Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0657  (Read 731 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0657
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Robservations #657

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0657

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
Don Briscoe VO.  So Vicki is hovering as a... ghost?  [spoiler]She could be the 1968 ghost of a Vicki who died in 1795/6, but I don't think that's what they're going for.  Somehow, she's something like a ghost, only she's a living spirit in 1795 projecting her will and consciousness ahead in time to 1968.  I wonder what it looks like in 1795, as she's doing this.  Is she in the cell, putting herself into a trance?  Is she just concentrating very hard, maybe mumbling commands to her clothes to go back into her closet?[/spoiler]

Vicki the like-a-ghost has lilacs as her ghost scent, as Josette had jasmine, when she was contacting Vicki in early 1967.  All this, the clothes-back-in-the-closet trick, encountering the music box again, it's all too much for Barnabas, as you would expect.  J Frid plays it well.  It's up to him to convey the emotions interestingly, since they're not really written into the lines.  His look as he opens the music box on his own speaks volumes, as they say.  Thank you, JF. 

At the start of this ep, we can't tell which ghost is messing with the closets, a nice only-on-DS sort of problem...  Later on it becomes clear Vicki is present, leaving signs, because of the note in the music box, but the signs are so perfect for accomplishing Quentin's plan for keeping the kids at Collinwood, that you have to wonder if some of it is him.  And was there any interaction between Vicki the near-ghost, and Quentin the really-a-ghost?  Did they bump into each other in the spirit realm, and work out a joint plan?  Again, questions that only DS viewers would be challenged to ask!

We recieve from Amy's lips an important bit of data on Quentin: He can't affect physical objects (outside his room I guess).  The music box opening was proof for Amy that another spirit is present.  So I still think Quentin's whole deal is that he must work his way out of his room, and increase in power, gradually with the children's help.  It's hardly my theory.  Probably Lydia's.

Clarice was good, as always.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
My notes say that Don Briscoe reads the opening voiceover in a deep, arresting voice.

Barn tells Maggie and Mrs. J that Vicki is gone and isn't coming back. His voice is harsh with misery. He still refers to her as Vicki Winters, never as Vicki Clark or even Vicki Bradford. After they leave, free at last to give vent to all his misery, which is reflected in his face, Barnabas circles the room unhappily as he plays the music box one last time. (This may actually be almost the last time we hear it.) And yes, thank you, JF.

MT, you bring up an interesting point, but I sort of doubt if Vicki and Quentin can interact because of the time difference. After all, they are a century apart now. I also think that if Vicki knew about Quentin, she would trt to warn the family to which she became so devoted when she was in the 20th century. I like it that she wore a lilac scent.

The kids are really cruel to Barnabas when Amy "mysteriously" unpacks her own clothes in imitation of what happened in Vicki's room.

Chris visits Amy, and Barn tells him that Joe has gone off the deep end. (Always the soul of discretion, he doesn't mention the Angelique affair, and anyway, why would Chris believe him?) Chris is anxious to know why, but Barnabas hasn't a clue (yet). Meanwhile, the kids start gaslighting Maggie and Mrs. J.

MT, you are absolutely right (IMHO) about Quentin, who is still trapped inside his room and must work his will through the children. Even though he takes David under his control, Amy still knows more about him than David does, [spoiler]for reasons that eventually will become clear.[/spoiler] He needs them to stay at Collinwood to free him and Beth.

I do admire the way the writers deal with the different ghosts and what they can and can't do. [spoiler]Of the whole pack of them, Josette can move objects but can't materialize when she does so; but she does appear and speak to Vicki. Sarah is even more powerful--the strongest of them all.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
Good post DL, and I totally missed it, when Amy faked her clothes appearing back in her closet.  Clever of her.  I guess Q wasn't part of this...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Thanks, MT! I agree with you about Amy's clothes. Quentin probably gave the kids general instructions on how to prevent the adults from taking them away.

In the Collins universe, ghosts can be seen or heard, but never both at once, with the exceptions I noted in my last post. So far, Quentin is the weakest of them all, unless you count his formidable powers of persuasion.

A long time from now, [spoiler]we will meet another ghost associated with lilacs. But she doesn't speak for quite a while because Kate Jackson didn't have her union card yet.[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
I have to wonder if the future lilac lady was supposed to be the return of Vicki Winters.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:03:53 AM »
The ghost of Vicki, that would have been really interesting.  Kate Jackson would have been a perfect recasting for Vicki I think.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
Nope, sorry.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:37 AM »
I like that Amy has a psychic ability and much later we learn why. I still wonder why bring Maggie on and then decide to send the children away. I suppose that it has to do with Elizabeth's unexpected death changing plans.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times