Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0708  (Read 840 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0708
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
Robservations #708

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0708

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »
Welcome Evan Hanley!!  It's just an endless parade of great characters now.  Welcome Jamison!  It seems they've been having trouble with the microphones picking up voices properly lately...  We learn Quentin learned knife throwing on the ship home.  He really ought to cut out the gypsy strangling, for his own good...  The Petofi Box above the fireplace in the Drawing Room?!  Jamison swipes will... Barnabas threatens Quentin...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
Barnabas tells Edward that he only talked to Edith about the necklace he gave her.

Welcome back, HAA!!!! And welcome, Evan Hanley, surely a descendant of the Judge Hanley who sentenced Vicki to death by hanging back in 1796. Apparently he and Quentin have a long history that involves meetings of some kind. Hmmmm.... In practically the same breath, Quentin chides him for marrying such an extravagant wife (but since she's never seen or heard of again, we can forget about her) and threatens him with blackmail if he won't help Quentin forge a new will.

Barnabas and Edward emerge from the study, and Barn meets Evan. While Barnabas no doubt reflects on the resemblance between Evan Hanley and Nicholas Blair, he hears a child’s scornful laughter. He turns and spots Jamison (wearing a suit with knickers) on the upstairs landing. Barnabas gives him a friendly hello, realizing this can only be Jamison Collins [who a long time from now will be the father of Elizabeth and Roger]. Jamison is the only honest Collins in the bunch and reveals that Evan hated Great-grandmother, and she hated him right back. Jamison is afraid to see his great-grandmother's body--but says he'll be okay if Quentin is with him. Jamison and Barn are getting along just fine until Jamison realizes that Barn doesn't like Quentin. You’re just like all the others, he says in disgust and anger. Well, I don’t like you either! So there! He runs off to the service door, leaving Barnabas disconcerted.

Meanwhile, Quentin attempts to strangle the location of Edith's will out of Magda--without success. As soon as Magda gets her breath back, her old cockiness returns too. She'll tell Quentin where the will is--for five dollars. She's astounded when he gives her twenty. The will, he reminds her. Who has it? He grabs her arm and shouts, Tell me where it is! Magda pulls away from him. I don’t care who gets it, she says with contempt and real sorrow. My friend is dead, and Judith wouldn’t even let me see the body. The will is in Edith’s casket, she reveals at last. I don’t believe you, Quentin says. It’s in the lining, Magda assures him. Her voice full of contempt, she lets him have it: She wanted you to think of her--_Edith_! Not the money--_Edith_! She said, “They will have to look at my body to find the will.” She knew that you would all fight over the money and not think of her at all!

Since strangling didn't work, Quentin threatens Magda with one of Sandor's throwing knives. She tells him flatly that he gets nothing, and anyway, Edith knew he would lose whatever he got before the year was out. Quentin leaves. Barn, who was listening at the door, returns just in time to see Magda give Quentin's back the gypsy equivalent of the finger. Barn asks her, Did you tell him that someone knew the secret? Caught, Magda looks down at her feet for inspiration, but none is forthcoming. Barnabas warns her, You are accumulating things that you will pay for, madam.

Quentin and Jamison have a happy meeting in the foyer. I’ve never lied to you, Quentin reminds him [and it may very well be true]. I was so scared I couldn’t sleep the first night. Why are afraid to go into the study? he asks. Jamison says nervously, I’m afraid Great-grandmother will sit up, start to rise from her coffin. With a laugh, Quentin comments, That would be worth going through, just to see. It isn’t funny, Jamison frets. No, of course it isn’t, Quentin agrees soberly, but it will be, after you go into the room. I’ll listen outside the door, and at the slightest noise, I’ll come in. Lowering his voice, he says confidentially, I dreamed there was a secret place in the coffin, a false lining facing her right hand. There’s a message in there for me. I want you to bring it to me. You’re just making that up! Jamison says. I’m not, Quentin insists. The dream said you would bring me the message and never say one word about it to anyone. Will you do it? Or are you afraid? Jamison runs off to the study, utterly clueless about how his beloved uncle is using him.

Edward and Evan have an envelope that Edith gave Judith--not the will, but a letter saying where the will is. Quentin watches as Edward opens the envelope. Meanwhile, Jamison finds the will in the coffin lining and takes it. As Edward, Evan and Quentin continue talking, Barn very slowly descends the stairs--but from where?

Jamison hides behind a huge armchair when Edward comes into the study. Without even looking at Edith's face, Edward looks for the will but finds nothing.

Edward rushes out of the study to tell the others, The will isn’t there! I don’t understand it! Barnabas listens intently as Quentin suggests, Perhaps she never got the chance to put it where she intended. [One wonders just how early Edith preordered her coffin!] Evan suggests the gypsies stole it. Quentin says, I think we should search the house. Make a game out of it: Find Grandmama’s will! No, Edward declares stuffily. We won’t make a game of it, but we will find it! Shouting for Judith, Edward leads Evan upstairs.

So the merry chase begins! Quentin chortles to Barnabas. There’s one way to stop it, Barnabas says, and you can do it. How? Quentin asks. You have the will, Barnabas declares. The clock starts chiming as Barnabas warns, I’ll leave you now. There’s only one thing you have to decide in the next hour--how to give it back. Because if you don’t, I will have to do something about it--something drastic! Giving Quentin a final glare, he turns on his heel and leaves the house, leaving Quentin to wonder about his cousin’s definition of “drastic.”....

Big question: If Edith is dead, who placed the will in her coffin?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »
Caught, Magda looks down at her feet for inspiration...

Like.

Big question: If Edith is dead, who placed the will in her coffin?

Oh yeah...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
Eventually I decided it must have been Magda, but I have no evidence to support that conclusion.