Author Topic: Depeche Mode Meets Angelique  (Read 1722 times)

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Depeche Mode Meets Angelique
« on: March 12, 2004, 09:02:51 AM »
Yes, it's been a while since I've posted. But I'm never really far away.  ;)

What prompted my return to the land of the posting rather than the land of the lurking was that I bought a DVD tonight. I guess it's obvious from my sig that I'm a Depeche Mode fan (shame on you if you don't know who they are!) and I finally got around to buying their "Videos 86>98+" DVD. And what did I find on it? Well apparently I managed to miss one of their 1993 videos because it features none other than the '91 series' Angelique, Lysette Anthony. (And shame on SG for never having mentioned her appearance! >:()

Say what you will about her French accent (that's right, I'm talking about you, Gothick [wink2]), but the raw sexuality that she displayed as Angelique was obviously no fluke because it's on display in all its full glory in Depeche Mode's video for "I Feel You". Between the song's driving beat, the group's lead singer's pelvic thrusts and general gyrations (Mick Jagger has nothing on him) and Anthony, this is one hot video. And I figured some of you might get a kick (yeah, that's the word [b003]) out of seeing a few screen captures from it. Enjoy! ;D

[62b2]        [redhotthread]        [62b2]        [rollb]        [62b2]        [smokn]        [62b2]        [supergrin]
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:Depeche Mode Meets Angelique
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:25 PM »
I thought Lysette was very good as Angelique, actually.  Visually, she was just perfect casting.  I always think the criticism of her is much like that of Ben Cross - she's not playing Lara Parker but the character as written, which was a lot more overt and one note.

But for looks and sheer in-yer-face sexuality, she was ace.  And she felt genuinely dangerous - the scene where she bewitches Ben was really outstanding, in that respect.  She's just so driven and bunny boiling mad!
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »
Good find...Thanks for sharing the Lysette Anthony info. i actually found a short version of this song with her at http://archives.depechemode.com/video/music_videos/31.html     I really liked her in "The lady & the highwayman" 1989 before she was casted as my favorite witch "Angelique"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 01:35:22 AM »
Whoa.  I had no idea...!

Thanks for the capture, and for the link to the video clip too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 04:10:10 PM »
My, Lysette Anthony certainly did have a lot of ... talent, didn't she?  The new Angelique is going to have quite the bustier to, erm, fill.

Does that disc contain "Never Let Me Down"?  I doubt you would know this, but that song was considered quite the anthem in gay discos, back in the day.  My friends were convinced the song's lyrics referred to the singer's best friend who doubled as his playmate between the sheets.  There were some lines in that song we never could quite decipher, but they sounded VERY naughty.

G.

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 05:56:12 AM »
i actually found a short version of this song with her

Thanks for posting the link to the video. I'm a member of that site and I didn't even think to do it.  [6184]  It's too bad they didn't use some of the parts that show her better, but the point was to show off Depeche Mode, not Lysette.  ;)

Maybe I can put togther something for the Members' Archive after it reopens.

My, Lysette Anthony certainly did have a lot of ... talent, didn't she?  The new Angelique is going to have quite the bustier to, erm, fill.

:D

Does that disc contain "Never Let Me Down"?  I doubt you would know this, but that song was considered quite the anthem in gay discos, back in the day.  My friends were convinced the song's lyrics referred to the singer's best friend who doubled as his playmate between the sheets.  There were some lines in that song we never could quite decipher, but they sounded VERY naughty.

Because this is a DS and not a DM forum I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. :)

"Never Let Me Down Again" is one of my favorite songs, the lyrics are included with the CD ("Music for The Masses"), and I can't say I've found them to be "naughty" in any particular way - gay, straight, or otherwise. Most of the songs on that CD deal with some sort of surrender. That single is about a guy's enjoyment of spending time with his best friend because they always have a great time together (the "let down" isn't a disappointment - the song is a plea to his friend to never let their feeling of "flying high" end or to put his "feet back down on the ground". I might see how a bunch of horny gay 20-somethings might be willing to read into that, but the video is just about a simple car ride. On the other hand, another one of the singles from the CD, "Behind The Wheel," uses the metaphor of a car ride in a blatantly sexual way because it's about a guy's willingness to let his girlfriend take, uh, control of the "wheel."  [wink2]

Now if you want really "naughty," you should check out DM's video for "Personal Jesus" (from the "Violator" CD and a precursor to their "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" CD, which contains "I Feel You"), which has the four DM members with four prostitutes in a bothel in a old west town, singing lines like "Take second best/Put me to the test/ Things on your chest/You need to confess/I will deliver/You know I'm a forgiver/Reach out and touch faith". But some of DM's best songs deal with religion or sex, and "Personal Jesus" just happens to be one of the many to combine both, and that combination inevitably turns out to be their greatest stuff.

End of DM ramblings. -- Well, except to say that I've wrestled with using the line from "Strangelove" (also from "Music For The Masses") that I chose for my sig or a similar version that comes later in the song: "I give in to sin because I like to practice what I preach," which more than a few people who know me think is much more appropriate!  [lghy]
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 10:00:29 PM »
Well, thanks for that eclaircissement.  I had no idea.

I don't really believe in "sin" but it does have such a delicious sound to it, doesn't it?  Especially when referring to "My Sin" perfume or the "strange sins" referred to in many a fin de siecle poem.

Had I the skill, I'd do a version of Never Let Me Down with footage from Barnabas and Julia scenes.  I think it would be a cool song to express their relationship.

G.