Author Topic: What Would A Barnabas Sequel To HoDS Have Been Like?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: What Would A Barnabas Sequel To HoDS Have Been Like?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
I would imagine she was under contract at least through 1969 since they were able to "call" her back (from her African "safari" or whatever it was) to portray Kitty during the later part of the 1897 storyline.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure her contract had already expired by then. I thinking it expired around the time they killed off Rachel. And that would make sense not only if she had a three year contract, but it would explain how she could have taken such a long leave to go Africa. And if that is the case, chances are she came back to work in September of '69 simply because she was loyal to DC, not because she was contractually obligated.

(And an initial three year contract for the original cast would also jibe with how David Henesy was also no longer under contract when they shot hoDS. Hence his threat to DC that unless they were paying him the same amount that they were paying the rest of the supporting cast in the film, he didn't need to do the film because he could have just gone back to school.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
I don't know just how the legalities played out but as we've discussed in the past, it would seem that MOST of the DS cast were not actually under contract.  Which is why people such as John Karlen, Clarice, Thayer, et al. came and went.  Both Nancy and Louis took occasional breaks to do theatre, as did Humbert.  All of this helps explain why Frid felt he was getting shafted after a certain point because everyone else had been allowed to come and go and by the Summer of 1969, he hadn't had a break of any kind in two years.  Not only that, he was often made to do those dog and pony show weekend appearances in places like Peoria, Teaneck, Baton Rouge etc.  They worked him really hard. 

I always thought that when KLS came back to NYC from her time away, she dropped by the studio just to say hi to whoever happened to be working then.  It's possible Dan did set up a formal meeting via her agent, of course. 

When she left again in '70 to move to Paris, according to her original memoirs, he actually told her that if she did leave, she would never work again.  lol.

Of course as we've seen many times before, KLS's memories, even from the 1980s, need to be weighed against other recorded facts... but I can really imagine DC having said this to her.  No doubt while putting the golf ball around the office in true Sixties exec style.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
I imagine at some point Curtis locked Frid into some sort of long term contract. probably Grayson as well...

several other prominent cast members were on contract. we all know Joan had a highly specialized contract that granted her "star billing" (long after it had become clear someone else was the "star" of the show) as well as those annual six week vacations (resulting in her characters' frequent hospitalizations and entombments). Alexandra also had a long term contract that she needed to be legally extricated from during her pregnancy. I get the impression several original actors had two year contracts at the outset as actors like Joel and David Ford began to decamp in mid to late 1968.

I also assumed that in addition to being some sort of personal favorite of Curtis Roger Davis had a two year contract as one loathsome character after another pooped up like a weed for two years. [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Well, Grayson got some weeks off in '68 to do END OF THE ROAD (filmed in Great Barrington, MA, out in the beautiful Berkshires), and in '69 to do ADAM AT SIX A.M.  In '70 she got release time to do an episode of NIGHT GALLERY and then, towards the end of the year, a family trip out to Ohio to visit Sam's family. 

If you check through a publication from the 1960s called THEATRE WORLD, you can see photos from some of the plays that Louis did when he had his sabbaticals.  Even Lara and Selby did plays or films on their breaks from the show.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
wasn't Grayson also missing for some weeks around 1969/70 when she had a little "work" done?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Please stay on topic. Thanks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »
since one of the other moderators was actively participating in the conversation it seemed sort of open.

and in terms of a potential sequel to HoDS (which would have been filmed in late 1970 or 1971) who in the company of players was still tied to the production contractually seemed sort of relevant...

but i'll drop it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:59 AM »
in terms of a potential sequel to HoDS (which would have been filmed in late 1970 or 1971) who in the company of players was still tied to the production contractually seemed sort of relevant...

That's definitely relevant. But I suspect dom was referring to Grayson's "work", which wouldn't really be.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »
If a HoDS sequel/prequel had been set in the 1790's, I imagine Lara Parker would've played Angelique, and maybe Jeremiah would've been played by David Selby.   Phyllis Wickes?  Who better but Kate Jackson.  I could see John Karlen doing Nathan Forbes since he was such a versatile actor and co-acted splendidly with Nancy Barrett.  Could anyone imagine them being husband and wife in PT70?  They did it to perfection.

Gerard