Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0785  (Read 480 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0785
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Robservations #785

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0785

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
Poor magnificent bastard Evan.  He dreams big, and he falls down hard.  Now he is Melty Face Evan, after trying out his hand at controlling the Hand.  Magda tries to look after him, to what extent I don't care to speculate.  Quentin comes in, is befuddled by MFE.  At some point a Julia gasp comes out of Magda.

The marriage is announced.  Everyone toasts the happy couple, not quite.  Judith on her own later... a second Minerva visitation.  Judith says something about her changed will.  ??  Minerva uncharcteristically knifes the Bible.  Good they labelled the child's drawing of her, it looked more like Sasquatch.

Ed to Q: "Do you have plans this evening?"
Q: "That's a very interesting question."  I liked that.

Even Magda has heard about the marriage.  Evan reveals who he is to Q.  Q lets Hand be placed on him as he transforms, end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
MFE's face reminds me a lot of the ghost of Jeremiah, with its Ping-Pong ball eye and melted features. Yeah, I don't want to speculate either about how much care Magda has to take of MFE. Good thing Barnabas isn't sleeping in the basement anymore, though, since that's where Magda herds her charge--who seems to have lost his mind along with his features--when Quentin arrives.

Quentin is agitated about the impending full moon and demands to see the hand. Magda shows it to him but it doesn't cooperate when she closes the box--a finger sticks out. Quentin notes that "that man" seems afraid of the hand.

Judith tries to phone Evan, who of course is not at home. Judith is wearing her pretty pink dress, apparently forgetting that poor Carl is hardly cold in his grave, or else she's glad to be rid of her troublesome little brother. Her two surviving brothers react predictably when she announces that she has married "dear Gregory": Edward sputters with outrage, Quentin laughs loud and long. He offers his congratulations and raises his glass in a half-mocking toast, but Edward refuses to do either. He reminds Judith that according to Edith's will, he and Quentin can live at Collinwood for as long as they like. Judith says fine, as long as they behave themselves. She has decided to hand over all business concerns to "dear Gregory." Edward reminds her, Grandmother left you with the money. I knew that was bothering you, says Judith. And after you, it goes to my son, Edward continues. When he's twenty-one, Judith says. What if you die before Jamison is twenty-one? Edward asks. Then dear Gregory will administer the estate, Judith replies. [One wonders how many murders "dear Gregory" would commit to make sure the money ends up with him alone.]

Minerva is at work again, tearing up Judith's revised will and stabbing--yes, stabbing!--the family Bible with a wicked-looking letter opener. She really wants Judith to notice a particular verse: She reads, The righteous perish, and no man taketh it to heart. None considering that the righteous are taken away, but the evil is still to come. [Isaiah 57:1-2]. Maybe Minerva added the (self?) portrait to make sure Judith knows who is haunting her.

In the study, Edward tries to enlist Quentin's help in getting Judith's marriage annulled, but Quentin is too busy clock-watching and stomps out.

A few moments later Judith answers the front door and Magda comes in. Ah, the happy bride, Magda comments. Congratulations, lady. But Judith isn’t in the mood for Magda’s flattery. She asks flatly, What do you want? To see Quentin, Magda replies. Judith huffs, I’m astonished you dare come here, considering that you’re still working for Barnabas. He is a Collins like you, Magda shrugs--all Collinses are hard to work for. Quentin comes to the foyer and tells his sister, Leave us alone, Judith. Judith glares at him, then leaves. I had to know, Magda says, troubled. I had this feeling.... If you don't try tonight, I feel you'll never be able to try again--and I trust my feelings. I'll be there at dusk, Quentin promises. Just then Edward comes out of the study. Ah, Mr. Edward, Magda says, you must be so happy to have a _man_ in the family at last! With a laugh, she turns on her heel and leaves. Edward asks angrily, What are you doing at dusk with _her_? Are you turning down Evan Hanley for _her_? You’d never understand, Edward--never, Quentin answers as he goes upstairs again.

Judith tells Edward she has no regrets about marrying "dear Gregory." I will see that you do, Edward fumes and stomps out.

Quentin returns to the Old House at dusk and finds MFE again. This time, MFE manages to ID himself to Quentin, who is horrified at this example of the hand's doings. Magda enters with the casket containing the hand. The nearly hysterical Quentin shrills, Is this really Evan? She nods silently. Evan confirms it by gasping out, The hand! Quentin grabs the casket and shows it to Evan, who recoils even though the little box is still shut. Magda leads Evan away. Quentin holds the box, looking down at it with dread and terror. Once Magda returns from putting Evan down in the cellar, Quentin opens it and stares down at the contents. The moon is rising, Magda warns him. You had better decide. It disfigured Evan's face, Quentin says, changed it so completely. If it did that to him, what will it do to me? No! he shouts. I don’t want any part of it! He is about to turn tail and run when he doubles over in pain as the change begins. It isn't too late to use the hand, Magda pleads. It won't help, Quentin insists as his body contorts in agony. Whatever it does couldn't be worse than what you're going through now, Magda insists. Let me try! All right--try, Quentin gasps desperately. Magda takes the hand from the box and raises it high as she intones, I ask you to invoke the powers granted in the forest of Aujedon, the powers that took the curse from Count Petofi! Use these powers now to reach into this man's heart and remove the curse from him forever! Then she place the hand over Quentin’s heart....