Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0743  (Read 599 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0743
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Robservations #743

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0743

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
In the original timeline, it possibly played out similiar to this with Laura controlling Dirk to get information and his mentioning of Jenny.

[spoiler]Which will lead to Quentin's werewolf curse.  In original 1897, I also think after Lauras demise, it was Dirk, now insane, who murdered Pansy, Rachael, & Carl and was killed by Edward[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Hmmm, interesting, Joey. It all sounds plausible.

Quentin lights new candles, which have replaced the used ones, although no one was present to replace them. He and Barnabas fence around for a bit about Laura, Barn's taste in young ladies (Quentin seems to like them tall). Barn dares Quentin to tell Judith and Edward that he caught Barn practicing the black arts. (Oh, come on, Q!) Then he suggests they can help each other. Barn knows about Alexandria and that something happened there that made Quentin and Laura enemies. A change in the two men’s relationship is signaled when Quentin sits down with a sigh. I'm not afraid to talk about it, he assures Barnabas. I’m more afraid you won't believe me. It must have been very strange, Barnabas prompts him as he takes a seat opposite. Quentin tells him that he saw Laura consumed by flames in Alexandria. Barn tells him about summong the 18th-century Laura, who told him that she wants to take the kids away. That's exactly what she told Quentin, so the two men race off to the cottage, finally allies.

Laura has apparently rematerialized at the cottage and is revived by Dirk. She tells him that Barn and Quentin are against her. Quentin seems to lead a rather charmed life--he was given up for dead once after Jenny put a knife in his chest, but he somehow managed to survive. Jenny is still at Collinwood? Laura asks, shocked. [Jenny’s attack on Quentin happened before Laura returned.] I shouldn't have said it, Dirk realizes--too late. But Laura is delighted at the idea that she can use Jenny to destroy Quentin, at least. Dirk tells her all about poor Jenny.

Barn and Quentin arrive at the cottage. What a pleasant surprise, Laura lies. Quentin smiles to see Dirk and asks, Have we come at a bad time? Not at all, she assures him. Dirk was helping me rearrange some furniture, and I invited him for a drink. Rearranging furniture all evening? Quentin asks. Yes, Laura replies--that seems to surprise you. It looks the same as this morning, Quentin notes. Dirk and I were chatting much of the evening, Laura says [so that’s what she’s calling it now!]. Dirk agrees [so he’s calling it that too!]. I was anxious to hear what happened while I was away from Collinwood, Laura says, and Dirk was filling me in [much more apt!]. Will you have a drink? she offers. Barnabas refuses politely, and so--in what must be a first!--does Quentin. Laura says that she's never felt better in her life. Barn says that Quentin wanted to see the portrait, so Laura says it's out being reframed. Having run out of conversational gambits, Quentin suggests that he and Barn leave. Barn says--unfortunately, out loud--that he's going to show Quentin yet more "rare volumes" at the Old House. After they're gone, she exults, Jenny will want to know they went to the Old House. When do you want me to let her out of her cell? Dirk asks. Tonight, Laura replies, as soon as I prepare her for what she must do.

Poor Jenny is singing to her babies. She tells Dirk that she's getting them ready for Quentin's funeral. Dirk closes the door and leans back against it, shutting his eyes, barely able to conceal his revulsion at the unfortunate madwoman.

Barn and Quentin confer at the Old House. Quentin suggests using the black arts to summon the 18th-century Laura. Barn warns him that they have to do something about her before she does something about them.

Dirk brings Jenny some very unappetizing-looking soup. She warns Dirk that she doesn't want to be left behind when the carriage leaves for the funeral.

At the cottage, Laura gazes into the fire and sends her voice through the flames to Jenny. You will hear my voice, Jenny, as clearly as you hear your own voice. Jenny! she calls sharply. Surprised, Jenny drops her soup spoon into the bowl. Who is calling me? I don't recognize the voice. You can't see me, Jenny, but surely you know who I am, Laura says. Laura! Jenny exclaims in angry dismay. Where are you? You took Quentin away from me! she accuses Laura, trembling with fury. But he didn't love you, Laura gloats. He loved me! Don't say that, Jenny pleads. It's true, Laura says smugly. You've come to take him again, but you can't, Jenny says with a wild grin, laughing, because he's dead! Quentin is dead! That's why you can't have him! Quentin is very much alive, Laura says. You're lying! Jenny snarls. It's true, Laura assures her. Agitated, Jenny insists, I killed him! I know he's dead! He's alive, Laura cries, alive! He's hiding from you in the Old House, being protected by Barnabas [whom Jenny has never met]. See for yourself!

Out in the corridor, Dirk quietly unlocks the door to Jenny’s prison, but leaves it closed.

Go on, Jenny, Laura goads her hapless victim. Go to the Old House, find Quentin, and kill him! Jenny discovers that the door to her room is unlocked. Dirk listens and watches from around the corner as she leaves the room and walks up the small flight of stairs to freedom. Laura's eyes are ablaze with triumph....

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »
The ceremony now interrupted, Laura reappears at the cottage and informs Dirk that Barnabas as well as Quentin is out to destroy her. Dirk lets it slip that Jenny is still at Collinwood. Laura sees her golden opportunity to get even....

Laura was a pure b**** tormenting Jenny like that. [ghost_angry] You'd think that she could have sent Jenny on the mission to kill Quentin without taunting her like that.

That was a pretty hollow threat on Quentin's part....without any evidence to back him up does he think Edward and Judith would believe their rake of a brother over their gentleman cousin?

But I too noticed the slight change in attitude Barnabas and Quentin have towards each other when Quentin finally admits what went down between him and Laura in Alexandria. The two cousins have finally found a common cause....the destruction of Laura.

Of course they go to the cottage and find Laura as perky and healthy as she can be (after she has recovered of course). She's very polite and graceful to them, but she's not fooling them (at least not Barnabas who after he and Quentin retreat back to the Old House points out that Laura knows they can't prove what she was and wasn't doing during the time of Barnabas' summoning and questioning her spirit).

Jenny is being used, despicably, by the woman who was her husband's lover, as a weapon of Laura's revenge. Dirk unlocks the door, and after Laura's voice informs her of Quentin's whereabouts and orders her to kill him, Jenny leaves the room and heads up the stairs.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
Laura screams.... why?  And disappears.  Q sees.  Did Barnabas expect the intrusion?  He says not, but he also said he was expecting Quentin at any moment, and staged the event anyway.  Q and Barnabas share information on Laura and informally join forces.  Laura finds out about Jenny in the basement, is utterly fascinated, and unleashes her on Quentin again...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor