Author Topic: #1218/1219: Robservations 12/22/03: Unfortunate Timing  (Read 1238 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1218/1219: Robservations 12/22/03: Unfortunate Timing
« on: December 21, 2003, 02:08:04 PM »
1218 - Voice shaking, Catherine asks Bramwell, do you think I'll just stand by and let you ruin my sister's life?  I assure you, he says, that I will make her life happy.  How?--you don't love her! cries Catherine.  Are you making Morgan's life happy? demands Bramwell pointedly.  Yes, she says furiously, because I love him--you won't believe that because you don't want to believe it.  We have nothing more to say to each other, he says.  How did you become the way you are now? she asks--you're no longer the Bramwell I remember--You're bitter and resentful--you allow your anger to ruin your life!  I can thank you for that! he says, and the rest of them that live in that house!  And is my sister to pay for that? demands Catherine--oh in God's name, think about what you're doing--be honest with yourself--you're not marrying Daphne out of love, but hate, and all it can mean is a lifetime of misery!  I'm going to live my own life without interference from you and the rest of the Collinses! Bramwell retorts, getting right in her face--"I am going to marry Daphne!"  You don't love her, accuses Catherine--and you'll never make me believe that you do.
It wasn't so long that I said the same thing to you, he reminds her, voice tinged with irony.  She turns away and closes her eyes--you're playing a game, she accuses--a selfish, vicious game--I warn you, you're not going to get away with it!  There's nothing you can do to stop it, he says--it's what I want--and what Daphne wants--now good night, Catherine.  He goes upstairs.  She runs from the house.

12:50 - Collinwood - Carrie comes downstairs and meets Daphne in the drawing room.  Daphne, distracted, tells the young girl, I didn't know you were in the house.  I was visiting Melanie, explains Carrie.  How is Melanie? asks Daphne.  Much better, says Carrie--but how are you?  I'm fine, says Daphne.  No, something is bothering you, says Carrie.  How could you know that? asks Daphne--why are you looking at me so strangely?  They won't let you do it, says Carrie, staring into Daphne's eyes.  Surely you can't know what I was just thinking, says Daphne.  No, not exactly, says Carrie, I just have the feeling someone wouldn't let you do something.  Do you know something that I don't know? asks Daphne anxiously.  No, says Carrie, nervous, it's just that sometimes when I look at someone, I can almost see beyond them--I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.  It's all right, Daphne assures her, you're really very unusual.  You're not angry with me? asks Carrie.  No, why should I be? asks Daphne.  When I tell these things to people, says Carrie, they get upset and I get embarrassed.  You shouldn't, says Daphne, I wish I had your gift--I suppose then I'd look a little more forward to the future.  Catherine returns, enters the drawing room and bids Carrie a curt good night.  The young girl, intimidated, leaves.  The sisters face each other.  Why was I naive enough to think you could actually be happy for me? demands Daphne.  If you believe, deep in your heart, it's possible for you to be happy, then you're wrong! cries Catherine, and I intend to prove you wrong.  And just how do you propose to do that? asks Daphne.  I don't know, says Catherine, but I do know I will do everything in my power to stop you from marrying Bramwell Collins!

There's no way you can stop it, says Daphne--I'm legally of age and old enough to know what I want--"And I want to marry Bramwell--and Catherine, I will!"  You can't, I've thought this out carefully, insists Catherine.  I love him! insists Daphne.  And do you think for a moment that he loves you? asks Catherine.  That's what's really bothering you, isn't it? says Daphne--the fact that he may be in love with ME!  Are you afraid to answer my question? asks Catherine.  Yes, he does love me, says Daphne.  If you believe that, you're a fool! snaps Catherine, and if he said it to you, he's a liar!--she turns away.  I've never seen you this way, says Daphne, I didn't think I ever believed you could really be this selfish.  Catherine faces her.  Do you know why you don't want me to marry Bramwell? asks Daphne--it's because your whole life is still based on his loving you!  That's not true! says Catherine.  Oh it is, says Daphne, and it's you that's afraid to face the truth, not me!  They stare at each other.  You are my only sister, Catherine reminds her more gently--your future means everything to me--I beg you, please, just take a little time--think about what you're doing--take time to realize he will make you very unhappy.  You can't imagine him loving anyone else, can you? asks Daphne--it's because you're still in love with him yourself!  Will you do as I ask? Catherine says.  No, says Daphne with determination, shaking her head.  Then all I have to say to you is you will soon know what a marriage without love is, says Catherine.
As you do? says Daphne, and turns to leave.  (Oh, right between the eyes, Daphne!)

Old House - Josette is shocked when Bramwell tells her he proposed to Daphne.  You and Daphne Harridge? she asks.  Is that all you have to say, Mother? he asks.  No, she says, I can't say I haven't seen it coming--but do you think it's fair to the child?  Daphne's not a child, says Bramwell.  Whether she is or not, do you think it's fair? asks Josette.  So you're against it, too, says Bramwell.  The question is, says Josette, is it what you truly want?  If it weren't, I wouldn't even consider it, and you know that, says Bramwell angrily.  I know you better than any other person alive, says Josette--I know all you've been through, especially these past few weeks--and the question is one you and only you can answer--are you marrying for love or to get back at Catherine and the others at Collinwood?  (She is a practical and gutsy lady; score one for her.)  When he doesn't reply, she sternly says, you must answer that as honestly as you know how.  I do not think I'm doing anything wrong, or being unfair to anyone, states Bramwell--that's all I can tell you.  I don't believe there's ever been a greater love than the love that existed between your father and me, says Josette, a faraway look in her eyes--Barnabas and I could not have survived without our love--when he died, I felt such a total loss, for a time I thought I might go insane--I made mistakes after that, many mistakes, but while Barnabas was alive, I was as happy as any human being can be--think of what you're doing in terms of your own life--and your own future--when you are my age, will you be able to say the same thing?  Daphne returns and looks at Bramwell.  Well, Daphne? he asks cruelly--was Catherine able to change your mind?

When Daphne doesn't reply.  Bramwell asks, what happened at Collinwood?  Nothing, she says, I just didn't get the reaction I expected.  Catherine is opposed, guesses Josette.  I so much wanted her to be happy for me, says Daphne sadly.  We do not need her blessing, Bramwell assures her.  I know that, says Daphne--how could she, though?  I want you to know that I would welcome you as a daughter, says Josette, but I think at this point there is some confusion in your mind.  "Mother," says Bramwell warningly.  Josette holds up her hand--please let me have my say, and then I'll leave you together--you both have all the time in the world--but it may be a mistake to rush into something that will alienate so many people.  But I don't need those people! shouts Bramwell stubbornly.  But Daphne does, says Josette--she's been close to them and she has to consider their feelings--she pats Daphne's shoulder--think about it, my dear, she says, and leaves.  Bramwell asks "Catherine" (Freudian slip blooper) do you want to postpone it?  I never thought we would face this opposition, says Daphne--it's a terrible thing to want something so much and to have everyone so much against it!  We can't afford to listen to others, he says, taking her hands and staring into her eyes--we have to live our own lives.  I know that, she says.  That isn't the only thing troubling you, is it? he asks--other peoples' feelings aren't the only thing bothering you--somewhere in your mind, there is a doubt that didn't exist there before.  (They're playing Barnabas' theme music.)  Perhaps there is, admits Daphne, I hadn't thought of it as a doubt, but perhaps there is.  Then you must tell me about it, he urges.  She turns away, admitting, you have never once told me you love me, Bramwell.  I wouldn't have asked you to marry me if I didn't, he assures her.  She closes her eyes and asks, "Do you love me, Bramwell?"  Who has put this doubt in your mind? he demands.  No one did, she says.  Someone must have, he says, growing angry again, and it could only have been Catherine!--she's led you to believe I'm still in love with her--is that true?  No, Catherine didn't say anything, says Daphne, near tears.  She must have implied it, says Bramwell, and she's wrong--she's remembering something in the past--but I'm a totally changed man now--you must remember that--and she cannot accept it!  The thought didn't even occur to me until I was on my way back here, says Daphne.  Furious, seemingly talking to himself, Bramwell wonders, how dare Catherine try to interfere with our lives--she chose how to live hers--now let her live it and let us alone!  Oh, Bramwell, says Daphne, why is there so much emotion in your voice when you speak of her?  There are many kinds of emotions, says Bramwell, and anger is one of them, and I've never been one to hide my anger--you will have to learn that.  I have learned it, says Daphne, stepping back from the intensity of his emotions, and you still haven't said the words I want to hear.  I love you--very much, he says (and gets a zero on the love meter for his lack of sincerity).  No, says Daphne, I know you better than you think, and I know you didn't mean what you said.  She gazes at him regretfully.

You don't believe me, do you? asks Bramwell.  It's not a matter of believing you, say Daphne, it's a matter of knowing what you feel and don't feel.  You don't want to marry me, he says.  I didn't say that, she protests, I don't know!--but I think no matter what else, we've got to be open and honest with each other from the very beginning.  "I'm older than you, Daphne," he says, "and I may not be able to offer you youthful passion--but I'll do everything in my power to make you happy."  (Ahem, I wonder what Catherine would have to say about his "youthful passion"?)  I've always known that, she assures him.
There are many forms of love, he says, and with what I feel now, my love can grow--and we'll have a life that others will envy. His sincerity hits home--give me until morning, she asks.  By all means, he says--whenever you want.  She leaves.

Catherine opens the door to Josette.  We must talk--alone, says the older woman.  Yes of course, says Catherine, come into the drawing room.  If you've come here to plead Bramwell's case, it will do no good, says Catherine.  On the contrary, says Josette, I'm here to tell you I couldn't agree with you more.  Really, you agree? asks Catherine, relieved.  I speak of matters as they stand at the present time, says Josette--things may change and Bramwell might come to genuinely love Daphne--but at the moment, you are right, Catherine.  He's marrying her out of spite for all of us! insists Catherine.  Yes, agrees Josette, but he is not aware of it.  Neither is she, says Catherine.  I know, says Josette, but I think she may be having her first doubts--she was quite upset after her talk with you.  Do you think there's a possibility she'll reconsider? asks Catherine.  That's why I'm here, says Josette, to tell you what I think--and you must listen.  I'm listening, says Catherine.  When Daphne told you her plans, says Josette, you should never have reacted as you did.  What was I meant to do? asks Catherine.  Nothing, says Josette--you reacted exactly as Bramwell wanted you to and you only succeeded in confusing Daphne--I know, we both agree this marriage should not take place--but you know as well as I do it can't be stopped by any show of pressure.  I'm willing to do whatever will work, says Catherine.  Then do nothing, advises Josette--we both know Bramwell--the more he's pressured the more stubborn he'll become, and the more he'll pursue Daphne.
But if I just stand by and do nothing, it's sure to happen, objects Catherine.  I say there's a chance now it might not, says Josette, it's a chance worth taking.  I don't know what to say to you, says Catherine, pressing her hand to her forehead.  I've said all I came to say, Josette tells her--if only you'd been willing to wait, Catherine, how happy you both would be now.  (Zing!  This lady knows her stuff!)

Carrie is sitting in her home when Daphne comes to call.  You've never been here before, have you? asks Carrie.  No, says Daphne.  It's good to have company when Father's out working, says Carrie.  Your father is the caretaker of the estate, isn't he? asks Daphne.  Yes, says Carrie--why do you want to see me?  I've heard about your unusual gifts, says Daphne, and was wondering if you might be able to help me.  What do you want me to do? smiles Carrie.  I want you to help me make a decision--you see, Bramwell and I are to be married.  That's wonderful! cries Carrie, congratulations!  Daphne, finally receiving the reaction she wanted, smiles at her enthusiasm and thanks her--the decision concerns the future, and since you can see into the future...  I can, but not always at will, says Carrie.  Try for me now, asks Daphne, because it's important for me to know wither or not Bramwell and I will be happy.  I'll try, says Carrie, but you must understand that whatever I see in the future, I have no control over.  I understand, says Daphne.  Carrie walks a few steps away and concentrates.  She sees an image forming, getting clearer--it's Bramwell, with a sad look on his face--he's walking through a graveyard--gone to pay his respects to someone's grave, he's standing in front of it, but I can't see the name on the tombstone.  In the vision, Bramwell moves away.  Carrie reads the stone--Daphne Harridge Collins, born 1818, died 1841!

NOTES:  This is an even more discouraging than what Josette (I love her, she's so practical and hard-headed), and Catherine had to say.  It looks as if Daphne marries Bramwell, according to Carrie's vision at least, she will die!  Will she take it as a warning and cancel the wedding?  If she doesn't, what will happen?

Josette and Catherine are right about Bramwell's wanting to marry Daphne, and it's for all the wrong reasons.  He tells her his love for her might grow with time, but what if it doesn't?  Is it fair to marry her under these circumstances?  That remark from Josette was very pointed and so right--if Catherine had waited, how happy she and Bramwell would have been.

Wasn't it nice to hear that Barnabas and Josette DID have a wonderful marriage, at least in this band of time?  Given the hell they went through in RT, one can suppose that Angelique never appeared in this time band, or if she did, she might have ended up as Daphne and Catherine's mother, given how much Catherine resembles Angelique.  Josette speaks of making mistakes after Barnabas' death.  Keep this in mind, it is very relevant to later events.

Excellent episode, very well done.

1219 - Here, my friends is the infamous "lost" episode of DARK SHADOWS, narrated by Lara Parker, using still photos from previous shows and an audio track provided by a blind fan.  I wish I'd known they were looking for it, since I, too, have it on a cassette.  Since Ms. Parker essentially tells us what will happen, then we see it unfold with the voice track and still pictures, I skip over her narration and utilize only the aural track, as I consider it redundant and time-consuming to do both.  It's a weird experience, and some dialogue is garbled, but I've done the best I can.
Carrie, asks Daphne what did you see?  Nothing, says Carrie, just Bramwell.  Whose grave was he standing before? asks Daphne.  I told you, I couldn't see it, he was standing in front of it, says Carrie.  You're not telling me the truth, says Daphne.  I am, believe me, insists Carrie.  Then why did you react the way you did?--you must have seen something!  It's just that I was startled when the vision disappeared, says Carrie, near tears.  Look at me, says Daphne--you're not the kind of person who can tell a lie--I want to know whose name was on that tombstone.  No, you don't want to know, sobs Carrie.  It was mine, wasn't it? asks Daphne.  Yes, says Carrie, I'm sorry, but I don't know what it means!  I must mean something, says Daphne.  Maybe if you marry Bramwell right away and leave Collinsport, nothing will happen to you, suggests Carrie.  Nothing is going to happen to me, insists Daphne.  I'm so sorry, says Carrie--you asked me to help you and I never thought it would be like that.  It's all right, says Daphne, what you saw was wrong, you must not worry about it--do you understand?--it's going to be all right.

Collinwood drawing room - storming, as usual - I expected you back long before now, Morgan, says Catherine.  I've been to the police, he says, I did everything I could to keep Kendrick from going to them, but he wouldn't listen to me--he's convinced Gabriel killed his sister.  Have they found Gabriel? she asks.  No, the police and Kendrick are out searching the woods now, he says, but I doubt they'll have much luck in this weather--where's Quentin?  Flora said he went out to look, too, says Catherine.  Of all the people Gabriel had to threaten, it had to be Kendrick, laments Morgan--(can't hear, perhaps he's saying if his brother hadn't gone into the room) Gabriel wouldn't have killed anybody--the question is now that if they find Gabriel, he'll be charged with murder--and Kendrick's testimony is enough to convince them--do you realize that, Catherine?  Yes, she says.  If only he would have gone into that room, says Morgan--he'd be better off dead now--we'd all be better off!--Catherine, have you been listening to me?  Not really, she admits--something happened while you were away, something very disturbing--Daphne came here--she told me that she and Bramwell are going to be married!

Daphne must have taken lose (he means leave) of her senses, says Morgan.  She's been taken in, asserts Catherine--don't you understand, Bramwell is just marrying her out of spite for all of us?  Have you spoken to Daphne? he asks--couldn't you make her see the folly of what she was doing?  I tried, she says. but all I succeeded in doing was making Daphne angry--Bramwell's got her so deluded, she won't listen to anyone.  Have they set a date? he asks.  No, they didn't say anything about a date, says Catherine, but I have a feeling it will be soon--there must be something we can do to stop them, for Daphne's sake if nothing else.  Darling, he says, there's nothing you can do--your sister is a grown woman--she can do anything she wants within the law.  You're certainly taking this very lightly, she accuses.  I'm looking at this the only way I possibly can, he says--realistically--frankly, I don't have time to worry about Daphne and Bramwell.  I think it is a very serious problem, says Catherine.  I must find Gabriel before he becomes violent again, says Morgan, ignoring her, I must still deal with the curse--if we can find some way of stopping it, we might not have to go through that lottery again--we have one clue we didn't have before--we think a man named James Forsythe had something to do with starting the curse back in 1680.  Your attitude is infuriating! she cries.  What? he asks.  My sister is about to make a tragic mistake, and all you can think about it that lottery! cries Catherine.  Furious, Morgan says, my only obligation is to my family, not your sister!  Doesn't it disturb you that she's about to ruin her life? demands Catherine.  Of course it does, but I have no control over it, and neither do you! shouts Morgan.  This marriage must be stopped, she says.  I am getting tired of hearing you say that, he says, in fact, your reaction to this is beginning to disturb me--the way you're taking all this, it makes me wonder what really is disturbing you.  Say what you mean, she orders.  Very well--is it Daphne's future you're so concerned about, he asks, or are you having second thoughts of what might have been with Bramwell?  Are you implying that I'm jealous? she asks.  I'm not implying anything, he says, but the fact remains that every time there is a crisis involving Bramwell, you seem to have the most EXTRAORDINARY emotional feelings!  Well I am sorry that you feel that way, she says, and I'm also sorry you can't share in my compassion for my sister!--I might have expected a reaction like that from Bramwell, but I didn't expect it from you!  (And I suppose she leaves the room.)

Old House - a fire crackles in the fireplace - Daphne, asks Bramwell, when did you come in?  Just a few minutes ago, she says.  Have you had time to think about your answer? he asks.  It's all I've been doing, she says, just walking and thinking. Something tells me you need more time, he says--let me take you home, and tomorrow morning, you can tell me your answer.  No, I'll tell you now, she says, and besides that, I don't want to go home right now.  Something's wrong, he guesses.  Yes, she says, something strange happened this afternoon, something rather frightening.  Tell me about it, he says.

Collinwood - 12:40 - Morgan answers the door--it's Carrie, who asks for Quentin.  He's gone to the village, says Morgan--isn't it a little late for you to be out?  Yes, she says, I didn't want to come out in the storm, but I just had to see Quentin.  Come in and warm up, he says--what's so important it couldn't wait until tomorrow morning?  I was down in the cellar of the cottage, looking through some old trunks, she says, my father always meant to do it but never did--I found an old dusty book, and this fell from the--pages--she hands him a letter addressed to James Forsythe.
Carrie is upset by her vision of Daphne's death and doesn't want to tell her about it.  Daphne finally convinces her to admit that she saw HER tombstone.  Carrie says she doesn't know what it means, but thinks Daphne should marry Bramwell and leave Collinsport.  Carrie is crying as she apologizes, but Daphne assures her she is sure her vision was wrong.

Collinwood - Morgan tells Catherine he went to the police about Gabriel; Kendrick had gone to them, convinced Gabriel killed his sister.  Why did Gabriel have to threaten Kendrick, of all people.  If they find Gabriel, he will be charged with murder.  Kendrick's testimony will be enough to convict him.  He should have gone into the room, Morgan says; he'd be better off dead now.  Morgan notices, finally, that Catherine seems distracted and asks her what's wrong.  She explains she is worried about Bramwell's marriage proposal to Daphne.  (Daphne has taken LOSE of her senses?)  She knows Bramwell is marrying Daphne out of spite, but she couldn't talk her out of it.  The marriage must be stopped.  Morgan points out that Daphne is of age and may do as she wishes, which shocks Catherine, and she's also not happy with the fact that he seems uninterested in what is happening with Daphne.  Morgan doesn't have time to worry about Daphne and Bramwell; he has to deal with the curse and find Gabriel.  He tells Catherine a man named James Forsythe started the curse, and...Catherine shouts at him that his attitude is infuriating.  Her sister is about to make a huge mistake, and all he can think about is the lottery!  His obligation is to his family, not her sister, he shouts.  Neither of them have any control over it.  Her reaction disturbs him--is it because Daphne is marrying Bramwell?  Is she having second thoughts?  She reacts so strongly every time Bramwell is mentioned.  She is irate at his lack of compassion for her sister, which is something she expected from Bramwell, but not him.  She runs out, crying.

At the Old House, Daphne speaks to Bramwell.  She tells him she's been pondering his proposal a great deal, and he suggests she needs more time.  No, she says, she doesn't want to go home, not yet.  Something frightening has happened.  They sit down to discuss it.

Collinwood - Morgan answers the door--Carrie, who has found a letter at the cottage addressed to James Forsythe.  Morgan reads it: "I am so desperate to see you again, I shall try to get to the cottage tonight, I fear HE might have become suspicious.  If it becomes impossible, know that I will be with you in spirit and love you with all my heart."  Signed, A.  You say you found this in the cellar of the old cottage? asks Morgan--maybes Forsythe used to live in the cottage and used it as a trysting place.  I told Quentin when he came to see me that James Forsythe had once lived on the estate, she says.  Is there anything else you can tell me about that note? he asks.  No more than I told Quentin, she replies.  Concentrate very hard on the note and see if you can figure out who A is, says Morgan.  In my first vision, there was a woman, says Carrie, but her back was always towards me--perhaps that will happen again.  Will you try? he asks.  I have to have the letter, she says.  He offers to get it for her, but there suddenly is a gust of wind.  The lights go out and the letter bursts into flames!  What's happening? cries Carrie.  I don't know, says Morgan.  The chandelier sways.  Don't be frightened, he urges--I'll get a candle.  I felt someone touch me! says Carrie, a cold hand on my cheek.  There's no one here but us, he says.  We're not alone, says Carrie--there's a cruel, evil spirit here with us!

Old House - Surely you don't believe all that nonsense Carrie has told you, chides Bramwell--she's a young foolish girl who's trying to give the impression she has psychic powers, but it's pretense and you know it.  I tried not to let her upset me, says Daphne, but it's hard to disregard something like that.  You're young, healthy and vital, he says, and if I have anything to do with it, you're going to live a long, happy life.  I know you mean that, she says.  And you still have reservations? he asks, chuckling--have you changed your mind about us?  No matter what the future holds, she says, you would never do anything to hurt me.  They kiss.

Collinwood - The next day - Morgan answers the door to Bramwell and Daphne.  What do you want? asks Morgan.  To see Flora, says Bramwell, may we come in?--she is in, isn't she?.  Yes, may I ask what you want with her? asks Morgan.  Since she is the mistress of the family, says Bramwell, Daphne and I felt that she should know.  Know what? asks Morgan.  "That Daphne and I are now man and wife," announces Bramwell proudly.  Catherine overhears and promptly faints.

While the doctor tends to Catherine in the drawing room, Morgan, Daphne and Bramwell anxiously wait in the foyer to hear the diagnosis.  Why hasn't the doctor hasn't told us anything? frets Bramwell.  He'll come out when he's ready! yells Morgan.  I still can't understand what happened to her, worries Daphne.  It's this house, says Bramwell, and the tension she's been living under.  Please, Bramwell, says Daphne.  Listen to your wife, advises Morgan angrily, I'm in no mood for your remarks this evening--in fact, I think it would be advisable for you to wait in the study--I'll tell you when the doctor comes out.  I prefer to wait here, insists Bramwell.  In this house, says Morgan, you do as I ask!  Bramwell, please, let's wait in the study, urges Daphne.  I assume they exit the foyer as ordered by Morgan.

Drawing room - While I know it seems highly unusual, Doctor, says Catherine, I must insist you do as I say--I have my own reasons.  I can't imagine what they are, says the doctor (played by the once-Inspector Hamilton in PT).  Nevertheless, you will tell my husband exactly what I told you to tell him, she orders.  Very well, he says.  In the foyer, he reports to Morgan, Mrs. Collins is physically fine, just exhausted--no need to worry, nothing wrong with her--she's physically sound, and you may see her now.  Morgan joins his wife.  I'm sorry I scared you, darling, she says.  Morgan, puzzled, says, the doctor told me there's nothing wrong with you.  He's the doctor, he ought to know, she says.  But you collapsed outside, he reminds her.  Don't make more of it than it is, she says--it was just a dizzy spell, that's all.  You never had a dizzy spell before, he says. There are a lot of good reasons, don't you think? she points out--Daphne's marriage to Bramwell, for instance--I've been so worried about her--and then there are other things--the lottery, for instance, I've been thinking how someone is going to have to spend another terrible night in that room--then our argument last night had me very upset.  I'm very sorry about that, he says.  You mustn't be, she says--I was just thinking about it and I decided you were right--I wasn't being very realistic--now don't you worry about me, because I'm going to be all right.  She rises.  You should stay on the sofa and rest, he says.  The doctor said it was perfectly all right for me to be up and around, she says--are Daphne and Bramwell still here?  Yes, waiting in the study, he says.  Then I should do the right thing and congratulate them, she says.  She sounds dangerously close to tears.

(Live tape, taken from the opening of the next episode)  Later:  Catherine appears at the Old House.  When Bramwell opens the door, they gaze at each other a moment.  Where is Daphne? she asks.  Bramwell brusquely says, you've offered you congratulations; let the matter rest there.  I can't, she says--where is she?  Daphne has gone into the village, he says.  Then may I come in? she asks--it's you I must see, and speak with--alone.  She enters the foyer.  Not looking at him, she says, "Before, when I fainted, the doctor told everyone it was just a dizzy spell and that's all--he did not tell the truth--the truth is, I'm going to have a child--and the child is yours."
Bramwell stares at her, astonished.

NOTES:  DARK SHADOWS was on the air just shy of five years.  The words Catherine speaks to Bramwell in this episode are heard only here, this once.  Other soaps were rampant with babies, illegitimate and otherwise, but this was a one and only out of wedlock kid for DS.  "The truth is, I'm going to have a child--and the child is yours" says Catherine, her voice breaking.  Trust me, Bramwell looks as stunned as I felt the first time I heard that spoken, hearing of DARK SHADOWS first and only illegitimate baby.  Imagine if those words had been spoken to Barnabas by Angelique, what would have ensued!

I suppose, thinking back, I should have heard this as DARK SHADOW'S death knell.  For them to have an illegitimate child for the very first time in history. . .and yet, I had no idea that Jonathan Frid had decided he never wanted to play Barnabas again.  I pictured this story going on, them having the baby (a baby on DS, perhaps a real one, not a blanket!) and. . .well, it never came to pass, and I always regretted that.  In the midst of all the supernatural happenings, something this NORMAL seemed so very special and exciting.

This was a unique experience in DS watching, and Lara looks lovely, but as I said, the entire thing was redundant.  I sure hope that someday, a miracle will happen and we will get to see this on tape, complete.

A cool, stoic Lara Parker introduces the "lost" episode of DARK SHADOWS.  We are very fortunate that only one ep of our favorite show was unavailable in either kinescope or tape, but it's a good thing they were in the habit of showing the end of each episode in the beginning of the next day's--because this show ended with one of the most devastating revelations in the show's history.  I didn't much care for the way they did this, having Lara Parker tell us what was going to happen, then show us, via still pictures and the audio from the original show, provided by a blind fan.  It seemed redundant.

Getting back to the story, now that Bramwell has married Daphne (and what made her go through with it after Carrie's vivid vision?), everything is in place for the tragedy that is sure to ensue.  We can be pretty certain that Catherine knows for sure that Morgan can't be her baby's father, although it's possible they have been intimate and using protection, which I've been told did exist even this far back.  How this will affect Bramwell's new marriage to Daphne is anyone's guess.  Great stuff!

Love, Robin