Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0741  (Read 618 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0741
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
Robservations #741

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0741

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »
Opening where the previous episode left off, Barnabas and Sandor open up the grave of Laura Stockbridge. The Laura of 1897 feels this and runs out of the cottage. She goes to the tomb and watches silently as Barnabas opens up the coffin and finds it empty.

Sandor tries to offer a rational explanation to why the coffin is empty (such as mistake on the burial party, graverobbers), even suggesting that the Laura Barnabas knew back in the 18th century could be an ancestor of 1897 Laura, but Barnabas won't believe any of it. After seeing the empty coffin he is convinced more than ever that the Laura he just met is the same one he was so infatuated with as a boy so long ago.

Barnabas senses a presence there. Laura sneaks away out of there, undetected. Barnabas, wanting to find out how the Laura of the 18th century died, goes to the records and reads in a book that she died in a fire.

Magda reports back to Quentin that Laura ran out of the cottage in a panic. This interests Quentin very much
....he asks Magda what her personal opinion of the newly returned Laura is. Magda admits that she believes Laura is more fanatical and interested in Jamison and Nora than she was before she gone away. Guess Edward's feelings about her not being such a devoted mother were true after all.

Quentin asks Magda if Laura has powers, but Magda doubts it, saying Laura asked her to read the cards (or was it her palm, I forget which), and that a woman who had powers wouldn't do it. Naïve observation I must say. A woman with powers isn't going to boast about them or demonstrate them unless she's pushed to do it.

Quentin sends Magda back to the cottage. Laura returns and orders Magda to burn the portrait of 1790's Laura that Barnabas had given to her. Magda wants to keep it so she can sell it but Laura refuses. She wants the picture destroyed. Magda relents and puts it into the fire, to the relief of Laura.

Barnabas, realizing that Quentin could shed some light on what happened between him and Laura in Alexandria, goes to Collinwood to try and trick the information out of him. They start out with their usual remarks and then Barnabas produces what he thinks is a trump card....a cable from Alexandria to Quentin.

Quentin denies that the telegram has anything to do with him or Laura. Irked by Barnabas' questions Quentin warns him he might just start investigating him since Barnabas to Quentin at least appears to be more mysterious than Laura. He invites Barnabas to breakfast. Barnabas, realizing that dawn is about to come, declines. Quentin than asks how about lunch....but then Sandor and Magda come in through the door, rescuing Barnabas. Sandor gives an excuse to why Barnabas must go. Quentin retreats to the drawing room and before leaving, Barnabas orders Magda to stay with Quentin, for fear that Quentin will follow them.

Magda informs Quentin that Laura has returned. Quentin opens up the telegram and goes straight to the cottage to confront Laura. You'd have thought that Quentin would be smarter not to go after Laura alone after what happened to him at the cottage the last time he was alone with her there.

Quentin demands to know what Laura has come back to Collinwood for. She insists it is to get her children but he won't believe that. Laura informs him she won't allow him to ruin Jamison and Quentin insists that would be better than the alternative...he is certain that Laura means harm for the boy. Then he produces what he declares is proof....the cable which has told him that Laura Collins is indeed dead, and carries with it a death certificate.

Better episode I must say, even if the Laura history is getting rewritten and tangled up from what we had previously had learned in 1967 when she wanted David. Still I do enjoy watching Laura Millay and her scenes with David Selby are great to watch. And I also love watching David and Jonathan's scenes together as well.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
They could have called this episode "The Many Deaths of Laura Stockbridge and/or Murdoch Collins."

Quentin tries to bully Magda into telling him what she knows about Laura. But she is desensitized to his badgering and he ends up giving her money.

Barn gives Sandor a rather garbled version of his memories of the Laura of the 1790s. He takes Sandor to the records room, which is adjacent to the crypt and has shelves with record books. It was a sudden death--that I remember, he says as he searches the shelves to find the proper ledger. My father wrote to tell me that “my cousin, Uncle Jeremiah” [what he says!] was very disturbed, and not to talk to him about it when I returned home. One way of dying is the same as another, Sandor comments. Not necessarily, Barnabas replies--I should know. He finds the correct ledger. When he finds the proper page, he murmurs, Laura Collins died January 25, 1875 [he means 1785]. Cause of death--fire! How could I have forgotten that? he asks. Or did my father change the course of history again? Was there something about her death that made him conceal the cause? Barn hopes to get the truth out of Quentin one way or another.

Laura goes into raptures when Magda throws the portrait into the fire.

Barn tries to get information out of Quentin, even apologizing for the bad start to their relationship, but Quentin isn't buying, not even when Barn gives him the telegram from Alexandria. Quentin advises him, If you’re that interested in learning about Laura, you should run to the gossip who said she was with me. It’s common knowledge, Barnabas says. Why are you so interested in Laura? Quentin asks. I'm interested in anyone I meet, Barnabas replies blandly. I think you're lying, Quentin says bluntly. And this is not the first time I've thought so. And not the last, Barnabas retorts. What does that mean? asks Quentin. That you aren't going to stop? As the tall foyer clock strikes five (a.m.), Barnabas’s scarcely concealed alarm only increases when Quentin adds, What if I decide to find out everything I can about you? You're much more mysterious than Laura. Staring at the still-striking clock, Barnabas replies, I don't mean to be. What business are you in? Quentin presses him. Investments, Barnabas replies. That’s why I travel to Bangor so often. Are you going to Bangor today? Quentin asks. I haven't decided yet, Barnabas replies. I'd like to go with you, Quentin says, if you do go. Outside, a rooster crows its warning. Barnabas says nervously, I must be going. I think my questions have unnerved my cousin, Quentin observes hopefully. Not at all, Barnabas assures him. Cook will make us a marvelous breakfast, Quentin proposes. I don’t eat breakfast, Barnabas insists as he moves toward the door. Then what about lunch, if you don't go to Bangor? Quentin suggests. Barnabas looks at him penetratingly as he asks, You do eat lunch, don't you, Cousin Barnabas?

Quentin finally reads the telegram--and is stunned by its contents, which we will find out soon. He and Magda agree that Laura seems more concerned for her children than she was before she left. Quentin goes to confront Laura at the cottage.

As if stalking an enemy, Quentin enters the cottage very quietly. Laura is still sitting by the fire, and he actual succeeds in startling her. Annoyed, she stands and points out, It’s late. We've been here later, Quentin reminds her. You'd like to say you don't remember--but you do, as I do. Why did you come back? he asks. You’re like a little boy, she says patronizingly. Have you wondered that ever since I appeared? Weren't you able to decide that for yourself? I don't believe you came back for the children, Quentin says. Yes, I need them, she says. What will you take in their place? Quentin asks. Money, anything? She simply laughs. I'm serious, he insists. I'll steal it, but I'll get it. I'll do anything to make you leave. I have powers, he declares, and I'll use them to help you. Laura cries, All I want is my children! Why is that so difficult for you to accept? BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM IF YOU TAKE THEM! he shouts, standing about three inches away from her. Laura retorts, I know what will happen to them if they stay here! You will ruin Jamison, and I know why--because he is the heir. You will get money by using him, and I won't let that happen. You can't have him, Quentin! But at least he'll be alive! Quentin says passionately. Are you starting that again? she asks, quoting mockingly, I died in a fire in Alexandria. Yes, Quentin replies through gritted teeth, I'm starting that again. It's very foolish, she warns. It's not, Quentin replies. Now I have this, he says, producing the telegram triumphantly. More paper? she scoffs. It’s from the police in Alexandria, Quentin tells her. Your friends, she sneers. Ignoring her, he reads it aloud: “Police records confirm Laura Murdoch Collins died by fire, March 7, 1896. Death certificate follows.” Laura simply stares at him....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
Why did it take Laura a year to return when 1967 Laura returned as soon as she "died" the first time?

Another example she may not be the same Laura of 1967.  Is it possible she is a weaker twin of the other Laura appearing in separate times?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
At Laura's crypt, she creeps in through the front door, physically, eavesdrops, then creeps back out, rather than materializing as she did in 1967.  Later, she has her painting burnt, apparently deriving sustenance from it...... "It's been SO long...." she cries.  ??

Quentin receives a letter from Alexandria saying Laura died in a fire there... in a replay of the message arriving in 1967, saying she'd died in an apartment fire in Pheonix.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor