Author Topic: Thayer David Info Wanted  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Thayer David Info Wanted
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:59:41 PM »
Does anyone know anything substantial about Thayer David?

I did a google, and the best I could come up with was:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800061043&cf=biog&intl=us

which isn't very good (BUT...SCROLL DOWN!!)

So, if anyone is in the know about our beloved Prof. Stokes, please tell me/us.

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:Thayer David Info Wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 12:19:52 AM »
What do you want to know?

Born in Medford (a suburb of Boston)--real name was David Thayer Hersey--family made money in paper mill biz.

Went to Harvard and helped found Brattle Theatre.  Was in the same circle as poet Frank O'Hara and artist Edward Gorey in the late 1940s.  Did lots and lots of theatre, including Shakespeare and classical roles.

Had lots of character roles in films, but also had big career doing voiceovers for radio commercials in the Sixties.

Married film actress Valerie French.  The marriage didn't last, but apparrently their friendship did.

Alex Moltke Isles mentions that he carried a torch for her while they were working on Shadows together.  Presumably, his warmth helped her endure some of the difficult scenes they had together in his first storyline.  Jonathan Frid mentioned that even though Thayer was basically the same age as himself and Louis, he was very avuncular and caring of all of them.  Grayson knew Thayer professionally before Shadows, and she was a friend of his wife's.  KLS enjoyed Thayer's company a lot.  There's a wonderful series of photos of Thayer and her out antiquing taken by Ben Martin during the Sixties, in the original "My Scrapbook Memories of DS"--I wish those photos had been retained in the revision.

Some of his post Shadows work is really worth checking out.  My favorite is his version of Nero Wolfe.  When will it be released on any format???

Steve

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 12:24:06 AM »

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 12:27:52 AM »
Broadway credits: http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=37392

Article about the Brattle theatre: http://www.brattlefilm.org/first100.html

Not much, but something anyhow.

He's probably in some of the reference books, Patti. I can do a looksy on Monday if you want (or perhaps one of the other librarians here can oblige  8) )

Anything in particular you want to know?

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 02:37:49 AM »
Hi, while we're on the subject, how does one go about finding out what others have written about Thayer, let's say, in their autobiographies for example? I haven't a clue of how to go about it.

Thanks,
dom

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:25:59 AM »
Hi, while we're on the subject, how does one go about finding out what others have written about Thayer, let's say, in their autobiographies for example? I haven't a clue of how to go about it.

Do you have specific autobiographies in mind? If not, if you have a list of his credits, look and see who he worked with and then take a stab at finding material by or even about those people (directors, actors, etc.). Biographies are sometimes better because they tend to be a lot more objective and if the author was any good, they checked up on the facts.

If you do, then indexes will help. If there are no indexes and sometimes there aren't, then short of reading the whole book, I'd skim through (e.g. he worked with such and such during a specific period of time, so find that section of the book first).

I think you'd be best off starting with reference sources, then going to the periodical and I&A indexes and databases, and books, etc. Anyone doing serious research is going to be spending quality time with the microfilm readers though  :P
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline DUBA527

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 05:52:50 AM »
I believe Thayer did the voice of the comic book character "The Kingpin" on a "Spiderman" rock and roll album released around 1972 as well. I have it and it's pretty funny...
 :)
John

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 07:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips Luciaphil!  :-*

dom

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 10:42:26 PM »
Thanks everyone (especially Midnite  :-*  ).

Has anyone ever heard anything that either M. Stroka or T. David said about acting with one another?

Any articles, etc (no gossip please).

Maybe someone heard something at a 'Fest'?

Thanks

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 06:07:17 AM »
I remember an interview with David Selby from a few years ago -- it was done for a website or something.
In it he talks a bit about Thayer, and working with him in the mini-series Washington Behind Closed Doors.
I went and found the link:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/film/shadows/selby.htm

(That's the extent of MY research for the month)  lol

And for those interested parties who haven't seen it.....
(Hi Gothick!! [wave] .....Hi Julia99.....)
David also talks a little about Grayson.  [hello]

-CLC 
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 10:41:51 AM »
Never read this one before...That was a awesome interview. thank you Connie for posting the link.  David Selby really talked alot about the daily going-ons and the behind the scenes of DS. i noticed "ed" the DS expert (which he did know alot about DS), did not correct Dagon when he said John Karlen was a doctor in NODS. and david Selby agreed with him. from what  i remember, is that john Karlen & Nancy Barrett were both husband & wife mystery writers in NODS. correct me  if iam  wrong about this? 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 11:23:52 AM »
from what  i remember, is that john Karlen & Nancy Barrett were both husband & wife mystery writers in NODS. correct me  if iam  wrong about this?

Robert, I remember too that he was an author.  And part of a "popular husband and wife novelist team" according to the teletype.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 12:19:59 PM »
Never read this one before...That was a awesome interview. thank you Connie for posting the link.

Yer welcome.   ;)

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »
 :)Thank you for posting that interview, Connie... it was great!

8)I sure wish Thayer David was here... my favorite interview with him is the "Ron Barry" one.  It's so nice to hear his voice on that one!  You get to hear him talk as an actor about the roles he and the DS people created.  I hope you have that CD.

;DI was lucky enough to meet Michael Stroka.  He was a wonderful man... he seemed surprised that DS had such a lasting effect on so many people.  He was grateful and unassuming.

"We shall never forget any of them."

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 04:27:40 AM »
I sure wish Thayer David was here... my favorite interview with him is the "Ron Barry" one.  It's so nice to hear his voice on that one!  You get to hear him talk as an actor about the roles he and the DS people created.  I hope you have that CD.

Which CD is that on?  I would love to hear the interview.  I don't have any DS CDs -- are there other Ron Barry interviews on them??  I've only heard the Selby phone interview and I love it.  (Wow - big surprise, huh!)

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>