Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0620  (Read 944 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0620
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Robservations #620

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0620

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »
Julia is horrified that the vampire is Cassangelique. After a moment's panic, she gets hold of herself and enters the House by the Sea. She meets Adam, who is obviously sick and weak. Finally he convinces her that Barnabas isn't in the house and begs her to help them both. She hurries away.

Vicki returns to Barnabas and gives him a big gold cross. She still wants to get Julia, but he tells her, I don’t need Julia. I need no one but you and nothing but this. Clutching the cross, he finally relaxes into sleep.

Offscreen, Angelique has returned to the hut and discovered Barnabas missing. Out in the woods, she actually frets about what Nicholas will do to her. She sends her call to Barn, but armed with the cross, he is able to resist. Finally she returns to the House by the Sea and uses the magic mirror to locate him, shrinking back from even the reflection of the cross. Telling Adam that Barn wants to kill Eve, she convinces him to go and take the cross.

Barn still resists Angelique's call. No, no, don't let her come! he cries out and wakes up. Vicki asks who is frightening him, but he replies, No one. She decides to find Julia. Once she leaves, Adam gets the cross from Barnabas as easily as taking candy from a baby. He brings the cross to Angelique but is surprised when she flinches from it. Keep it away from me! she tells him and runs out.

Meanwhile, Vicki finds Julia at the Old House. Julia grabs her doctor's bag and they both race back to Collinwood. But they are already too late. Angelique calls the disarmed Barnabas again, and he staggers out of the room to obey.

Vicki warns Julia that Barn doesn't want any help. I'll deal with him, she says through gritted teeth, but they are both dismayed when they find the room empty.

I'll be the first (or among the first) to complain that this whole Ange-Barn thing is taking much too long, but then we wouldn't have this scene: Why did you leave the hut? Angelique asks Barnabas. Why didn’t you stay there? I couldn’t, Barnabas answers. You should have known I would find you, she scolds him. And send Adam to steal my cross! he retorts. It was necessary, Angelique answers. Necessary if I am to die--don’t you think I know that? Barnabas says bitterly. Angelique observes, And yet you come to me. As he sinks down onto a convenient rock, Barnabas asks with some wonder, What is this power of yours? Once I had it too. Once others felt drawn to me as I am to you now. Did I understand then, the feelings, the regret, the hatred that I feel now? You feel hatred for me? Angelique asks. You’re going to kill me tonight, Barnabas tells her rather than asking. Angelique agrees. You never gave up, did you? Barnabas realizes. I have loved you for so long, Angelique tells him, and now at last you need me as I have needed you. We will have eternity together. Eternity, Barnabas echoes bitterly: We’ll have our nights, both of us, and our days will be spent in coffins. That’s how we will be together--if Nicholas will even permit it. He will come to our coffins with a hatchet [what he says!] and a stake. When I die, Adam will die, he reminds her. Did you know that? I don’t care about Adam, Angelique retorts. Nicholas will, Barnabas points out. Are you afraid of Nicholas? Angelique asks. You should be too, Barnabas warns her, but she’s unconcerned. Nicholas wants to become human, she says scornfully. He is becoming more like a mortal man every day--and no mortal man can stop me. Finally Angelique has had enough talking. Come to me, she orders Barnabas. Come to me now. Let us start our journey together. His body cannot refuse her command. He approaches her, his eyes full of despair.

Vicki wants to organize the whole family to look for Barnabas, but Julia insists on getting only Willie. Vicki is also full of questions, which Julia promises to answer--AFTER they've found Barn. She explains that he would be embarrassed if everyone knew how sick he is. Vicki resigns herself and decides to search the Great House.

In her feral state, Angelique has no regard for privacy or comfort. Kneeling on the ground beside Barnabas, she has finished what she thinks was her final feeding. As she lifts her head from Barnabas’s throat, her lips stained with his blood, she looks ecstatic. I’m dying, Barnabas moans. Raising his head, she murmurs, Don’t be afraid, Barnabas. Barnabas faintly calls Vicki’s name despite Angelique’s mild annoyance. Don’t think of her, she says irritably. I love her, he protests faintly, thus sealing Vicki’s doom for sure if he hadn’t already. Soon you will love only me--now and forever, Angelique promises. The Collinwood rooster sounds its warning. Her face full of hope, Angelique tells Barnabas, I must leave now, but I will return at dusk. They will find your body here. And then your spirit will meet with mine, and we will be together, never to be parted--forever. Forever, Barnabas echoes--in despair....

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
I could never understand how in her vampire state she could use the magic mirror!

Josette

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Good point, Josette. But that doesn't seem to be what it's for. I don't remember either pre-vamp Angelique or even the overwhelmingly vain Nicholas using it to check their appearance.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:31 AM »
That was a good scene with Ang and Barn, though in this stretch I think J Frid is having a bit of trouble completely staying in character and being weak and helpless at the same time.   It's like he has to take the Barnabas part off like a coat a bit, because it's so hard to play the character that way.   Still, a few good, tragic lines, about their future together.   I missed his ruminating about his own power as a vampire, what it was like for others.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
I always liked when Barn ruminated about how his own vampiric powers affected his victims. I also very much like your image of the "Barnabas part" as a kind of coat. Very cool.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »
Julia points out that Angelique is Cassandra o the feeble minds of the diencephalic who might not get it. Barnabas holds a cross and it seems to make him resistant to Angelique and one wonders why no other victim did this before. She is not afraid of Nick anymore, he wants to be human. Vickie does not understand all the secrecy.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
It was like a little deadpan comedy routine, Adam offering Ang the cross, and her being driven out of the room by all the attempts.   I think other vampire victims didn't protect themselves with crosses because they didn't want to.    Barnabas has better resistance.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor