Author Topic: OT - Other Favorite TV Shows  (Read 8235 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re:OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2004, 01:26:45 AM »
I loved American Gothic, but I think it's for the best it only played for two seasons. They told the story, tied up the loose ends, and went out on a high note.

I've made it no secret that Thomas Rathburn in Dreams of the Dark was inspired to no small degree by Gary Cole as Sheriff Buck. When I was writing the character, I always heard Gary Cole speaking his every line of dialogue. The physical description was right on, too. ;)

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2004, 01:45:28 AM »
Sorry everyone, but when I think of Gary Cole, I think of that tepid actor...married to an actress with a disability....

??? ??? ??? (forgive me.....the kids are home on Easter break and I actually took today & tomorrow off).

Patti

somebody...screen grab of ??Gary Cole??
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2004, 02:27:34 AM »
somebody...screen grab of ??Gary Cole??

You can go to tvtome.com and type the name for a site search.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2004, 04:27:06 AM »
Try this...

--Mark

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2004, 05:20:26 AM »
For fans of Millennium, I just got an e-mail from TVShowsOnDVD.com saying that the first season will be in stores in July.  I can't wait, but I'm really looking forward to the second season coming out.  To me that was some of the best TV since my all time favorite, (other than DS of course), Twin Peaks.  Nothing compares.  I'm just hoping that American Gothic will be released on DVD as well as Carnivale.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
Other than Dark Shadows, I don't know if any of the genre shows, other than Buffy and the comedies, would count as favorites. Twilight Zone has been shown to death, so it's not as compelling as it used to be. Thriller, Outer Limits and Night Gallery have some good episodes but are uneven. I was never able to get into the X Files. I could never warm up to the leads.

I was absolutely hooked on Twin Peaks. Creepy, ultra weird and fascinating. But it meandered a lot in its second year and just seemed to be weird for the sake of being weird. Still, it was great while it lasted. It was also the favorite show of my best friend's Labrador Retriever.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: OT - Other Favorite TV Shows
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
What a great thread- hadn't seen it before!  Since a lot of time has passed since some of these posts, I may as well mention that all 3 seasons of Forever Knight have finally now been released!  It took awhile to get them out there, but I managed to get ahold of all of them.  Awesome series!  American Gothic is also out on DVD- I think I got the complete series as a bundle.  I remember when rewatching it that there is a lot of discrepancy with the episodes- they aired them out of order, I think, and it's a little difficult to figure out what order to watch them in, as there are a lot of plot inconsistencies if you watch them in the order they put them in.  That was a really excellent series, though I agree with those who said it sorta got lost a bit toward the end.

I suppose I'd regard Twilight Zone as my favorite series of all time, even though because of all the airings (often edited and shortened) by the Sci/Fi/SyFy channel, I've gotten a little burned out by it.  But there are just SO many classic episodes.  All the similar shows- Night Gallery, One Step Beyond, the Outer Limits, even Amazing Stories or Tales From The Crypt, are all ones I love to watch.  I also loved Twin Peaks when it was on, and I recently re-watched that whole series- again, it got a little goofy toward the end but wow, what a great show!

Among some horror/sci fi themed shows that have been on more recently, even though it's pretty far away from DS's genre, Battlestar Galactica was probably one of my top shows within the last decade, and I was also a fan of Firefly, Lost of course, and Heroes' first season-- even though it went downhill pretty fast, that first season still was pretty great.  There was also a show called The 4400, which is probably more like what Heroes should've been like.   This past year, I really enjoyed American Horror Story and look forward to season 2.  I watched Grimm a few times but I think it was on at the same time as another show, and I never really got into it.  Was the other show Fringe?  I adore Fringe and will be sorry to see it end after this coming season.  For some reason, I never got into True Blood or the Vampire Diaries- you'd think they'd be right up my alley!  Edited to add- believe it or not, I've never watched a single Buffy episode.  What an omission!  I have season 1 on my Netflix queue, and one of these years, I hope to plow through the entire series.