Author Topic: The Night of the Sun and the Moon  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Night of the Sun and the Moon
« on: November 09, 2003, 01:52:44 AM »

Total eclipse of the moon -- and it's happening right now!!!   ;D ;D ;D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
SCARY PHENOMENON IN N.E.!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 02:07:50 AM »
oooohhhhhh.....

why did the moon disappear at 8:04pm est???

Where did the moon go??? It was daaaarkkk and shadddowwwyyy......

;DPatti ;D
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:The Night of the Sun and the Moon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 03:33:55 AM »
I was thrilled to see the moon in partial eclipse, but I'm extremely disappointed and irritated with myself that I couldn't manage to time things to see the total eclipse.  I ran into the computer lab for "only a few minutes," but of course that stetched into an hour or so, and so I missed the total eclipse.  I didn't know the exact time of the total eclipse (8:06 p.m. ET) until after the fact, otherwise I could have interrupted my activities here and gone outside at that time.

What I did see was breathtaking, though.

I wonder how long we have to wait until the next "Night of the Sun and the Moon."  Does anyone watch for and plan for these events?  If so, do you recommend the Farmer's Almanac, or another resource.  I'd like to plan better next time -- it's usually hit or miss with these events for me, whether I've happened to see something in the media.

There's something very powerful to my mind about an eclipse, especially a total eclipse like this one.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 04:38:36 AM »
Its so cloudy here you can't see it!!!! [furious]

I have seen it once though.....

Darn clouds!!
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 08:37:39 AM »

I wonder how long we have to wait until the next "Night of the Sun and the Moon." 

I understand the next one is suppose to be October 27th, 2004.

I did manage to catch it and it was really something to see.  My neighbor came out with a good pair of binoculars and it was great! The sky was very clear here, although it brrrr cold, around 30 degrees already. (My Mom had been reminding me all week about this!)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 08:18:09 PM »
We got a good view of it last night. Went out for Japanese with the family, and after dinner, quite a few folks from the restaurant hung out in the parking lot to moongaze. It was kind of a neat moment, with lots of folks hanging out and chatting.

I did hear a bunch of wolf howls, but I think at least some of them came from my wife.

--Mark[/font]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 09:20:47 PM »
You know Mark, I wasn't going to mention anything, BUT....

I did hear a few dogs howling (which I usually wouldn't of at that time of night).

Does anyone know the truth about dogs howling at the moon (and, if they'd freak with an eclipse)?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 09:39:45 PM »
When our Siberian was a puppy she would howl at the dark.  Moon never made any impression on her at all, but the minute you shut all the lights out to go to sleep, she'd throw her head back and howl like a wolf...out of lonliness, we always figured. Scared the be-geezus out of a few of the neighbors.

Now she's old and can't be bothered howling at anyone or anything.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 11:21:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their comments.  I've seen a total eclipse of the moon in the past, in fact wasn't there one just last summer?  I remember running around outside late at night to see it, and I know it was shorts/T-shirt weather ... it doesn't seem to have been that long ago, but on the other hand, it doesn't make sense that there would have been a total eclipse of the moon only a couple of months ago....

The media is only of midling help with these things.  From the snatches I had heard on news reports last week, one seemed to be saying that the total eclipse would only be visible in Europe (which obviously was way off base) ... so I wasn't sure what to expect.  It turned out to have been perfect viewing, at least where I'm located, which is why I'm still upset at not having seen the actual moment of the total eclipse.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 12:34:13 AM »
Vlad...I had forgotten; I logged on to come here, when the main page mentioned eclipse.

Here in central NJ it was clear and cold.

We started watching at about 7:35pm est; it was about 1/3 covered.

Funny thing, when it was fully covered (or close), it seems cloudy over the moon. It was more interesting when partially covered, IMHO.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 06:09:46 PM »
Funny thing, when it was fully covered (or close), it seems cloudy over the moon. It was more interesting when partially covered, IMHO.

Thanks, Patti, I feel better hearing that.  My mom had said the same thing, so I guess with two people saying it, there must be something to it.  It would be nice to have the time to watch the entire event next time.  It was really cold here, too, so a summer eclipse (like on DS) would be the best.

It's too bad the Summer of 1970 storyline didn't make more of the eclipse ... they could have shown the eclipse starting to happen, etc., and build suspense that way.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 03:55:52 PM »
   I live in Maine and the night of the eclipse was very cold and clear.  When the moon was fully covered it was a soft glowing orange. I was nagging my husband to get out his telescope but he didn't.  I am sorry you missed it, Vlad.  I thought it was beautiful.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer