Author Topic: Login Question  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Login Question
« on: November 15, 2003, 01:29:46 AM »
At home, I click on "Always stay logged in".

But at work, I have to log in.

What would happen if at work, I also clicked on "Always stay logged in"?

Also, on XP, there's different users; so, if my husband or daughter is online as themselves, I again have to log in (even though same system, same IP)...

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Login Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 02:48:01 PM »
at work, I have to log in.

What would happen if at work, I also clicked on "Always stay logged in"?

A cookie would be saved on your work computer so that you'd always be logged in, but I don't know if that would be a good idea. Most companies don't like their employees to be surfing the Web during work hours (even though hundreds if not thousands do it  ;)), and a cookie from the forum would be a dead giveaway. It might be best to always log in at work.  :)

Also, on XP, there's different users; so, if my husband or daughter is online as themselves, I again have to log in (even though same system, same IP)...

Do you mean you have to log into the computer, the forum, or both?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 11:55:43 PM »
If I'm in as Patti, and in here, then Walter goes under his name & also goes online, then, in address bar (still in Walter) I go here, I have to again login.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 07:15:35 PM »
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if your husband is logged into WinXP and you visit the forum without logging him out and logging yourself into XP, you have to log into the forum. If that's right, then that would make sense. The cookie that the forum stored on your computer when you were logged into XP as yourself would have been stored in a directory that XP assigned for your use - not your husband's. (He has a separate directory from you). You should find that you're only automatically logged in on the forum when you're also logged into XP as yourself.  ;)