Author Topic: #1238/1239: Robservations 01/14/04: Melanie's Mother; Another Death  (Read 1632 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1238 - Melanie's mother is none other than Josette Collins!  Mother and daughter run into each other's arms, thrilled.  "Melanie, my Melanie," croons Josette.
Kendrick, considerate enough to leave them alone in their reunion, says, I'll be downstairs.  As Josette caresses her face, Melanie says, there's no one else in the world I would rather have for a mother than you--I've always felt close to you!--when I was a little girl, you used to stop and talk to me, stroke my hair, straighten my hair ribbons.  I know, says Josette--each time I stroked your hair, I came close to telling you the truth.  Why couldn't you tell me? asks Melanie--why couldn't we have lived our life together?--Mother, you should have kept me.  Outside the door, Julia eavesdrops.  I couldn't, says Josette.  But why? asks Melanie  I just couldn't, says Josette--please, darling, let's leave it at that.  No, says Melanie, please, Mother, tell me everything.  Julia joins them.  Melanie looks eager, Josette sad.  I'd say you have told her enough now, says Julia coldly.  I haven't told her anything, protests Josette--she found out for herself.  You could have denied it, says Julia.  No, I've denied her long enough, insists Josette--she's my daughter and I'll deny her no longer--I should never have given her up.  You had no choice, says Julia.  I did have a choice, says Josette, I made up my mind that I'd take Bramwell and my baby and go somewhere no one knew us and we knew no one (how old was Bramwell then?  Wasn't he at least a teenager, and knew his mother had had a baby?)--I'd made all the arrangements, even rented a small flat in Boston.  Then what happened? asks Melanie.  Josette was "persuaded" that a poor widow with no kin could not raise two children in a manner that was good for them, says Julia.  That's right, says Josette--I knew if I stayed here, you would get all the care and comfort you needed, but the thing was, we couldn't stay together--THEY wanted you in the great house.  Who wanted me? demands Melanie.  Never mind, says Julia.  Melanie objects--I've waited so long to get to the bottom of this--please!  I imagine SHE has been waiting, too, says Julia icily--waiting for you to find out so she could announce that she's your mother--even though she had promised to give you up.  Do you think any mother can REALLY give up her child? asks Josette angrily.  You do know there are such things as honor and keeping promises, says Julia.  Promise--a promise to whom? asks Melanie--I want to know!  And you shall know, vows Josette, right now.  Josette, no! says Julia--telling the truth now can benefit no one--is it worth destroying the whole family?--I beg of you!  It's no use, I'm going to tell her the rest, says Josette--and nothing you can say will stop me!  No, says Julia sarcastically--I suppose there isn't any way to stop you, you're so overwhelmed today, you'll do anything for your newly-claimed daughter--you don't care who else you hurt.  Julia, says Melanie, incensed, don't speak to my mother that way!  Your mother is... begins Julia.  Leave us alone, orders Melanie.  Julia appeals to Josette--please.  This is my bedroom, insists Melanie.  Julia gives Josette one last look and goes.  Now you must tell me everything, says Melanie--why did you come back here instead of staying in Boston?--why did they want me at the great house?--whom did you promise to keep silent?  It was your father, says Josette--he insisted.  My father? repeats Melanie.  Yes, darling, says Josette, your father--Justin Collins.  (Wow, what a bomb!  She cheated on Barnabas?)  Melanie is stunned.

Justin Collins was my father, says Melanie wonderingly, I can't believe it.  It's true, says Josette, you're as much a Collins as any of the others, and just as much his child.  Then you and Papa were...in love, says Melanie.  Looking back on it now, says Josette, it's hard to tell whether we were or not--it started after Barnabas' death in that terrible period of bereavement when one needs kindness so badly.  And Papa was kind, guesses Melanie--no one was ever so kind as he.  No one was, agrees Josette--he put anything he was doing aside to help me--when I had to go to Boston to see to Barnabas' estate, he went with me--she smiles--Boston was a separate world that belonged to just the two of us--and after a while, I found out I was going to have a child--you were that child, Melanie.  (Sounds like old Justin was as randy as the rest of the male Collinses, doesn't it?)  What did Papa say when you told him? asks Melanie hesitantly.  I don't think I've ever seen a man so happy, says Josette--he hoped you'd be a girl, he said a man was entitled to a daughter after he had three sons--oh, I wanted you to know that, Melanie--how happy he was that you were to be born--he didn't have a single doubt about you coming and neither did I.  Melanie, thrilled, says thanks, Josette, for telling me this.  He offered to leave Flora and go away with us, says Josette, but I knew that was wrong--Justin belonged here with those three boys, so I ran away by myself.  Where did you go? asks Melanie.  Boston's a big city, says Josette--he wasn't able to track me down for quite a while--not until after you were born--and then he was furious--he thought it would be wrong for you to be raised in Boston--he insisted that I let him take you back to Collinwood and raise you here--and finally he convinced me it was the best thing for you and you were the only one that mattered--now can you understand why I had to give you up--why I couldn't claim you?  Melanie kneels at her mother's feet and holds her.  How hard it must have been for you, Mother, she says, how very hard to see me grow up as somebody else's child.  They hug.

Julia comes downstairs and into the drawing room, where Kendrick is reading the newspaper.  I'm sorry there is nothing better to entertain you than the Collinsport Gazette, she says--I'm sure you'd prefer a private diary or some intimate letters.
That remark was not necessary, he says, rising to his feet.  I don't think it was necessary for someone to come into this house and pry and pick away at all our secrets, which is precisely what you have done, she accuses.  If I have, it's because those secrets were better off in the open! he says.  Oh, is that for you to decide? she asks.  Yes, he says yes, it is for me to decide, if it concerns Melanie.  And I suppose you intend telling everyone what you've just discovered? asks Julia.  I will do what Melanie and her mother want me to do, says Kendrick.  I can't believe they would want to hurt Flora, says Julia--I must insist Flora not be told of this.  I sympathize with your feelings and wants to hurt no one, he says--I will do what Melanie and her mother want me to do.  Julia bites her lip.  Now, if I may ask you a question--if you won't accuse me of prying, he says, how did you find out?  How did I find out? she repeats--a long time ago, I took some of Justin's clothes to a charity in the village--in one of the coat pockets I found a letter that told me enough so I surmised the rest--I always blessed the day I found the letter instead of Flora--I don't think she would have enjoyed learning that her husband had betrayed her for someone else--that's what it comes down to--he betrayed her with another woman--nothing can wipe the shame of that out for her.  (Julia is quite the righteous lady, isn't she?)

Bramwell sits vigil by Daphne's bedside.  "Daphne, my darling," he says, in despair.  She drifts out of her coma and looks at him.  Bramwell, she says, I thought I heard you call me.  He smiles at her, delighted.

Have I been sleeping all along? asks Daphne.  He holds her hand--yes, he says, you had a long sleep--how do you feel now?  Very tired, she says--I feel as if I'd run a long distance or come from very far away--Bramwell, I feel very, very grateful.  No more grateful than I am that you found your way back to me, he says happily.  You're grateful? she asks.  I want you to conserve your strength, he says, now just listen and don't talk--all the time you were lying there, when it seemed you wouldn't come back, I felt so much despair--so much bleakness in my soul--so much anger.  Anger? she asks.  Yes, he says, because I know now how deeply I love you and despaired I'd ever be able to tell you how much.  Oh, but you did tell me--don't you remember? she asks.  He looks puzzled.  No, you couldn't, she says, that was my dream--while I was sleeping, I dreamed I had your son--and the look on your face when you saw him for the first time told me how much you love me.  Bramwell dips his head down, deeply ashamed.  He doesn't say anything.  What's the matter? she asks.  Nothing, he says.  Yes there is, she says, something's wrong--I was wrong to come back, wasn't I?--she begins to sit up--I was wrong--I should have...  He eases her back down--lie still, he urges.  He sits on the bed with her--don't upset yourself--the truth is, I do love you, he vows.  Then don't turn away from me, she says.  I won't, he assures her.  Don't you want to have a child? she asks (yes, and I already am--with your sister).  Right now I want you to get well, he says--rest, get back your strength, think of nothing and no one but yourself and your health.  What will you think about? she asks.  You, he says --I may have failed you as a husband up until now, but from now on, everything will be different--I won't fail you again, ever--give me the rest of our lives to prove that.

And Bramwell is my brother! Melanie exults to Josette--well, my half brother, actually--I've always felt so close to him--do you remember, even when I was a very little girl, I was always tagging after him instead of Morgan, Gabriel or even Quentin?  I remember it so well, says Josette--I used to see the two of you go off together and wish I could tell you both the truth--tell the whole world the truth--would you like that?  Yes, bubbles Melanie, I want the whole world to know whose child I am!  Josette is equally eager to share this news.  No! orders Julia from the doorway--no one must know.  This doesn't concern you, says Melanie.  It does, says Julia--you two are so overwhelmed by what's happening, you don't know what you're doing--but I have not lost my senses and am aware of my obligations to the family--and I tell you, you will not say anything--I forbid it!

I've let your branch of the family tell me what to do for far too long, says Josette resentfully--but no longer!--I'm not a child you can forbid...  Yes you are a child, interrupts Julia, a willful child--and you're determined to use Melanie for revenge against those you think treated you badly.  That isn't fair, objects Melanie--we don't want to harm anyone.  You'll hurt yourselves, counters Julia--and you'll hurt Flora---she's been through so much lately--do you want to destroy the woman who raised you?--take away what little she has left?  I don't want to harm Flora or anyone, repeats Melanie--but neither do I want to deny my mother the chance to tell the truth.  You can't have it both ways, says Julia--you have to make a decision and face the consequences.  Why are you so concerned? asks Melanie.  I am Justin's sister, says Julia, now that he is dead, I owe it to him to take care of Flora, and I've not forgotten my obligation to the family.  The family, snaps Melanie, always the family!  Yes, agrees Julia, but don't forget, it's your family, too, as much as mine--Flora didn't know that when she took you in--you were just a waif who needed a home--and she gave you one--she begrudged you nothing.  All right, says Melanie, if it's agreeable to my mother, we shall say nothing.  Josette nods.  What about Kendrick? asks Julia--he said he'll do whatever you want.  You've spoken to him, says Melanie--I must talk to him right away.  She leaves Julia and Josette alone.  I must go, too, says Josette.  No, says Julia, wait--there is one other thing we have to settle, you and I
--it's best for everyone concerned if you never come to Collinwood again.  WHAT? demands Josette.  You heard me, says Julia--you can see Melanie whenever and wherever you like--but not here.  You cannot treat me as an outcast! Josette insists. You made yourself an outcast, insists Julia, when you and Justin broke the laws of God and man.  (So cold, unforgiving and self-righteous!)

"Madame, your tea," says Bramwell, carrying in a tray, "brewed by your devoted and loving servant--you'd better try it and see if it's all right."  She sits up in bed and pours the tea--I'm sure it's perfect, she says.  And so are you, he says, smiling down at her--drink your tea.  Josette comes in--how's Daphne? she asks.  She's awake, so much better, says Bramwell.  Daphne, my dear, says Josette.  He did it, says Daphne joyously--Bramwell willed me to come back.  Josette looks depressed.  Don't look so sad, says Bramwell--this is a wonderful night for all of us.  Josette walks away.  What's wrong? Bramwell asks.  She bursts into tears and flees the room.

Collinwood drawing room - Now you know everything about me, Kendrick, says Melanie--who my mother is, who my father was.  Incredible, he says.  I don't know what to do now, she says, I don't want to hurt Flora, or Papa's memory, but I don't want to continue living a lie any longer--if I could just think of some way...  There is a way, says Kendrick, and we are going to find it--when we're married, everything will look different.  He takes her into his arms.  When cane we be married? she asks.  Let's go to the village and find out, he says.  Make it quickly, she says, gazing into his eyes, very quickly--she hugs him.  I'll go get dressed, she says.

11 PM - Julia comes downstairs into the foyer.  Bramwell bursts in--what happened here tonight? he demands.  Julia feigns ignorance.  My mother came home a while ago, very upset, he says, I know she was here--who did she see and talk to?  There's nothing I can tell you, says Julia.  I don't believe that, he says viciously.  Then let me say there's nothing I wish to tell you, she snaps.  I've never seen my mother more upset in her life, he says.  Josette comes in, horror-stricken--it's Daphne--something terrible has happened to her.  He immediately leaves.  Julia and Josette exchange a glance of hatred before the latter leaves, too.

Daphne, fallen very ill again, calls to Bramwell.  I'm here, he assures her.  I'm so glad you came in time, she says, gasping for breath--there are things I must say before I go.  I won't let you go, he insists, holding her hand.  No, she says, not even your love can make me stay--it seems I only came back for a visit--now I've got to go back to the darkness forever.  No, Daphne, no! he protests.  I'm not afraid, she assures him--darkness is comforting--and you must find comfort, too, without me.  I don't want anything without you, he insists.  Bramwell, she says, you say that now--but in time, you will want Catherine.  He looks down.  You see, she says, I can say it--you will want Catherine
--and she will want you--Bramwell, you have my blessing.  She turns her head, trying to breathe, and says, you're the two people in the world I love most--and must comfort each other.  Daphne, you mustn't give up, he begs.  But Daphne takes one last, sighing breath and dies. "Daphne, no!--Daphne don't leave me!" he cries.
"Daphne!  Daphne!"  He pulls her into her arms, hugging her lifeless body.

NOTES:  An incredible revelation and a death in this sad episode.  Melanie and Josette are united and Bramwell and Daphne are parted by the specter of death that perpetually hangs over Collinwood.

Sounds like Justin took advantage of Barnabas' grieving widow, doesn't it?  Although he offered to go away with her and the baby, Josette knew the serious consequences of such an action--or did he put those ideas into her head on purpose so he could maintain his life with Flora and his sons and have his daughter, too?  Perhaps Justin wasn't such a nice guy after all.  Josette could never claim her own child, and had to watch her raised in a house where she always felt herself an outcast.

I was thrilled for Melanie and Josette, but understand why Julia wanted this kept a secret.  Flora would probably be devastated if she knew her husband was only human, and since all this happened so many years ago, why dredge it up now?  Julia has the right instincts, but she is so cold when it comes to the passions of others!

At least Daphne felt Bramwell loved her at the end.  Her rally and sudden setback seemed strange, but I guess that sometimes happens in real life, too.  At least she got to say goodbye and give him her blessing about getting together with Catherine.  Now, about Morgan...

Once again, Kendrick is so incredibly understanding and considerate, you have to love him.

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:#1238/1239: Robservations 01/14/04: Melanie's Mother; Another Death
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 08:21:15 PM »
1239 - Old House - Catherine runs to the Old House--Bramwell, Julia just told me Daphne had taken a turn for the worse, she says--I came as quickly as I could.  Bramwell, walking downstairs, doesn't respond, his face turned away from Catherine.  When he turns to look at her, his disconsolate face tells all.  Please tell me it isn't true! begs Catherine.  Daphne is dead, says Bramwell--she died a few minutes ago.
Catherine begins to cry.

She died peacefully, without pain, says Bramwell.  Tears running down her face, Catherine cries, oh no!--why couldn't it have been me?--I'm the one who deserved it.  We can't think that way now, he says--it isn't what she wanted.  She was so young, full of life, she had everything to live for, sobs Catherine--a person like that doesn't want to die--the will to die has got to be inflicted upon them--and WE inflicted it, didn't we?--you say she died without pain--what about the pain we brought into her life?--I wish I was dead.  I feel I must tell you, he says--she had one last wish before she went.  Catherine wipes her eyes with a handkerchief.  She said she wanted you and me to be together, he says.  Oh, please! she pleads, stop it, you're making it worse!  He apologizes.  I'd like to go up and see her one more time, if it's all right, she says.  He starts to follow her.  I'd prefer to go by myself, if you don't mind, says Catherine, and heads upstairs.  Bramwell bows his head.

Collinwood - drawing room - Julia sits by the fire, rubbing her hands together, upset and worried.  She opens the window and looks out.  The front door opens and closes--Melanie and Kendrick, who joyously announce, we have just gotten married.  Melanie is Mrs. Kendrick Young!  We were married in the village, an hour ago, says Melanie, ecstatic.  Seeing the look on Julia's face, Kendrick asks, aren't you going to congratulate us?  This can't possibly come as a shock to you, says Melanie, grinning.  Bramwell was just here, explains Julia, we were talking, then Josette came in and said Daphne had taken a sudden turn for the worse.  Is she still alive? asks Melanie hesitantly.  I don't know, says Julia, I'm waiting to hear now--I told Catherine about it, and she went there, too.  I'd like to go see her, Kendrick, says Melanie.  No, I think it would be best for us to just stay here and wait, advises Julia.  It seems we spend most of our lives waiting for death to come, says Melanie.  I'm so sorry you had to come back to this news, Mr. Young, says Julia--this should be one of the happiest nights for you--she shakes Kendrick's hand and says, welcome to the family.  Thank you, he says--call me Kendrick.  And you call me Julia, she invites--I wish you both every happiness.
The newlyweds are smiling.  Melanie thanks her.  There is one thing, says Julia, that troubles me--have you made any plans?  We've been married less than an hour, he says--no, we made no plans.  I wondered if you would be staying here at Collinwood, says Julia.  We intend to, at least temporarily, he says.  You don't know how much that pleases me, smiles Julia--Melanie, I'll have one of the servants prepare a room for you and Kendrick.  She leaves.  Kendrick kisses Melanie's forehead.  Catherine returns home, her face a sodden mess.  How is Daphne? asks Julia.  She's dead, says Catherine quietly.  Everyone looks somber.  Melanie bursts into tears and runs upstairs.  Catherine begins to cry again, too.

Catherine, wiping her eyes, sits beside Julia in the drawing room--it's so hard to believe I'll never see Daphne again, she says . Death is something we have to accept to go on living, says Julia.  Catherine cries.  I never knew Daphne very well, but I did pray for her, says Julia.  That was good of you, says Catherine.  No, not at all, says Julia, I think it was selfish of me.  Why do you say that? asks Catherine. Perhaps now isn't the time to discuss it, says Julia--it MUST be discussed --the family will have to be told, of course, and I am particularly worried about how Morgan will react--ever since Daphne became ill, he has been particularly bitter toward Bramwell.  I can't understand that, says Catherine--Morgan didn't know Daphne any better than you--why should he be bitter?  Bitterness is only a surface reaction, says Julia--beneath that is fear.
Fear of what? asks Catherine.  With Daphne gone, Bramwell will be free to be a rival for your affections.  I'm not going to let anything like that happen! insists Catherine through gritted teeth.  I'm not as worried about what you will do as I am Morgan--if this fear takes hold of him, there's no knowing what will happen.  You don't have to worry, says Catherine--I'll go to Morgan immediately and tell him he's to leave Bramwell alone.  She hurries upstairs.  Julia watches her go, seems to come to a decision of her own, and leaves the house.

Kendrick carries Melanie into a bedroom, where they fall together on the bed, kissing, declaring their love.  I know you're still upset about Daphne, he says.  I'm sorry, she says, running her hands through his hair.  Don't talk that way, he says.  You should be happy tonight, she says.  Both of us should, he corrects, caressing her face.  I can't be, don't you understand? she asks.  Of course I understand, he assures her, but there's a million other nights left--you've got a beautiful new life ahead of you--don't you believe it?  I want so very much to believe it, she says, but I don't know if I will ever be able to as long as the curse goes on--as long as death and madness are all we know in this house.  (Another unconsummated marriage--sigh!)

Old House - Bramwell sits by the fire, staring into the flames.  There's a knock at the door, but he can't seem to rouse himself to answer.  Julia lets herself in and enters the drawing room--may I come in? she asks  Catherine has told you? he asks--I suppose you've come as the official spokesman of the family with the family condolences?  She nods--yes, she says.  I know you all so well, he says bitterly, I know every move you make before you make it--well, you've given your condolences, I extend my gratitude, the ritual is over--good night.  You mean you really don't believe in our sincerity? she asks.  I neither know nor care, he says--I just want to be left alone.  I have another reason for coming here, she says--I believe that when the funeral is over, it might be wise for you to leave Collinwood!
Bramwell stares at her, enraged.

Leave Collinwood, I don't know what you're talking about! says Bramwell, standing to face her.  I think my statement was plain enough, she says.  But not the reason behind it, he says--explain yourself!  I think you understand the reason, she says--I want to avoid another incident like that duel.  Say no more, says Bramwell--it's all become crystal clear--you're here on Morgan's behalf, of course!  He doesn't know I'm here, says Julia.  I know he doesn't! says Bramwell, infuriated, you never consult anyone when you're cooking up one of your little schemes.  This is not a scheme, she says, I am genuinely concerned about the future--I'm afraid if you stay here, Morgan may try something foolish.  No, says Bramwell, you're afraid he may try something foolish and get himself killed! Or you will, says Julia.  No, says Bramwell, we both know perfectly well that he doesn't stand a chance this time.  You haven't given me an answer, she says--will you consider leaving?  My answer is NO! shouts Bramwell, this is where I belong and this is where I'm staying!  But you know your presence here can lead to trouble, protests Julia.  No force on earth will make me leave Collinwood! says Bramwell--I vowed five years ago that I would come back here a rich man someday, and see you people rot in hell--well, it took longer than I thought, but I'm rich now, rich as any of you and I have one good reason for staying here.  Ah, and that reason is Catherine, says Julia with a nasty smile.  Yes, Catherine! he says.  Does it matter to you that she's married--and happily--to another man? asks Julia.  You and I both know, as Daphne knew, says Bramwell, there's only one man who can ever make Catherine happy--"Now thank you for your advice, dear cousin, good night!"  Without another word, she leaves.

Collinwood drawing room - Julia, thank you for telling me about Morgan, says Catherine--when I told him of Daphne's death, I was amazed at the depth of his anger--he was all ready to go to the Old House, find Bramwell--it was all I could do to stop him.  But you did stop him? asks Julia.  Yes--after a great deal of persuasion, says Catherine--I finally did get him to give me his word that he would leave Bramwell alone.  But will he keep his word? worries Julia--and I hope Bramwell will stay away from Collinwood.  Kendrick enters.  Where is Melanie? asks Julia--is something wrong?  Nothing is wrong, he says, she's still very upset about Daphne--I finally put her to bed, she's sleeping now.  I'm sure the rest will do her good, says Julia.  If anything in this house CAN do her good, remarks Kendrick--I think you should know, Julia, I have had second thoughts about what I said to you earlier--I told you I plan to stay here for the time being--I have reconsidered, Julia--my stay here is going to be very brief--I plan to take Melanie away as soon as I possibly can.

Melanie sleeps.  A wind blows through her room.  Windows open by themselves, billowing the curtains.  There is the sound of tinkling glass.  Melanie awakens and arises from her bed, demanding, "Who are you?"  We hear Brutus' laughter, then the ghost himself appears to Melanie, who screams.
Brutus Collins! she cries, horrified.

Why have you come to me? she asks.  My curse must be fulfilled, he says, advancing on her.  Stay away from me! she begs.  You will help me, he says, you have helped me before, you shall bring suffering upon them.  No! protests Melanie, I don't want to hurt anyone!  You can't escape me! he insists.  Leave me alone, please! she pleads--leave me alone.  I will have my revenge, he vows--and you shall be the instrument of my revenge--Amanda!  I'm not Amanda, she says, I'm Melanie.  You are Amanda, he says, you must do as I tell you to do!  No! she cries hysterically, backing away from him.

Kendrick, are you sure I can't persuade you to change your mind? asks Julia.  Only Melanie could do that, he says--if she sincerely told me she wanted me to stay--but I know she wants to leave Collinwood!  What Melanie wants and what is good for her are two different things! says Julia.  I'm sorry, says Kendrick, I believe they are one and the same--she must get out of this house!--good night.  He leaves.  She sits down, dejected, shaking her head--no one wants to listen to me!

Kendrick returns to his room, but pauses for a puzzled moment before entering.  Melanie is gone.  He calls to her, instantly worried, ordering, Melanie, answer me!  Julia joins him--what's wrong?  He points out, she's not in her room.  We've got to find her, says Julia.  The two of them turn to start searching.  Melanie darts out, a knife held in her upraised hand.  "I met you before!" she viciously tells Kendrick
--"You're not a Collins, you don't belong here!"  It's Kendrick, Melanie!  My name is Amanda, she informed him--I warned you before to get out of this house, but you didn't listen to me--all in this house are destined to die!--and now, you are going to die with them!  She comes at Kendrick, intent on stabbing him, but he easily disarms her.  We must take her to the tower room and lock her up, insists Julia.  Kendrick refuses, struggling with his wife.  We must, says Julia--given how dangerous she is, that it's the best thing for her.  They go down the hall, pulling the struggling girl along.

Midnight - Kendrick sits in the drawing room, his face buried in his hands.  Julia hands him a brandy--now you can now see why Melanie can never leave this house, she says.  Whatever you say, I agree, he says, but only until this curse is done and finished with, and then I swear, we'll never come back here.  What do you think can be done about it? she asks with a bitter chuckle.  Wind fills the room, the lights flicker.  Kendrick asks Julia what's happening, but she doesn't know.  Brutus' laughter echoes around them.  What's happening? asks Kendrick, who's laughing?  Brutus' ghost, she replies.
Brutus himself appears before them with an edict: "Hear me and hear me well--she will not be sane again, not until another Collins enters the locked room!"

NOTES: There have been three elopements out of Collinwood in this storyline, keeping the Justice of the Peace in Collinsport hopping.  Melanie and Kendrick, Bramwell and Daphne, Morgan and Catherine.  They never had a really big, formal wedding on DS, and all of these took place off-camera, too!

Brutus has spoken once again--the lottery must be held once more.  I guess that Morgan's turning into his enemy, James Forsythe, negated his stay in the lottery room.  Too bad.

Catherine has warned Morgan not to go near Bramwell, and Julia has warned Bramwell not to come to Collinwood.  Will these two battling cousins actually be able to stay away from each other, especially now that Bramwell seems to have taken his dead wife's blessing to heart and is intent on pursuing Catherine again?

Poor Kendrick.  He married the woman he loves and now she has been possessed--perhaps permanently--by Amanda.  And he didn't even get any wedding night nookie!  If they do hold the lottery, does Kendrick get to play, since he's married into the family now?

Loved the confrontation between Julia and Bramwell.  It was a honey.  She was wrong, of course, to try to force him to leave Collinwood.  He won't go anywhere if it means being separated from Catherine and his child.  We've seen what the years of having to keep her secret did to poor Josette.  Is this generation doomed to play out the same sorrow?

Love, Robin