Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0614  (Read 936 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0614
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
Robservations #614

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0614

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
Clarice Blackburn owns this episode.  I want to thank her for committing so much to DS when others found it so hard to.   Good for Mrs. Johnson, getting right in there and grappling with Joe.  Then when it makes no difference, she's forced to stand there while it continues, ineffectually, in horror.  That shows us a very strange and real sort of moment.   

What does Roger tug on absent-mindedly, a sort of red sash hanging on the wall to the left of the fireplace?  What could that thing be and what purpose could it possibly serve?   So there was a Jonah Collins, born in 1840.  No there wasn't.   A kid of Gabriel's maybe?  Did his kids have names?

Poor, befuddled, out-of-her-depth Mrs. J..   Why is Joe in the mausoleum?  Why does Roger think Liz can be squeezed in amongst ancient relatives from another century, who presumably planned it all for three known bodies and one unknown?   Why does Roger think all the town will be talking because they build another very average-looking mausoleum (do the town gossips hang out there?), and why would working on the present one be less conspicuous?   I thought there was Eagle Hill five miles away with that one Collins mausoleum, and the Collins cemetary on the estate for everyone else.  Maybe I got that from a 1991 series estate map though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
it was a bell pull. it was used to summon domestic servants in large houses like Collinwood...

in this particular instance mrs. Johnson.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
it was a bell pull. it was used to summon domestic servants in large houses like Collinwood...

in this particular instance mrs. Johnson.

Thanks...  probably it was only used that once...?  All the really nice houses use a noose!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
Mrs. J, of all people, rescues Barnabas from Joe. Afterward, Joe wanders disconsolately around the woods, still in his cut-open turtleneck and five o’clock shadow, and looking quite fetching, I must say.

Roger finally convinces Elizabeth to let him arrange a resting place for her in "Old Joshua"'s mausoleum.  When Elizabeth and Roger get to Eagle Hill, Elizabeth looks around fearfully. She tells Roger, The dead walk here. The spirits are watching us. They envy us--they hate us because we are alive. I hear the groans of our ancestors, jealous of the living and frustrated by their own unfulfilled lives. She notes the tomb of Jonah Collins, who died in 1862 at the age of 23 (in the Civil War, I suppose), but that is all we will ever learn about him, maybe because Joe, who was hiding in the corner of the mausoleum, collapses at their feet.

At Collinwood, Mrs. Johnson tells Harry (whom she once lectured about not being allowed in the front of the house, but she herself enters through the front door) about Joe’s attack. I just can’t figure out people anymore, she sighs. It’s as though everyone has lost control of his senses, even a sane man like Mr. Barnabas. I just hope I never have to go through a day like this again, she tells her son. Harry flips out at this news because obviously Joe is supposed to be dead--not that Harry regrets escaping being an accessory to murder, mind you. His comments immediately make his mother suspect that he knows more than he’s telling, but she can’t get anything useful out of him. However, he does keep her from calling the sheriff by pressing down the switchhook and arguing with her.

When Julia arrives at Collinwood, Mrs. Johnson tells her about Joe’s dreadful behavior. She also mentions (again) how Harry found Mr. Barnabas unconscious in the woods the night before, and how Barnabas refused all medical attention, even from Julia. Julia barely has time to register all this before Elizabeth and Roger come back, with Roger supporting Joe. While they settle Joe on the couch in the drawing room, he raves, I have to kill him! I have to kill him! For about the eightieth time, poor Mrs. Johnson now has to tell them about how Joe tried to kill Barnabas.

Harry might have stopped his mother, but of course he can do nothing to prevent Roger from calling the police.....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
[spoiler]If 1840 is taken as another PT due to the stairway..Jonah Collins could be one of Ediths sons.  That would mean he died the same year as his father, as Edith stated her husband dies 34 years before 1897.  [/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
What an interesting idea, Joey! I hadn't thought of that before, but it's perfectly plausible. Thanks!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »
I enjoyed the Roger and Elizabeth Quarrel. I'm not sure how you redo a mausoleum? A new wing, updated coffins?  "Everyone tells me the sensible thing to do is the crazy thing to do"   Mrs. J.  Great line.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times