Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0625  (Read 954 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0625
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »
Robservations #625

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0625

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »
Eve's a mind reader, and anticipated Jeff's weirdass reaction to a letter nearly proving that he's Peter Bradford.  In her omniscience, Eve just knew that instead of clutching the letter to his chest in joy, running to Vicki immediately, and bellowing triumphantly that he just found out the coolest and most romantic thing about himself, that he actually willed himself out of death and 175 years into the future for the sake of her love, and that he found this out on their wedding night, of all times.... Eve knew that Jeff, in his dufusishness, would instead choose to be creeped out about this miracle, and assume he was about to disappear or wake up in his grave the next day, or something.   It all makes the feat he pulled off sort of pointless, doesn't it?   I'm SO sorry Jeff, you hit the stratosphere of romantic acts, you dumb lovestruck devil you, deal with it!   Well, I guess he can stop worrying about whether Lang made him out of spare parts too.

Then again, the uber-romantic execution-day letter he shows Vicki makes it appear that Peter was cheating on her with Roget.  Well if she don't mind, I guess I don't.... Good thing Liz didn't follow Jeff to the graveyard... she died there last time.  Roger does follow, and turns out to know more about Jeff supposedly being Peter than he really ought to.

The closing credits have thunder over them.  Why'd they choose a (stormy) night wedding?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
DS Wiki has some nice frame grabs of Vicki's beautiful wedding gown. Elizabeth tells her that every bride needs something borrowed--and lends her Naomi's own priceless wedding veil.

When Jeff returns with his letter from the past, he wants to see Vicki. Roger warns her that it's bad lucl for the groom to see the bride before the ceremony, but Vicki goes downstairs anyhow. Meanwhile, Roger laments the misfortune that seems to plague the Collinses and their friends, mainly because he’s worried Elizabeth will have a relapse.

Jeff shows Vicki the letter, which she reads with astonishment equal to his. He tells her he got it from a woman named Eve, who claims to have known him in 1795. MT, as far as I know, it never crosses Vicki's mind that Peter might have been two-timing her.

Jeff feels he can’t marry Vicki now. There’s one thing he has to do first, and he rushes off to the old cemetery do it, leaving Vicki in tears, insisting that his identity doesn’t matter to her. Upstairs, Roger thinks Elizabeth should wait for Vicki to return, but Elizabeth suddenly gets a flash of the family’s second sight: In her mind’s eye, she sees Vicki on the terrace and knows Vicki needs her. Elizabeth finds her on the terrace just as she had seen. Roger arrives a moment later, and Vicki tells them that Jeff said he was going to the old cemetery. Roger volunteers to make some excuse to the the guests (who manage to survive by remaining invisible). There certainly will be no wedding today.

Roger comes back from sending the guests away. Vicki tells him what Jeff told her; she is sure he won’t return today. Roger gamely sets off for Eagle Hill. Elizabeth has not had a relapse as Roger feared; instead, she is quite like her usual self and gives Vicki loving support throughout this ordeal.

Roger arrives at Eagle Hill just as Jeff, his tuxedo covered with dirt, is prying open Peter Bradford’s coffin. Please don’t do this, Roger begs him. Jeff insists, I must know if Peter Bradford is dead! I need to know the truth about myself before I can marry Vicki! Roger watches apprehensively as Jeff raises the lid....

BTW, we are just about at the mid-point in the series.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »

Wow, I still think of this as being near the beginning, sort of.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:21 PM »
I meant only numerically in terms of the number of episodes, but yeah, I see what you mean.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »

Let's see. There are 1225 eps in the entire series, so far there have been 6 preemptions, so, given that this is Ep #625, that means this is actually the 619th ep in the series. So, we already passed the mid-point in the series at the midpoint of Ep #619.  [snow_wink]

And it's interesting that the mid-point comes so close to Alexandra Moltke's last ep (Ep #627) because I tend to divide the series into two eras: The Vicki Era and The Quentin Era. And the differences are not just the fact that those two characters tend to define them - it's that even the tone of the show becomes different once Vicki departs and Quentin arrives.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »
Of course, MB! I hadn't considered the pre-emptions when I was trying to work it out. But Ep. 619 has its own feature of interest--at the end, Julia realizes that Angelique is the vampire.

The Vicki Era and the Quentin Era--I confess I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. [spoiler]I guess originally the defining story line was supposed to be Vicki's search for her roots, and the vampire story was supposed to end after 13 weeks (or whatever). But it is safe to say that with Barnabas un-vamped (at least for now), Quentin's story will become the main one.[/spoiler]

Actually, I don't know if that's a spoiler for anyone at this point....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »
I tend to divide the series into two eras: The Vicki Era and The Quentin Era. And the differences are not just the fact that those two characters tend to define them - it's that even the tone of the show becomes different once Vicki departs and Quentin arrives.

I intend to remember that idea and try it on for size, as I watch later episodes.  Thanks, MB.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
Jeff smokes on the terrace.  The wedding is cancelled and Elizabeth laments that nothing ever works out for any of us.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times