Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0713  (Read 495 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0713
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
Robservations #713

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0713

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
How did the real will get back to the family in the original timeline?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Gosh, Joey, I never thought of that!

Perhaps it was earlier than Barnabas thought, or perhaps time itself has mercifully slowed while he rescued Rachel. He professes to be as puzzled about it as Rachel. The clock chimes a warning, but Rachel assumes it’s for her and says she must get back to Collinwood. Barnabas self-sacrificingly offers to walk her home (perhaps time has run backward), but Rachel thanks him for his kindness and leaves. Barnabas looks out at the dawn and hurries to the basement.

Barnabas finds Magda waiting for him and tells her all about Angelique. He orders her first to guard him during the day so that Angelique can't get near the coffin. His second order is more complicated: Go to Collinwood and take your cards with you. You are to ask for Judith. She hates us! Magda protests. Barnabas tells Magda, You are to say you saw a sign in the cards that may solve the mystery of the missing will. Magda gets very interested. Do you know where it is? she asks. Don’t play innocent, he warns her sharply. We both know Sandor had the will and was forging a copy for Quentin when I found and took it from him. I’ve hidden it somewhere in Collinwood, and you are to tell Judith where it is--but leave me out of it. Judith is to believe you found the will through the magic of your cards. Why are you willing to make me look so good? Magda asks. Barnabas answers drily, Perhaps I have an innate fondness for gypsies who have fallen on hard times. Magda is suspicious, but Barnabas warns her, Don’t ask questions--I’m doing you a favor. He opens the coffin as Magda stares at him, then suddenly walks over to her. Don’t entertain any thought of betraying me! he warns her. In a ghastly parody of a caress, he moves the hair away away from her throat, lifts her chin and pushes her head back. You know what I can do, he reminds her. (Magda looks actually half tempted; Julia would have swooned instantly!) Magda watches him get in the coffin and shut it. Looking both angry and worried, she runs her hand over the lid, then gazes off into the distance and makes plans.

At 3:15 p.m., Rachel (now wearing the blue gown Quentin wanted Maggie to wear) emerges from the servants’ door as Judith comes downstairs. Judith inquires after Rachel’s health; with a smile, Rachel assures her she’s much better. Judith says, When I spoke with Mr. Collins [Quentin? Edward?] this morning, he was very concerned about what happened to you last night. That was very kind of him [whichever], Rachel says. Judith warns her about Quentin's corrupting influence on Jamison. He dreams of someday being like Quentin, Judith says with disgust. Let's hope that he wakes up in time to see what a disaster that is. [That makes me sorry that we’ll never know what the adult Jamison--who of course was Elizabeth and Roger’s father--was like.]

Great scene with good writing! Beth opens the front door behind Rachel. Judith is dismayed to see she is carrying a beautiful doll, right out in the open, as well as a package. Judith even more dismayed a moment later when Rachel exclaims over it. I’m sure Nora is going to adore it, she enthuses. Nora? Beth asks, caught off guard. The next instant, realizing her mistake, she exchanges a glance with Judith as she tries to cover her tracks by assuring Rachel the doll is for Nora. Judith tells Beth to come to the drawing room for a word. Rachel offers to bring the doll to Nora. No, Beth says, I’ll bring it up in a few minutes. As Rachel moves toward the stairs, she hears Judith’s first words to Beth: Have you lost your mind? Beth stammers an apology, but Judith says, You came in the front door as if nothing were wrong! As Rachel pauses to listen, Judith reminds Beth, Anyone could have been standing in the foyer! I’m sorry, Beth says again, I wasn’t thinking. No, you weren’t, Judith agrees. She continues, We do have a certain nosiness in this house. It seems ridiculous to me that I have to remind you how careful you must be. You can’t become emotionally involved. I’m not, Beth protests, but Judith says, If you weren’t, you wouldn’t have been so careless. Beth apologizes again and pleads, It’s just that I felt sorry for her. She is so lonely. Judith says crossly, Feeling sorry for her isn’t part of your job, and if you can’t remember it a change will have to be made. Yes, Beth replies dutifully. Outside, Rachel runs from the doors and hurries upstairs.

Rachel tries to get some information from Beth about the children's mother, but Beth isn't forthcoming. Judith overhears the end of the conversation and warns Rachel about excessive curiosity.

Magda arrives at Collinwood and tells Judith, I must see you--I have something urgent to tell you. Judith says, You and your husband are no longer welcome at Collinwood. Remembering her mission, Magda says, You will welcome me when you understand the reason for the visit. Judith says coldly, If you’re trying to ingratiate yourself with me as you did with my grandmother, you’re wasting your time. You’re wrong, Magda persists. I am here to tell you where you can find your grandmother’s will. Now may I come in? Grinning broadly, she steps past the speechless Judith into the house.

Judith is suspicious of Magda. You have something up your sleeve, gypsy, she sneers. What is it? I have seen signs in the cards, Magda replies. I don’t believe in the cards, Judith says. If that’s all it is, leave now. Magda reminds her, You know we were right when we predicted the arrival of the stranger. Judith brushes that aside as coincidence, since the so-called stranger turned out to be a relative. Magda must have seen him in the village before she made her prediction. Magda says, If you don’t want to hear about the sign in the cards about your grandmother.... and heads for the door. Wait! Judith tells her. I do want to hear what you have to say. Magda leads the way to the drawing room. She lays out nine cards on the table and tells Judith, The arrangement means nothing to you, but it will--soon. You have the card of the queen [of Cups], inverted, representing your grandmother after death. Below the queen, the Joker, on the other side, the Tower of Destruction. The three cards surround the ace [of Cups], protecting it from the outer circle of kings and knaves and fools. You’re making no sense, Judith grumbles. It’s simple, Magda replies. The tower is the room where your grandmother died. The secret is safely hidden in the heart of the room, from all family members. Where’s the heart of the room? Judith asks. The will is there somewhere, perhaps in a book--a book that was important to Edith, a very, very old book. The family history, Judith guesses at once. Magda assures her that’s the right place. I’ll check the family history tonight, Judith decides. As they walk to the front door, Magda asks Judith to let her know if she finds the will. Don’t worry, Judith assures her. If there is a will, everyone will know soon enough. Magda leaves, smiling. The door is barely closed after her when Judith practically runs upstairs.

Barnabas is waiting for Magda outside the house. How did it go? he asks. I was magnificent, she assures him grandly. Judith suspected nothing--she is as greedy as the rest of the family. Barnabas orders her to wait for him at the Old House; after she nods assent and leaves, he knocks on the door. Rachel opens it and he gives her the charm, warning her to wear it always.

As Rachel goes through the servants’ door, lost in thought, Judith comes downstairs, her face a study in amazement and triumph. She walks into the drawing room and shuts herself in. She actually smiles as she thinks to herself, I can't believe it! She said she would take care of me. I never imagined that it would be anything like this! I am in control now--in control of everything! Things are going to be very different in this house from this moment on! she promises herself.  Her exultant mood is interrupted when Rachel knocks on the door and says apologetically, I think I said something to Nora that I shouldn’t have. Without thinking, I asked Nora how she liked her new doll, but Nora said Beth never gave her one. Judith says, I will speak to Beth about the doll and see to it that she gives it to Nora.

Cool final scene! Meanwhile, Beth walks along the hallway outside the Tower Room, carrying the doll and a lamp. We can see that the hallway is actually a landing that overlooks a staircase at stage right (on our left). When she reaches the door, she leans in toward it and calls softly, Jenny--it’s Beth. I am going to come inside, and I have a nice surprise for you. She very deftly manages the doll and the lamp as she reaches into her pocket, takes out a key, and unlocks the door. She walks into the room and closes the door behind her....

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
We're now being set up to believe that the now-named Jenny in the Tower Room [spoiler]is Edward's missing wife.[/spoiler]  What else could we think, at this point?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor