Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0651  (Read 760 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0651
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Robservations #651

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0651

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »
Liz and Barnabas have to deal with Vicki just having disappeared.  Jeff's disappearance was somewhat easier to take, I imagine.  I always find such moments interesting.  I think about having to accept something like that, for real, in the real world, and having to accept it long term.  Could we?  Or would we have to do weird mental somersaults to deny what we'd seen?  This sets off Liz's buried-alive fears again.  Liz walks off to... her mausoleum, or Barnabas's?  I looked at the wall in front of us with a window and arch above the window, and wondered if that was in the Mausoleum.  If it's the same old Mausoleum, then Eagle Hill is officially adjacent to Collinwood now, rather than five miles north of town.  Not only does Liz get there, but Amy too.  Liz collapses just outside.

Chris just barely manages to get Joe out of his room in time for the transformation, but has to ruin their relationship to do it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
When you put it that way, it sounds a little bit like a death. We have to get used to the fact that we'll never see that person again in life.

Chris asks the operator to get him 7758. The phone rings at the Great House, even though that isn't the usual phone number for Collinwood!) I guess the Collinwood exchange is the only one in town! Chris asks for Julia, but Barnabas tells "Jennings" (without the Mister) that there's been an emergency with Mrs. Stoddard--too much information?

Barnabas practically wails, Why did HE have to come and take her away? Why? WHY? It was Vicki's choice to make, Julia replies, but that’s the last thing Barnabas wants to hear. Julia tells him, I spoke with Vicki after Jeff's disappearance. She was willing to sacrifice her life to be with him. This only makes Barnabas furious. Julia says, You must accept this for your own peace of mind! Through clenched teeth, Barnabas says, I'll accept she's gone and that I'll never see Vicki again--but I blame Jeff for interfering in the first place! I can't force you to see what you should see, Julia sighs patiently.

Meanwhile, poor Chris is without the sleeping pills Julia promised him. Amy wishes he could have come to the movies with her and Joe. After Joe leaves, she looks up at the sky, fearful when she sees the full moon. Although she's been at Collinwood only a short time, she has already adapted to the decor and is dressed entirely in green, even her shoes. Chris also knows that the moon is full--and why it's so frightening.

Barnabas told Julia he wanted to see Elizabeth, but where was he? Not with Elizabeth, because he would have known that she has left the house. Maybe he went back to Vicki’s room to indulge his misery one more time. With the gentle manner he always reserves for small children (and which JF does so nicely), he tries to explain to Amy about Elizabeth, but becomes alarmed when Amy says she left the house. After he leaves to get Julia, Amy puts on her green coat and runs out.

Chris finally goes to Collinwood, and Julia gives him the sleeping pills. At the mausoleum, Elizabeth tells Amy that soon people will think that she (E.) is dead but she won't be, and she'll be buried alive. If Elizabeth weren't under Angelique's spell, she would never say such terrible things to a little kid.

Poor Chris! Poor Joe!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:42 AM »
It has always upset me that they had Joe mention leaving town with some job prospects to look at.  Why couldn't they just leave it at that and have Amy or Chris mention that he moved away?

[spoiler]I HATED Joe's final episode.  Felt it was unnecessary[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »
DL, the part of it I was concemtrating on was the difficulty trying to accept that you just lost someone, a real flesh and blood person, to a clearly supernatural phenomenon.  I wonder what it does to your sense of reality.  Accepting that in real life is different from accepting it on a TV show, and I wonder what that would feel like.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
Yes, I guess the supernatural part would play havoc with your sense of reality, somewhat like the floor dropping out from under your feet.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:35:47 AM »
I am always amazed how Barnabas is almost always so oblivious to Julia's feeling for him and thinks only of himself. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »
I never quite got why it takes so long for Chris' werewolf curse to kick in, since clearly the moon has been up for quite some time before he actually goes through the transformation.

It always strikes me as a bit odd - but in a good way - when a character in DS actually makes a reference to some mundane aspect of the real, non-supernatural world such as going to a movie. That set me off on speculating what movie Joe and Amy had just seen (provided it was a then-current film). Seeing as it's December 1968, my bet is on "Oliver!" or "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." Guess we'll never know for sure.