Author Topic: #1197/1198: Robservations 12/08/03: The End of 1840/41RT  (Read 1418 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1197/1198: Robservations 12/08/03: The End of 1840/41RT
« on: December 07, 2003, 02:38:44 PM »
1197 - In the remake of yesterday's final scene, Judge Vail, Trask and Barnabas have now joined the spectators at Quentin's execution.  We see the blade being tested for sharpness right before Quentin's eyes; Gerard tells Quentin, I wouldn't have missed this thing for the world, followed by Quentin's attacking him and being restrained by the guard; Quentin refuses the blindfold and announces, when I was born, I saw the light of day, and when I die, I'm going to see the dark of the night.  He places his head down on the chopping block, looking like a little boy about to go to sleep, we see the basket, awaiting Quentin's severed head, at the base of the chopping block.  The executioner lifts up the blade over Quentin's neck...

Valerie, holding in her arms the covered box containing the head of Judah Zachary, races in at this very moment.  "Stop, you're killing the wrong man!"  she declares.  Valerie! cries Barnabas.  Let's get on with the execution, insists Trask immediately.  "No!" cries Valerie, "Quentin and Desmond are innocent--there is the man who is guilty--Gerard Stiles!"  Stop him! someone yells; a guard restrains Gerard.  I beg you to listen to me! cries Valerie.  I will listen to you, Judge Vail assures her--everyone stay right where they are until this matter is explained
--and Mr. Stiles, he adds, you must refrain from any further demonstrations.  Valerie places the head on a nearby flat surface and pulls off the cover.  "She's insane, Your Honor!" insists Gerard.  That is for me to decide, says the Judge--you have made a serious charge against this young man.  And I can prove it, your honor, says Valerie.  I want to first know who you are, says Vail.  My name is Valerie Collins, she says.  She's my wife, adds Barnabas.  What proof have you brought with you? demands the judge.  During the trial, says Valerie, the prosecution mentioned the disembodied head belonging to Judah Zachary--Mr. Dawson said this head possessed Quentin Collins.  I recall that, says the judge--what about it?  Quentin looks puzzled, then delighted, as Valerie reveals, I found the head in the home of Charles Dawson.  Everyone is silent for a moment.  You found this in Dawson's house? asks Vail.  Yes, she says.  Where is Mr. Dawson now? he asks.  He is dead, she says.  You killed him, accuses Trask.  That will be enough of that, Mr. Trask, orders Judge Vail.  Mr. Trask is right--for once--says Valerie, I did kill him--he was holding me prisoner, we struggled, I hit him over the head and he fell to the floor--I thought he was unconscious, but when I tried to revive him, I saw he was dead, so I searched his house --and found the head.  Barnabas listens, wonderment and pride on his face.  How did you come to be in Charles Dawson's house? he asks.  I was taken there--by Gerard Stiles! she accuses.  She's lying, insists Gerard.  Everything Mr. Dawson said was true--except that the head possessed Quentin Collins--the man the head possessed and still possesses is Gerard Stiles, explains Valerie.  How do you know all this? demands the judge--we have to have more than your word in this matter.  She gazes at everyone; Barnabas nods his approval--tell them!  Gerard looks sick, Quentin hopeful.  I knew Judah Zachary, for many years, she confesses, I knew him intimately.  But Judah Zachary died in 1692! says the judge, as a grateful smile glimmers around Barnabas' lips.  I'm aware of that, says Valerie--it was my testimony that sent him to his death.  This is the most astonishing thing I've ever heard! declares Vail.  This is outrageous! pronounces Gerard--the woman is telling us she lived in the year 1692.  You know I did, Judah! she cries, approaching him, and you know you bewitched me, and I remained a witch, until last night, when you took away all the powers you had given me.  I have no idea what she's talking about, insists Gerard--the woman is obviously deranged.  You must be aware, your honor, points out Barnabas--it's significant that the head of Judah Zachary was found in the house of the prosecuting attorney.  How do we know where she found it? demands Gerard, we only have her word.  Yes, she may have placed it there herself, says Trask.  Your point is well taken, says the Judge, but with Mr. Dawson dead, how can we be sure where the head was found?   I am prepared to swear under oath everything I say is true, she says.  Even if you were to take an oath, says Vail, as Desmond looks on anxiously, that wouldn't constitute proof.  But I have brought you the head of Judah Zachary! she cries.  How can we know with any certainty who this head possessed, if it indeed possesses anyone? asks the judge.  I beg you to listen to me--these men are innocent! declares Valerie desperately.  Desmond suddenly reaches into the pocket of the guard standing beside him, draws out his pistol, screams, "JUDAH!" and fires it into Gerard's body at point-blank range.
Somebody get a doctor! orders Vail.  Gerard staggers and falls, Trask rushing to his side.  The head of Judah Zachary begins to burn, disintegrate, until finally, only a blackened skull remains.  Look at the head! Barnabas yells to the judge.  Seeing the burnt skull, Vail says, "I don't believe it!"  But we must believe what we've seen, insists Barnabas--it is not only Gerard Stiles who is dying, but Judah Zachary--now we need no more proof than this!  Trask rises from the fallen Gerard, who weakly mutters, "Judah is dead, and I am free."  The possession is ended, announces Valerie.  I want to see Quentin, says Gerard.  Quentin kneels beside the dying man-- I'm right here, he says.  Pressing his blood-stained hand against his chest, Gerard begs, "Forgive me, please--I wasn't myself--forgive me."  It's all right, Quentin assures him, I understand--and forgive you.  Gerard dies.
(Say what you want, this was unexpected and really sad.)  He's dead, says Quentin, closing his eyes in sorrow, rising to his feet.  Are you convinced now? Barnabas asks the judge.  Yes, says Vail, I'm convinced--Quentin and Desmond Collins are hereby released--we will go into my chambers and take care of the necessary legal department.  That woman is s self-claimed witch, Trask reminds Judge Vail--surely you're not going to release her--I demand she be arrested!  I haven't forgotten Mrs. Collins, says Vail--there are many things she has to explain, and will be placed under arrest until she does so.  Judge, asks Barnabas, will you grant me time to have a short talk with my wife, for just a few minutes, alone?--I will be responsible for her.  Very well, says Vail, you may have 5 minutes, then she is to be brought inside and turned over to the constable--Johnson, you wait here with her in the yard.  Barnabas goes over to Valerie--I don't know what to say, he murmurs--except thank you.  She gazes at him with luminous eyes.  It hardly seems adequate, considering what you have done, adds Barnabas.
She smiles modestly and says, "You know why I did it."  Yes, I know why, he says, and I'm deeply grateful to you--you must forgive me, Angelique, I didn't expect any of this to happen, but now that it has, I'm afraid I can't think very clearly.  Perhaps it isn't the time to say anything, Barnabas, she agrees--I did what I felt I had to do--the rest is up to you.  Our first concern is to get you out of this, he says--I don't know how I will do it, but I promise I will.  I'll wait to hear from you, she says.  He gives her one long, last look, then leaves.  Valerie goes to the guard, who leads her into the jailhouse.  She gazes at the courtyard with its burning torches and unused chopping block for a moment, then goes inside.

Collinwood - Barnabas, Quentin and Desmond return.  I can't believe it's finally over, exults Desmond.  It is, says Quentin, now we've got to find Daphne--I'm sure Gerard locked her in one of the rooms.  We had better start looking, urges Desmond.  No use for you to do it, says Quentin, Barnabas and I can handle it--why don't you go back and see about Leticia and Flora?  I'll bring Leticia, she'll be worried about Daphne, says Desmond, who leaves. Barnabas, says Quentin, you search the East Wing, I'll cover the rest of the house.  Barnabas goes upstairs.

Daphne lies on the bed in the bridal chamber.  Hearing footsteps, she grabs a candlestick and is about to hit her visitor over the head--then sees it's Quentin.  They fall into each other's arms, kissing joyously.  I'm all right, he assures her--Gerard is dead.  They kiss again, then sit on the bed and kiss some more, unable to get enough of each other.  He hugs her and holds her tight as they delight in their reunion.

Barnabas searches the East Wing--Daphne! he calls.  He opens the doors to the PT room and sees Catherine standing there, looking solemn.  It's obvious that Barnabas is thinking how much she resembles Angelique.  A door opens.  Bramwell Collins, son of Barnabas and Josette, enters.  I have come back, as I promised I would give years ago, he says.  Overcome with joy, she says his name.  Catherine, he says, my Catherine--they rush together to share a long kiss.  No, she says, pulling away, this is insane!  What is it?--you're happy to see me? he asks.  She hesitates, not replying.  For the love of heaven, he begs, tell me what's wrong.  You've been gone five years, she says, did you expect me to stay the same?  In the doorway, Barnabas listens closely.  I expected your love to stay the same, says Bramwell, as mine did--you know what we mean to each other--so I came back to marry you!  No! she says, you can't--I'm going to marry Morgan Collins.  What? asks Bramwell, totally blown away.  Morgan has asked me to marry him and I've agreed, says Catherine.  Look at me, commands Bramwell--LOOK AT ME!  She does.  You love me, tell me that you love me! he demands passionately.  No, she says, her face showing how torn she is.  You don't love Morgan, you love me, insists Bramwell, as I love you!--that's the way it should be--he pulls her into his arms--that's the way it always has been--you and I--Catherine and Bramwell--there's no other way.  I'm sorry, she says, withdrawing from of his embrace.  I won't listen to you say you're sorry, he growls, I will not let you destroy both our lives.  There's no point in putting yourself into one of your vicious tempers! she retorts.  I will show my temper when I see Morgan, he vows.  There's no reason for you to see Morgan, she says.  I have every reason to see Morgan, he says--I would like to kill him.  Oh, you haven't changed, she says with a bitter smile--no one could ever talk to you when you were angry.  How did you expect me to react to what you just said? he demands.  I expected you to listen to me while I try to explain, she says.  I'll listen, he agrees.  When I made the decision to marry Morgan, it was a very difficult one, she says--you know how I've always felt about you--how I still do feel--but I also know the kind of life I want--and I know the two of us could never find it together.  But you and Morgan will? he asks. Yes! she says. You are telling yourself lies! he says, we belong to each other!  No, we're too much alike, she protests, we'd destroy one another--and we could never find the kind of stability I must have if I'm to be happy.  In other words, a poor Collins won't do, he accuses--you must have a rich one.  That isn't fair, she says.  But it's TRUE! he shouts--look at me and tell me you love Morgan Collins.  I do love him, she says.  I don't believe that, says Bramwell, I don't believe you love him, nor do I believe he loves you--he only wants you because he doesn't want me to have you!  That's not true! she says.  Not only is it true, says Bramwell, it's been the story of my life at Collinwood--my father, Barnabas, who was driven to his grave by this family--from that day on, they devoted themselves to making me and my mother miserable.  Justin Collins always loved you, Catherine reminds him.  Yes, says Bramwell, he was the one exception--but before he could give me my rightful place in the business, that accident happened, and from that day on, his (two--there are three?) sons saw that I stayed the poor relation--yes, Bramwell Collins must stay in his place--and that's why I left Collinwood--and now I return to find that they have claimed you, too.  She rises--no one has claimed me, she says--the decision was mine to make and I made it.  This is the final insult, says Bramwell, I suppose they rejoiced when you said yes to Morgan.  I never expected you to be so bitter! she cries.  Bramwell looks at her intensely and says, "I will be much more bitter than this--I said five years ago to you that I would live to see the day the Collins family came crawling to me--and now your decision reinforces my determination
--I will break them, Catherine, I will break their backs, all of them!"   Bramwell! she chides, putting her hand to her forehead.  He spins her around, looks into her eyes and, his voice gentle, says, they've taken my soul away from me--because you were that, Catherine--without you, I will have no life--and neither will they!  He presses his lips to hers in a fierce kiss, gazes into her eyes one last time, and leaves.  Catherine watches him go, not knowing what to do or say.

Quentin and Daphne, glowing with love, walk downstairs.  Where is Valerie now? asks Daphne.  She was ordered into custody, explains Quentin--she's going to be questioned by the tribunal.  They go into the drawing room, arms around each other.  I still don't understand it all, says Daphne.  Neither do I, he says--what I really don't understand is, I can't believe Valerie was telling the truth--about herself, I mean.  You said the judge believed her, says Daphne.  Yes, he did, says Quentin, he really believed her when he saw what happened to the head when Gerard died.  You're back where you belong now, and that's all that matters, she says.  I love you, he says, and draws her close for a kiss.  Barnabas enters--Daphne, he says, I'm glad to see you're all right.  I found her in a locked room, explains Quentin.  Noticing that Barnabas seems sad, Quentin asks, what's wrong?  I had the most curious experience in that room in the East Wing, says Barnabas.  You mean you saw something in parallel time? asks Daphne.  "Yes, and it made me realize something I've always known," says Barnabas, his face intense, "but never admitted."  What are you talking about? asks Quentin.  Someone I love, says Barnabas--I must go to her and tell her.  He leaves.

Barnabas returns to the courtyard and stops Judge Vail--I must talk to you.  What is it? asks the judge.  I want to discuss my wife's case, says Barnabas.  But there's nothing to discuss, says Vail heartily.  Oh, but there is, insists Barnabas, if it hadn't been for her, two innocent men would have died tonight!  I'm aware of that, says Vail.  She came here at great sacrifice to herself, says Barn, about her past.  It's too late for you to plead your wife's case, says Vail--she left here 20 minutes ago--she was questioned by the whole tribunal and then released.  You mean she's free? asks Barnabas, thrilled.  Yes, says Judge Vail, she's free.

Collinwood - Bags are packed, waiting in the foyer.  Quentin exits the drawing room with a note from Samantha (don't ask me how that happened) the contents of which he dubs "beautiful:"  "Dear Quentin--I've done you a great injustice in regard to Tad--whatever else went wrong between us, it didn't involve Tad--I lied to you, he is your son--for Tad's sake, you must know the truth--Samantha."  They hug each other joyously.  Come on, the carriage is waiting, says Quentin.  Barnabas enters.  I'm glad you got back before we left, says Quentin--we're going to Boston to pick up Tad, and then we're going to be married there.  Congratulations, wishes Barnabas, and shakes Quentin's hand.  A gleam in his eye, Quentin asks, are you wondering where Valerie is?  You've seen her? asks Barnabas.  Yes, she's in the drawing room, says Quentin.
Goodbye, Barnabas, says Daphne, kissing his cheek--God bless you.  The dewy-eyed couple leaves.  Barnabas, looking uncertain, goes into the drawing room, unaware that Trask, pistol in hand, has exited the kitchen area and is right behind him.  Angelique, says Barnabas.  Barnabas, says Angelique.  I know now, says Barnabas, I know how I feel.  Trask enters and raises the pistol.
The judges refused to hold you! he rants, but I am not afraid of you--"DIE," witch!.  He fires at her.  "NO!" screams Barnabas.  Angelique, shot in the chest, begins to fall.

NOTES:  An episode chock full of happy endings and unexpected happenings.  We now know that Angelique knew Judah "intimately," she said so herself.

It seemed to me that given what Angelique told Judge Vail, she wouldn't have just been freed, but held for trial and eventually beheaded.  That would have ruined our story.

I felt terrible for Gerard.  He may have been a blackguard anyway--we know his real name was Ivan Miller--but when he asked for Quentin's forgiveness, my eyes welled up.  He wasn't as bad as Judah, but died for his sins anyway.

Will Angelique die before Barnabas can tell her how he feels?  We'll know shortly.  It certainly was an amazing episode as Barnabas watched the man who, in another time band, would have been his son with Josette, the passionate, brash and fluffy-haired Bramwell.  Catherine is following in the unfortunate footsteps of Catherine in WUTHERING HEIGHTS--and we all know how that story ended!  I love this fiery couple, and although I didn't know we'd never again see Jonathan Frid play Barnabas, I was so glad they gave him--and Lara Parker--different characters to play.  I might be in the minority, but I love this pair!

Daphne and Quentin are happy and getting married, but where did that note from Samantha come from--did her ghost come back to write it?  You'd think instead of writing a note assuring him he's Tad's father, she'd want to haunt Quentin for the rest of his life in revenge.  And since chances are that Daphne and Quentin had kids of their own, how would that affect the future?  This storyline never did revolve around the children, Tad and Carrie, as we were led to believe, but I suppose Barnabas and Julia being there changed that, too--plus David Henesy chose to leave the show.

Let's go see what happens in the next episode--the last in 1840/41?

1198 - Stokes does the intro, the first time we've seen him as Stokes since his last brief appearance in 1841.

Barnabas grabs Trask's arms; they struggle wildly.  Barnabas grabs him in a chokehold and enraged, reminds him--I told you before--when you walled me up--I should have finished you then!  Trask's eyes bulge; he falls unconscious to the floor.  From the sofa where she has fallen, Angelique calls softly to Barnabas, who runs to the doorway and bellows "Julia!!!."  He returns to Angelique and sits beside her.  She'll do you no good now, Angelique says, her voice faint.  He gathers her into his arms and says, "Oh, my darling."  I'm dying, she says.  No, he protests.  Hold me, she asks.  He does.  He reaches into his pocket for a handkerchief and wipes away the blood running form her chest wound.  Angelique, he says, I never knew.  What? my darling, she says.
What you did tonight, he says.  That I always loved you, she says.  I love you, he says, that's why you must live--I love you, Angelique--after all those years, all that happened between us--I can say it now because I know it's true--I love you.  Her eyes have closed, however, and, pressing his face to hers, he realizes she is gone.  Tears clog his voice as he says, "Angelique....no...Angelique!--you never heard me--you never heard me--oh, my love--my love--he kisses her mouth--you were never to know until it was too late," he mourns.  Trask returns to consciousness.  Barnabas flies at him.  You killed her! he shouts, attacking Trask.  The two men struggle.  Trask races upstairs, Barnabas vowing, you will pay for this with your life!  Barnabas chases after him.

They end up in the East Wing in a room with a desk and a letter opener on the table.  When Barnabas enters, Trask attacks him, burying the letter opener in his shoulder.  The men battle ferociously.
Barnabas forces Trask to drop the knife, picks it up, and drives it into Trask, who stumbles away into the parallel time room, which changes around him.  Trask, the letter opener stuck in his stomach, asks "What's happening?"  Barnabas watches him from the doorway.  "You have escaped me!" he yells, disappointed.  Where am I? asks Trask, what's happening, where am I?--and the room changes back to it's empty self.  Barnabas enters, staring around.  He's gone, he says, clutching his shoulder--he's in that other time!

Barnabas returns downstairs, holding his wounded shoulder.  He finds the gun on the floor and picks it up, looking at it.  Angelique's body lies on the sofa.  So this is how it ends, says Barnabas sadly, putting the gun down on the table.  He goes to Angelique and kneels beside her.  "Your beautiful face, so quiet, as if you were asleep," he says--"am I never to see your eyes again?--so often they looked at me with love, and I returned nothing but hate--I was blinded by my fury--that my rejection of you caused--and so throughout the years, we battled and fought, and I never guessed beneath my rage I felt a love as strong as yours."  Julia enters.  She's dead, he says.
Julia composes her face into a neutral mask.  Trask killed her before she knew, laments Barnabas, I loved her, Julia--she is my only love and I never knew it.  He winces with pain.  Realizing he's been wounded, Julia asks, what happened?   Trask tried to kill me as he killed Angelique, says Barnabas--he's upstairs in that room--in that other time--Julia, without even planning it, I've committed the perfect crime!  He almost collapses.  Sit down, don't move at all, urges Julia--I'll be right back with my medicine bag.  Barnabas gazes at his dead wife.

Rose Cottage - Where can Leticia be? Desmond demands of Flora, slapping his fist into his hand.  I told you five times, she replies, I do not know!  I have been back over two hours, she was not at Collinwood--I stopped there on my way back from the jail, says Desmond.  I'm sure she'll be back soon, soothes Flora--oh, darling, I still can't believe you're free.  It's all over, Mother--Gerard is dead, he says.  How could I have been so blind? she asks, I thought I was such a good judge of character--I couldn't see beneath his charm--perhaps it will make me wiser next time--but he did bring us Leticia.  What if Leticia tried to do something to herself? asks Desmond, worried.  She wouldn't, Flora assures him.  How can you be sure? asks Desmond, she was terribly upset at the cell this evening--I've got to go out and look for her.  Where? asks Flora.
And at that moment, Leticia comes in, runs into Desmond's arms, and kisses him lustily. Now I'm going to show you what a good mother-in-law I'm going to be, quips Flora--I've learned the first rule--when to disappear.  Smiling, she leaves.  I am dreaming, exults Desmond.  No, luv, I am, she says.  Where have you been? he asks,  Walking, she says, on the beach, looking at the sea.  Crying tears you didn't need to cry, he says.  Wondering how I'd be able to make it through tonight, tomorrow and forever, she says, tears in her voice.  She hugs him.  On my way through town, I heard about you and Quentin, she says--I couldn't believe it!  Believe it, he says.  I must have lost my second sight, luv, she says, or I'd have known about you--you were alive--I guess I lost it when I fell in love.  They kiss up a storm, ecstatic.  We're leaving Collinsport tonight, he tells her.  We are? she asks.  Yes, and we're going to New York, he says--we're going to be married there.  I love New York, she says--oh, my darling!--Mrs. Desmond Collins!

Barnabas enters the drawing room, where Stokes and Julia await him.  What happened? she asks.  The police accepted my story, he explains--Angelique is to be buried in the family mausoleum.  We can't stay here any longer, says Stokes--we must go back to our own time.  How? asks Barnabas.  I came from 1970 down Quentin's staircase through time, says Stokes--now we must try to go back up those same stairs.  (But Barnabas came via E-Ching, what about that?)  Barnabas sits listlessly on the sofa.  You've done what you came here to do, Stokes reminds him, you'll never know how well you succeeded in changing history until you return to Collinwood--it's 1971 there now--is the house destroyed?--are Elizabeth and the children dead?--are Quentin and Carolyn mad?  Barnabas, troubled, says, "Our time, 1971, it seems almost impossible to believe we've come from that time to this--Eliot, we could be certain about what our visit has done to us, but I don't what it has done to Collinwood in 1971?"  Desmond comes in and overhears Barnabas' question.  What are you talking about? he demands--have you gone mad?--1971?--why it's a hundred and thirty years from now.  There's an awkward, silent moment.  Finally Julia replies, "But that is where we have come from, Desmond."  How is that possible? he asks.  We came down Quentin's staircase, says Eliot.  Quentin's staircase is a joke! yells Desmond.  No, says Stokes, not a joke by any means--those stairs must be destroyed--Quentin intended to destroy them before he left, but I persuaded him not to.  You and Julia will leave me here, says Barnabas.  No! protests Julia.  You must go with us, insists Stokes.  Barnabas, says Desmond, all this is beyond me, but if it's Valerie's funeral that is keeping you here, then Leticia and I will stay until tomorrow--my mother will take care of everything.  Well, Barnabas, says Stokes, what if you try to go up the stairs and the conditions are not right?  You'll never be able to tell if they are right or not, points out Julia worriedly.  Barnabas sighs--we will try, he agrees.  They all smile at each other.

Collinwood basement, Quentin's staircase - You certainly know how to shock someone, Desmond tells the trio--first you tell me about you, then about those stairs, then finally about the room in the East Wing--the room Trask went into and it changed--I don't understand it still--Trask is actually in another band of our time?  Yes, says Barnabas, and you must check that room, because if he should somehow escape, he will try to kill you as he did Valerie.  If he escapes, I will settle with him, Desmond promises, you can be sure of that.  We're counting on you for a great deal, Desmond, says Stokes.  I will tell no one the secret except Leticia and Quentin, promises Desmond.  Stokes checks his watch--the time has come to begin our journey, he says--goodbye Desmond.  They shake hands.  Julia steps forward--I wish you both happiness, she tells Desmond and Leticia.  Desmond kisses her on both cheeks--goodbye, he says.  "My cousin, my friend," says Barnabas emotionally, clasping both Desmond's hands, "Goodbye."  How will I ever know if you have made it? asks Desmond.  You must always think we have, responds Barnabas.
Stokes ascends the staircase first.  What if we find Collinwood destroyed? asks Julia--what if it's the way we left it in 1970?--what will they do?  The best we can, says Barnabas.  Julia follows Stokes, then Barnabas.  Desmond, amazement on his face, watches them go to the door at the top of the stairs, where whirling colors and God knows what await them.  Barnabas closes the door behind them.

Stokes, Julia and Barnabas exit the door at the other end of time.  Good Lord! exclaims Eliot.  It's not the way it was before! says Julia--Collinwood was not destroyed--Barnabas, we have changed everything, we have!  She's thrilled.

8:10 - Barnabas and Stokes have changed into 1971 attire.  Two hours! complains Barnabas to Eliot, we haven't seen anyone--there isn't a sign of a single person in the whole house.  The refrigerator is filled with food, says Stokes, that's an encouraging sign.  It still concerns me, says Barnabas.  Julia, wearing her navy blue dress, joins them, smiling--I had completely forgotten how comfortable these clothes are--it's so hard to believe this--this house is exactly the way it was when I first came here--there's no sign that the ghosts of Gerard and Daphne were ever here.  I wish I could be as confident as you are, Julia, that everything's all right, says Barn.
Elizabeth suddenly bustles in, annoyed--"Barnabas, Julia!--really, the three of you are impossible --you're very late!"  Late for what? asks Julia.  "Have you forgotten?" asks Liz--"the opening of the historical center--I wouldn't have come back, but Roger forgot his speech--so do let's hurry--Eliot, I know that Barnabas and Julia are always pre-occupied, but it's not like you to forget something we've been planning for so long!"  Stokes apologizes--it slipped my mind, he says.  As Liz looks through papers on the desk for the speech, Julia hesitantly asks, are David and Hallie there?  Of course! says Liz.  And Quentin and Carolyn? queries Barnabas.  Where else would they be? asks Liz, finally finding what she's looking for.  Where indeed? echoes Barnabas.  Liz tucks the speech under her arm--it's so like Roger, she says--he hates making speeches--why are all of you staring at me so strangely?  It's so nice to see you, says Julia.  Thank you, says Liz--it's really been a warm and cozy winter, hasn't it?--so calm and peaceful--I've quite enjoyed it--shall we go?--you can drive in with me.  We'd be delighted, says Stokes, following her out.  I found the most incredible thing in the West Wing this afternoon, says Liz (Mike R. Phone makes an appearance in the corner of the screen)--I'm going to give it to the Historical Society tonight--I found a journal written by an ancestor of mine called Flora Collins (Barnabas exchanges looks with Julia)--I don't believe I've ever heard her mentioned--I understand she's written many novels--we must find and read them.  It should be most interesting, agrees Stokes.  He and Liz leave the house.  So, says Barnabas, the ghosts of Gerard and Daphne never came here.  We changed all their lives by being in 1840, says Julia.  As well as ours, agrees Barnabas--think back to 1840, Julia, those stairways are likely no more--Desmond has probably destroyed them by now.  We'll never forget any of them, says Julia.  Never, he says.  Together, they walk into the camera--and DARK SHADOWS history.
1841 - Desmond destroys the staircase, wondering where the three of them are now--did they manage to get back to their own time?  From the drawing room, Leticia calls to Desmond, then warms herself by the fire, pacing back and forth.  Desmond joins her.  I got worried about you, she says, afraid something had happened to you.  Something has--come on, he says, we're going to a room in the East Wing, a room Barnabas told me about--a room where something may be happening now--I'll explain it to you later--he leads her upstairs to the parallel time room.  Apparently he explained it to her along the way, because when they arrive at the PT room, she comments, I can't believe it--Valerie dead, murdered--and Trask wounded in another band of time?--Desmond Collins, you've gone mad, she accuses, cupping his face in her hands.  Wait until you hear the rest, he says.  They stand in front of the closed doors.  Well open it, luv, she urges.  Desmond seems reluctant, but finally throws the doors open.  It's empty, says Leticia, and starts to walk in.  No, he warns, holding her back, don't go in there.  Right before their eyes, the room changes--they spot Trask fall to the floor, the letter opener in his gut.  It's all true, says Desmond--parallel time!

Help! Trask calls weakly--somebody help me!  He falls over, bloodstains on his shirtfront.  He's dead, says Leticia. They watch PT Julia enter and discover the dead undertaker.
After examining him, she calls frantically for Flora, who joins her.  Oh no! she says.  Who is he? asks Julia--have you ever seen him before?  Flora shakes her head--it's happened, she says, it's finally happened.  Where did he come from? asks Julia, why was he here?  I don't know, says Flora, but it's finally happened--what we've feared and dreaded!  Shh, cautions Julia, closing the double doors in Desmond's and Leticia's faces.  The young couple stares at each other.

1841PT - No one must know, says Julia quietly.  Everyone will, objects Flora.  Not if we're clever, says Julia.  First poor Stella, now this stranger! laments Flora.  Shush, says Julia, someone is in the hall. What will we do? asks Flora.  Julia opens the doors to checks, returns to Flora and says, we must get id of the body--now.  The two women get down to the task.  It's 11:50.

Mama, Julia! cries Melanie, out in the hallway outside the parallel time doors--she enters the room, noting that it's two o'clock--Mama, where are you?  Julia and Flora enter.  Mama, where have you been? asks Melanie-we've been hunting for you for hours!  What is it? asks Julia.  Has someone come? queries Flora.  Tell us! says Julia.  It's Papa, he's dying! wails Melanie.
Then the lottery will happen again, says Julia--before the week is over.  Flora looks solemn, Melanie, horrified.

NOTES:  Curtis sprang for quite a large cast in this last show of 1840/41/1971, seven or eight, plus all those extras for guards and executioners?  His limit was usually six.

I know that those who feel Julia and only Julia deserved Barnabas, watching this episode was especially hard.  To confess to poor Julia that Angelique was his one true love and never knew it had to hit her hard--but they returned to a future where Angelique no longer existed, although in some fan fiction, she comes back with a vengeance.  Back then, I felt it most romantic and appropriate.  I accepted that Angelique had changed, incredibly rapid though it may have been.  I was only 16, of course, and wanted Barnabas to end up with someone young--and somehow, it seemed as though he and Angelique had been together, in one way or another, since 1795, and had a long shared history--and deserved each other.  Now, 30+ years older, I feel Julia deserves him.  Still it always chokes me up to see Barnabas and Angelique's final goodbye.

It is wonderful to know that everything in 1971 is all right, the Collinses don't even remember the haunting (unlike 1897 where they somehow did).  Everything is normal, Roger is making a speech, the kids, Carolyn and Quentin are just fine, and as far as Liz is concerned, Stokes, Julia and Barnabas have never been anywhere but right there.

I am thrilled Desmond and Leticia got their happy ending, too.  I liked this sweet young couple very much, and rooted for them then, and do so now.  They deserve happiness, and you know they'll have it.

Only Barnabas got the short end of the stick in 1840/41--again.  Poor guy, I hope that someday, he gets the happiness he has earned by doing so much for others.

We never see Joanna Mills again; I guess we can take it that she returned to her grave.  Perhaps her ghost forced Sam's ghost to write that note telling Quentin the truth about Tad!  LOL!  We'll never know.  But don't Daphne and Quentin wonder where Joanna went?

Now, and this is a BIG spoiler, so don't read it if you don't want to know something huge!  This was the last episode we shall ever see of this show in regular time.  You will never again see RT Barnabas or Julia, or see their love lives resolved.  DARK SHADOWS finishes its run with 1841PT, the final storyline, which we will see now, and which, at the accelerated rate of two eps per day, will only last another month and a half.  I didn't know this when we went to 1841PT the first time, and only learned of DS' upcoming demise a month before it left the air--a very sad time for me.  I fully expected to see at least one more episode or even a scene from 1971RT, but had no idea that Jonathan Frid no longer wished to play Barnabas and he had put that role behind him--hence, Bramwell Collins.

Love, Robin