Author Topic: WB DS Cast Wish List  (Read 2817 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
WB DS Cast Wish List
« on: December 14, 2003, 06:45:39 PM »
On December 4, the Knoxville News Sentinel in Knoxville, Tennessee featured a column with a cast wish list for the possible new Warner Bros. Dark Shadows series.

The article is no longer available on the KnoxNews web site, but you can access Google's cached version of the page.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:WB DS Cast Wish List
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 07:12:55 PM »
Thanks so much for posting about this!

Interesting choices (if a bit young in some instances - but then, we are talking about a WB version [b003]). At first I wondered what the author was smoking to suggest Emma Caulfield (Buffy's Anya) for Angelique! But the more I think about it, the more interesting that possibility could actually be. Ditto Milo Ventimiglia (formerly Gilmore Girls' Jake) as a younger version of Quentin.

Of course, the best thing about this article is that, unlike its tvguide.com counterpart, it actually refers to a WB DS as a "proposed remake."

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 01:34:09 AM »
Regarding the character of Willie Loomis, how about casting TRADING SPACES handyhunk Ty Pennington?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 03:10:36 AM »
Nick Stahl, who played Ben Hawkins on HBO's "Carnivale" would be perfect as Willie....don't you think, Midnite?  ;) ....but it was renewed for a second year so that ruins THAT idea.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 03:50:04 AM »
Only ONE casting I consider really important:  I think that the casting of Liz Stoddard will be key to the show's success.  It must be an actress who's a BIG TV name who can deliver an audience.  One big problem with the '91 series was that no one from the ABC series was among the cast- there has to be a link to the old series to satisfy the fans of the original series.

In short, there is an actress who is a BIG TV name who can deliver the ratings with a history of three hit shows over the years and is a 1966-71 cast member.

For the role of Liz Stoddard I nominate ......

(big drumroll, please)

KATE JACKSON!!!!!!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 03:54:08 AM »
Nick Stahl, who played Ben Hawkins on HBO's "Carnivale" would be perfect as Willie....don't you think, Midnite?  ;)

Oh good choice!  He's done well in a handful of diverse roles.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 05:39:16 AM »
Interesting choices. I hope to hell that Milo Ventimiglia is not part of the cast, however. I was doing backflips when they wrote him off GG, I do not want him on my TV screen ever again.

Also, I like Eden Riegel just fine on AMC, where she's currently playing the under 21-year-old Bianca Montgomery, but a)don't think she has the range to play Julia and b)she's too damn young.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 06:39:11 PM »
 8)  You know, depending on who they cast as Barnabas, I have often thought Faye Dunaway would make a great Dr. Hoffman.
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 07:36:07 PM »
I can't offer a single suggestion for any character on a new DS beyond the one I've already made (Nick Stahl as Willie Loomis, which cannot happen)......but I do have one suggestion.

It would be nothing short of thrilling if they took a huge cue from the HBO series "Carnivale" in one respect:  instead of the cookie-cutter cuties that are so ubiquitous on TV today, try casting people who look like real people.  "Carnivale" has a very large cast, and not one actor among them could be called conventionally beautiful or handsome.  Many of them have the sort of interesting "character" faces that we remember from old movies and TV shows....instead of the bland 16-year-old model look so favoured today.

I would consider that a true homage to the original DS, because DS had more than it's share of wonderful character actors, with unconventional looks.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 06:45:16 AM »
I love Eden Reigel but she is WAAAAAAAAAY too young for Julia. Grayson was (I think) 49 in 1967, and Eden will be 23 in fall 2004. What was this Terry Morrow guy on when he wrote that?! Here is my insight...

ELIZABETH COLLINS STODDARD
I consider Liz to be the main female role. She was the 60s matriarch of the Collins clan and Joan also played the matriarchs of the past Collins too, so we must get a type like that. I know she has an English accent, but what the hell I say Joan Collins makes a great Liz. And the name irony is there...

BARNABAS COLLINS
Barnabas must be played by a handsome man who is clever in his acting. Someone like "All My Children"'s Vincent Irizarry. I would suggest AMC's Michael E Knight but I'd just crack up seeing him as a vampire.

VICTORIA WINTERS
Vicki must be played by a raven-haired beauty and for this role, I'd suggest Eden Reigel. Eden has the beauty and is a great actress. She would be able to pull of Vicki very well.

CAROLYN STODDARD
Now this one I'm stumped on. Heck, I'll just say Paris Hilton as a joke.

DR. JULIA HOFFMAN
A Julia actress should be slightly beautiful but modestly so. I think Frances Fisher is a good choice. Some might know her has Rose's mother from "Titanic."

MAGGIE EVANS
One name comes to mine: Rebecca Budig of AMC. Great actress and is almost as beautiful as KLS. I think she'd be great.
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol

Offline DSA

• "You know what you are, Willie Loomis? You're stupid!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 03:58:44 PM »
I think Eden Reigel would be great as Vicki.

Elizabeth: Marj Dusay (GL, ex AMC)
Carolyn: Lindsay Mckeon (GL)
Barnabas: Vincent Irizarry (good suggestion All My Shadows)

All My Shadows, ur from the SON board, right?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 04:10:31 PM »
LOVE the 'willolyn" picture, DSA.... ;)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 05:35:05 PM »
DR. JULIA HOFFMAN
A Julia actress should be slightly beautiful but modestly so. I think Frances Fisher is a good choice. Some might know her has Rose's mother from "Titanic."

Hmm, I like this idea. Frances Fisher is a very good actress; she played Lucille Ball in a TV docudrama about ten years or so ago,  and while the movie wasn't that great, you could hardly tell she wasn't Lucy. She might just be righter'n anyone for Julia.[/color]

--Mark

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 06:27:12 PM »
Frances Fisher would be an excellent choice for Julia.

Too bad she's still attached to The Lion's Den (though cancellation of that show is pretty much a certainty).

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 07:43:15 PM »
All My Shadows, ur from the SON board, right?

Yep, that's me. Now that I think about it, Marj Dusay would be good as Liz. She played such an evil woman on AMC and is such a female dog on GL, it'd be nice to see her be moral...

Mark, I saw the movie you're thinking of too. It was called "Lucy and Desi: Before the Laughter." I didn't really like it either, but Frances was very convincing as Lucy! Maurice Benard on the other hand as Desi......let's just say he was as good back then as he is currently on GH...
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol