', 'Josette', 'sherryros@earthlink.net', 1081309424, '##.###.###.##', 1, NULL, NULL, 'WOWIE!!!  :) :) :)<br /><br />By the way - what&#039;s the SQL file?  I keep seeing that!', 'xx', 0, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL);

(Though this format is about to change as soon as we upgrade to the new system (whch I'm WAY behind working on) and there are other methods of writing it too (there always are in computing), but this is my preference because I find it the least cumbersome.)

So much for today's database computing lesson. And now aren't you gald you asked?  [wink2]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:The meaning of MySQL
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 08:19:47 AM »
So much for today's database computing lesson. And now aren't you gald you asked?  [wink2]

;D ;D

I figured it had something to do with instructions regarding our posts.  I suppose I'm more curious about if the letters stand for something.  SQL and MySQL really seem weird and I'm always wondering what it is.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:16:29 PM »
I suppose I'm more curious about if the letters stand for something.  SQL and MySQL really seem weird and I'm always wondering what it is.

The SQL part of MySQL stands for Structured Query Language.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 04:23:40 AM »
Thank you!  Those things always drive me crazy!!  Now I have to wonder if My is really "my" or if that stands for something too!!  ;D
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 04:38:40 AM »
Okay, I'll rephrase it.  MySQL stands for My Structured Query Language.  It is pronounced My Ess Cue Ell.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 04:59:30 AM »
 :)  Thank you!  Sorry to have hijacked this thread!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 06:14:41 AM »
No problem. The forum's split feature provides a very nice way to split posts from their original topic if a particular discussion within it goes too far afield from the original topic - which is why these posts now find themselves with a new title and on the Testing board.  ;)

Actually, since you seem to be so interested, I'll let you in on a little MySQL trivia. It's commonly believed by the vast majority of people that the My in MySQL stands for the common definition of the word "my" because back when it was developed it was pretty common for open source programmers to develop their own versions of languages/software and preface the name with "My." (Most have completely disappeared from use today - but MySQL lives on, its use continues to expand, and it has become the most popular database language in the world because, quite simply, it's really that good.) However, there's also a school of thought that believes that the My in MySQL doesn't have the traditional meaning. Why? Well, that's because the co-founder of MySQL, Monty Widenius, has a daughter named My, and they believe he named it after her. Apparently Monty has never spoken out on the issue - quite possibly because he finds the debate so amusing and doesn't want to stifle it because it continues to make him laugh - but it's an issue that can still be heard being discussed in certain corners of the open source world.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 07:57:01 AM »
Very interesting!  :)

I'm glad you split it; as it kept going on, I was getting increasingly uncomfortable about it being in the other thread.
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 10:53:23 PM »
Well, as long as it's split, when was it invented/written?

MB...or Midnite...can you liken it to other 'things'?

MySQL is to computer as.....................??

???Patti ???
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 12:45:04 PM »
Now I had thought SQL was just indigenous to YaBB and or PHP...but...what to my wondering eyes:

[spoiler]when a Microsoft thing came in the mail at work with a SQL thing...oh, please don't let MB read this![/spoiler]

Patti

PS...and I felt cool that at least I knew what SQL stood for!!!
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 07:31:06 PM »
a Microsoft thing came in the mail at work with a SQL thing...oh, please don't let MB read this!

Microsoft actually has their own version of SQL, which is totally separate from MySQL, and which has come under fire recently for "dragging down other Microsoft servers" because they're "standing on an aging, creaky, and often damaged base." Can't say any of that surprises me.  ;)