Author Topic: #1205/1206: Robservations 12/12/03: Wedding Interruptus  (Read 1266 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1205/1206: Robservations 12/12/03: Wedding Interruptus
« on: December 11, 2003, 11:29:35 AM »
1205 - Collinwood - Julia comes downstairs--Morgan, have you seen Melanie?--I wanted to talk to her about something.  Morgan can tell something is wrong, but Julia denies it.  She's locked in her room, he reminds her--you should have gone there--she isn't there, is she? he demands--she's mad and wandering through the halls, isn't she?--is that it?--is she wandering again with a knife?  I'm afraid she is, says Julia--I didn't want to tell you, but I have to--I never dreamed anything like this would happen--we meant no harm.  Who are you talking about? asks Morgan.  Your mother and I, explains Julia--Stella did not leave Collinwood--your father tried to...he wasn't himself--that monstrous room!  Julia please tell me! he insists.  Flora and I discovered Justin threatening Stella--if we hadn't gone in there that very minute, he would have killed her--WE saved her!--but we couldn't allow her to stay in this house, not knowing what she knew about your father, and heaven knows what else--so we locked her in the tower.  You WHAT? cries Morgan.  We didn't mean her harm! exclaims Julia.  You must let her out! says Morgan.  We can't, says Julia.  This is outrageous, he says--have you lost your mind, too?  She's dead, says Julia, strangled (I thought it was a stab wound?) to death.  And knowing that, you still insist Melanie isn't mad, says Morgan.  We don't know Melanie had anything to do with this, insists Julia.  Melanie IS mad, insists Morgan, and I'm going to look for her and have her committed.  I won't let you, says Julia.  I can do it and I will do it, says Morgan.  Whatever involvement Melanie may have had, it's not her fault, says Julia.  Then will you please tell me who is to blame? asks Morgan, peeved.  The spirit in this house, says Julia.  Melanie is dangerous! says Morgan.  Everyone in the family is dangerous, asserts Julia--how will you possibly explain Stella?--everyone thinks she's out of the house.  Except her brother, Morgan reminds her.  Yes but in time he would come to believe that, too, she says--we've got no choice--we've got to find Melanie, and help her, however we can--but first we must dispose of...  The body? asks Morgan.  We can't do it, says Julia, we need your help--you're the only one who can help us--what if the police come and find out how your father became?--what if they take me and Flora away?--you have GOT to help us, I beg you!  He agrees.  Very relieved, she thanks him.  If only there were one slight chance of happiness in our lives, he laments.  What about Catherine, says Julia, you have her!  Will I have her tomorrow at this time? he asks--will I have to lead her into my world of madness like my mother did my father?--the lottery?--what a tragedy--and I'M worried about the family name--Julia, I want you to find Melanie--I'm going to the tower--no one will ever know about Stella, I promise.  He hurries off.

Catherine sits in her cottage, staring into the fire.  Someone knocks at her door, but won't respond when she asks who it is.   "Morgan?" she calls.  Bramwell opens the door; they gaze at each other for a few moments.  Go away, she orders.  No, he says solemnly, I remember what happened yesterday between us, and so do you.  Despite what happened yesterday, she says, I don't want to see you.  You said you loved me, he says.  I did, she says--once--no more--I love Morgan.  He turns her around to face him, touches her cheek, her throat, with gentle, searching fingers.  "A lover's touch," he says softly, "only a few hours ago, there was nothing you wanted more than mine--has that changed?"  He runs his fingers over her cheek, exploring familiar territory.   "Can that change?" he asks--"I love you, Catherine, I love you very much."  He moves in for a kiss, but their lips barely touch.  "Don't be gentle," she pleads--"frighten me. . .threaten me. . .make me run away from you, but please, don't be gentle with me.".  She turns and, with an impassioned moan, drags his face to hers, frenziedly kissing him.  He wraps his arms around her; they embrace and kiss with growing fervor.  Believing he has her at passion's precipice, he starts to propel her into her bedroom.  They just about make it through the door when she pulls away and returns to the living room.  No, Bramwell, please don't, she says--you know me so well, better than I know myself--you ARE a demon--and the demons in me are in league with you
--but I won't have it--get out of here!--just get out--I love Morgan, I'm going to marry him, do you understand that?-- (screaming) I don't want you anymore!  To this, Bramwell quietly replies, "You want me more than anyone--and you always will--I will be back, Catherine, because you will want me back."  He leaves.  She is breathing heavily, trembling.

Melanie lies unconscious by the lottery room doors (which are decorated in crowns).  She comes to and, with difficulty, stands.  Realizing where she is, she gasps with fear, backing away.  What am I doing here? she asks herself, how did I get here?  She runs away.  The camera pans to the doors of the room.

Drawing room - Well, Morgan? Julia asks.  The grisly disposal of Stella's body is done, he assures her--did you find Melanie?  No, replies Julia.  The body is gone, sighs Morgan--Stella was an innocent, harmless girl--she belongs to us now--and will reside forever at Collinwood (that is chilling).  Melanie enters.  Morgan rises from the sofa, furious--will you ever stop? What? she asks, truly not understanding.  We know what you did with her--Stella, says Morgan.  What about Stella, I know nothing about her, insists Melanie.  He knows about Stella, says Julia.  What does he know? asks Melanie--what about Stella?  That you murdered her! accuses Morgan, and that you tried to murder Catherine!
What are you talking about? asks Melanie.  Stella is dead, murdered, says Julia.  She can't be, I was just talking with her, says Melanie--she was so much alive!  Really? asks Morgan---was she alive when you were in her room?  Morgan, leave me alone with Melanie, commands Julia.  Gladly, says Morgan--she's your problem--and mother's--how long is it going to take before you realize my solution is the only way out?  He leaves.  What does he mean--his solution?--asks Melanie--he thinks I killed her--do you think I did it?  I don't know, says Julia, but if you were involved, it wasn't your fault.  Then you do think I might have had something to do with it?--Melanie puts her hand to her forehead, near tears--no, don't answer, I know you do--you may be right--because I can't remember things!--I can't stand it very much longer--why would I want to kill Stella?  You probably didn't, says Julia--you said you were in the room with her.  Yes, but I only went there to ask her to forgive you and Mama--I didn't murder her, Julia, I left her alive!--tell me I didn't do it!  What did you do when you left her room? asks Julia.  I went to my room and stayed there! insists Melanie, I didn't until just now, when I found myself outside the room where Papa went mad--and I don't remember going there at all.  Do you remember being locked in your room before the funeral? asks Julia.  No, says Melanie.  Do you know your room is locked now? asks Julia.  Now?--I was locked in? asks Melanie--but now I'm here and the room is still locked--she covers her face, shoulders shaking--oh, Julia!  Her aunt slips an arm around her--let me help you, Melanie--try to remember, she says gently.  I want to remember, says Melanie, maybe Morgan is right--maybe I did do it--did I kill Stella--did I?  She goes into her aunt's comforting embrace.

7:35 - Morgan answers Catherine's knock at the door.  I'm very glad you're here, she says.  He notices how agitated she is.  I need you to hold me, she says.  I need it, too, he agrees, and they move into each other's arms for a hug.  Do you love me? she asks.  That's a silly question, he says, I love you more than anything in the world.  And you know I love you, don't you? she asks.   Yes, he says.  Then please, let's not wait until tomorrow, she says--will you marry me tonight?  He looks at her, not comprehending.

Looking at her eager, anxious face, Morgan is thrilled--do you really mean it--tonight?  Yes, she says, from my heart--she hugs him again.  Oh my darling, of course we can be married tonight, he assures her--we've had the license for days!--forgive me, I hope you don't mind me asking this--is there anything wrong?--for the reason you suddenly came here this evening?  Nothing, she says evasively, I've just been home, alone, and I was thinking about you--about what you're going through, what you must continue to go through, and I thought to myself Morgan needs me, now, more than ever--I must go to him and help him--I love you, darling--she kisses him.  I love you, too, he says--we'll get married tonight, I'll call the minister--and we'll take the black mood of this house and turn it into one of the brightest ever.  I want it, you know I do, she says, but please can we make it simple and quiet--just a witness if we need one, but just you and me?  Anything you want, he says.  Before leaving to get the minister, he asks, because of everything you know about this house, and the lottery, are you sure you want to do this?  She runs into his arms--I'm more sure than I've ever been of anything, she says--yes, yes, darling.  They kiss.

Melanie joins Kendrick, who awaits her at the gazebo.  I was afraid you weren't going to come, he says.  Whatever made you think that? she asks.  Probably because I wanted you to too much, he says.  I've done what you asked about Stella, says Melanie, not facing him, and it's true about her.  Are you absolutely certain? he asks.  Yes, says Melanie, I've asked Mama and Julia, she did leave Collinwood two weeks ago and without notice.  They could be lying to you, too, says Kendrick.  But they're not, she says-- I'm sorry, I was hoping I could be of more help to you--that's all there is to say, so there's no need for you to come to Collinwood anymore
--I wish for your sake none of this had happened--I know this must be terribly painful for you--she begins to cry.  Kendrick takes her in his arms and holds her, comforting her--and then kisses her.  She responds eagerly at first, then draws back.  Please don't, she says.  What's wrong? he asks.  Don't come back here, she says, ever again--ever!--please!.  She runs off, leaving a stunned Kendrick alone in the gazebo.

Melanie returns to Collinwood's drawing room, crying.  Bramwell calls out her name.  I didn't know anyone else was here, she sobs, covering her face with her hand.  Can I help you? he asks.  No, no one can, really, she replies--you know about me too?  I know you're a very lovely young woman, he says quizzically.  Do you also know I'm mad? she asks.  Are you? he asks.  Yes, she says.  You don't seem to be, he says (he's so good with her)--anymore than the rest of us.  She laughs--thank you for pretending, she says--I always thought they were just being cruel when they wouldn't let me go and lead my own life--but now I know they were just trying to protect me, from myself.  What do you mean, tell me? he asks.  I want to, she says, I need to tell someone who doesn't know.  Morgan enters--Bramwell, he says, it's nice to see you--are you here for something important?--"You must be."  No, says Bramwell, I just wanted to tell Flora my mother has come back from Boston--she asked my mother to go up there to look in the archives for something, and she did.  I'll tell mother, says Morgan--oh, and if I forget, Melanie, would you tell her, please?  Melanie shoots him a dirty look.  Go to your room, Melanie, orders Morgan.  Bramwell's forehead creases.  Yes, she says.  Go on now, says Morgan.  Bramwell, she says.  Whatever you want to say to Bramwell can wait until tomorrow, insists Morgan.  We'll talk, the sad-faced girl tells Bramwell, very soon.  I hope so, he says, I want you to tell me what you were gong to tell me.  She leaves.  I was in the village this afternoon, says Morgan, and someone told him that your ship from the Orient may be coming in soon.  I hope so, says Bramwell.  Yes, you must, smiles Morgan--if it does, you will be a wealthy man at last.  Yes, says Bramwell.  How odd life is, grins Morgan--I wish you luck with the ship.
Do you? asks Bramwell, suspicious--why?--it's so unlike you to be interested in my activities.  Well that's been wrong of me, says Morgan, a man must have something--it's time you had what you wanted (since I'm getting what you want, unspoken)--now, if you'll excuse me, I'm expecting someone--oh, tomorrow might be quite different for you--I mean when your ship comes in.  He closes the double doors, laughing--yes, quite different, chuckles Morgan, leaving Bramwell mystified.

9:10 - Catherine, accompanied by Julia, comes downstairs, dressed not in white, but a lovely multi-colored, mostly-orange gown with what looks like marshmallows on the sleeves.  I know how much Morgan wants this, says Julia, but are you certain that it's the right thing to do?--knowing what you do know--I know you must love Morgan very much, but are you sure it's the right thing to do?  I've never been more sure of anything in my life, Catherine assures her--thank you for your concern.  They enter the drawing room, where the minister and Morgan wait.  Come forward--we shall begin, says the minister.  Julia closes the doors.  "Your love has brought you here, before God, to be joined together in the bonds of holy matrimony, says the minister--if any man knows any reason why these two should not be joined together..."
Right on cue, Bramwell enters the room.  Catherine's eyes widen.

NOTES:  I don't know how Catherine can marry Morgan, especially given the weird situation at Collinwood, after that near-seduction by Bramwell at her cottage.  It was so HOT! I can't blame Bramwell for trying, either, since Catherine did give in to him the previous day.

Poor Melanie.  Kendrick already seems to like her, and she let him kiss her, yet knowing she might have murdered Stella has to doom that relationship before it's even started.  Of course neither Melanie nor we know for sure she is the one, but it looks likely, doesn't it?  Who else?

Morgan was nasty, baiting Bramwell that way.  I believe Morgan loves Catherine, in his way, but I agree with Bramwell that he's spoiled and arrogant--and that he wants Catherine because his hated cousin does.  It was nice of Morgan to bury Stella (didn't Julia and Flora bury Trask themselves?), but what would Catherine have said/done if she knew about it.

I think Catherine wants to marry Morgan so quickly because she's afraid of her passion for Bramwell.

1206 - Catherine, says Bramwell, you and I will not end this way--"You will not marry Morgan!"  Bramwell! cries Catherine, unable to believe he's done this.  Pandemonium ensues as Morgan orders Bramwell out.  He does not love you, insists Bramwell, literally pushing Morgan from Catherine's side and grabbing her arm--this marriage is a mockery--show him how you feel for me--he begins to kiss her as she protests and fights him off.  Morgan and Bramwell get into a fist fight.  Bramwell sends Morgan falling to the floor, then grabs Catherine and says, you're coming with me!  No! she screams.  Bramwell, let go of Catherine, orders Morgan, and the two men get into it again.
I don't know how, but Morgan ends up falling and hitting his head.  What have you done? demands Catherine--I'm never going with you--never!  She runs to her unconscious fiance and screams at Bramwell, "I never want to see you again!"  You did what you came to, Bramwell, says Julia--there will be no wedding this night--get out!  Catherine, murmurs Bramwell desperately.  I never want to hear you say my name again, she says fiercely.  Catherine, he asks, could you really go through life hating me?  In disbelief, he leaves Catherine cradling Morgan in her arms.

Old House - Melanie and Josette, Bramwell's mother, talk at the Old House.  Melanie has come to see Bramwell.  Boston exhausts me, says Josette, who doesn't know where Bramwell is, three days there and all I can do is dream of the quiet of this house.  I was so sure he'd be here, says Melanie--I thought he left Collinwood.  It's important you see him isn't it? asks Josette.  Yes, perhaps, says Melanie, confused, it's so easy to talk to Bramwell, he's so understanding, yet so strong--"I'm not making any sense--but then, I never do."  Josette is dismayed to hear Melanie sees herself this way--I know you better than you think, says Josette--though Bramwell and I aren't in the Collins inner circle, I have always been interested in you--Justin, before he went mad, was an exceptional man--he loved you, and I have always been interested in those Justin loved.  I miss him so, laments Melanie--he would have told me--what I must know now--I've wanted to know for years, without having any reason--but now I do have a reason--and I must find out who my real parents were--are they mad, too, locked in a asylum somewhere?  This puzzles Josette.  I suppose there's no point in keeping this from you, says Melanie, I have attacks that I don't remember--when I'm having them, I'm not myself, but someone else.  My poor darling, murmurs Josette.  Insanity runs in families, explains Melanie, I know that--they blame it on my going into the room after Papa--they say I've had the attacks ever since then--but I don't believe that the room caused them--if Papa were here, he'd tell me the truth, if my mother and father were like this, he'd see that I have to know for my own sake--Cousin Josette, you were living here before Papa found me and adopted me, weren't you?  Yes, she says--my husband Barnabas had died just two years before.
Didn't Papa ever tell you who my real mother and father were? asks Melanie.  No, I don't think he ever told anyone, says Josette.  Melanie bursts into tears.  Whoever they were, I am sure you have nothing to worry about regarding your parentage, says Josette--please try to believe that.  Bramwell comes in.  Where have you been? she asks--Melanie came to talk to you.  Good, says Bramwell, I wanted to finish our conversation, and didn't think we ever could.  Why? asks Melanie.  From this day on, he says, I am not welcome at Collinwood, ever again.  Josette and Melanie regard him, dismayed.

Morgan mumbles, "Bramwell" and tries to rise from his bed.  Julia tries to stop him, ordering, stay in bed.  Morgan climbs out of bed, insisting, I must get to him.  Julia stands there, scared.

Catherine meets Morgan in the doorway and overhears Julia telling him not to go.  Where? asks Catherine.  To Bramwell, says Julia.  Oh, no, sit down, orders Catherine--I know how much you want to go to him, she says, kneeling at his feet, but you're in no condition to go to him now--we'll be married tomorrow!  He'll try and stop us again, says Morgan.  No he won't, says Catherine, we'll go away so he won't see us, take the carriage to a neighboring village.  Julia agrees.  You bless this union now, says Morgan, when you were so against it.  I didn't think it was the right time, says Julia.  Leave us alone, says Catherine.  Listen to Catherine, says Julia--perhaps she is what this family needs now--a woman with common sense.  She leaves.  We could have been married by now, says Morgan.  I know, says Catherine--what Bramwell did was unforgivable.  Did you give him any reason to do it? asks Morgan.  She doesn't answer.  I'm sorry, he says, I didn't mean it--I know you didn't (going to bed with him doesn't count, does it?)--he's a very persuasive man, I know that--I must make him leave Collinwood--after tonight, he must go.  You can't just force Bramwell to leave, points out Catherine--please forget about Bramwell.  How can I do that? he asks.  We'll marry, she says, ignore him--promise me you'll do nothing.  I can't promise that, he insists.  You can, now, she says--for the moment.  For this moment, he says, yes.  She smiles at him.

And when I saw the minister's carriage arriving, Bramwell explains to Melanie and Josette, I knew it was going to happen and I knew what I had to do.  Josette is upset--more bad blood between us and those at Collinwood!  I'm not going to apologize, says Bramwell, not even to you.  You love Catherine so much, says Melanie.  Do I? says Bramwell, I wonder--coming back here, I thought what an obsession she has become for me--is it love, or has it become hate?--if she can't be happy with me, do I simply make her happiness impossible?  I don't believe that, says Melanie.  You're so much like your father, Barnabas, laments Josette--"so full of dark feelings."  But he married the woman he loved, points out Bramwell.  Yes, she says.  Seven years ago, when I left, I should have taken you and Catherine with me, he says, but what a fool I was to let you talk me out of that--but you had to stay here, for reasons I never did understand.  There's certainly no point in going into them now, says Josette.  If I'd only taken Catherine with me, married her, what a different life I would have led, says Bramwell--but no, I thought I had to have position and money--that I'd get all those things and come back for her--oh, this yearning that I felt for her--it's still not gone--what did I accomplish by doing what I did tonight?--no matter what I do, I should have killed Morgan!  Bramwell! chides Josette.  You wouldn't have! says Melanie.  That is the only way it will end, opines Bramwell.

Julia sees the doctor out.  You see, Morgan, says Catherine, the doctor says you'll be fine.  Physically, at least, says Morgan angrily.  Stop brooding! orders Catherine.  He looks at her.  I'm sorry, she says, I have a headache.  He rises--perhaps you can get something for it, he suggests.  I'll go see if I can catch the doctor before he leaves, says Julia.  That won't be necessary, Catherine assures her.  Julia goes. You don't want one for tomorrow, points out Morgan.  You're right, says Catherine--Morgan, Bramwell won't be able to make us unhappy, not once we're married.  No, he agrees, he won't.  She leaves the room.  Morgan sits on the bed, brooding, then stands and determinedly leaves, checking first to make sure no one has seen him.

Old House - I'll hear no more talk of killing, Bramwell, says Josette--there have been quite enough tragedies between us and those at Collinwood.  Bramwell, angry, goes upstairs.  Josette, I wish one of us could help them, says Melanie.  What a nice girl you are, says Josette.  You can say that--after all I've told you? says Melanie, pathetically pleased--oh, I'm so glad I came here this evening--I'm very sorry about Bramwell, but I'm so glad we talked--we never have, you know, really.  I always knew we would someday, says Josette.  Did you? asks Melanie, delighted, I'm glad--she kisses Josette on the cheek.  Josette looks troubled.

Catherine returns to Morgan's room and finds him gone.  She calls to Julia, who immediately comes in and says, he couldn't have gone to the Old House--we were sitting in the drawing room, and would have seen him.  He must have gone the back way! screams Catherine.  Both women run out.

Old House - Bramwell sits brooding by the fire, silent.  You haven't asked me, says Josette, but I must say it--you must forget Catherine.  If I only could, he sighs.  But you must, she says--perhaps your life won't ever be what you want it to be, that's one of the things we learn--we can do without the things we most dearly desire.  Well if you made that adjustment, says Bramwell, I haven't, and I cannot.  But you'll have to, she insists.  Annoyed, he says, talking isn't going to help me make my decision.  No, she says, it probably won't--your emotions are too deep and uncontrollable--you never give up--you don't take after me in that respect.  Josette goes upstairs to bed.   Morgan comes in, brandishing a pistol.  Bramwell rises and says, "You have come to kill me, because you think that she loves you--well, you're wrong--she loves me and you know it."  You must not listen to her, says Morgan.  I know it's the truth! says Bramwell.
Or me, says Morgan--there is only one way to settle this--he strikes him across both cheeks with a glove, challenging  him to a duel.

Bramwell eagerly accepts the challenge.  The two men quickly make their plans--pistols will be the weapon, they will do this alone, dawn at the gazebo.  Bramwell advises against seconds--the less people that know about this, the better--they will try to stop us.  I always knew you and I would have a fight someday, says Morgan, but I thought it would be with our hands (didn't you two already do that?)--but pistols are better.  No, screams Catherine.  She and Julia stand there.  Go back to Collinwood! orders Morgan.  There will be no duel! insists Catherine.  That is up to us! says Bramwell.  Think of the scandal, warns Julia.  What a ridiculous reason to stop this duel! says Morgan--we are going back to Collinwood, he orders Catherine and Julia.  I will not let you kill each other! cries Catherine.  We are leaving, commands Morgan; he and Julia wait by the door.  Josette stands on the stairs, listening.  Catherine gazes at Bramwell with hatred.  "You caused this!" she yells, and goes out the door ahead of Julia and Morgan.

Josette, says Julia, I urge you to stop your son--this must not take place--for the family's sake.  Ah, that is the wrong reason, says Josette, I am concerned for my son's life, not family pride.  Without another word, Julia leaves.  Bramwell, says his mother, I order you not to duel.  I have accepted Morgan's challenge, he says.  Is there nothing I can say to make you change your mind? she asks.  Nothing, he assures her, there will be a duel, and I will shoot to kill!

Morgan, begs Catherine, go to Collinsport and bring the minister here--we'll be married this evening, leave Collinsport immediately.  No! he says.  Why? she says, we'll have won then--we'll have what we want!  I feel we will not have what we want until Bramwell is dead, says Morgan.  She continues to sob.  Morgan demands, "Who are you crying for--Bramwell, or me?"  She runs out, still crying.  Morgan opens a drawer and takes out a boxed set of pistols.  He begins to examine them.

Catherine is heading to the Old House.  Don't go, urges Julia urges, it will only cause more trouble.  I must, insists Catherine, and leaves.  Julia closes the door after her, not knowing where all this will end, and fearing the worst

Catherine bursts in on a brooding Bramwell.  Breathing hard, she gazes at him, furious.
He challenged me, Bramwell reminds her--he knew what I said was true.  You don't love me, she accuses--with all your words, all you have done is to make me unhappy.  That's not true, he says.  You simply want to impose your will on me, she says, well I won't have it--I won't let you make me a widow before I'm a bride!--I want you to give me a note to Morgan saying you will not meet him.  I cannot do that, says Bramwell--it must happen!  Why? she asks--because of your pride, your honor--or because you can't bear for him to have something you want?--or because you can't admit that you're wrong--the Bramwell I loved COULD admit he was wrong--you've changed.  If so, it's because of you! he says--because of your insane insistence that you love Morgan!  Insane? she cries--if you kill Morgan, I will be dead before he is in his grave--I swear to you, I will kill myself!  She runs out, slamming the door behind her.

Morgan is in the gazebo, readying the pistols, when Bramwell shows up.  Your choice of weapons, offers Morgan, holding up the case for Bramwell.  Bramwell chooses a pistol; Morgan takes the other.  Ten paces, I believe, says Bramwell, very civilized about it all.  Morgan nods.  Bramwell offers his hand to Morgan, but his cousin ignores the gesture, and says, impatiently,  "Let's get on with it."
Bramwell and Morgan stand back to back, weapons raised.  They pace off the required 10 steps, and...

NOTES:  Such high drama in this episode, I loved it!  The relationship between Josette and Melanie is touching, and it's interesting to see what a sensible, loving and gentle woman Josette turned into in this parallel universe.  You get the impression she has known great sadness in her life, and this is another mystery we will see solved soon.  As for Morgan and Bramwell, boys will be boys, and they must fight for the lady they want--to the death!   Bramwell's love for Catherine must be genuine, if somewhat excessive (ahhhh--for years, we watched Angelique pursue Barnabas with obsessive adulation; now the tables are turned).  Catherine played dirty pool with Bramwell, and I still feel she handled this whole situation badly.  Perhaps she thought having sex with Bramwell would assuage his feelings somehow, but it appears to have had the opposite effect.  He's confused, and understandably so.  Who will pay for her vacillating behavior?

Does this attractive older woman we know as Josette seem anything like the young woman we met in 1795?  So sensible.  She seems to have a sad secret of her own.  All that talk about not being able to have your heart's fondest desire--well, that seemed to have poignant significance for her.

There are those of us who love Catherine and Bramwell (I'm one of them) and others who can't tolerate them.  To each his own taste, as they say.  I love their passion, and even their selfishness, but more than anything, I am entranced by their passion, both physical and otherwise, for each other.  You know these two hate and love with equal passion.  Frankly, Morgan is so dull, IMHO, I can't imagine what she sees in him--but he is loyal to his family.

Love, Robin